Start by marking “Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)” as Want to Read:
Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)

Season of the Witch

(The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1)

From the creator of RIVERDALE comes the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, a new NETFLIX series based on the classic Archie comic series. This prequel YA novel tells an all-new, original story.

It's the summer before her sixteenth birthday, and Sabrina Spellman knows her world is about to change. She's always studied magic and spells with her aunts, Hilda and Zelda. But she's
Published July 9th 2019 by Scholastic Inc. (first published July 4th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Season of the Witch, please sign up.
Uche You don't need to. The book is self-contained. Knowledge of the show might make certain events more meaningful but isn't necessary to understand the b…moreYou don't need to. The book is self-contained. Knowledge of the show might make certain events more meaningful but isn't necessary to understand the book. (less)

Start your review of Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
Pie
Jan 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
i would read sarah rees brennan's grocery list
Amanda
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The POV chapter from Harvey's brother, Tommy, DID ME IN. I was not expecting that. 💜
Ben Howard
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
me when i heard they were making a prequel book to caos:
Sophie (Blame Chocolate) *on hiatus*
Season of The Witch by Sarah Rees Brennan

Read the full review and more at Blame Chocolate.

🧹 A big thank you to Scholastic for the review copy. This has not influenced my opinion in any way. 🧹

I laughed hard, got a bit teary-eyed, aaaawww’ed a lot, and wanted to rewatch The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina by the time I was done. This is a TV tie-in done amazingly well and I’m so glad I got to read it ❤

I went in with super high expectations, craving for something to bring me back all that spooky cosiness Sabrina made me experience last yea
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
But I would say that, wouldn't I. ;)
˗ˏˋ janet ˊˎ˗
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I decided to pick this up because I missed watching my favorite witch & co. It definitely didn’t disappoint and I’m glad for that. The book proved a quick short read and was a good read. Most of the book is written in first person but it does have alternating third person chapters focused on different characters and their thoughts. I really liked that because we know first hand how Sabrina feels as well as what the other characters think and feel too.

None of the characters felt ‘out of characte
Kerri
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was hoping this would be good, and thankfully it was! Taking place before the first season of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, this novel charts earlier days of Harvey and Sabrina's relationship, fleshes out the character of Harvey's brother, Tommy, even more and has Sabrina wrestling with whether or not she even wants to be a witch. She thinks her family is so complicated because they are witches. (view spoiler) ...more
Eri
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
I would literally read anything sarah rees brennan writes
Yvonne Olson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of the television show, you'll enjoy this immensely. Sarah Rees Brennan managed to write a book that had the same eerie and beautiful setting of the show.

This book is a prequel to the show, leading up to Sabrina's dark baptism. There is character growth and some backstory you don't get from the television show that makes the characters even more well-rounded. The relationships between Sabrina and her family are highlighted more, and her relationship with Harvey goes on a bit of
☼ rachel ☼
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Scholastic in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

You can see this review and many others on my Blog

I really enjoyed this prequel novel to Netflix's show "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina", and I think it's perfect for anyone who really likes the show. Personally, I really liked the show, so I think that somewhat goes into my enjoyment of this book. It's a very cute and fun YA/Middle Grade story about a girl who is half-witch and half-mortal.
Mari Johnston
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Meh.

That one word pretty much sums up how I feel about Sarah Rees Brennan’s prequel to the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Netflix series. Book adaptations of movies and shows are always a risky thing to do. Season of the Witch isn’t the worst I’ve read, but it certainly wasn’t the best.

Everything about this story was very flat. You are definitely able to read it without having first seen the Netflix Original show. There we
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
“‘To be a witch is to kiss the moon.’”

This was a quick read to add to my Sabrina book collection. It goes along with the darker nature of the comic books and Netflix series, but the book was different enough from the series to still be interesting. The writing was good with creepy details, and I loved Harvey’s brother Tommy. This is definitely the first in a series and is a set up book to show Sabrina struggling with dark and light. It takes place before she begins attending the Academy. I def
Jessica | Booked J
Blog | Twitter | Instagram

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series:
Season of the Witch : ★★★★★
Daughter of Chaos: TBD
Path of Night: TBD

Review was originally posted here at Booked J. As always, a copy of this book was provided by the publisher or author in exchange for participating in the blog tour/my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

"Power shouldn't only be in the hands of those with cold, fickle hearts. If I wanted better magic, I had to make magic for myself
Leah
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The characters here matched the show perfectly, and for that, I applaud Sarah Rees Brennan. I imagine that was incredibly hard to do. I particularly loved the other characters chapters. They were the highlight of this book for me, and I think that's just because we see so much of Sabrina in the TV show. It was great to see outside of her story. I loved the formatting of this book, but the black pages (with white letters) had my eyes straining a bit.

