Start by marking “The Winter Mystery (Jenny Starling, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Winter Mystery (Jenny Starling, #2)

The Winter Mystery

(Jenny Starling #2)

Meet Jenny Starling: travelling cook and reluctant amateur detective.

Please note this book was first published as “A FATAL FALL OF SNOW” under Faith Martin’s pen name JOYCE CATO.

Jenny Starling is spending Christmas in a snowed-in country house cooking all the traditional food she loves. But the family she’s working for are not full of the seasonal spirit. In fact, the
Published December 17th 2018 by Joffe Books mystery and crime (first published August 1st 2011)

Start your review of The Winter Mystery (Jenny Starling, #2)
Beata
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a perfect read for Christmas time: a snow-covered farm in the Cotswold, a murder and smell of delicious food prepared by a professional, travelling cook, Jenny Starling (sic!) who just happens to solve crimes in the meantime. Hired by one of the Kelton Brothers to cook and serve food over Christmas, Jenny gets involved in a crime committed on one of the family members. The relations within the Kelton family are rather complicated, and there is a plethora of suspects, which does not make ...more
Helga
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever, clever, clever! Another cozy mystery that would warm your heart and tingle your grey cells in this holiday season.

This time Jenny is hired as a cook for the Christmas holidays. Her employer, the farmer Stan Kelton is despised by everyone, even his own family. He is rude, vulgar and domineering and as soon as Jenny arrives at the farm, she senses the tense atmosphere and the resentment emanating from each member of the family and realizes that this is going to be one of those Christmases!
Louise Wilson
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Starling in spending Christmas in a snowed-in country house cooking all the traditional meals that she's loves. But the family she is working for are not full of the seasonal spirit. Actually, they don't seem to like each other. Someone is found dead on Christmas Eve and Jenny is getting the blame.

This is the second book in Faith Martin's new series in the Jenny Starling mysteries. Jenny works as a cook who hires herself out. She has taken a job working for a farming family that will last
Lou
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Winter Mystery, first published as A Fatal Fall of Snow in 2011 under Faith Martin's pen name Joyce Cato, is another fantastic addition to the Jenny Starling cosy mystery series. In this second book, amateur sleuth and travelling cook Ms Starling dreams of a relaxing Christmas in a country farmhouse surrounded by snow but her version of utopia soon turns to dystopia when a murder is committed. I couldn't think of a more perfect read than this as the nights draw in, it becomes chillier and Ch ...more
Linda Strong
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

Jenny Starling, a traveling cook who always seems to find herself in the position of an amateur detective, is spending Christmas working for a dysfunctional family, to say the least. The farm is mostly snowed it and there's no signal for phones. Jenny feels a bit unnerved although she couldn't tell you why....

Until Christmas Eve when she finds herself sitting across the table from a man,
Gail C.
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic Mystery Lovers
Four and a half stars rounded up to five.
The Winter Mystery is the second book in the new Jenny Starling Mysteries series by Faith Martin. Both books have been completely independent of one another and it is not necessary to read them in order of writing to enjoy them. Jenny Starling is the central character and she works as a cook for hire. In this book she has accepted a job to cook for a farm family for two weeks over the Christmas holiday.
From the first page, the reader is plunged into a c
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

I really enjoyed this # 2 Jenny Starling story. Kept hearing echoes of Miss Marple during my reading. It wasn't a fast paced book, yet it was a very compelling read. I love Ms. Martin's characters and especially Pooch and the goose in this one. A very nice cozy read.
Miglė
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The real mystery is how the h e c k is this set (and written!) in XXI century.

Are you longing for the good old days when men were men, women were cooking and cleaning, grown up children were still completely dependent on their fathers and grandfathers, and the sole dream of the young man would be to marry a sweet girl next door, which the grandfather forbade? Oh, and did I mention, no phones, and an occasional murder? If this looks like your thing, then you might like the book.

I, personally, did
Anne
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written and I liked the characters. I will be reading the second one and hope there will be more in this series.
Bridget
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Mysteries, Cosy Mysteries, Anyone
Over recent months I've become a great fan of cozy mysteries so, when I saw this second book in the series featuring Jenny Starling being launched, I knew I had to read "The Winter Mystery." Also, it has a culinary theme which I love and a little light humour. The first book ‘The Birthday Mystery’ was so good, I knew it was likely that Faith Martin had written a winner with this book, too, and I was right!

Best-seller author Faith Martin has also written the ‘Detective Hillary Greene’ mysteries.

