Start by marking “Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)” as Want to Read:
Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)

Give Up the Ghost

(Not Dead Yet #2)

The bigger they are, the harder they maul.

Immortal not-ghost Wes Cooper and his vampire partner, Hudson Rojas, have it all—rewarding private investigation work, great friends and, most important, a love that’s endured. But ever since Wes sent a demon screaming back to the beyond, his abilities have grown overpowering and overwhelming. He’s hiding the fact that he’s los
Published June 3rd 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Give Up the Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give Up the Ghost

Start your review of Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

I really enjoyed Give Up the Ghost by Jenn Burke, even more than the first in the series. Jenn Burke seems to get better and better over time!

Give Up the Ghost follows Not Dead Yet and should not be read as a stand-alone. It is heavily dependent prior knowledge of the characters and plot from the first book, and I liked following the same couple over time for a change.

I loved, loved, loved Wes. I think he is such an interesting, unique character, and that's saying a lot considering
Simone
Update September 2019: Audiobook = ***5+++ completely bewitched... umm, or should I say beghosted (?) Stars*** Greg B. once again outdid himself !!!

----------------------------------------------

***4 - 4.5 Stars***

Guess what? I digged this even more than the first book!

Okay, so let me take some notes to put it in a nutshell:
Ähnliches Foto

Secrets, magic with the urge to backfire, a walking dead with anger issues and lots of ghoulies, ghosties and other rat-bat critters that go b
Jenn
Apr 10, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
GIVE UP THE GHOST is now available in audiobook! Greg Boudreaux does an amazing job bringing Wes, Hudson and the gang to life!
As always, thanks in advance for every review! I appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts. ❤
CrabbyPatty
As I've mentioned before, ghosts, evil spirits and vampires are so totally not my thing, but I cannot get enough of the universe Jenn Burke creates in her Not Dead Yet series. The first book in this series, Not Dead Yet, was a 5 star Recommended Read for me, and "Give Up the Ghost" follows in its spectral footsteps.

Wes has a secret ... a secret he knows he should share with Hudson. But Wes is stubborn, and at times a real idiot; but then again, Wes knows he's being stupid:
Who the fuck was I? I
~Volha~
I loved this book! It was filled with humor, a wonderfully written mystery and lovable characters. After defeating the demon Hudson, Wes and Iskander open up their own PI agency. Evan seems to be getting the hang of being a vampire, Lexi is on board as well but not all is as it should be. The spell that Wes was a part of has changed him so profoundly that he barely controls his magic. He in his naive belief hides this new part of himself from others resulting in consequences of epic proportions. ...more
Ariana
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4,5 stars*

Wow. Loved book 2 at least as much as book 1!
This is turning quickly into one of my most favourite paranormal series.

For a ‘not-ghost’, and a magical being, Wes is ultimately human on so many levels. He is quite the anti-hero, if I think about it. And I really really rooted for him (again).

Wes has got a secret, a huge one, something he should have shared with Hudson, his ex-cop, vampire boyfriend and his newly acquired family months and months ago.
But Wes’s legendary skill of avoidin
Rachel Emily
WOW! My heart is just racing after finishing this story. Jenn Burke has created an amazing world with ghosts, vampires, mystery, hellhounds, magic, and love. Excellent storytelling, romance, and action!

This story continues on from the first book in this series - I don't really think you'd very easily be able to start with this one, so definitely start with Not Dead Yet. Prepare to fall in love with Wes and Hudson, I'm just saying.

I love, love, love, love Wes. I love that he's not perfect, and t
Tamara
Everything I said about Not Dead Yet can be said for Give Up the Ghost too. The only reason it took me a bit longer to read it is that I realized I'm not a big fan of lying (at least not about really big, important stuff) and the first part of the book is all about Wes doing just that (and being an idiot). But, all's well that ends well and that's all that mattered in the end. I'm so happy to have found this series! 4.5 stars ...more
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! Just as damn good as I was told! <3 I complained in an update that I really like Wes but he makes me tired. And he does! But I feel like Wes learned a lot in this book, and he gets that in a relationship it has to be all in or it doesn't work. And that doesn't mean just his romantic relationship. To be fair though, Hudson was keeping his own secrets too but I don't feel like this will be a problem going forward. I'm sure there will be others, LOL.

