Start by marking “All This Could Be Yours” as Want to Read:
All This Could Be Yours

All This Could Be Yours

“If I know why he is the way he is then maybe I can learn why I am the way I am,” says Alex Tuchman, strong-headed lawyer, loving mother, and daughter of Victor Tuchman—a power-hungry real estate developer and, by all accounts, a bad man. Now that Victor is on his deathbed, Alex feels she can finally unearth the secrets of who he is and what he did over the course of his ...more
Published October 22nd 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about All This Could Be Yours, please sign up.
Charlotte Hamrick No. The book clearly says Twyla and Gary lived in Algiers while Sharon lived in the upper Ninth Ward. Two totally different neighborhoods on opposite…moreNo. The book clearly says Twyla and Gary lived in Algiers while Sharon lived in the upper Ninth Ward. Two totally different neighborhoods on opposite sides of the river. (less)

Start your review of All This Could Be Yours
Roxane
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a sublimely dysfunctional family and how that dysfunction is revealed, slowly, artfully, deliberately, makes for a very entertaining read. I particularly appreciate how even the worst of this family, Victor, is treated with some generosity, some understanding that people are complicated, even when they are terrible. I questioned the frame at times but was absolutely enraptured by the portrait within that frame.
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
This is my 2nd time reading Jamie Attenberg.
I absolutely hated the ‘popular’ book, “The Middlesteins”. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
So — I’ve been extremely hesitant to read her again. Intentionally passing on her other books.

I liked “All This Could Be Yours” better’ than “The Middlesteins”...but I didn’t exactly feel narrative-energy on my skin, either.
Hmmmm????

I like contemporary fiction. I like messy family drama.....
So?????
I’m left wondering, “what’s not working?”
Why do Jami’s books
Jessica Woodbury
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Jami Attenberg is one of those novelists I am always curious about, because I read her books and I know they are good, but they never really connect with me on the level I want them to. This doesn't mean she is a bad writer (she is an objectively good one!) but the way in which her books *should* work for me and then don't quite work for me fascinates me and I cannot figure it out.

The cycle played out again here, this is a messy family drama that shifts perspectives, holds on to a few key
Jenna
As indicated by its title and “Storage Wars”-esque cover, this little novel - importantly, largely set in New Orleans - is a meditation on dealing with legacies, whether family, relational, economic, civic, institutional, or otherwise.

Most compellingly, I think, the book considers the specific legacies of abuse and especially of neglect - be it emotional, as in parental emotional neglect, or neglect of a marriage, or neglect of a city’s infastructure, or neglect of rules and responsibilities to
Jenna
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fine. The writing was very good. I'm not quite sure what was happening or why. I didn't connect to any of the characters.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
I like her writing a lot, but I’m really not sure what her intent was with this book. Family members have to finally talk to each other when the father is dying. He was a horrible man and nobody is sad he’s going. We follow each family member around and learn about their lives, but that’s it. There are also some long sections on completely peripheral characters that seem to be there just for filler. There isn’t a real plot, and I didn’t see a lot here about the father’s impact on the lives of ...more
Emily
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read many glowing reviews for this book, and many of those reviews state that this book may not be for everyone. I think I fall into that group of people who are just not the right fit for this book.

All That Could Be Yours is a book about a seriously dysfunctional family. Victor, the family patriarch, is a horrible man in every aspect. There is nothing redeeming about him. His influence on the family causes trouble and dysfunction through multiple generations. This novel explores how
Jaclyn Crupi
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a few writers who I feel write books just for me – Katherine Heiny, Curtis Sittenfeld, Kristen Iskandrian and Jami Attenberg – all American women of my generation who I feel have a definite shared sensibility that really resonates with me. I love Attenberg’s various literary devices deployed to make us consider our shared humanity, or lack thereof, and she puts them to great use here. A man like Victor was always going to be a tough character to read but I loved how rather than make ...more
Abbey
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I received an advanced copy of the book from NetGalley.

Oh man, I devoured this book! Centered around a man on his deathbed, this book is alive, alive, alive. It explores the effect of a toxic person on those close to them. Family and secrets and connections. It made me want to know more about the inner life of every person I've ever known or met or seen.
Alex
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fine. Probably best since The Middlesteins but still something I was less impressed with. For some reason I don't jive with the voice(s) she brings to her books compared to similar commercial fiction writers who are Attenberg's contemporaries. After 4 novels, I'm probably not going to read her again.
Traci at The Stacks
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I loved the writing. The sentences were never what I was expecting. She finds unique ways to say mundane things. I was sort of interested in the story and sort of not, but the writing kept me going. I also liked the shifting focuses of chapters and the way the book moved through time. Fiction lovers and lovers of family drama will love this book.
Erin Glover
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
This is the story of how a 73-year old Victor, a New York gangster, continues his criminal life right up to the moment of his death from a heart attack. Mysteriously, he and his wife leave Manhattan ostensibly to start a new relationship with their grown kids in New Orleans. But neither Victor nor Alex are falling for it. What are Victors and Barbra's real reasons for moving from Manhattan?

Victor and his wife met at a funeral of one of her family members, the daughter of a criminal. They
Sarah at Sarah's Book Shelves
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
[4.5 stars]

Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for an advanced copy of this book.