F
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy of The Winter Mystery, the second novel to feature travelling cook and amateur sleuth Jenny Starling.

With no lucrative catering jobs on the horizon Jenny takes a job as temporary cook for the festive season at the Kelton farm in rural Oxfordshire. As soon as she gets there she realises she’s made a mistake as tensions are simmering in the Kelton household and the atmosphere is distinctly unpleasant. This culminates in a murder o
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Curvy cook Jenny Starling is back! It’s almost Christmas and instead of spending it alone in a little bedsit, she takes a chance on an advert looking for a cook over the festive season. When she gets there a sense of foreboding overcomes her. It’s snowing, the farm is in the middle of nowhere with no mod-cons or even a landline and the family...well they seem to hate each other especially the head of the household, Stan Kelton.

When someone is found stabbed to death in the kitchen, the local poli
Jannelies
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit-mystery
Where to start? With the good points of this book of course. It is, as with all Faith Martin's books, very hard to put down once you start reading. Jenny Starling is an interesting character and after only two books in this series I think (and hope) that we will learn more about her - and her food of course. I happen to like books with cooks in them a lot.
The plot is a bit obvious from the beginning but it is nice to see how the story flows along. I also like all the somewhat typical characters
Joyce
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

In this story, Jenny is spending two weeks over Christmas in the Kelton household. Plodding through the deep snow to finally get to the farm, she finds the atmosphere in the home stifling. Stan Kelton runs the home like a tyrant, even though he is not the eldest son. He is rude, short tempered and totally unredeemable. There is nothing likeable about him.

Jenny thinks it is going to be a very long two weeks. When a body shows up in the kitchen no less, Jenny’s week is going from bad to wo
Kathryn
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to like about good plots, believable characters, great cooking, a lovable dog and murder?
Martha
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this amateur sleuth mystery. My rating: 4.25.

Traveling cook, Jenny, accepts a job in a small village to cook over the Christmas holidays. She arrives after struggling through the snow to get to the house. There she finds that no one knew she was coming except the gruff, tyrant head of the household, Stan Kelton.

Jenny meets the family and learns that the household consists of Stan’s elder brother, Sid, who has been frail after an accident years before; Stan’s two grown sons, Bert and Bi
Robin Loves Reading
Jenny Starling, a traveling cook, has moved on and will be cooking at a small farm for a handful of people during Christmas. Something is definitely awry at the Kelton Farm when it is discovered that a guest has been murdered.

Jenny is not only a brilliant cook, she is an excellent amateur sleuth who has a knack for solving murders. From the outset Jenny knew things were not right. Her employer, Stan Kelton, is as hateful as can be. His family detests him. Furthermore, they all act oddly as far a
Paul
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love mysteries, and while cozies are often hit-or-miss for me, Martin's Jenny Starling's series is eminently readable. The Winter Mystery is one of the most satisfying cozies I've ever read: sharp dialogue, compelling situations, and a main character who I absolutely love spending time with.

This particular story is wonderful and the ending is deeply satisfying. I love a mystery where the clues are staring you in the face the entire time and you can't connect the dots until the sleuth connects
Jane Hunt
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This aptly named mystery is the perfect book for a cold, Winter's afternoon. Jenny Starling is a strong, likeable character with a talent for crime solving. The cast of characters in this particular mystery is not easy to empathise, but when the most likeable of them is murdered, Jenny is first on the scene and becomes involved in solving the crime.

This is an old-fashioned crime mystery with false clues, numerous suspects and a particularly nasty murder. The slow pacing fits the story and the re
Tony Hisgett
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review, mystery
I didn’t enjoy this story as much as the previous one. I was prepared to ignore the continuous references to Jenny’s size and the problems with the cooking (e.g. where did all the ingredients come from?). However I just found the farm and its occupants so depressing and this probably coloured my attitude to the whole book.
As for the investigation, I thought this wasn’t particularly interesting, especially as the author kept repeating the same clue over and over again and it seemed improbable tha
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some reviews are harder to write than others. I like to be as fair as I can be but also honest. Personal taste is a huge factor for any reader and reviewer and it definitely plays a role for me. When looking at my reviews, you need to look not just at one review but at more--compare my taste on a book you may have already read to your own opinion. Consider my reasons for liking or disliking something. Consider that I'm growing in my understanding of writing theory and technique and this is refin ...more
Joanna Larum
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second in the Jenny Starling mystery series and this time Jenny is cooking for a farming family at Christmas. There has been a heavy snowfall and Jenny finds herself stuck in the remote farmhouse with a petty tyrant(Stan Kelton) who rules the household with a rod of iron, even though he isn't the actual owner. When Sid, his older brother, is found stabbed, Jenny has to help the police to solve the murder.
This was a very easy read although I was disappointed to be able to work out who had don
C A Bringloe
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Poor

