Start by marking “The Circus Rose” as Want to Read:
The Circus Rose

The Circus Rose

From a New York Times best-selling author, a queer retelling of “Snow White and Rose Red” in which teenage twins battle evil religious extremists to save their loves and their circus family. YA fantasy perfect for fans of Leigh Bardugo, Mackenzi Lee, and Laini Taylor.

Twins Rosie and Ivory have grown up at their ringmaster mother’s knee, and after years on the road, they’
Expected publication: June 16th 2020 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Circus Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Circus Rose

Start your review of The Circus Rose
megs_bookrack
For Your Consideration:

~ Queer Retelling of Snow White and Rose Red .
~ Twins are awesome.
~ A Circus family.
~ Giant bear and big top on cover.
~ Battle against religious extremists.

Katerina Kondrenko
4 out of 10

Okay, the language and atmosphere are WOW. But what I've just read?..
Stacy Fetters
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
"No memory is ever quite as you left it, no matter how carefully you lay it away."

Lately, I've been such a whore for circus books. If it has something to do with a circus or an act or even a family, I'm all in. And once I saw this book, I knew that I needed this in my life. ALA had my back with this book.

What draws you in first is the mesmerizing cover. The colors and the art is so spectacular that it's one to pine over. I'm in awe of this cover but I just wish the story was just as amazing as
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
A Circus' show

Circus' sisters

Ivory

and Rosie

And its up to Ivory to save the day with the help of magic

CAN'T WAIT FOR IT!*.*
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtqiap, retellings
Hi, yes. I am here for this queer retelling of “Snow White and Rose Red” and need it in my hands immediately. Thank you.
Blog | Twitter | Pinterest
rachel ☾
"... a queer retelling of “Snow White and Rose Red” in which teenage twins battle evil religious extremists to save their loves and their circus family. YA fantasy perfect for fans of Mackenzi Lee and Laini Taylor.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
riverprincess ✨
Jul 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Me: h-
This book: Snow White but it’s gay, for fans of Leigh Bardugo, and a pretty cover.
Me: I’ve only had ‘The Circus Rose’ for a day and a half but if anything happened to them I’d kill everyone in this room and then myself.
roxi Net
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: roxiown
A beautiful tale of sisters - red-haired Rose and white-haired Ivory -- born as twins by different fathers to their mother, the Bearded Lady of the Circus Rose. An interesting retelling weaving social justice themes (poly amorous relationships, non-binary non-humans, etc) that alternates POVs by prose (Ivory) and poetry (Rose). I found it interesting yet not exactly what I had hoped for from the description that I read via NetGalley and I prefer to read prose, not really understanding what the ...more
Kat
#TheCircusRose #NetGalley #Edelweiss
Thank you to NetGalley and Clarion books for the opportunity to read and review The Circus Rose by Betsy Cornwell. It is a lovely atmospheric book that has a diverse plot and characters. I think many young adults will love the way it is written and find it to be a nice style of writing for the young adult genre.
Kathleen
Feb 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020, arc-galley
Queer content: nonbinary faerie, queer relationships, polyamorous rep
Jilly
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Like other reviewers, I loved the atmosphere and descriptions in The Circus Rose but the plot is a little thin (and apparently based on Snow White, but I would say it's the influence is extremely, extremely thin). When the action does happen it's quickly resolved with no real build. The novel does have good LGBT representation, which I think is awesome for a YA book. I just wish the plot were more engaging.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
Katherine Orr
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, 2020
The concept of this book - the circus setting, the world, the characters were all brilliant. Imaginative and dream like to read about. But I wanted more, more world building, more character development, more plot, more book!

The peak of the story began and was resolved very quickly.

The story is told from the perspective of 2 sisters. One of whom writes in pro's and one in poetry. I felt the poetry was pretty unnecessary and didn't really add anything to the plot.

*I received an advance copy of
Samantha Fondriest
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
While The Circus Rose's intriguing synopsis promises circus magic, atmosphere, and found family, it fails to produce an interesting plot or provide characters the reader cares about. The plot lags; there is simultaneously too much going on and not enough fleshed out. We are rushed through some parts of the story that had potential to be interesting and further develop our characters, only to dally in parts where absolutely nothing happens. I felt like I was reading a first draft that needed ...more
Kait
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: yallfest, arcs
The worldbuilding and the rep in this book are 5 stars! The circus description was gorgeous and I love the inclusivity. The actual plot, however? Eh. Nothing happens for a long time and then once the drama does hit, it's solved too quickly. The pacing made the midsection hard to get through. Beautiful and romantic, but not exactly the best overall storytelling.
Amanda
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The Circus Rose was a breath of fresh air, IMO. It was written in alternating POV's between twins Ivory and Rosie. I really loved that writing style and one POV was told in a regular writing style and the other written in a poetry writing style. There were times when the storyline either had a lull or got a little confusing for me, but I still overall really loved the story and characters.
Thrashboy666
Feb 09, 2020
Abigail Petree
Jan 19, 2020
Sonya
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2020
Marty
May 17, 2018
Jennifer Toth keeton
May 17, 2018

• The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
  • The Perfect Escape (The Perfect Escape, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • So You Want to Move to Canada, Eh?: Stuff to Know Before You Go
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Rome of Fall
  • La bibliotecaria de Auschwitz
  • All Adults Here
  • The Future of Feeling: Building Empathy in a Tech-Obsessed World
  • We Are Not Free
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to Sex & Disability
  • The Every Body Book: The Lgbtq+ Inclusive Guide for Kids about Sex, Gender, Bodies, and Families
Betsy Cornwell is a New York Times bestselling author living in west Ireland. She is the story editor and a contributing writer at Parabola, and her short-form writing includes fiction, nonfiction, and literary translation and has appeared in Fairy Tale Review, Zahir Tales, The Violence Prevention Initiative Journal, and elsewhere. She holds an M.F.A. in creative writing from the University of ...more