Start by marking “Ghosts of the Missing” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of the Missing

Ghosts of the Missing

In the vein of The Lovely Bones and The Little Friend, Ghosts of the Missing follows the mysterious disappearance of a twelve-year-old girl during a town parade and the reverberations of this tragedy throughout the town.
On Saturday, October 28, 1995, a girl vanished.She was not a child particularly prized in town...When questioned by reporters, those who’d known Rowan
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of the Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of the Missing

Start your review of Ghosts of the Missing
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

The comparison to THE LOVELY BONES is really unfortunate because it almost sets this book up to fail. The only things the two books really have in common is the disappearance of a young girl and the ripple effect it has on a small community. GHOSTS OF THE MISSING in particular revolves around the missing girl's friend, Adair, now a young portraitist living in New York.

She leaves the city to go back to her hometown, a small, barely on the
OutlawPoet
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a meandering tale, best suited to a reader who likes things slow and and quiet.

The bits of Irish folklore were engaging, and I found myself wishing the book had stuck to that - a melding of folklore and the modern world. Unfortunately, it tries to be too much - a ghost story, a mystery, a literary tale of small town gossip and culture.

And it lost me.

I made it three quarters of the way through before reluctantly acknowledging that this is not the book for me.

Three stars as I know it will
Mary Lins
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: complete
It’s right here in the title! “Ghosts of the Missing”, by Kathleen Donohoe, is a ghost story. BUT it's also MUCH more; it's a missing girl mystery, a story of friendships, a love story, and an HIV AIDS historical novel.

Donohoe is a spell-binding storyteller! I was immediately engrossed; this is a perfect book for a cold winter’s day in a favorite comfy-chair by a fire. It’s propulsive, atmospheric, mysterious, lyrical, and thoroughly satisfying.

Cassius Moye was a young man who may have seen a
Kayla TM
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Adair McCrohan has lived her life on the outskirts of companionship. She finds work through a temp agency and spends most of her free time sketching. But when circumstance returns her to the writer’s retreat that is Moye House where she grew up, Adair finds herself investigating the disappearance of Rowan Kinnane, her friend who disappeared when she was twelve. Along with Rowan’s half brother Ciaran, Adair begins to unravel the case, looking for clues to what happened to her last real friend. ...more
Lori Tatar
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story! It is almost ephemeral and so beautiful. As I put it away for awhile now, it is destined to be one of a very few books I will reread. Ghosts of the Missing is splendid story telling from a generations-deep dreamscape that is steeped in superstition and ritual, then set in modern times with modern tragedies. The human-ness of it is as deep as anything I have ever read.
Pat Yosca
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book and was not familiar with the previous novels of Kathleen Donohoe. I had to take my time reading and remember that the disappearance of young Rowan Kinnane in October 1995 is the central theme of the story. Adair, her friend was one the last to see her before her mysterious disappearance. It haunts her and others in the small community of Culleton, New York. Adair now a young adult has returned to Culleton to work at the Moye House, a writers colony that was part ...more
Mary Ellen Anaka
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for sending me this story. I had not read this author before. Now I will most definately seek out other works by Kathleen Donohoe. I love a good mystery and I think what intrigued me the most, was the story line. What happened to a missing 12 yearold girl named Rowan? Was she taken? Was she murdered? Is she still alive? Her body was hever found. Was it something from the past that still haunts this town? Her best friend/ cousin is determined to find out, ...more
Pattyh
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview Ghost of the Missing by Kathleen Donahoe. A missing child and the search for the truth in a small town is the major plot of this novel. It is well written and provides alot of details to help the reader grasp the scope of the plot. For me, I did find this book good but not great. This story line has been done before so there are not alot of surprises or twists.
Just ok.
2.5 stars.
Eileen
I DON'T like books without closure. The biggest question in Ghosts of the Missing is "What happened to Rowan Kinnane" 308 pages later we STILL don't know.

Was she kidnapped & murdered?
Did her mother or stepfather murder her & hide the body?
Did she die lost in the local woods?

We. Don't. Know.
Marisa
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming in February 2020 is a hauntingly beautiful ghost story and mystery that will hook readers from the first page! I loved every page of this story. I got lost in the interweaving storylines and mysteries. Absolutely loved it

I fell in love with Donohoe’s writing with her first novel and this follow up (well worth the wait!) did not disappoint.
Kat
#GhostsoftheMissing
#Edelweiss

A emotional story about loss, relationships, and the power of true friendship that really never leaves us. I felt this was a little dark in the tone and imagery almost that you can't get away from it's depth.
Teneka Parker
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing is good but hard to follow in a few places hence the 4 stars. Otherwise the book and storyline are great. No spoilers here but I will say you should read.
Amber
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Copy courtesy of edelweiss. Story had potential, but the ending was a complete letdown. Also, the comparison to Gone Girl is grossly misleading.
Sugus

Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Elaine
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Ghosts of the Missing.

I was excited when my request was approved because the premise sounded so intriguing; the disappearance of a young girl named Rowan in the early 90s has far reaching effects for her only friend, Adair, and Rowan's half brother, Ciaran, 20 years later.

This isn't a straightforward mystery, but more a story about the Moye family and its descendants.

It's about the ghosts of our ancestors and the stories they brought from their
Lori Tatar
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Just ok.
2.5 stars.
Eileen

Was she kidnapped & murdered?
Did her mother or stepfather murder her & hide the body?
Did she die lost in the local woods?

We. Don't. Know.

• A Perfect Explanation
  • American Dirt
  • When All Is Said
  • The Dilemma
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Wonderland
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Girls Like Us
  • The Old Success (Richard Jury, #25)
  • The Wishing Tree in Irish Falls
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Sulwe
  • The Holdout
  • Look Both Ways
  • The Man in the White Linen Suit (Stewart Hoag Mystery, #11)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Princess and the Pit Stop
Kathleen Donohoe's novel Ghosts of the Missing, is forthcoming in February 2020 from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

She is also the author of the novel Ashes of Fiery Weather, which was named one of Book Riot’s 100 Must-Read New York City Novels.

Her stories and essays have appeared in The Recorder: The Journal of the American Irish Historical Society, Web Conjunctions, Washington Square Review, Irish