Start by marking “When Old Midnight Comes Along (Amos Walker, #28)” as Want to Read:
When Old Midnight Comes Along (Amos Walker, #28)

When Old Midnight Comes Along

(Amos Walker #28)

A new Amos Walker mystery from award-winning author Loren D. Estleman!

Amos Walker is hired by one Francis X. Lawes, a private-sector mover and shaker in Detroit politics, to prove that his wife, Paula, who disappeared under sinister circumstances shortly more than six years ago, is dead, so he can remarry without having to wait for the seven-year-declaration-of-death rule
Published December 3rd 2019 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about When Old Midnight Comes Along, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Old Midnight Comes Along

Start your review of When Old Midnight Comes Along (Amos Walker, #28)
Paromjit
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loren D Estleman's long running Amos Walker series is one I have dipped into through the years, always knowing I am going to enjoy the reading experience. It is set in a economically deprived Detroit in Michigan where Walker operates as a PI, older, more physically scarred in body, weary of soul, and the best man to hire when it comes to missing persons. Which is why Francis X. Lawes, an influential political mover and shaker in charge of examining private sector business bids for city ...more
Lisa
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loren Estleman is right up there with Walter Moseley and other seminal writers who not only define great crime fiction, but redefine it in their own unique way. It speaks volumes about an author who consistently produces top-notch stories in a long-running series. I always look forward to a new Amos Walker book, not only because I've come to know the character well throughout the years, but also because there's always something new to learn about him.

This time out, Amos is hired by a man who
Joyce
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

I have been reading the Amos Walker mysteries for years. I really like Mr. Estleman's irreverent style of writing humor in his stories.

Walker is a cool breeze from the past; a resurrection of the old style, semi-hard bitten private eye.

He is hired by Francis X. Lawes to find his wife – dead or alive. It has been six years since her car was found abandoned in a not-so-healthy area of Detroit. Lawes wants to marry and doesn't want to wait the additional year it takes to have Paula Lawes
Andrew
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Estleman is a national treasure. In my opinion the true modern hero to Chandler. Estleman’s detective, Amos Walker, hero of Estleman’s long running detective series is a world weary Detroit private investigator who is called on to prove that a man’s wife is dead so he can remarry. The plot is beside the point- it’s the telling of the story that counts and the characterizations. Of the supporting players. Read it and you’ll be hooked.
Shoshana
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been a little in love with Amos Walker since his first appearance in “Motor City Blues.” The love affair continues in this excellent book. Walker is aging, and has lost a step or two, but he is still nobody’s fool and a tough guy. He is an independent private detective, emphasis on independent.

In this book Walker has been hired to find a dead woman. Her husband, long a suspect in her disappearance and presumed death, wants to marry again and does not want to wait for the statutory seven
Mike
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, hardboiled
This is a really good private detective story in the "classic" style. It's more about the path our hero follows as he tries to earn his money and solve the case than it is about the actual mystery.

Sure there are some decent plot twists and whatnot but, honestly, that aspect of the story isn't terribly original... It's not so much about the particular crime as it is the individual trying to solve it: Amos Walker.

That's what makes When Old Midnight Comes Along a better than average book.

