Start by marking “The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers, #3)

The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue

(The Vanderbeekers #3)

A New York Times best-selling series! Harlem’s favorite family returns in the third installment in the Vanderbeerkers series, wherein the Vanderbeeker kids find themselves racing to save their mother’s baking business from city closure. Illustrated with delightful black and white illustrations.

For the Vanderbeeker kids of Harlem’s 141st Street, spring break couldn’t be of
Published September 17th 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue

Start your review of The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers, #3)
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy via @kidlitexchange) Oh I LOVE this family even more with every story. They are the perfect combination of the Melendy and Penderwick families and the children are wonderfully unsupervised (this is a GOOD THING!) and allowed to have adventures and learn and make mistakes and I just adore them so much. This story combines pets and a BIG family problem and is just such a delightful story. I raced through it and can't wait to share it with students!

Yan Glaser writes for this audie
Lisa Vegan
I loved the first 2 books in this series, but I was afraid that I wouldn’t like this third book. It turns out that this might be my favorite book of the first three books. A fourth book, The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found, is expected out in 2020 and I definitely plan to read it as soon as it’s available.

There are many charming black & white illustrations throughout by the author and a great map on the inside covers and floor plans for the family house and treehouse.

This story is so funny. Many
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
4 stars.
This series has been so enjoyable thus far and I’m a bit sad I have to wait so long for the next book! This third installment of the “The Vanderbeeker” series was such a fun read like the previous books. I truly love seeing a happy, normal, and loving family in fiction books (let’s think about all the books in the Middle-Grade or YA market that have “bossy” parents or just lacking paternal figures entirely) and this family is just precious.

Content:
*A couple mentions of blessings ov
Ian
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Middle school children...and adults. Everyone.
Things are looking up for the Vanderbeekers when their mom learns her cookie business is to be featured in a famous magazine. But things quickly go awry after her children trying to be helpful put her license to operate a commercial kitchen in jeopardy.

Adding to their problems, someone is leaving animals on their doorstep and considering it was their pets who brought on the kitchen calamity they need to find homes for their fast growing menagerie...quickly.

Vanderbeekers to the Rescue is comple
Allison Tebo
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, own
A read that is almost sturdy in its cuteness. A nice fluffy read to blow through on a Sunday afternoon and, in my opinion, better than the first book. While this series is in no way a contender with series like The Penderwicks or the Melendy Quartet, it is still a fun little series that I will definitely finish.
Laura (bbliophile)
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The fun thing about the Vanderbeekers series is that every time I pick up a new book in this series, I know it's going to be a new favorite. This one was no different. ...more
Laura Gardner
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
another ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 read for Vanderbeekers #3! Thanks to @karinaisreadingandwriting and @hmhbooks for sharing this ARC with me and @kidlitexchange. All opinions are my own. It's not out until 9/17, but pre-order now!
〰️
〰️
Along with the Penderwicks, the Gaithers and Quimbys, the Vanderbeekers have a very special place in my heart as a wonderful series about a fun family and their adventures.
Book 3 may be my favorite of the series thus far -- I loved seeing the kids come up with a creative soluti
Cindy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The BEST Vanderbeeker book yet. Quite possibly the most fun family read-aloud we've ever done! ...more
Shaye Miller
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you haven’t yet met the Vanderbeeker family from Harlem, there’s no time like the present. This biracial, generous, and close-knit family is still living in their beloved brownstone on 141st Street and they are met with a new family catastrophe along with a new mystery to solve. Mama’s baking business is taking off and her home-based kitchen must pass inspected. And WHY do homeless animals keep showing up on their doorstep? There’s so much to love about this series, but what I adore most abou ...more
Kelly
Jul 06, 2019 added it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This series is just so delightful. The latest edition involves so many animals, so much compassion for pets waiting to find their families, and cat cafes!
Gahyun
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
one of the best mcba books
Abigail
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Vanderbeekers / Animal Lovers / Readers Looking for Heartwarming Family Stories
That warmhearted Harlem family, the Vanderbeekers, are back in this third delightful novel devoted to their adventures, as the siblings seek to undo the damage they think they have done to their mother's baking business, when an inspector's visit goes horribly wrong. Determined to hide the family's pets - Franz the dog, George Washington the cat, and Paganini the bunny - during the next inspection, in order to win back their mother's license, the Vanderbeekers instead discover that the number of ...more
Joey
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another AMAZING adventure with the Vanderbeeker family!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Basically everything was amazing
ALSO WHY DID I JUST FIND OUT THERE IS A FOURTH BOOK SUPPOSEDLY COMING OUT IN 2020?!?!?! Oooooohmyygoooosh im so excited
Romie
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Romie by: Laura (bbliophile)
this was this absolute purest thing. this is hands down my favourite middle grade series, and this third novel did not disappoint. I love these kids to pieces, I love the way their family is so important to them and the story. also this novel features so many rescue animals and a cat café, so obviously I was meant to love it! (4.5)
DaNae
This was a perfect, perfect read for March 2020. All the problems were fixable and not predicable. And cuteness abounded.
Almira
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Vanderbeeker siblings are up to their usual antics, only this time it has dire consequences for their mother's in-home bakery business. Home for spring break, everyone is in high mode for the upcoming events - the interview and their mother's birthday.