Not a very well written book and I won't be reading any more of hers. They are books with no plot
Anissa
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chocolate box cozy mystery fans
This is the winter themed book that caught my eye and prompted me to read this series, to begin with, and it delivered on all the Christmas & snow promise. It's the second in the Jenny Starling series and once again the reluctant sleuth has landed in another murder investigation in between cooking delicious meals over a fortnight at Christmas time.

The Keltons of Kelton Farm are under a lot of strain and don't have much Christmas spirit to go around due in large part to Stan Kelton. He is the su
Nina Wilkinson
Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Review

Very disappointing story. Great fan of Faith Martin but this is not one of her best , in my opinion
Mystica
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story combined two loves of mine - food and mystery! Set in a castle the story couldn't have been more appealing to me.

One day after Jenny takes up an appointment as the cook in this castle, Ava the governess is found dead stabbed through the heart. Alibis abound, everyone is accounted for but it is an inside job. The Detective Inspector who is sent to find out who did this murder is clueless where to start but Jenny has a head start as she knows the atmosphere is not quite right and immed
Alison Argent-Wenz
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Predictable.

Have read this author before and enjoyed, but this one seems to be written for idiots who need every clue highlighted and underlined. Why the author feels the need to continually emphasise the main characters size (Junoesque, ample, wide girth) is beyond me. She comes across as a really annoying know-it-all with no human frailties whatsoever. Ham-fisted attempts to make out that she is 'sexy' and 'strangely attractive' feel like someone trying too hard to make a point. Completely un
Patricia Tally
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Waste of time

Though the whole book was based on the unlikely premise that a cruel and miserly Stan would hire a professional cook, the most annoying part was that the author took every opportunity from beginning to end to describe the cook’s large size, big bust and blue eyes. Yes, we got it after the first description but every page beginning to end, described her size. Pointless and annoying. Not one interesting character and a truly simplistic story. Don’t bother to read.
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Synopsis
Discover a new series of whodunits by million-selling author Faith Martin. These charming mysteries will have you scratching your head to work out who the murderer is.

“Classic murder mystery story with a twist at the end” Oxford Times

Meet Jenny Starling: travelling cook and reluctant amateur detective.

Mandie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Jenny Starling series but it can work very well as a stand-alone. Jenny is a no nonsense cook for hire who seems to have a knack for solving murders.
Hired by Stan Kelton to cook over the Christmas period she soon finds herself smack bang in the middle of the investigations into the death of Sid Kelton, Stan’s elder brother and the owner of the farm. Used to being told to stay out of the way and not to get involved, Jenny initially finds it a refreshing change when
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)
  • Hillary's Final Case (DI Hillary Greene, #17)
  • The Work of a Narrow Mind (DI Hillary Greene, #16)
  • Hillary's Back! (DI Hillary Greene, #18)
  • A Fatal Flaw (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #3)
  • Murder at Midnight (DI Hillary Greene, #15)
  • The Lavender Lady
  • Murder Never Misses (DI Hillary Greene, #14)
  • A Narrow Margin of Error (DI Hillary Greene, #13)
  • A Narrow Point of View (DI Hillary Greene, #10)
  • Murder Never Retires (DI Hillary Greene, #12)
  • A Narrow Exit (DI Hillary Greene, #11)
  • Murder in the Garden (DI Hillary Greene, #9)
  • A Fatal Mistake (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #2)
  • Murder in the Meadow (DI Hillary Greene, #7)
  • Down A Narrow Path (DI Hillary Greene, #8)
  • With a Narrow Blade (DI Hillary Greene, #6)
  • A Fatal Secret (Ryder & Loveday Mystery, #4)
Joyce Cato is a pen name of English author Jacquie Walton. She also writes under the pen names Jessie Daniels, Faith Martin and Maxine Barry. ...more

Jenny Starling (7 books)
  • The Birthday Mystery (Jenny Starling, #1)
  • The Riverboat Mystery (Jenny Starling, #3)
  • The Castle Mystery (Jenny Starling, #4)
  • The Oxford Mystery (Jenny Starling, #5)
  • The Teatime Mystery (Jenny Starling, #6)
  • The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)