I love Wes and Hudson together, and I
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review 21Sep2020:

Wasn't a bit fan of Wes' hiding his magic from everyone, especially Hudson, and OMG that section where he mind-fucked Iskander's brother was all kinds of wrong - even if done for a seemingly good cause. And then thinking he'd do the same to Evan! Yeah, at that point I wasn't all that fond of Wes. I could understand his fear of telling his family, but I draw the line at deliberate manipulation. Then again, Hudson had some secrets of his own...not an excuse but blame to be h
Susan
Feb 21, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF at 55%

I really hate it when a person hides all these important things for their partner and then everything blow up in their face.

Communication people, it’s a thing.
Annika
Audiobook review

I have a confession to make.... I'm seriously addicted to this series and these people. I’ve basically been growling and grumbling at everyone and everything that kept me from this book today. I was that invested.

If for some reason you haven’t read the first book Not Dead Yet you need to go back and do that before starting in on this one. Much of it builds heavily on what happened before and let’s face it, you don’t want to miss out on a terrific book.

I loved the characters of
Gustaf
Just as good as the second book! I couldn't stop listening.

The mystery was great, it took a front seat in this book and I was there for it. There was secrets, mystery and magic. So many story lines, getting together perfectly at the end. This time it was Wes I wanted to smack some sense into though, not Hudson.

I don't know what to say without spoiling it, and I sure like spoilers for myself but I don't want to do that to you guys. Just read this series.
I'll give you a warning though, if you a
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

This is the beginning of a review where I will say once again - since apparently, it's my common problem - that I remember nothing from the first book *sheepish smile*. However, I will also say this happily, that I got myself immersed to the story without feeling too lost in the plot.

So, a short recap, after handling Crown of Osiris (in the previous book) apparently Wes Cooper's magic power is getting bigger. And it's NOT without its own consequences. While trying to de
Joyfully Jay
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Give Up the Ghost is the second book in Jenn Burke’s fabulous Not Dead Yet series. The story picks up in the aftermath of the events of the last book, and Hudson and Wes carry over as main characters, so being familiar with the series will definitely enhance your experience here. However, the basics of the world building and past events are explained here if you want to jump right in.

This story builds nicely on the first book, showing clearly the bond that has gr
Caz
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Jenn Burke’s Not Dead Yet earned a place on my keeper shelf earlier this year for many reasons, not least of which were the great storytelling, excellent worldbuilding, memorable characters, snappy dialogue and unusual premise.  Wes Cooper was murdered in 1933 by his lover Michael, but was resurrected by Michael’s sister – a witch.  Somehow, she overdid it, not only bringing Wes back to life, but making him immortal, which changed his
Kelly
I'm so glad I waited for the audiobook. Greg Boudreaux's performance was flawless (as usual). Beyond the narration, though, this was a fantastic story--even better than the first. Loved it and can't wait for book number three!
Carol (bookish_notes)
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2019
This review is also posted on my blog.

I love a good paranormal story. I was intrigued by the first book in this series, but it did kind of lose me at the end, and I never really felt a connection to the characters throughout that book. I liked them, but it was just an okay read for me.

However.

This book? Give Up the Ghost? This book is ALL THE FEELS. This was was super angsty and had so much anxiety and internal conflict and I LOVED IT.

This characters in this book had a time to actually shine. Th
Melissa
Audio review

A nice continuation of the series. I will say I found Wes kinda immature and bratty. It wasn't all the time, but when it appeared I have the story the stink eye.

