Start by marking “The Infinite Noise” as Want to Read:
The Infinite Noise

The Infinite Noise

(The Bright Sessions #1)

Lauren Shippen's The Infinite Noise is a stunning, original debut novel based on her wildly popular and award-winning podcast The Bright Sessions.

Caleb Michaels is a sixteen-year-old champion running back. Other than that his life is pretty normal. But when Caleb starts experiencing mood swings that are out of the ordinary for even a teenager, his life moves beyond “
Published September 24th 2019 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Infinite Noise, please sign up.
Jennifer Camillery The book covers some of the material in the podcast but it does not spoil the main events of the podcast, if that makes sense. Some events in the book…moreThe book covers some of the material in the podcast but it does not spoil the main events of the podcast, if that makes sense. Some events in the book (dealing with Caleb and Adam only) are in the podcast, but they are covered in further detail or from another point of view in the book. You are introduced to some characters that the podcast will go further into detail on and the book deepens your knowledge of Caleb and Adam's characters. You can read/listen in any order. (less)
Tsana Dolichva No. The book covers some of the same story as the start of the podcast, but from different perspectives.

Start your review of The Infinite Noise
Benjamin (The Maniac)
At this point in my life I will read anything with queer representation and a colorful cover.
Alice Oseman
The Bright Sessions is one of my favourite audio dramas and I was so excited to read one of its many sub-plots in novel form!! You don't need to have listened to TBS to enjoy this story, though. Such a fun, sweet, gentle romance with a superpower twist. If you're looking for something to read that'll just put a smile on your face, this is it!
Lola
3.5 stars. This is a story that is centered on human emotion, and we all know that teenagers have a lot of them as they are struggling to figure out who they are and where they belong and who is a friend and an enemy. This book brought me back to being a high school student and unsure of anything but still trying hard to find myself and stand out from the crowd. Caleb and Adam are two such young souls who need guidance and whose presence helps the other tremendously. Watching them grow closer ...more
Larry H
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 3.5 and 4 stars, so I rounded up.

Sixteen-year-old Caleb Michaels is handsome, popular, and athletic, running back on his high school football team. But lately he's been struggling emotionally and he can't figure out why. It's almost as if he is drowning in so many emotions all at once and he doesn't know where they're coming from, but he's finding it harder and harder to take.

When an encounter with a classmate turns violent and he doesn't even remember the situation escalating, Caleb
anna (readingpeaches)
rep: mlm mc, gay li with depression
Review on my blog.

You know that picture of a horse that starts really beautiful & detailed and ends like something drawn by a three-year-old? That's this book.

It starts really good, fun even, with a dual first person pov. It’s engaging, it’s interesting, it’s intriguing. You think you’re safe. You think you’re reading a solid four stars book. And then, in the last fifty pages or so, the spell breaks. (And you catch yourself thinking of all the little
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

After reading an excerpt I loved the idea of atypical abilities and having to deal with them through therapy. And Caleb is such a sweetheart. It became clear really early this is a queer story.

The cover art isn't quite to me taste BUT it totally fits The Infinite Noise! I loved how Caleb was yellow and Adam blue. That was run through the entire story! And you totally get what The Infinite Noise meant from the cover once you get a little
Hollis
There's a lot to love in THE INFINITE NOISE. Representation-wise, we have a protagonist who is Jewish and gay and plagued by depressive episodes, another who is.. well, we're never given his orientation on page, and also an empath who struggles with the overflow of emotions and lashes out in rage. There's also a ton of therapy. Positive therapy.

This world is based on a podcast where, as the book's blurb says, “What if the X-Men, instead of becoming superheroes, decided to spend some time in
Tara ☽
Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Everybody go right now and listen to the podcast this book will be based on, The Bright Sessions. I promise you won't regret it. It's literally just about people with superpowers going to therapy and I love it with all my heart. It features LGBTQ+ rep, mental health rep and characters you can't help but fall in love with. Also the superpowers. What more could you ask for?
Velvet
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
(I was given a short intro to this upcoming book in exchange for an honest review.)

