Start by marking “Project Middle School (Hope #1)” as Want to Read:
Project Middle School (Hope #1)

Project Middle School

(Hope #1)

Lifelong actor-advocate Alyssa Milano tells the story of a young activist in the making. It's the first book in an empowering and funny new middle-grade series illustrated by Simpsons illustrator, Eric S. Keyes.
Meet Hope Roberts. She's 11 years old, and she wants to be an astrophysicist. She loves swimming, Galaxy Girl comic books, and her two rescue dogs.

Hope believes it
Published October 1st 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Project Middle School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Middle School

Briana
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
ARC Review (Source: BookCon)

Hope is a quick, feel good middle grade story about a budding scientist and activist (Hope) starting her first year of middle school. The general idea is very on trend (girls in STEM!, dealing with bullies!), but the actual writing was not to my personal taste. The narration and dialogue are both casual and approachable, but the kids all sounded like adults to me, and the message(s) of the book frequently overshadow the story.

Frankly, the book
Krysta
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC Review
Source: BookCon

It isn't terrible, but it also isn't that good. Milano tries to tie together a bunch of themes, such as changing friendships, girls in STEM, microaggressions, girls being talked over by boys in meetings, and, most oddly, astrology, without most of it coming together and forming a cohesive narrative. It feels a little like there was a check list of "relevant messages" that had to be hit, to the detriment of the narrative. Some things, like the astrology
Barbara
Eleven-year-old Hope Roberts knows exactly what she wants to be when she grows up--an astrophysicist. When she makes the cut for accelerated classes at her school, and her best friend Sam will be attending different classes, she's a bit anxious but still eager to begin this phase of her academic journey. Hope makes some mistakes as she and her team work on a project for a science competition, but with some quick and innovative thinking, she manages to turn things around. I appreciated how the pl ...more
Susan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. It’s not terrible but it’s not good, either. Seems written for 3rd-5th graders who like Raina Telgemeier and “middle school girl/boy drama with no stakes.” It is very well-meaning, with themes of bullying, micro-aggressions, best friends growing apart, learning from failure and “smart girls in STEM.” But it feels hopelessly out of step with real kids in 2019 and isn’t very interesting. Wow, I just talked myself down from 3 to 2.5 stars.
Bel
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

This is going to find its place and will do well thanks to the name of the author... it just wasn’t my thing... I didn’t enjoy the writing style (too chatty but didn’t really sound like any kids I have met) and it was kind of preachy. I love that it is STEM based and I think the idea, I just wasn’t thrilled by it overall.
Andréa
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-owns, arc, kids, diversity
Note: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Ms. Yingling
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher

May revisit this one, but just wasn't working. I may test the ARC with some of my avid readers of upbeat, realistic fiction to see if it's too young.
Peter Z.
Jun 19, 2019
Michellecupboardmaker
Jun 23, 2019
Kristen
Edelweiss+ provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was cute, but it just doesn't have much depth. It reads like an after school special, where characters make life-changing discoveries and learn lessons in a ridiculously short period of time. Hope lives a pretty cushy life (a well-adjusted family, two parents, pets, a pool, etc.) and doesn't really encounter anything all that terrible at school.

There are some great themes here (girls in STEAM, speaking
Kate Waggoner
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
@kidlitexchange #partner

Thank you to the publisher @scholasticinc and the authors @milano_alyssa and @froandabow for sharing an advance copy of Project Middle School with the #kidlitexchange network.

Hope is excited to be starting middle school even if she will be in advanced classes and separated from her best friend, Sam. On the first day, Hope realizes that middle school is very different than the small elementary school she previously attended, and she ends up making s
Kimberly
Thank you @kidlitexchange @milano_alyssa @froandabow and @scholasticinc for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own. This MG book is set to release 10.1.19! This was a quick read, but don’t let that fool you. Amongst the easy to read, short chapters are some really great topics that any student will be able to recognize and/or find relatable.

Hope is starting middle school. Finding yourself on a new campus is alway daunting and unfamiliar, but sixth grade is very differe
Becky
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6c6q...

2.5 Rating: Hope is excited to start middle school but she soon encounters challenges that make middle lesson than her dream. Can Hope stay true to herself and master sixth grade.

I was little disappointed by this book. Hope's narrative voice didn't quite work for me. She is supposed to be in sixth grade but reads a little more like a fourth grader. Her journey into middle school felt uneven and her backstory isn't really developed. This book is perfect
Heather
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit skeptical bc it’s co-written by Alyssa Milano (and sorry, Alyssa, but for some reason I judge actors who think they can write kids’ books. It’s unfair. Sorry! But You’re my Project Runway All-Stars host, so I thought I’d give it a try).
It was cute.
A bit on the surface, but cute.
It hit on these topics without it feeling like it was being too obvious:
STEAM and girls
Friends changing, especially in middle school years
Working towards a cause
Understandi
Ava Budavari
3.5/5

OKAY so this was so cute and I loved it. Hope is I think who everyone wants to be when they grow up. I really really wish I had this when I was in middle school and I think it’s going to help a lot of people. I really admire both of these authors and what they’ve done here. Feminism! The messages of always using your voice, and how you don’t have to be perfect to make a difference are so so important. Make sure to pick up Hope: Project Middle School when it comes out October 1,
Darian
Entering middle school can be tough and this is no different for Hope. Nevertheless, she doesn't let navigating new and changing friendships and advanced classes get in her way of being true to herself and standing up for what she believes to be right. I admit that I was wondering who this book would be ideal for - its relatively simple lot made it feel appropriate for striving readers while being about middle school - but I did immediately think of a student I would recommend it to!
Bickering Book Reviews
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6c6q...

This book had the potential to be a great middle grade book but the content and the narrative voice quite work.

We received eARCs of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
ChangedByBooks
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book. I thought it was just going to be that but now that I've read it I know it has some really important topics and I even wanted to know what was going to happen. I almost don't read middle grade books but I got this arc in bookcon so I wanted to give it a try
Zachary Krishef
May 21, 2019
Alyazia
May 23, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Adjusting authors 2 14 Apr 15, 2019 09:41AM
Actress and activist Alyssa Milano has spent almost her entire life in the public eye. A famous child actor, she has continued to work throughout her adulthood in both television and film, most notably starring in the wildly popular television series Who's the Boss? and Charmed.

Alyssa is also a lifelong activist and is passionate about fighting for human rights around the world. In 2003, UNICEF i

Hope (2 books)