Start by marking “The Winter Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Winter Mystery

The Winter Mystery

(Jenny Starling #2)

Jenny Starling is spending Christmas in a snowed-in country house cooking all the traditional food she loves. But the family she’s working for are not full of the seasonal spirit. In fact, they seem to hate each other.

On Christmas Eve, someone is found dead on the kitchen table. And the head of the family is blaming Jenny!

But with an incompetent detective called in, and se
Published December 17th 2018 by Joffe Books mystery and crime (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Mystery

Beata
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a perfect read for Christmas time: a snow-covered farm in the Cotswold, a murder and smell of delicious food prepared by a professional, travelling cook, Jenny Starling (sic!) who just happens to solve crimes in the meantime. Hired by one of the Kelton Brothers to cook and serve food over Christmas, Jenny gets involved in a crime committed on one of the family members. The relations within the Kelton family are rather complicated, and there is a plethora of suspects, which does not make ...more
Helga
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever, clever, clever! Another cozy mystery that would warm your heart and tingle your grey cells in this holiday season.

This time Jenny is hired as a cook for the Christmas holidays. Her employer, the farmer Stan Kelton is despised by everyone, even his own family. He is rude, vulgar and domineering and as soon as Jenny arrives at the farm, she senses the tense atmosphere and the resentment emanating from each member of the family and realizes that this is going to be one of those Christmases!
Louise Wilson
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Starling in spending Christmas in a snowed-in country house cooking all the traditional meals that she's loves. But the family she is working for are not full of the seasonal spirit. Actually, they don't seem to like each other. Someone is found dead on Christmas Eve and Jenny is getting the blame.

This is the second book in Faith Martin's new series in the Jenny Starling mysteries. Jenny works as a cook who hires herself out. She has taken a job working for a farming family that will last
Lou
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Winter Mystery, first published as A Fatal Fall of Snow in 2011 under Faith Martin's pen name Joyce Cato, is another fantastic addition to the Jenny Starling cosy mystery series. In this second book, amateur sleuth and travelling cook Ms Starling dreams of a relaxing Christmas in a country farmhouse surrounded by snow but her version of utopia soon turns to dystopia when a murder is committed. I couldn't think of a more perfect read than this as the nights draw in, it becomes chillier and Ch ...more
Linda Strong
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

Please note this book was first published as “A FATAL FALL OF SNOW” under Faith Martin’s pen name JOYCE CATO.

Jenny Starling, a traveling cook who always seems to find herself in the position of an amateur detective, is spending Christmas working for a dysfunctional family, to say the least. The farm is mostly snowed it and there's no signal for phones. Jenny feels a bit unnerved although she couldn't tell you why....

Until Christmas Eve when she finds herself sitting across the table from a man,
Gail C.
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic Mystery Lovers
Four and a half stars rounded up to five.
The Winter Mystery is the second book in the new Jenny Starling Mysteries series by Faith Martin. Both books have been completely independent of one another and it is not necessary to read them in order of writing to enjoy them. Jenny Starling is the central character and she works as a cook for hire. In this book she has accepted a job to cook for a farm family for two weeks over the Christmas holiday.
From the first page, the reader is plunged into a c
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

I really enjoyed this # 2 Jenny Starling story. Kept hearing echoes of Miss Marple during my reading. It wasn't a fast paced book, yet it was a very compelling read. I love Ms. Martin's characters and especially Pooch and the goose in this one. A very nice cozy read.
Anne
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written and I liked the characters. I will be reading the second one and hope there will be more in this series.
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy of The Winter Mystery, the second novel to feature travelling cook and amateur sleuth Jenny Starling.

With no lucrative catering jobs on the horizon Jenny takes a job as temporary cook for the festive season at the Kelton farm in rural Oxfordshire. As soon as she gets there she realises she’s made a mistake as tensions are simmering in the Kelton household and the atmosphere is distinctly unpleasant. This culminates in a murder o
Jannelies
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit-mystery
Where to start? With the good points of this book of course. It is, as with all Faith Martin's books, very hard to put down once you start reading. Jenny Starling is an interesting character and after only two books in this series I think (and hope) that we will learn more about her - and her food of course. I happen to like books with cooks in them a lot.
The plot is a bit obvious from the beginning but it is nice to see how the story flows along. I also like all the somewhat typical characters
Joyce
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

In this story, Jenny is spending two weeks over Christmas in the Kelton household. Plodding through the deep snow to finally get to the farm, she finds the atmosphere in the home stifling. Stan Kelton runs the home like a tyrant, even though he is not the eldest son. He is rude, short tempered and totally unredeemable. There is nothing likeable about him.