2019 has been a stellar year for family dramas and All This Could Be Yours may be the darkest of them all! The level of family dysfunction is high, but what makes it truly dark are the thoughts and feelings of each of these family members. If you need hope in your books, this probably isn’t the choice for you. The story examines what happens when someone you’re “supposed to love” is in danger of dying, but you don’
Kailey (kmc_reads)
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5ish stars - thanks to the publisher for my free copy

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. At one point, I feel like nothing happened (it all takes course over like, a day and a half) however, through flashbacks & other retellings, SO much happens. It's short so it's a quick read but I found myself skimming a little towards the end. If you enjoy heavy character driven novels, you could try it.
Amanda
3.5 stars. Entertaining dysfunctional family drama
Nicole Aquilina
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok

I finished this one a few days ago but I needed to let it linger for a little bit while I gathered my thoughts. I kept thinking maybe I missed something because this book has such good reviews and some are even saying that it’s the best book they have read this year. This is just proof that everyone’s opinions are different because honestly, I had trouble getting through this one. I couldn’t connect with the characters or the story.

I’m usually a sucker for family drama, especially to
Amy
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, november-2019
My expectations were sky high and I was not disappointed. I loved the story and the characters. I loved loved loved the glimpses of the inner lives of people who were just passing through the story. The ending was so gutsy and satisfying and ice cold. I will read this one again sometime.
Claire Handscombe
Nobody writes dysfunctional families better than Jami Attenberg.
Michael Perkins
I was interested in the premise of this story given some parallels in my own family, but found the writing style painfully bad, especially her clunky attempts at description. For me, the book defended itself against being read.

I guess I'm accustomed to the lucid style of, say, Graham Greene, or something more innovative such as Blood Meridian, and a book like this doesn't come even close.
Julie Rose
Oct 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNFed. waffled about putting it down but ultimately stopped on page 100.
Kathy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read the Kindle ARC of "All This Could Be Yours," by Jami Attenberg. I have read all of Ms. Attenbergs books and this, by far, was my favorite. It is the intricately-woven story of a family, never quite to together but always quite broken. Victor is a man with shady business dealings and connections. His wife, Barbra, raises their two children, Gary and Alex, in the comfort of their Connecticut home, but its with a price. Victor's money ...more
Heather Fineisen
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A day on the death bed of the patriarch of a dysfunctional family. Both grown kids hate their father and question their mother about her long term loyalty to him. The story is told in flashbacks and the structure works well. Taking place in New Orleans, the hat is tipped to 'recovery efforts and a short story line of a caregiver seems a bit out of place. Other than this, this was a solid read and with some of Attenberg' s other works has made me a fan.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
Emily
Sep 21, 2019 added it
Jami Attenberg writes with both brevity and wit. This is a dysfunctional family saga that revolves around the deathbed of an asshole patriarch. Each chapter is told from a different vantage point, including the coroner that performs the autopsy. I laughed out loud frequently, guffawed in many instances, and found the book a ton of fun!

check out episode 86 of the Book Cougars Podcast airing on 10/1/19 for more
Michelle
I like Jami Attenberg and this fits nicely into her canon of work. In this we have an extremely dysfunctional family with an absolutely deplorable patriarch who's on his death bed. I was captivated by the story and the secrets that are unspooled--she definitely adds an element of suspense in what otherwise might be a character study. Attenberg's writing is crisp and her approach to storytelling unique. At times there were a few too many POVs but it's impressive that she pulled it off. This book ...more
Alison
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I always enjoy the act of reading her books. Her sentences are flashy and fast-paced, so I feel like I'm barreling through the story. It's fun. But then at the end, I always feel like something's missing, like I barely knew the characters and like all of the stylistic side-shows were distractions. I don't know. Maybe I just have trouble accepting her books for what they're trying to be. And I'll keep reading her.
Deb
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never read Jami Attenberg's previous novels. I kept hearing about All This Could Be Yours on multiple literary podcasts. So I grabbed a copy and dug in. A dysfunctional family tells their story at the death bed of their abusive, nasty arrogant patriarch. His wife, verbally and physically abused by her husband seems to stand by his side unwilling to share her life story with her daughter. Alex, the daughter, fights to find out what made her father the way he is. Trying to forgive yet ...more
Susan Crowe
I like the way this woman (the author) thinks!!
I will absolutely be reading more of her books!
This was a great book!
The narrator, Therese Plummer is perfect!
Jacqueline
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is very white.
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whew. Those were some flawed messed up people. A brutish violent man and the consequences his actions have on him and his family. Even past death. It was riveting to watch their complicated family throughout their lives. Like The Maury Povich show but way darker! 5 stars for this one.

• Nothing to See Here
  • The Dearly Beloved
  • Fleishman Is in Trouble
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • The Family Upstairs
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • In the Dream House
  • Dominicana
  • The Giver of Stars
I'm the author of Instant Love, The Kept Man, The Melting Season, The Middlesteins, and Saint Mazie. My sixth book, All Grown Up, came out March 2017 and my latest novel, All This Could Be Yours, is forthcoming in October 2019. You can find me on twitter @jamiattenberg. I'm originally from the Chicago area, lived in New York City for twenty years, and am now happily a New Orleans resident.
“He did bad things. Even though he thought he was the hero.” 0 likes
“I don't know who I am. I don't know what to do with myself. Here I am, being me. I don't know what that means.” 0 likes