Mrs. Vanderbeeker has been chosen to be highlighted in an issue of "Perch Magazine" - naturally she is in "seventh heaven" and concerned about how their home appears..... As she is out one day, the siblings allow a city inspector in, who conseq
Allison
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-books
THE VANDERBEEKERS TO THE RESCUE is another fabulous installment in the series. I love everything about this book--the chaos, the caring, the humor, and especially the characters. Karina Yan Glaser has perfectly captured a warm and wonderful family and their friends. Glaser allows the kids to make mistakes and solve problems, but the the conclusions feel creative and realistic. Readers who like Beverly Cleary will find a 21st century option in the Vanderbeekers.
Kari Ann Sweeney
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, middle-grade
My middle daughter and I are BIG Vanderbeeker fans. The first book of this series, The Vanderbeerkers of 141st St., was one of my top reads of 2018. The 3rd installment continues to deliver delightful characters and a story that is a wonderful mix of sweet adventures and disastrous mishaps. When I start these books I know that I'll cry at some point. So.much.heart!
...
The Vanderbeeker family has 5 kids and are loud, lovable and sometimes chaotic. As a mom of 4, with two working parents, I can abs
Brittany
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, middle-grade
The Vanderbeekers are always a delight to be reunited with. I did find myself feeling slightly peevish at how the siblings never, ever fight and things are resolved so neatly. Still, it’s such a positive influence for all those that read it and a shining example of how to navigate this world with kindness and compassion.
Darla
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite things about fall is the latest installment in the Vanderbeekers series! The newest episode is my favorite yet as the five kids scramble to save their mom's business and help the homeless pets that keep showing up on their doorstep. You really feel their frustration and dismay. Mrs. Vanderbeeker's cookie business is in jeopardy because of the animals in the house and more keep appearing! Karina Yan Glaser gives us the distinct flavor of their Harlem neighborhood through the ey ...more
Hannah
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
Another solid and delightful adventure with thevanderbeeker fam! 😍
Kateryna
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Vanderbeekers are back in this third delightful book as the kids accidentally ruin their mother’s baking business and have big plans to fix everything on their own. It was a delight to watch them trying to help their mom out, but things didn't quite go their way. You really felt their frustration and dismay. The kids did a lot of things without their parents' consent, none of which ended particularly well. Some of the problems they faced seemed a bit over-the-top, but not so bad that it wasn ...more
Jill
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
The Vanderbeekers aren't a perfect family. They never seem to have enough money and get themselves into scrapes that while hilarious, aren't always plausible. The reason why I like this series so much is because these stories are about a family that love each other and have each others back no matter what. They care about their neighborhood and about being good people. Oliver is still my favorite Vanderbeeker. ...more
Toryn
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Vanderbeekers are back! And Mama is being featured on a magazine for her baking business. The children are hoping to clean up the apartment so the photo looks top-notch. But then the inspector comes when Mama isn't there. He says that the apartment is not clean enough to be part of a business. He revokes her license. But when Mama comes back, the children don't tell her. They set up another inspection, another chance. Can they help Mama's business, or will they make a bigger mess? Then anima ...more
Sarah Krajewski
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Vanderbeekers are back, and this time with a bit of an emergency: things go horribly wrong the morning of their mother’s scheduled inspection for her baking business. The inspector sees numerous animals near the kitchen, and that’s a big no-no. Now their mother’s license has been revoked, so the five Vanderbeeker children attempt to fix their mistake. The more they try to do, the more things go awry. But thankfully, the Vanderbeekers don’t give up!

Another heartwarming tale about one of our
Kelli Roberts
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just love the Vanderbeekers!
evelina
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of the sweetest series I've read. This story was so much fun and unexpected! ...more
Leslie Morrison
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
All three kids enjoy these books and they can’t wait for the fourth one.
Susan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and to the publisher for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Very often I am asked for book recommendations. The Vanderbeeker series is always my go to choice for kids of any age! In addition to being a great book to read to yourself, it’s also a perfect family read aloud or the ideal choice if you’re looking for an audio book to please everyone in the car. So I was delighted when the third book in the series landed in my mailbox. I knew I would once aga
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Three Keys (Front Desk, #2)
  • Pavi Sharma's Guide to Going Home
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • Glitch
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • The Thief Knot (Greenglass House #4)
  • Forward Me Back To You
  • The Nerviest Girl in the World
  • Frankie Sparks and the Class Pet
  • You Are My Friend: The Story of Mister Rogers and His Neighborhood
  • 25 Days 'Til Christmas
  • The Light in the Lake
  • We're Not from Here
  • Thirty Minutes Over Oregon: A Japanese Pilot's World War II Story
Originally from California, Karina came to New York City for college and has stuck around for nearly twenty years. She has had a varied career teaching and implementing literacy programs in family homeless shelters and recruiting healthcare professionals to volunteer in under resourced areas around the world. Now as a mother, one of her proudest achievements is raising two kids who can’t go anywhe ...more

The Vanderbeekers (5 books)
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers, #1)
  • The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers, #2)
  • The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found (The Vanderbeekers, #4)
  • The Vanderbeekers Make A Wish (The Vanderbeekers, #5)

News & Interviews

“The universe is so big, much bigger than you and me and bigger than any of our mistakes. There are always opportunities to forgive and be forgiven.” 2 likes