Start by marking “Crown of Bones (Amassia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Bones (Amassia, #1)

Crown of Bones

(Crown of Bones #1)

Raise. Your. Phantom.

For fans of epic fantasies and sweeping adventures, this ensemble cast will immerse you in a world of unique magic, breathtaking action and unforgettable characters.

In a world on the brink of the next Great Dying, no amount of training can prepare us for what is to come …

A young heir will raise the most powerful phantom in all of Baiseen.

A dangerous Hi
Published January 5th 2021 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Bones, please sign up.
A.K. Wilder I only just saw this question, and it is a good one. Thanks for asking!

I only just saw this question, and it is a good one. Thanks for asking!

Originally when the series was acquired, it was marked for the 2019 release. Then Macmillian, who is the distributor for EntangledTeen, shuffled things around. (there are a lot of reasons for these kinds of changes, what other titles are released at the same time etc). Then, it was slated for August 4th, 2020... But soon after, Stephanie Myer announced her release of Midnight Sun for that same date. When a title like Midnight Sun comes out, most bookshop shelf space is reserved for it so... the marketing team landed on January 5, 2021.

I apologize for the delay, and it is confusing, but that's publishing! :)

January 5th is it. No stopping this train now! (less)
A.K. Wilder Yes, I would say clean, though Ash does swear in other languages (not contemporary languages, but the ones I made up for this fantasy world).

So she m…more

So she might say, "Demon's stuggs!" when she's upset but there is no cursing we recognize. If that makes sense.

There is some nudity but not related to sex as we have a species of sentient beings that live in the sea. The nudity is not 'depicted' but words like breasts, naked, and 'not a stitch of clothing' are in there when referring to the sea-dwelling beings.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for asking!(less)

Start your review of Crown of Bones (Amassia, #1)
Lucie V.
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley (thank you Entangled Publishing). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Crown of Bones is a story of adventure, friendship, and romance. The magic system is original and easy to understand. Savants can call forth a phantom, and as they gain power and mastery over their phantom, they acquire robes of different colors, brown being the lowest, then there is blue, green, yellow, orange, and red is the highest rank (except the black robes, but they are in a
A.K. Wilder
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This book is my heart. Waiting on more edits. So excited about the Cinco de Mayo release date!

Check the new site - akwilder.com> - for concept art, excerpts and all the behind the scenes goodies.

YES! You can throw the bones for a card reading too. :)

I can't wait to hear what you all think!

All paths are good,

xxAK
Shauni
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to Entangled Teen for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book has everything I look for in a YA fantasy. An unassuming yet charming MC who finds herself joining up with a band of quirky friends on a journey that turns out nothing like they expected. There's adventure on land and high-sea. A unique magic system, topped off with suspense and a budding romance.

The characters are well-developed and the world-building was easy to follow yet immersive. I really enj
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I loved this book! I really didn't know a whole lot about this book but I thought it sounded interesting so I decided to give it a try. I am so glad that I did because I was completely captivated by the amazing storytelling within its pages. I hated to put the book down when I had to do other things and when I wasn't reading, I was thinking about this story. It was one of those rare books that just worked for me on every level.

The wo
Celia McMahon
Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you, Edelweiss and Entangled for the review copy :D

Crown of Bones gives us a unique fantasy where people called Savants are able to conjure familiar-type creatures called Phantoms. With a mix of Avatar and Final Fantasy, it packs a punch with its interesting spin on a world where magic collides with political intrigue.

But unfortunately, this book did not do it for me.

I struggled with this review a lot because I did not hate the book, but certain niggling things hindered my experience. On
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss, netgalley
so!! many!! stunning!! covers!! for 2020!!

also if they don't literally throw bones at least once in here I am going to be disappointed
J.M. Buckler
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What a fun ride! Crow of Bones is a clean young adult read that keeps the reader guessing. I can spot a plot twist a mile away, but author A.K. Wilder’s clever writing acted as a blindfold. I never saw the jaw-dropping twists coming.

Though the author’s writing style catered toward the young adult genre, at times it felt restricted. Her new adult/adult background yearned to come out. The graphic combative scenes and sexual
Katie Prouty
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Remember to keep the company's number to five. In spite of the autumn chill, optimism wins out. Surprise comes from the sea. Don't resist it. When in doubt, go north. A sword brings truth and deception. Do not raise your phantom until safe on Aku."