Jenny thinks it is going to be a very long two weeks. When a body shows up in the kitchen no less, Jenny’s week is going from bad to wo
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Curvy cook Jenny Starling is back! It’s almost Christmas and instead of spending it alone in a little bedsit, she takes a chance on an advert looking for a cook over the festive season. When she gets there a sense of foreboding overcomes her. It’s snowing, the farm is in the middle of nowhere with no mod-cons or even a landline and the family...well they seem to hate each other especially the head of the household, Stan Kelton.

When someone is found stabbed to death in the kitchen, the local poli
Jane Hunt
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This aptly named mystery is the perfect book for a cold, Winter's afternoon. Jenny Starling is a strong, likeable character with a talent for crime solving. The cast of characters in this particular mystery is not easy to empathise, but when the most likeable of them is murdered, Jenny is first on the scene and becomes involved in solving the crime.

This is an old-fashioned crime mystery with false clues, numerous suspects and a particularly nasty murder. The slow pacing fits the story and the re
Joanna Larum
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second in the Jenny Starling mystery series and this time Jenny is cooking for a farming family at Christmas. There has been a heavy snowfall and Jenny finds herself stuck in the remote farmhouse with a petty tyrant(Stan Kelton) who rules the household with a rod of iron, even though he isn't the actual owner. When Sid, his older brother, is found stabbed, Jenny has to help the police to solve the murder.
This was a very easy read although I was disappointed to be able to work out who had don
Kerry Robinson
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis
Discover a new series of whodunits by million-selling author Faith Martin. These charming mysteries will have you scratching your head to work out who the murderer is.

“Classic murder mystery story with a twist at the end” Oxford Times

Meet Jenny Starling: travelling cook and reluctant amateur detective.

Anissa
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chocolate box cozy mystery fans
This is the winter themed book that caught my eye and prompted me to read this series, to begin with, and it delivered on all the Christmas & snow promise. It's the second in the Jenny Starling series and once again the reluctant sleuth has landed in another murder investigation in between cooking delicious meals over a fortnight at Christmas time.

The Keltons of Kelton Farm are under a lot of strain and don't have much Christmas spirit to go around due in large part to Stan Kelton. He is th
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some reviews are harder to write than others. I like to be as fair as I can be but also honest. Personal taste is a huge factor for any reader and reviewer and it definitely plays a role for me. When looking at my reviews, you need to look not just at one review but at more--compare my taste on a book you may have already read to your own opinion. Consider my reasons for liking or disliking something. Consider that I'm growing in my understanding of writing theory and technique and this is refin ...more
Mandie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Jenny Starling series but it can work very well as a stand-alone. Jenny is a no nonsense cook for hire who seems to have a knack for solving murders.
Hired by Stan Kelton to cook over the Christmas period she soon finds herself smack bang in the middle of the investigations into the death of Sid Kelton, Stan’s elder brother and the owner of the farm. Used to being told to stay out of the way and not to get involved, Jenny initially finds it a refreshing change when
Renee
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Jenny Starling is Faith Martin's traveling cook and wherever Jenny goes, murder apparently awaits her arrival. With no plans of her own for the Christmas holiday, she takes a job cooking for a farming family. This isn't going to be a warm and fuzzy holiday though, as the head of the family, Stan is cruel, cold, and quite an unpleasant character. He treats his children, his older brother and everyone around him with scorn, and honestly, I don't believe he possessed even one redeeming quality. I d ...more
Misfits farm
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny has been employed by a farm to cook for them for two weeks over the Christmas period. She arrives in deep snow and finds the atmosphere inside the house is even chillier than the weather outside. Stan runs the place with a rod of iron and is despised by all around him- and they are mostly family. He scrimps on everything and it turns out that the farm is really owned by his nicer older brother Sid but Stan has acted as though it was his since time immemorial. ~When Sid not Stan is found mu ...more
Cozy Cat Reviews
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second installment of the "Jenny Starling' Mystery series and one of my favorite mysteries of the year. The author has a well crafted writing style that is fast paced with interesting settings and charcters. I look, forward to reading further books in this series. Thank you for the ARC which does not influence my personal review.
2o something Jenny Starling is back in the holiday season. She has decided to take on a job on a farm to cook over the festive season so she won't be alone.
Marianne
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful entry for Jenny Starling, traveling cook. This time Jenny’s booked for Christmas at a ramshackle farm in the Oxford countryside. The Keltons have owned the farm for generations, always passing down through the eldest son. The current eldest son is Sidney, a gentle peaceful man who has suffered from ill health for years. Sidney never married, so his younger brother Stan has run the farm for years with his two sons, Bert and Bill. Stan is an evil, tightfisted man, the total oppo ...more
Marion
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this second case for Jenny Starling we find her employed as a cook at a snow bound farm in the Cotswolds.
Unfortunately the family do not exactly seem full of christmas cheer, in fact they appear to actually dislike each other, or perhaps I should say they all dislike Stan Kelton , the farmer, Jennys employer.
He is a boor of a man and is disliked outside his home as well as in, so when a member of the family is found dead with a knife through his chest you could be forgiven for expecting it to
M
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Depressing People In an Oppressive Atmosphere

