Start by marking “Animal Farm: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Animal Farm: The Graphic Novel

Animal Farm: The Graphic Novel

A beautiful graphic adaptation of George Orwell's timeless and timely allegorical novel.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

In 1945, George Orwell, called “the conscience of his generation,” created an enduring, devastating story of new tyranny replacing old, and power corrupting even the noblest of causes. Today it is all too clear that
Published September 3rd 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published September 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Farm

Start your review of Animal Farm: The Graphic Novel
Ariel
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ADORED. Adored it. It's an adaption so sacrifices had to be made (including a couple scenes and some characters) but the heart was there, and some moments felt even more scary when I actually had to face the visuals of what was going on. The illustrations are GORGEOUS, the story is POWERFUL, and although I'm no official authority on the matter, I really think Orwell would have loved this adaptation.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am ambivalent about graphic novels.

They are nothing like the original book, and that is why I rarely pick them for myself.

But they do magic for kids in school who struggle to understand the complex storylines in their class novels. After all, we have a quite substantial percentage of students who have severe difficulties with literacy even in Middle School, and who find it incredibly hard to engage in literature. They get their fill of excitement and drama via other media, and they hardly ev
David Schaafsma
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy New Year!

A graphic novel adaptation by the Brazilian Odyr of the classic 1945 George Orwell text. If you had to read one Of Orwell’s several great works that are still relevant to the present state of society I would choose 1984, but this is a great one, too, also focused on his concern about totalitarianism. This is lovely, watercolored, and gets at the heart of the story though loses much of Orwell’s wonderful use of the English language, too. I still recommend it, especially as a way in
Claudia
Orwell’s Animal Farm is one of those books which, even if you did not read it feels like you did, because of its popularity. It’s my case and because of that, I never felt the desire to read it. But when I found this graphic novel, I thought I’d give it a try and I think it was the best choice for me.

Although I knew everything about it, I highly enjoyed this adaptation of the story, the illustrations and even the translation. The story is told in simplistic main ideas, and they capture perfect t
Ashley Daviau
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I first was introduced to Animal Farm in high school when we had to read it for English class and I had a difficult time enjoying it. Many years later, I decided to give it another go. I'm really glad I did because now I was able to fully appreciate this novel. I blew through it in one sitting because once I started reading, I became totally absorbed in the story and couldn't stop turning the pages. That's a true testament to how this book has stood the test of time and is still relevant today. ...more
Ed Erwin
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
I read and enjoyed the original in 9th grade. One of the few assigned books that I liked. I didn't understand exactly who and what was being satirized, but the gradual subversion of a utopian idea interested and frightened me.

It works well in this adaptation. Some things come off more funny visually, like animals constructing a windmill, or pigs walking on two feet and dining at a table. Other things come off scarier, like the wars and the political executions performed by a pack of dogs.

I only
Rod Brown
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published in Brazil, this is a superb adaptation of Orwell's dark fable. The satire remains just as timely today for our society where the "some animals are more equal than others" mentality thrives.
Whitney
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Animal Farm is one of my favorite books, so I was excited to see this on the shelves at my local library.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The art style was very inviting and reminded me a little of an artsy Children's book. The illustrations alone make it interesting. The story's bare bones plot is told and told well, but the reason it's missing a star for me is that I didn't get the same sense of foreboding that I got reading the actual text. I understand story needs to be condensed in this format and n
Chasity
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the actual book too many years ago to compare the accuracy here, but I thought this was beautiful. I wish I’d had this when I was reading the book in high school. The illustrations were just gorgeous.
Filipa
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timeless tale from George Orwell, here with illustrations from Odyr, once again showcasing greed and one's pursuit of power perfectly.