Marcus Adicio, son of the Magistrate, Heir to the Throne, and a green-robed savant from Baiseen, on his initiation journey to the Isle of Aku. His warrior phantom has taken form, shared his name, and is more present. More real. Ash, the non-savant
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like one of those people who run marathons. Or compete in triathlon's. Which, I guess, is a weird thing to say because I'm comparing people exercising to me reading the Crown of Bones. Then again, I was exercising my brain in order to understand everything that was happening within this book. It is still weird to state such a thing.. but this book took me forever to complete and I just think it would take me forever
Kelly
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
Sadly, this book is going to go in the big pile of YA-Fantasies-with-a-gorgeous-cover-but-a-fail-nonetheless.

The cover and synopsis hooked me and I was excited to dive into the audiobook. Unfortunately, while I liked the beginning and it seemed promising (with the phantom and Ash's voice in her head) it quickly turned boring and nothing really grabbed me. Some things happened at the end but it was too little too late and I just didn't care anymore by that point.
Tricia
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fabulous debut YA epic fantasy adventure! The worldbuilding was top notch, a vast fantastical world that we've only just been introduced to. I'm super curious and excited to see even more of the inner depths explored in coming novels.

The characters were compelling and mostly multifaceted. I would have loved to see more past the surface on a few of the side characters, but we got a good feel for quite a few of them and that was nice. I think the alternating POV chapters helped us get
Adah Udechukwu
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Crown of Bones was really interesting
Maria
Jan 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Thanks for the free copy of Crown of Bones. All opinions are my own. The full review is available here.

The story follows Ash - a girl, seemingly without powers in a world of savants wielding phantoms, who's destined to record history but never make it, and Marcus - an heir to a throne threatened from all sides including from the inside. When Marcus is finally capable of summoning and holding to form his warrior phantom, they take the last chance travel to the island of Aku, where Marcus is to tr
biconique
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

~~
[September 29th, 2019]: this cover is literally the sexiest thing i've ever seen in my life ngl :o
Meigan
CROWN OF BONES was one of my most-anticipated 2021 releases, so my expectations were pretty high going in to this one. I'm happy to say that it delivered, though I must admit -- with a super interesting magic system, various realms on the brink of war, a hint of romance, and an amazing cast of characters, it was pretty much a guarantee that I would enjoy this one.

In this world, there are magic users called Savants that are classified by colors. Each color corresponds to a level of power, with re
Ellie Blackwood
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a YA fantasy about a young heir, Marcus, who must journey to the island of Aku to master his Phantom and prove himself (a Phantom is like an entity that is bound to you and you can call it to help you fight and stuff. Idk I’m probably butchering that explanation lol)

But wait! The story is ALSO about Ash, a lowly scribe who travels with Marcus to Aku in order to record his adventures and feats. But Ash is about to have an adventure of her own ... and learn she’s not as ordinary as she thi
Stephenie
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it
"I exhale, and it comes out as a whistle. He blinks, but then a crooked smile tugs at his mouth. Oh, by the Deep, let the deck swallow me whole."

Crown of Bones is the first book in a new YA epic fantasy series that follows a group of friends and their journey from Baiseen to the Isle of Aku for the initiation trials.

Marcus is the heir to the throne of Baiseen, a green robe and he has selected his group of five to accompany him to Aku, where he hopes to earn his yellow robe. Ash, is his best frie
Christine Schlueter
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelley
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Crown of Bones is the first installment in A. K. Wilder's Crown of Bones series. Wilder has created a world of savants and phantoms, and creatures made to serve those who call them. Amassia is the third planet from the sun whose seven continents have, over millenniums, formed a single landmass surrounded by sea. *Think Earth before the continental drifts separated the 7 major continents we have today.*

*Full Review @ Gizmos Review
Christie«SHBBblogger»
DNF no rating

As much as I tried, I just couldn't get through this book. I kept putting it down and picking it back up in the attempt to engage with the story, but it just wasn't happening. I've read enough books to know when I'm trying to force things and that never works. I really hate giving up on an advanced copy, but sometimes we must wave the white flag.

Tyffany
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin! :D

When Entangled Teen reached out to me and asked if I would like an ARC of this beautiful book, I wasn't really sure what to expect because I wasn't familiar with the author. But the cover is stunning and the concept drew my attention so I jumped on in.

And I'm SO glad I did.

Crown of Bones toes a careful line between YA and adult; the content is YA, with the exception of some brutal fight scenes (which tbh I'm all here for) but the worldbuilding is rich and deep, and more reminis
Living My Best Book Life
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Crown on Bones is an amazing epic fantasy full of adventure, deception, and romance. This may be my first time reading A.K. Wilder, but it will not be my last.

