Start by marking “Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)” as Want to Read:
Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)

Interference

(Semiosis Duology #2)

The sequel to Sue Burke's sweeping SF epic debut, Semiosis, continues in Interference as the colonists and a team from Earth confront a new and more implacable intelligence.

But the Earthlings misunderstand the na
Published October 22nd 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Interference, please sign up.
Adam Hewitt I am currently listening to it on Audible, so yes can confirm!

Start your review of Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
Silvana
Semiosis was one of my absolute favorites last year. If Goodreads can accomodate six stars, I'd rated it that high. The POV characters, the dynamics, the survival story, the generational saga, and most of all, the intelligent plants, captivated me till the very last page and made me googled bamboos and what it could do to me. You know, just in case.

Interference introduced us to a set of characters from Earth, which unfortunately were not as interesting as the Pax colonists. I don't mind that
Justine
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Not quite as excellent as the first book, but still very good. I liked the main part of the story involving the arrival of people from Earth at the Pax settlement, which had much of the expected outcomes.

What I wanted more of was what was really going on in Laurentia, and also, an expansion of what was touched on in the Epilogue. I know this is supposed to be the second book in a duology, but these open ended parts of the story made Interfence feel almost more like the middle book of a trilogy.
Lauren
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alli, sci-fi
I thoroughly enjoyed Interference. It was a fascinating read that I couldn't wait to finish. Sort of a murder mystery/scientific exploration/new world novel, this is the sequel to Semiosis--but you don't *need* to have read the first book to understand this one. It provides backstory for Stevland and the colonists but if you haven't read Semiosis (or did so back when it first came out and only sort of remember the details) you'll do just fine with Interference.

The story is told from
Peter Tillman
Off to a great start -- I'm about 1/3 in ( 11/9/19 ). Her invented ecology -- & scary animals! -- on Pax are truly remarkable. And the Glass-maker aliens have been fleshed out into a more believable & interesting species. Not to mention, interesting individuals. And scary-fast-- and smart! I'd be surprised if this one doesn't earn 5 stars from me. And it's enough of a stand-alone that you could read it by itself. But I'd still read #1 first, if I were you.

This is a book where
Hélène Louise
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I read and loved the first book of the dualogy, Semiosis and if you appreciated it as I did, no doubt that Interference will enthusiasm you.
After a first part (with and incredibly disturbing dystopian reality), the narrative
form is rather similar as in the first book, with various narrators, which offer a wide array of point of view, for a fantastic show don't tell story.
For the first time we benefit from an outside point of view, which is really exciting. The realism of the situati
The Captain
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Be advised that this be the second book in the series.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first and keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

I loved the first book of this duology so much that I requested book two as soon as I saw it and didn't even read the blurb.  I happily went in blind.  Upon completion, there be no
Ernest
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading Sue Burke's sequel to Semiosis, which was a terrific debut. The sequel may be even better. I'm a third way in and it's got me hooked.

So far, and I'll update this in a bit, it's following a more linear story form, where the first novel was a collection of short stories or novellas spanning subsequent generations colonizing the planet Pax, which has sentient plants and the decendents of other alien colonists, the Glassmakers.

Now the colonists, the central plant intelligence that helps gu
William S.
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent sci-fi

This book is a thoughtful piece which, admittedly groans a bit but does have exciting parts. Pax is somehow lucky enough to have been colonized by three different alien species. The humans have figured out how to survive by joining forces with the glassmakers and a native bamboo that thinks. The bamboo is able to control by bearing fruit it can alter in various ways. It has entered into an agreement with humans to only alter its fruit for beneficial purposes so it creates a
Kate
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved Semiosis and Interference continues some of the same fascinating and original ideas - this time about two centuries after the first humans settled on Pax. I love the world building, the relationship and interaction between plants, animals and humans, as well as the impact of humans on this strange world. I did, though, find it harder to engage with this novel and the structure hampered the development of the story, making it feel painfully slow at times. Nevertheless, I enjoye ...more
Jacqueline Langille
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think the best review I could give this book is that I wanted it to keep going. I'm not usually a fan of long books, so that's saying something. Sue Burke's writing style is fresh and vivid, and I could barely put the book down I was so involved in the plot. I highly recommend this Duology that starts with Semiosis, but it's hard to talk about the plot without spoilers. Humans colonize a planet far from Earth ... And then discover they are not alone. What a pleasure to read books by Tor that a ...more
Justin
Solid follow-up to Semiosis. Like it's predecessor, I kinda want to know more about what's going to happen. But I think that's just part of the package with this type of story.
Erin
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect sequel to an amazing novel. I'm only disappointed that this is a duology, I want more about Pax! What happens back on Earth? !!!
Steven Shaviro
Sue Burke's new science fiction novel Interference is the sequel to her previous book Semiosis. That book introduced us to Pax, a superhabitable Earth-like planet some fifty-six light years away. Human colonizers, fleeing an ecologically and politically ravaged Earth, arrive on Pax; they must learn to get along with the native life forms. These include, most notably, intelligent plants. All the plant species on the planet are sentient to varying degrees; they are often engaged in Darwinian strug ...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interference by Sue Burke is a very highly recommended science fiction story following colonists on Pax and continuing the story from Semiosis.