The story translates super well into a graphic novel format and it's one of those I'll have to get hold of a copy to keep on my personal book collection.
Brent
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of all sorts
Recommended to Brent by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
44 years or so have gone by since I read Orwell's novel, and now, look at us.
"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
This adaptation was first published in Brazil in 2018, and I am grateful to Brazilian artist Odyr Fernando Bernardi for the painted adaptation.
Thanks to Atlanta-Fulton Public Library for the loan.
Highly recommended.
Dakota Morgan
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Animal Farm is always a worthwhile read and this adaptation by Odyr has only strengthened the book's appeal. Beautiful watercolor images accompany a truncated version of the familiar tale, pared down to just the hits. As revolutionary socialism turns to tyrannical oligarchy on the animal-run farm, the satire has never felt so biting, the Aesop's fable-style charms so strong. Always a relevant read, Animal Farm is even more enjoyable and digestible in this format. Highly recommended.
Kris
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent adaptation. I think this would work best as a supplement to the original text, which is not very long itself. It could enhance a reading of it because this adaption both adds the rich element of art that works well with the story, as well as detracting a bit by necessity by eliminating some elements of the text. Parts are even more vivid, thanks to the art (Boxer *sob*), but Orwell's language and his ability to slowly build a world that at first seems ideal and grows ever more omino ...more
Linda
I love reading graphic versions of books that I have previously read. This rendition is beautifully illustrated telling the classic Orwell tale. My only hesitation is that a couple of times the continuity seemed disrupted to me.
Worth a look.
Angela
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice revisit. This book went over my head as a 14 year old. I don't even remember what class it was or what point the teacher was trying to make. Love the art in this.
Cam Waller
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
The art was beautiful and harrowing and brought new dimensions to the story of ANIMAL FARM.

I wasn’t thrilled by the layout and font choice, but what can you do *shrug emoji*
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
There's a part of me that can never quite cope with Animal Farm, having read it as a pony-loving child and immediately bonding with Boxer. For those of you who know the story, you'll know now why I can't quite cope with this book that promises one thing on the surface and gives you something quite different instead. It's a lot to handle at an impressionable age. It's a lot to handle at any age, I think, this book. It is rather, endlessly, brilliant.

(I also remember being marked down in a test a
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very well crafted abridged adaptation of Orwell’s novel - the meat of the allegory is represented powerfully with fantastic, vivid, emotive images and key passages. Of course the original material’s rich detail is necessary for deeper understanding of the historical connections & message but for an introduction to propaganda, political strategies, and systems of government, this graphic novel will hook younger readers (and, older ones who’d like a quick refresher). ...more
Andrew
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Animal Farm: The Graphic Novel, illustrated by Brazilian graphic novel artist Odyr and written by George Orwell, is a wonderful graphic adaptation of the classic novel on the corruption of power. This beautifully illustrated graphic novel captures the essence of George Orwell's short story brilliantly. This is a wonderful tale of rebellion and idealism corrupted by greed. Where animals rebel against their masters to build a better world, but are slowly corrupted by greed, until their masters res ...more
Stephen Lubin
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read the graphic novel of Animal Farm because it's an easy way to pass time on my phone. I have never read the full version of Animal Farm and this has to have taken some liberties on length but I got a lot out of it. I can see how impactful this book would have been for its time period. Orwell was a special author and he had a gift for shining a light on the issues of his time.

I like graphic novels. I think I'll read more this year. It feels a bit childish to say this but I like them because
Rachel
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maybe with this story as a graphic novel more people will read it again.... I do remember reading the novel in high school and it had a profound impact on how I view government and so forth. With politics how they are these days I feel that people younger than I, and apparently not required to read this any longer in school, do NOT understand how detrimental socialism really is.

This graphic novel was amazing and I LOVED the art, it looks like beautiful paintings and again, the story was wonderf
jaclyn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this adaptation of the novel. The story is interesting and the illustration is great. Literally the only reason I took a star away is because I really don’t like seeing animals harmed.
Daphne
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really good adaptation with beautiful art. Things from the original novel are definitely cut, but that's too be expected given that this is a graphic adaptation. Nothing mega-important is taken out, but this is definitely supplemental to the original novella.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
An impressive graphic adaptation of Orwell's allegory. Odyr's rich art nicely captures the story's satire.
Barry
Quick read and great refresher.
Reminds me to read the actual novel again in a few years.
G.
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reading Animal Farm in 2020 is a whole lot more devastating that last I read it in the 90s. You cannot help but see Trump as the pig Napoleon.
Christina
Sep 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This (Orwell's Animal Farm) is something I was never assigned in school, but just something I've "absorbed". Nice to have finally read it, and nice to do so in graphic novel format. Unnerving to see Napoleon's tactics in our national news.
Gabrielle Matthews
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely stunning. Gorgeous art style, beautifully adapted script. Truly a pleasure to read (in one sitting!)
Ruby
4.5
incredible illustrations. boxer deserved better.
Rick
Gorgeous art to accompany this fine adaptation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Missing Cover 4 14 May 17, 2019 10:35PM

• 1984: The Graphic Novel
  • Harry Potter: Exploring Hogwarts: An Illustrated Guide
  • Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation
  • Through a Life
  • Antoni in the Kitchen
  • 極主夫道, Vol. 1 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)