Start by marking “All This Could Be Yours” as Want to Read:
All This Could Be Yours

All This Could Be Yours

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  8,701 ratings  ·  1,194 reviews
“If I know why he is the way he is then maybe I can learn why I am the way I am,” says Alex Tuchman, strong-headed lawyer, loving mother, and daughter of Victor Tuchman—a power-hungry real estate developer and, by all accounts, a bad man. Now that Victor is on his deathbed, Alex feels she can finally unearth the secrets of who he is and what he did over the course of his l ...more
Published October 22nd 2019 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about All This Could Be Yours, please sign up.
Rhinnan My thought is that it was purchased by Victor. It seemed as tho he’d begun to get back into some shady real estate dealings again, and Barbra had disc…moreMy thought is that it was purchased by Victor. It seemed as tho he’d begun to get back into some shady real estate dealings again, and Barbra had discovered he’d gotten a new place in town that he’d moved his office things to.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Tessa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,701 ratings  ·  1,194 reviews

Start your review of All This Could Be Yours
Roxane
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a sublimely dysfunctional family and how that dysfunction is revealed, slowly, artfully, deliberately, makes for a very entertaining read. I particularly appreciate how even the worst of this family, Victor, is treated with some generosity, some understanding that people are complicated, even when they are terrible. I questioned the frame at times but was absolutely enraptured by the portrait within that frame.
Elyse  Walters
This is my 2nd time reading Jamie Attenberg.
I absolutely hated the ‘popular’ book, “The Middlesteins”. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
So — I’ve been extremely hesitant to read her again. Intentionally passing on her other books.

I liked “All This Could Be Yours” better’ than “The Middlesteins”...but I didn’t exactly feel narrative-energy on my skin, either.
Hmmmm????

I like contemporary fiction. I like messy family drama.....
So?????
I’m left wondering, “what’s not working?”
Why do Jami’s books h
Jessica Woodbury
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jami Attenberg is one of those novelists I am always curious about, because I read her books and I know they are good, but they never really connect with me on the level I want them to. This doesn't mean she is a bad writer (she is an objectively good one!) but the way in which her books *should* work for me and then don't quite work for me fascinates me and I cannot figure it out.

The cycle played out again here, this is a messy family drama that shifts perspectives, holds on to a few key revea
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

All This Could Be Yours is the story of an estranged family who gather together (or avoid even further, in the case of one) at the family patriarch’s deathbed. This is dysfunction at its best as everyone comes to terms with either being raised by or married to a guy like . . . . .

Jamie Attenberg isn’t an author for everyone, but she’s an auto-request for me. Her stories aren’t necessarily life-changers, but boy oh boy are
Jenna
As indicated by its title and “Storage Wars”-esque cover, this little novel - importantly, largely set in New Orleans - is a meditation on dealing with legacies, whether family, relational, economic, civic, institutional, or otherwise.

Most compellingly, I think, the book considers the specific legacies of abuse and especially of neglect - be it emotional, as in parental emotional neglect, or neglect of a marriage, or neglect of a city’s infastructure, or neglect of rules and responsibilities to
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
I like her writing a lot, but I’m really not sure what her intent was with this book. Family members have to finally talk to each other when the father is dying. He was a horrible man and nobody is sad he’s going. We follow each family member around and learn about their lives, but that’s it. There are also some long sections on completely peripheral characters that seem to be there just for filler. There isn’t a real plot, and I didn’t see a lot here about the father’s impact on the lives of th ...more
Jenna
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fine. The writing was very good. I'm not quite sure what was happening or why. I didn't connect to any of the characters. ...more
Carmen
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: No One
He always wanted to talk to Alex, because she was not just his sister, but also his friend, and also, they had both survived that house in Connecticut together, and it was a natural instinct to accept her hand when she reached it toward him... and she was so breathless with the news about their father's heart attack she sounded nearly joyful, which anyone else might have found inappropriate but he didn't, he was on her team, and she was on his... pg. 11

So. I went into this book the way I prefer
Emily
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have read many glowing reviews for this book, and many of those reviews state that this book may not be for everyone. I think I fall into that group of people who are just not the right fit for this book.

All That Could Be Yours is a book about a seriously dysfunctional family. Victor, the family patriarch, is a horrible man in every aspect. There is nothing redeeming about him. His influence on the family causes trouble and dysfunction through multiple generations. This novel explores how Vict
Claire
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
All This Could Be Yours is a slow, meandering portrait of a dysfunctional family. It took me a minute to find its rhythm when I started reading this, but as it progresses, the steady unravelling of flawed characters begins to make perfect sense. This character study asks big questions of its readers, about what makes us who we are, and the irrational nature of familial love. In the end I felt it was well done, and it captured my attention.
Nicole   yaaas or nahs books
⁣2.5 stars

I finished this one a few days ago but I needed to let it linger for a little bit while I gathered my thoughts. I kept thinking maybe I missed something because this book has such good reviews and some are even saying that it’s the best book they have read this year. This is just proof that everyone’s opinions are different because honestly, I had trouble getting through this one. I couldn’t connect with the characters or the story. ⁣

I’m usually a sucker for family drama, especially
Lisa
Nov 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A sharp edged examination of a family ruled by a cruel, powerful father and a cold, self-absorbed mother. Attenberg is a master at slowly revealing the lives and secrets of her damaged (and often decent) characters. I wanted to find out what happened to each one of them.
Jaclyn
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are a few writers who I feel write books just for me – Katherine Heiny, Curtis Sittenfeld, Kristen Iskandrian and Jami Attenberg – all American women of my generation who I feel have a definite shared sensibility that really resonates with me. I love Attenberg’s various literary devices deployed to make us consider our shared humanity, or lack thereof, and she puts them to great use here. A man like Victor was always going to be a tough character to read but I loved how rather than make th ...more
Katie Long
Meh. Attenberg uses multiple perspectives, and these shifting perspectives usually aren’t meant to redeem the characters, they mostly unravel more layers of dysfunction. That was pretty good, but she often diverts from the main characters to give perspectives of very tangential characters (I mean very tangential, they would be extras in a film) which was distracting, and I don’t see what was gained.
Erin Glover
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
This is the story of how a 73-year old Victor, a New York gangster, continues his criminal life right up to the moment of his death from a heart attack. Mysteriously, he and his wife leave Manhattan ostensibly to start a new relationship with their grown kids in New Orleans. But neither Victor nor Alex are falling for it. What are Victors and Barbra's real reasons for moving from Manhattan?