I always get so excited to get immersed in a different world when I read YA fantasy novels. And boy did I feel that excitement and intrigue when I began reading Crown of Bones. From the very beginning, we meet Marcus and Ash. Marcus is the green-robe Heir to the throne of Baiseen and that comes with a lot of pressure. He has been struggli
Alison
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, review-copy
Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest

I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Crown of Bones was a fun adventure that pulls inspiration from fantasy tropes while infusing new touches.

The pacing was little breakneck as if trying to squeeze as much story in as possible. Prophecy like declaration? Check. Quest/journey? Check. Trial at a special school? Check. It managed to cover a lot of ground but not quite as well as I would have liked. There was a lot of time spent on the
Richel (letsreadshallwe)
3.5 Stars

“But maybe he is just like this, enchanting, demonstrative, a handhold here, arm in arm there… Can it be more than play to him?”

Crown of Bones is the first book in the new fantasy series by A.K. Wilder that revolves around Marcus, a green-robe savant, Ash, a non-savant (or is she really?), Kaylin, the mysterious guide and other group of friends and their journey to The Sacred Isle of Aku - an island realm where all initiate savants go to for training and advancement.

The world of Crown o
Rachel Emily
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I am clearly starting this year off strongly, because I thought this book was just fantastic!

Crown of Bones features some really excellent world building complete with its own language, history, and varied lands; a unique magic system that revolves around the ability to call your phantom - creatures that burst from the ground and can take on different qualities; and a great group of characters. I really enjoyed the set up, I thought the pace was pretty steady throughout, and I loved how eve
Nicole (FearYourEx)
3/5 stars

Thank you to Entangled Teen for sending me an early copy for review.

I have mixed feelings about this book, part of me wanted to give it 4 stars, BUT the beginning of the book had me super confused. When I first started the book it felt like I was just thrown in with little to no world building. Eventually things started to make sense and the author throws in the world building as you go.

I enjoyed the characters that we got POVs from: Ash, Marcus, Kaylin, and Salila. The rest of the char
Bookish Heidi
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an adventure! I didn't want to put this book down. I didn't want to miss out on any of this amazingness! I'm sad that it's over with and can't wait for the next book... I got serious HP patronus vibes and the writing is absolutely wonderful!

Marcus, the Heir of Baiseen, must journey to Aku to train to receive his yellow robes and prove to his father that he is worthy of taking over his kingdom. He must be able to control his phantom and so far, he can barely hold it to form. Ash, his scribe
MC
4.5/5 🦄

Wow I loved this book! It’s full of action, a bit a romance, amazing world building, and MAGIC! While the changes in POV (all written first person) caused me to slow down a bit, it was truly hard to put down this book! The world and the magic system were so amazing and it’s clear that there is a lot of information withheld from the main figures who represent the majority of the book leaving a great mystery for us to solve. It does suffer from the dreaded CLIFFHANGER—because seriously it
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Almost a year ago, I saw the cover for A.K. Wilder’s Crown of Bones. The cover is beyond amazing and piqued my interest. I read a deleted scene on the author’s website and had to know what a phantom was and what it actually meant to raise your phantom. When it came time to read the book, I forgot to read the blurb and thus had no idea what I was in for.

Crown of Bones is definitely an adventure. A.K. did an incredible job of world-building. She’s created this fantasy world on the continent of Ama
Chelsie
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Thank you to Entangled Teen and Netgalley for this free advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!

Rating: 3.5 stars (between I liked it and really liked it according to the Goodreads scale)

Marcus Adicio is the Heir to the throne of Baiseen. He can only keep the title if he can reach the legendary Isle of Aku, master his phantom, and earn his yellow robes. No pressure, right? Along for the journey is his best friend and recorder Ash, a non-savant ward of Master Brogal who dreams of visiting
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Escaping Eleven (Eleven Trilogy, #1)
  • The Stolen Kingdom
  • The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)
  • A Curse of Roses
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • The Silence of the Girls
  • Into the Heartless Wood
  • The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)
  • Of Wicked Blood (The Quatrefoil Chronicles, #1)
  • House of Bastiion (The Haidren Legacy, #1)
  • This Golden Flame
  • Lore
  • Unchosen
  • The Song of Achilles
  • Namesake (Fable, #2)
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)
Kim, born in the time of Gemini, is a fifth-generation decedent of the Wilders of Santa Cruz. In the spirit of adventure, she moved to Australia in 1981 and has lived there ever since.

She writes Epic Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Science Fantasy and Urban Fantasy under her birth name Kim Falconer.

The pen name A. K. Wilder is for her Young Adult books, a name chosen to honor the original custodians

Crown of Bones (2 books)
  • Untitled (Amassia, #2)

Articles featuring this book

If one of your favorite bookish activities is discovering fledgling authors, then you're in for quite a treat this year with the wonderful...