This is
Kathleen Gray
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Francis X. Lawes was a suspect in his wife Paula's disappearance 6 years ago but her body was never found and the police couldn't build a case against him. Now he wants to remarry without waiting the additional year required to declare her dead so he hires Amos Walker. Walker starts back through the case, always with the question lingering- why not wait the year? Why open oneself up? The mystery here is well done but it's the walk through Detroit and its issues- the disparities between the rich ...more
Kay Wright
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
28 is a lot of books in a series. Several years ago Estleman left Amos behind to flirt with a movie fanatic and prohibition but luckily he came back to him and has sharpened his pencil with new, shorter, mysteries that have a lot of the old pizzazz. He’s still in the same office, driving the same Cutlass, still broke, never eating, but the story was good, the characters familiar, and it went fast. Still love the old Amos and he doesn’t hardly get busted up this time.
Sharlene
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't spent any time with Amos Walker in a while and I need to go back and catch up. It's always a good ride and it helps knowing the Detroit area. This time Amos is hired to prove Francis X. Lawes wife is dead so he can marry his current gal. But there are lots of twists and turns as the adventure begins. If you love hard-boiled detective fiction, take a ride with Amos Walker on the streets of Detroit and suburbs.
Annarella
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good hard boiled mystery according to my heart.
I liked the character development, the cast of characters is well thought and interesting, and the descriptions of the background.
The mystery is solid and kept guessing till the end. The well crafted plot is gripping and kept me on the edge.
It's the first novel I read in this series and won't surely be the last.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Janeil
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
the 28th in a series. perhaps if I had read some of the earlier works I might appreciated this story more, but it felt very cookie cutter to me. A Man hires a detective to find his missing and presumed dead wife. She disappeared 6 years ago and he wants to remarry. The girlfriends knows about the missing wife and is part the coverup reveal.
David C Ward
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The last of the old fashioned tough talking, sardonic private eye series including a Detroit that’s stuck in the 70s - or earlier - even if it’s 2019. Always reliable and this one is no exception but the plot is pretty creaky, not to say implausible. But so were most of Raymond Chandler’s - this one has a particular Chandler hallmark: double identity.
Abibliofob
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, private-eye
I really like this type of detective stories, although our hero is getting old he still has IT. As usual I have to thank #MacmillanTorForge and #Edelweiss and #Netgalley for giving me this pleasure to read one of the last true hard boiled detectives out there. I also must say, I hope that #LorenDEstleman keeps them coming. Great work, I really recommend this series.
David J
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loren Estleman is a professional writer, who turns out, interesting, well written books. This one is no exception. His descriptions are evocative, with numerous contemporary references. As always, well worth reading .
T Olsen
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author, and what stands out, is the language. It may be not to everyone's liking, but I love it! And there's a very good story with a great plot and characters.
PWRL
Recommended.

Review posted at Tzer Island book blog:

Patrick Mclaughlin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Estleman has carried on the tradition of Elmore Leonard with engaging dialogue that rings true.

That his Amos Walker series takes place in Detroit is an added bonus.

Highly recommended.
Kevin Hill
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Amos Walker Yarn

An atmospheric detective novel of the old school set in Detroit. I enjoy all the Amos Walker novels, this one was no different.
Carol Theisen
loved the writing style but was kind of lost this being the first book I read in the series
Raymond
Leta Hogge
Jan 13, 2020
Samantha
Dec 31, 2019

• The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • Galway Girl (Jack Taylor #15)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Accomplice
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Bomber's Moon (Joe Gunther #30)
  • A Cruel Deception (Bess Crawford, #11)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Barker & Llewelyn, #11)
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • The Last Good Guy (Roland Ford #3)
  • Rabbits for Food
  • The Shameless (Quinn Colson, #9)
  • Bloody Trail of the Mountain Man
Loren D. Estleman is an American writer of detective and Western fiction. He writes with a manual typewriter.

Estleman is most famous for his novels about P.I. Amos Walker. Other series characters include Old West marshal Page Murdock and hitman Peter Macklin. He has also written a series of novels about the history of crime in Detroit (also the setting of his Walker books.) His non-series works

Amos Walker (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Motor City Blue (Amos Walker, #1)
  • Angel Eyes (Amos Walker, #2)
  • The Midnight Man (Amos Walker, #3)
  • The Glass Highway (Amos Walker, #4)
  • Sugartown (Amos Walker, #5)
  • Every Brilliant Eye (Amos Walker, #6)
  • Lady Yesterday (Amos Walker, #7)
  • Downriver (Amos Walker, #8)
  • Silent Thunder (Amos Walker, #9)
  • Sweet Women Lie (Amos Walker, #10)