Victor and his wife met at a funeral of one of her family members, the daughter of a criminal. They unders
Jennifer (aka EM)
Jan 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tob-2020
Alex
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was fine. Probably best since The Middlesteins but still something I was less impressed with. For some reason I don't jive with the voice(s) she brings to her books compared to similar commercial fiction writers who are Attenberg's contemporaries. After 4 novels, I'm probably not going to read her again. ...more
Janet
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very ordinary domestic drama. The characters are interesting and seem to have potential but the novel never gets off the ground. A new character is introduced 50 pages before the end of the book who has only a tangential connection to one of the main characters. Frankly, I don’t think it works and I know it didn’t work for me.
Glenn Sumi
Apr 04, 2020 marked it as unfinished
This wasn’t the book for me - right now. Usually I enjoy or at least appreciate the present tense. But this felt meandering and lacked momentum. There were too many characters, too much exposition. I didn’t know where it was going, and ultimately I didn’t care. Oh well.
Abbey
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I received an advanced copy of the book from NetGalley.

Oh man, I devoured this book! Centered around a man on his deathbed, this book is alive, alive, alive. It explores the effect of a toxic person on those close to them. Family and secrets and connections. It made me want to know more about the inner life of every person I've ever known or met or seen.
Rincey
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 star writing, 3 star story = 3.5 stars

Watch my full review: https://youtu.be/4trVKuBh7Pk
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Another book from the Tournament of Books shortlist, All This Could Be Yours is the story of a patriarch who is not a good person. When he suffers a heart event and is dying in the hospital, the story unfolds through the various people coming to say goodbye.

In a weird complete accident, I read this in the airport and on the plane on the way to say goodbye to my father-in-law, who was in hospice at that point. While our patriarch is a nicer person, there are still just as many complexities when
Traci at The Stacks
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I loved the writing. The sentences were never what I was expecting. She finds unique ways to say mundane things. I was sort of interested in the story and sort of not, but the writing kept me going. I also liked the shifting focuses of chapters and the way the book moved through time. Fiction lovers and lovers of family drama will love this book.
Julie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNFed. waffled about putting it down but ultimately stopped on page 100.
Elaine
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audio
An entertaining family drama that at time shades into something darker and more powerful about abusive families and the damage they do. Considering that I really disliked the Middlesteins, largely because of its unlikeable characters and a rather mean spirited authorial viewpoint, I was very pleasantly surprised by the warm and generous touch Attenberg brings to her flawed but very human characters here. I was never bored and the audio flowed along quickly.

If I had one criticism, it’s that Atte
ns510
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

”This was the gaze again, which she had been missing for a while now. She was being seen, she was sure of it. Why wasn’t it enough that she could see herself, every day, anytime she liked, in a mirror. Why did she need his eyes, or anyone else’s for that matter? She existed regardless. At her core she knew that. She was alive, she breathed, she blew, she felt. But also, at her core, she felt bound to something beyond herself, a thing that was ingrained in her. She didn’t know if it was
Sarah at Sarah's Bookshelves
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
[4.5 stars]

Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for an advanced copy of this book.

2019 has been a stellar year for family dramas and All This Could Be Yours may be the darkest of them all! The level of family dysfunction is high, but what makes it truly dark are the thoughts and feelings of each of these family members. If you need hope in your books, this probably isn’t the choice for you. The story examines what happens when someone you’re “supposed to love” is in danger of dying, but you don’
Matthew
Observant, smartly constructed novel about a very dysfunctional family brought together (or not) at the end of the patriarch's life. Attenberg is a really good writer. ...more
Suzanne

• Costalegre
  • Takes One to Know One
  • Carnegie Hill
  • Tell Me A Story: My Life with Pat Conroy
  • In Hoffa's Shadow: A Stepfather, a Disappearance in Detroit, and My Search for the Truth
  • Invisible as Air
  • Turbulence
  • Your House Will Pay
  • A Pilgrimage to Eternity: From Canterbury to Rome in Search of a Faith
  • False Bingo: Stories
  • Everyone's a Critic
See top shelves…
I'm the author of Instant Love, The Kept Man, The Melting Season, The Middlesteins, and Saint Mazie. My sixth book, All Grown Up, came out March 2017 and my latest novel, All This Could Be Yours, is forthcoming in October 2019. You can find me on twitter @jamiattenberg. I'm originally from the Chicago area, lived in New York City for twenty years, and am now happily a New Orleans resident. ...more

Articles featuring this book

One of the many things we love about authors is that they tend to have some of the best reading recommendations. So, as we head into our...
“Men never really wanted your help anyway, she thought. They wanted you to do things for them, but it would never be thought of as help so much as required service.” 1 likes
“Not ever was there a time when that man’s penis stayed put where it was supposed to be, instead living its life as a free-flying dilettante, a party penis, as if it were some sort of rich-kid celebrity DJ hitting new hot spots, London, Paris, Ibiza, except instead of those cities it would be a paralegal’s vagina instead.” 1 likes