I enjoyed reading the Hillary Greene books, so I decided to give this cozy series a try. The mystery is straightforward, considering the characters and the murder method. The book’s POV is omniscient, but at times it read as though I were head-hopping. I like Faith Martin enough to remind myself that it’s omniscient.

Compared to characters in the DI Hillary Greene novels, unlikable people (to the point of cliche) populate this book. There is the powe
Rachel Bridgeman
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: december-2018
This is a perfect seasonal read and jumping on point for this new series of mysteries featuring new character, Jenny Starling. Following on from ‘The Birthday Mystery’, this outing finds Jenny embroiled in a Christmas Eve murder.
When the detective who is sent to investigate the snowed in occupants of the village appears completely unprepared to cope with a murder investigation, Jenny takes it upon herself to solve the mystery and rescue Christmas clearing her name in the process.
I love whodunnit
Alyson Read
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second story in the excellent new series from this author featuring travelling cook Jenny Starling, and already I am a big fan. In this book Jenny has been booked to cook at a farm over the Christmas holidays. The snow is falling thick and fast, and whilst struggling to reach her destination Jenny gets the feeling the family is not so popular locally. She arrives and meets Sid Kelton the owner, his obnoxious brother Stan, together with Stan's three grown up and children and one grandson, all ...more
Alyson Read
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nerys Roberts
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Starling has accepted a job at Kelton Farm over the Christmas season. Kelton Farm is home to brothers Sid and Stan Kelton, Stan’s two sons Bert and Bill, his daughter Delia and Bert’s son Jeremy. The family is a dysfunctional one - Sid is the older brother but Stan runs the farm with a rod of iron. He doesn’t seem well like by his family and the locals don’t have a good word to say about him. Then a murder occurs on Christmas Eve and Jenny once again finds herself helping the police with t ...more
Nancy Silk
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Moving Mystery"

This is a classic mystery series which will charm you. Jenny Starling is a travelling cook and also a very reluctant amateur detective. (Note: this book was first published as "A Fatal Fall Of Snow" under her pen name Joyce Cato). Jenny is spending Christmas in a snowed-in country house cooking for a distraught family. On Christmas Eve, one of them is found dead on the kitchen table. How can Jenny have their finger pointing at her? She'll have to help the police identify the real
Judy
I read this for the "read a book during the season it is set in" category of the 2019 Popsugar challenge. The English winter setting made me glad I live in a slightly warmer climate, but the mystery entertained me, and the descriptions of the hearty food the traveling cook is preparing for the dysfunctional family she is cooking for were yummy sounding. This is the second in the Jenny Starling series and it was just as satisfying to me as the first in the series. I love a good old fashioned myst ...more
Faith Martin has been writing for over 25 years and has had nearly 50 novels published. Born in Oxford, she has set most of her crime novels within sight of the 'dreaming spires'. And right now, Joffe Books are re-issuing all 17 of her DI Hillary Greene series in new updated editions!

As Joyce Cato, she writes more classically-inspired 'cosy' murder mysteries, so if you're a fan of red-herrings, a

Jenny Starling (2 books)
  • The Birthday Mystery (Jenny Starling, #1)