This did take me a bit to get into, and I thin
Therese
Jul 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
i've never seen a single episode of sabrina, but if sarah rees brennan is writing it then i'm reading it and that's that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rachel
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually bought this book because it was pretty cheap on Amazon and I had been watching the TV series. Considering how the show doesn't have the best writing in the world I had no expectations. I guess that's why this book has been a delightful surprise to me. All the things I missed in the show, I found them here. I loved how we get to see more of Ambrose and his relationship with Sabrina. Also Zelda or Prudence's more vulnerable side. All in all, this was a good reading.
Jackie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disappointed it couldn’t hold me at all. I’ve tried numerous times to get into this novel but I think it’s time to give up
Britt
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, cute, fun read! It definitely didn’t effect the plot of the Netflix series (the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina), but was a really nice prelude into the story and gave great backstory on so many of the characters. I liked how much more we got to see of the relationship between Sabrina and Ambrose. He’s one of my favorites. And the point of view from Tommy was bittersweet and beautiful. Interested to read the rest of the books and see how they tie in!
Gabriela Pop
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.75/5
I think the book(s) may add a lot more to my enjoyment of the TV show, so I'd highly recommend them to everyone who wanted just a tad more from the story and didn't quite feel like Netflix delivered. The writing style and choices offer for both a fun, whimsical storyline to follow as well as really in-depth heartfelt character moments. If I were to be completely honest with both you and myself, I'd have to admit that it was the character moments and the peeks into their inner lives that se
Skyeofskynet
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good shit.
Not the plot. To be honest the plot could be absoulety about anything and it wouldn't change much about the whole thing.
But Sarah Rees Brennan recreated the voices of the characters perfectly. And what's more important, she recreated what is going on in their heads perfectly.
But reading white font on black pages was pure horror.
Luv
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's great to get back into this world again, whilst awaiting a new season. I loved the different POV's, especially Tommy's and Ambrose's
Brooklyn Tayla
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My book reviews, the most recent being "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Season of the Witch" can be found on my book blog:
brooklynthebookworm.wordpress.com

I recieved a copy of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Season of the Witch from Scholastic Australia in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts are my own.
I absolutely loved this book! I’ve only really just this week started watching the Netflix Show that this book was written as a prequel of, and truly, it was done so brilliantly!
Fay Pretty
People spend their whole lives waiting for something to begin, and instead they come to an ending.
Well, you can’t complain about endings. Everybody gets one.

I love to read, and I love The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (the TV series) so I thought this would provide a lovely escape to the world I love. Honestly, though, it exceeded expectations, especially for a prequel based on a TV series. I don’t hold out hope for books based on films and series in general, its normally always better the othe
Regan
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks for making me cry on an airplane, SRB. Again.

This is really good.
Blue
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am all for the darkness of Sabrina the TV show and I thought it would be interesting to see how that dark element would be delivered into a book but yet still have a light heart feel to the darkness so you don’t feel as though you are in a morbid horror written by Stephen King (not that there is anything wrong with that!) However Brennan pulled it off!
This prequel to the TV show fits in perfect and you can tell that Brannen has researched the characters and they types of personalities they hav
Amanda
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witches, fantasy, horror
“I mean, launching into deep philosophical conversations about, like, feelings… I normally just have sex with people, or curse them, you know, normal stuff…”

the harvey/nick scene was… a lot
Books.and.brews_
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much @scholasticau for sending me a copy to read and review :)

First let me just say that I haven't watched the Netflix series, but now that I've read this I am definitely going to too, I need to know more of Sabrina's adventures! (I did use to watch the old school one with Mellissa Joan Hart!)

This was a really fun and easy to read story about a girl that is half mortal and half witch who is leading a "somewhat" mortal life until her 16th birthday when she undertakes her dark baptis
Tracy (caffeineandcurses)
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I couldn't resist but read this after spending my youth (many, many moons ago) watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch - you know the one? with Melissa Joan Hart? anyway, I digress.

This book was a really fun read! It picked up pace from the start and got straight in on Sabrina and her time before she becomes a fully seasoned witch. I really enjoyed getting to know Sabrina and how it all started. The book was broken up nicely with it mostly from Sabrinas POV, with the darker pages being clear markers
Jessica Hawley (Moon)
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Blind your mind and blind your heart
Let these painful thoughts depart.”

Excerpt From
Season of the Witch (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Book #1)

I want to start by saying that I have not seen any of the new series of Sabrina.

With that let me say this,

Your not walking through a closet to the other Realm in this book!

And I don’t think we’re going to see Sabrina riding a vacuum 😭

No your going darker, and it’s amazing!

Although I must say, I get the feeling Ambrose is a lot like Amanda 😂💀
Aseel
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
3.75

It was nice to see that this wasn't an exact written version of the first few episodes of the tv show, I really enjoyed then changes and then plot. I also liked the characterisation of Sabrina

• Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Occult Edition
  • The Maple Murders (Riverdale, #3)
  • Get Out of Town (Riverdale #2)
  • Nancy Drew: The Curse
  • The Day Before (Riverdale #1)
  • Hell City - Laatste Halte
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible
  • Runaway Max (Stranger Things, #3)
  • Death of a Cheerleader (Riverdale, #4)
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Jenseits der goldenen Brücke (Cassardim, #1)
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch (2019-) #1
  • Destroy All Monsters
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (3 books)
  • Daughter of Chaos (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #2)
  • Path of Night (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #3)

News & Interviews