"Over two hundred years after the first colonists landed on Pax, a new set of explorers arrives from Earth on what they claim is a temporary scientific mission. But the Earthlings misunderstand the nature of the Pax settlement and its real leader. Even as Stevland attempts to protect his human tools, a more insidious enemy than the Earthlings
Mal Warwick
In Semiosis, Sue Burke introduced the human colonists of the planet Pax and the sentient alien species they encountered there. But Burke seems to have more in mind than simply writing a good science fiction novel. Apparently, she was eager to show off. "Semiosis" is a term from linguistics that connotes the creation of meaning through signs. Not billboards, mind you, but anything that conveys meaning. And, in billing the novel as the first book in a duology, she meant, simply, that it was the fi ...more
Ryan Arnold
I have been looking forward to this book since the moment it was announced. There was a certain magic about Semiosis that I still can't put into words but a few pages into the first chapter it just clicked for me. I am happy to say that Interference made me feel the same way. In Semiosis I understood why it needed to be told across multiple generations but I still wasn't the biggest fan because as soon as you get used to characters they're gone. Interference follows the same cast throughout the ...more
Ryan Arnold
Kayla
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had incredibly high expectations for this book. Upon finishing Semiosis, it was the only book I would recommend to anyone who would listen. Sue’s storytelling in Semiosis took timeless science fiction themes — first contact and alien intelligence — and made me think about them from a completely fresh perspective. It’s a book that continued to creep into my thoughts.

Interference is no different. It expands the narrative, examining the dynamics of various intelligent beings across ma
Lisa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, and Semiosis (the first book in what I HOPE is going to be a series), are two of the most enjoyable books I've read in ages. The world they describe is beautiful, exciting, and strange -- I want a dozen more books, a movie, a series of coloring books, and a videogame set in that world. I'd move into it if I could. Tremendously good reading, and inspirational for those of us who have too many houseplants.
Dan Carey
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good follow-up to Semiosis.
[Audiobook note: I think it would have been better had they used only one narrator. The shifting between two readers added nothing and proved distracting, IMO.]
David
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Burke's second book in the Semiosis series, but not as much as the first. The world is still as interesting, and is the exploration of how an outside influence (from Earth) changes things. There seemed to me to be perhaps too many points of view, and motivations were not always clear. In any case, a thought provoking tale.
Lynn
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a can't-put-down sequel to Semiosis. It's only slightly less well-structured than the prequel, hence a star less. The Earth visitors to Pax are fantastically horrible. Good lens and non-simplistic resolution.
Cory McConnaughy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A little bummed that it dropped the generation-hopping premise of the first book, and, despite the more narrow focus, the character writing dropped in quality. Nevertheless, the additional world-building and the plot were excellent, and left me wanting more to see more in this universe.
Abby Pechin
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent follow up to Semiosis. I truly enjoyed this SF adventure. I hope there will be more in this series.
Just_ann_now
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-fcpl, 2019
Wow. Only a duology? If there's anything I'd love to see as a trilogy or even a series, it's this. Stevland's first-person present-tense entry was heartstopping!
Nils Hulth
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

I like the concept and how the story is told. These are solid books with a good story. I would be surprised if there is no follow up.
Jess
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the writing, and I loved the first book, but this one just didn’t hold me as well as the first.
Sam
James Hughes
Nov 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 3 18 Sep 12, 2019 12:48PM
I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, lived briefly in Austin, Texas, y'all, and moved with my husband to Madrid, Spain, in December 1999. Then back to the US, specifically Chicago, in July 2016.

I've worked for forty years as a journalist, both as a reporter and editor, and I translate from Spanish to English.

I also write poetry, essays, and fiction, especially science fiction

Semiosis Duology (2 books)
  • Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1)
“People trust what they see. They trust the system that sends them these visions even though it is as fragile as the paper in ancient books—because they have never read those books. They know nothing about their own environment. They trust it the way people once trusted the food they ate.” 0 likes
“I had checked that fruit carefully. It had caffeine in it. Great breakfast fruit. Delicious” 0 likes