The story synopsis is hard to explain. You get a lot from the blurb. Wes is trying to figure out why ghosts are congregating at a house and also who attacked his friend. The reason behind the ghosts is weird!!! Like, what? Unhinged much? (view spoiler)
Kathleen
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A disappointment in comparison to Not Dead Yet, which I loved. It took me at least two weeks to finish. The “godhood” aspect of the story was very weak and didn’t work for me. I simply didn’t find much to like about the book. Hoping the next one will be on par with #1. ...more
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq, a-novel-take, arc
To quote my review of the first book, Not Dead Yet, “There was a lot of story and it kept me completely entertained. I was on the edge of my seat, I was laughing, I was sad, I was excited and most of all, I was intrigued.”

I feel the same exact way about this book. This was fantastic.

Following right after Not Dead Yet, you’d like to think this one would have started out calm. Wes and Hudson living and loving, the rest of the gang riding that joy but noooooooo. This started out the opposite o
Caz
My review of the book is HERE, so I won't rehash it, I'll just say that the audio version is terrific and Greg Boudreaux completely nails it - once again. ...more
iam
Give Up the Ghost is exactly as angsty and high-stakes as the title suggests, and it's GREAT!

Content warnings include: violence and gore, death, blood drinking (in sexual and non-sexual contexts), sex on-page, character gets heavily injured and spends time in a coma and on the ICU, depression; mentions of suicide.

Especially the beginning of the book is brimming with angst. Following the aftermath of book 1, Not Dead Yet, Wes has changed, but his fear of the changes and what they mig
M.I.A
Just as good if not better than the first book in the series.
Hudson and Wes are learning how to be a couple again. But it's not easy.
Even 33 years after the breakup some fearful elements remain.
It's not easy to shake off the fear of being abandoned again. Not being good enough. Trusting once again.

"We’d found each other again, we’d rediscovered the love we had—or maybe it was new love built on the foundations of the old—but we’d broken up once. The precedent was set. Back then, he’d sho
Amanda
I absolutely love Not Dead Yet and was excited to start on book 2. Wes and Hudson is now a couple, but still not very steady. Both of them keeping secrets from each other really frustrate me for half the book. There was no lack of sexy times, but I wish they will start trusting each other more.

Hudson, Wes and the gang came up with a new PI firm and there are some argument between them regarding the cases. There are a few paranormal cases that they took up and initially I felt overwhelmed, but of
Natalia
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becca
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am friggin LOVING this series! Oh my gah. I love paranormal so much and this has it all. A not-ghost that’s an ex-thief/recovery specialist, a cop turned vamp, witches as best friends, and all kinds of other stuff going on. People and evil things are being summoned. Ghosts are being used for evil. It is an explosion of so much. Oh and did I mention, said ghost that ex-thief, has some stuff going on with him now that makes him extra special.
Hudson had decided at the end of book 1 it was time to
Claudia
it took me a while to get into Wes head again and I was a bit annoyed with him at the beginning. but the second half more than made up for that and I really enjoyed it. looking forward to the next one

be aware: you will need tissues during this one (or at least I did)
Roberta Blablanski
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever loved a book so much that you were certain no other book could come close to giving you that satisfied reader feeling? Well, I thought I felt that way about Not Dead Yet, Book 1 in Burke's paranormal series, until I read Give Up the Ghost.

There's lot of excitement and drama and tension to keep the reader on their toes. And the further developing relationship between Wes and Hudson is tender and real.

One of the unique qualities of this series is the creation of well-developed, inte
Sophie
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, netgalley
I had quite liked the first book by Jenn Burke, „Not Dead Yet”. But while I loved the characters and setting, I wasn’t that impressed by the plot. Sadly, the second volume has more of the latter and less of the former.
I mean, of course it still has its characters and its setting. But it once again focuses on Wes and Hudson, and we only get short glimpses at the other characters, whose stories remain unresolved (which as such is fine in a series, but the way it’s done felt unsatisfying rather th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
Jenn Burke has loved out-of-this-world romance since she first read about heroes and heroines kicking butt and falling in love as a preteen. Now that she’s an author, she couldn’t be happier to bring adventure, romance, and sexy times to her readers.

Jenn is the author of The Gryphon King’s Consort from Dreamspinner Press and the co-author of the critically acclaimed Chaos Station science fiction r

Not Dead Yet (3 books)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)