What a great idea: Empaths who feel everything others feel. They empathize too much. It sounds like a book I'd love...but not. The dialogue, oh so much dialogue. I'm not asking for Stephen King-like 7-page descriptors of a dress but come on, give us something.

I need Caleb's words to sound a little more like a teen in 2019:

“I guess. I don’t know, the whole thing is kinda blurry.” I swallow as I think about the
robbie p.
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Absolutely one of my new favorite books. Ladies, this book is going to COME for your throat. It was so fantastic and made me so overwhelmingly happy. Buy it when it comes out or you’re homophobic!!!
Joshee Kun (조수아)
My most boring book of the year.
Caroline
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
one of my absolute favorite pairings from my favorite podcast ever!!! i spent the whole book in a puddle!!! thank you lauren shippen <3
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! Rtc when my thoughts aren't such a mess
kenzie ⎊
Oct 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-to-read
how can something be this good?

Merged review:

amazingamazingamazingamazing
↠ dan ↞
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
please listen to the bright sessions. then read this book. it's IMPORTANT.
(also i love adam and caleb so much, they're baby and i'm gonna protect them)
Romie
Feb 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases
this actually sounds so good wtf
Melanie (bookswritinghappiness)
03-24-18 | I just looked this up on here because carissa talks about it on twitter all the time and this sounds amazing??? oh my god
04-23-18 | I'm now on season 2 of the podcast and I'm in love!! I'm sad that the podcast will probably end before I catch up, but I'm definitely looking forward to more stuff in this universe. Also, **podcast spoiler** I can't wait for two more seasons of Adam and Caleb <3
01-16-19 | THERE’S A TITLE AND I LOVE IT AND A RELEASE DATE TOO AND I CAN’T WAIT
04-24-19 |
Claire
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, lgbtqia-rep
The more I think about this book the more I realize that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I did. The Infinite Noise is a book that's definitely worth a read, but don't get into it expecting the first book to be anything but a contemporary story with a little twist.

*Thank you to Tor Teen and Macmillan for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
ash | emeraldbookowl
Apr 09, 2019 marked it as short-to-read-list
Shelves: young-adult, lgbtqia
Really looking forward to this!! Love The Bright Sessions podcast [def recommend it!]
The Nerd Daily
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Vinny MS

After gaining major success as a creator of the award-winning podcast, The Bright Sessions, Lauren Shippen is ready to bring you back to the thrilling story and twisted universe featuring your favourite Atypicals in her debut novel, The Infinite Noise.

The Infinite Noise follows the story of Caleb Michaels, who had a pretty normal life as a high school footballer, until one day he discovered himself to be an empath, an Atypical who can
Amybibliophile
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Quirky cover and sounds like a book I am bound to enjoy.
I cant wait to read more about Caleb & Adam! These 2 teens have stolen my heart already and I've only read the first couple of chapters. Caleb is a guy that sounds like hes struggling with controlling his impulses after he hits another student one day at school. As we enter this story, Caleb and his therapist are going over his thoughts and feelings at the time that built up to the incident, and we start to feel for these kids that are
Margaret
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, 2019, lgbt
To absolutely nobody's surprise, I LOVED THIS

Rating: 4.5 stars

Some backstory on this book:

Once upon a time, in early 2017, I started listening to a podcast called The Bright Sessions. This podcast, which follows a therapist named Dr. Bright and her patients with unusual abilities, became my obsession for a while, and I listened religiously until the show’s end in 2018.

When I learned that Lauren Shippen, the show’s creator, head writer, and one of its actors, would be writing three YA novels
Aleksandra
Feb 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases
BOOK BASED ON MY FAVORITE PODCAST!!

Written by wonderful and talented Lauren Shippen
about two queer boys in love and about people with super powers
out in September 2019

I’m excited!
Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts
Spoiler Free! Full review available at Bookmark Your Thoughts.

"And then—just when I was hoping a dam would burst—the wall just dissolves, letting the blue-green wash over me, clearing out the muck in my veins for the first time in months."

