Start by marking “7 Secrets of the Newborn: Secrets and (Happy) Surprises of the First Year” as Want to Read:
7 Secrets of the Newborn: Secrets and (Happy) Surprises of the First Year

7 Secrets of the Newborn: Secrets and (Happy) Surprises of the First Year

From the pediatrician who became an Internet sensation with the "Hamilton Hold" in a YouTube
video about how to calm a crying baby, comes a one-of-a-kind resource to guide you through the earliest moments of your child's life--and help you to parent with common sense and confidence.

Robert C. Hamilton, M.D., has spent more than three decades caring for newborns. In his
Published September 24th 2019 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about 7 Secrets of the Newborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Secrets of the Newborn

Start your review of 7 Secrets of the Newborn: Secrets and (Happy) Surprises of the First Year
Alana
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, self-help
I had never heard of Dr. Hamilton, but my husband's workplace was doing a video interview with him just after our son was born and they needed a very young infant to demonstrate the "Hamilton hold" in the video. They were offering free lunch, and as brand new parents to a two-week old, we figured, why not? My thoughts before the video: Yeah, right; there is no "magic hold" to quiet a squalling child, because if there was, some mom or midwife would have discovered it millennia ago, not some man ...more
Betsy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to say 3.5 stars? It was just fine, nothing too groundbreaking. I really appreciated Hamilton’s emphasis that having babies is a good and wonderful thing—there is so much cultural fear and negativity surrounding parenthood that his insistence that babies are delightful was refreshing. He had some good common-sense advice, coming from a Christian worldview perspective.

I wish that he would have included foot- or endnotes; while he used a number of quotations and referenced different
Shannon
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby, parenting
Finished this one in two sleepless nights in the month before birth. I appreciated the compact timeline and basic advice for the first year of life. I'd recommend this for parents who only have time to read one starter book before kiddo arrives.

There were some judgments that annoyed me, for example "a hospital birth is the only safe birth." It's also clear that author is religious, but I found his biblical analogies and quotes well-meaning and fairly inclusive.
Cleo Joyce
This had some interested chapters, but overall not a lot of new information.
Abby
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While there was some useful information in here, the book overall was too saccharine and folksy for me. His vision of families is a very traditional, non-inclusive one and some of his recommendations (like the mother should try to take a year off from work, the couple should consider moving back to their hometown upon having a baby, etc.) are not at all helpful for modern people raising children in the 21st century. Clunky writing in many places (why didn't an editor smooth out the sentences??) ...more
Magdalena
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing point of view from an M.D. who is not ashamed to include FAITH as one of the pillars in parenting. This book includes some stellar references, i.e.: Leonard Sax, Harvey Karp, Jordan Peterson.

Some aspects from other cultures included, which is another great yet unusual thing for a Western M.D. to include in a book. Then again, this M.D. has travelled to many parts of the world, so he is not afraid to share his observations.

This author is not afraid to state what works and what doesn't
Tanisha
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was an easy read. I didn’t find anything super new in it- all quite common sense and lacking in sources/citations. It was also quite Jesus-y at points, wish that would’ve been communicated in the description.
Juls
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Dr. Bob’s viewpoint on parenthood and practical advice for raising a baby. While some might think he is old fashioned, I found his wisdom to be timeless and refreshing. Wish he was my child’s pediatrician!
Mariaj91
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book! I can see how non-Christians might find parts of it a bit off-putting, but I personally (and I am Christian) found it all enjoyable. Lots of no-nonsense, common sense advice on parenting.
Matt Parker
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Good but standard advice wrapped up in a real joy in parenting (which I appreciated) and the gentlest Christian patriarchy (which I did not). You can get all the useful stuff from any decent book - but if you're becoming a parent in southern California in 1980, this is the one for you!
Rachel
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very solid, practical advice, but with a heavy dose of paternalism and nostalgia for "the good old days", which clouds his otherwise very sensible recommendations.
Michele
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish this author had been my pediatrician when my children were young! Sensible and down-to-earth and reassuring...good review for this grandma-to-be.
Dasreena Kaur
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for new mothers!
Em Biedenfeld
Mar 08, 2019
Nicole Howard
Jul 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You About Pregnancy: A Guide to Surviving Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Beyond
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • Strong As a Mother: How to Stay Healthy, Happy, and (Most Importantly) Sane from Pregnancy to Parenthood: The Only Guide to Taking Care of YOU!
  • The Mindful Mom-To-Be: A Modern Doula's Guide to Building a Healthy Foundation from Pregnancy Through Birth
  • The Mama Natural Week-by-Week Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Holy Bible: My First Read And Learn Bible
  • Cat in the Manger
  • The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
  • The Crayons' Christmas
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • HypnoBirthing, Fourth Edition: The breakthrough natural approach to safer, easier, more comfortable birthing - The Mongan Method, 4th Edition
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth And The Newborn (2001) (Retired Edition)
Dr. Robert C. Hamilton is a pediatrician is the owner and founder of Pacific Ocean Pediatrics, established in 1996 in Santa Monica, California. Dr. Hamilton is also the creator of the "Hamilton Hold," a method for soothing crying babies seen by over 27 million people in his instructional video on YouTube. In addition, Dr. Bob runs the LA Marathon annually to support his medical mission ...more