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review; thank you NetGalley and Lauren Shippen for the opportunity to read and review this novel. This in no way sways my review or opinion of the novel.

Desperately searching for diverse novels, I began scrolling
Sionna
* I read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I requested this book before I had listened to the podcast at all. I decided to start listening to it in preparation of reading this book and before I knew it I HAD TO READ THIS BOOK. So, the podcast is amazing– and I’m not yet finished listening to it (at the time that I’m writing up this review), and I will say that this book really does follow along with the podcast as Caleb is a regular patient of Dr. Bright.
Vinny —☽.。* Artsy Draft
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: debut
Although it was an enjoyable ride, The Infinite Noise was a high-anticipated debut that doesn’t really meet its expectations. Aside from its extraordinary superhero concept and detailed worldbuilding, the character development and their genuine relationship captivated me to keep reading this story until the very last page.

Full review to come.

Thank you Tor Teen and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | RedBubble
Erik McManus
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was ok. It didn’t have a very big synopsis which was alright because it left it open to the imagination but I guess I expected more from it. When it mentions the X-men in a quote about it, you would think that it has to be good right? Wrong. It wasn’t horrible but there was a lot lacking.

First off, I did enjoy the development of relationships. As Caleb and Adam become friends, you see different sides of each of them that exposes their feelings and shows how they react to different
Eloise
As a companion novel de The Bright Sessions podcast, delving into the Caleb and Adam's relationship, I loved this book.
I loved the boys in TBS and seeing how their relationship developed in much more detail was wonderful.

I have to say this: If I were reading this without knowing the podcast, I'd be lost. I'd find that some Atypical / Bright Sessions things needed to be developed a lot more.
Either Lauren expects readers to know about TBS already, or she didn't know how to include so much info in
Carley (ꈍ ᴗ ꈍ✿)
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-fav, owned, fav
Lauren's really trying to kill me huh ...more
Ben
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you drink a shot every time one of the two main characters asks the other "Are you ok? Really, you can tell me, are you ok?," you'll be sh*tfaced by page 50. Also, not much happens until the very end when some things are added to generate sequels. That said, it's endearing and I liked it.
Bookish First Rea...: The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen 1 5 Oct 22, 2019 12:52PM

• We Are Lost and Found
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • You Asked for Perfect
  • Lock & West
  • How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Reverie
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer, #1)
  • Like a Love Story
  • I Hope You Get This Message
Lauren Shippen is a writer most known for her work in fiction podcasts. She was the creator and sole writer of the popular audio drama The Bright Sessions, which ran from 2015 to 2018. She went on to executive produce The AM Archives and co-produce Passenger List before founding Atypical Artists, a company dedicated to audio storytelling. Most recently, she wrote MARVELS, an audio adaptation of ...more

The Bright Sessions (3 books)
  • A Neon Darkness
  • Untitled (The Bright Sessions #3)
“Another shuddering inhale. God, this is hard. His blue warmth is starting to bleed through the cracks in the wall and I want to cry with relief. “I was a fucking coward,” I finish. And then—just when I was hoping a dam would burst—the wall just dissolves, letting the blue-green wash over me, clearing out the muck in my veins for the first time in months. “I feel like I should apologize too,” Adam starts, and I immediately jump in to stop him. “No, just let me,” he insists. Another deep breath in for both of us. “I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this—about us. And I think I was too wrapped up in my own shit before. I was so worried about making you feel sad that I didn’t think. I didn’t let you in. And I put a lot of pressure on you to be the stable one—the normal one—in the relationship, which is pretty fucking ironic. Your power is cool and everything” 1 likes
“What's the word for when you're sitting at a table with someone you don't know all that well and they maybe just implied that you're gay and you are gay and you think they were trying to be inclusive or something but you kind of shut them down because they asked out your crush earlier and you really don't want to be having this conversation and now there's all this weird, unsaid stuff in the air that's making it hard to focus on your debate prep?

Is there a word for that?”
0 likes