Start by marking “Serious Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Serious Moonlight

Serious Moonlight

Raised in isolation and home-schooled by her strict grandparents, the only experience Birdie has had of the outside world is through her favourite crime books.

But everything changes when she takes a summer job working the night shift at a historic Seattle hotel. There she meets Daniel Aoki, the hotel’s charismatic driver, and together they stumble upon a real-life mystery:
Expected publication: May 16th 2019 by Simon and Schuster UK Children's (first published April 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Serious Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serious Moonlight

Candace Robinson
Jenn Bennett has been my favorite YA contemporary author for a while now, and this book just kept her position at the top! A boy that likes street magic and a girl that wears flowers in her hair made my eyes fill with hearts.

At first, I must admit, I was annoyed with Birdie. But she grew up rather sheltered, so her personality fit with that. As the book went on, she really grew as a character, and I started to like her. Daniel was just a bucket full of sunshine and sweetness, and yes there's a s
Emer
I had to hold off on publishing this review or even my rating because Gabby would've shot me if I had at all told her the tiniest reaction to this book... but luckily she got her butt in gear and read it this weekend so I am now at liberty to say that this is one squishy book of cuteness. I was craving a feel good novel and this 100% hit the spot.

(NOTE: Gabby also read this as an eARC from NetGalley and you can click here to read her review. It is far more *feels* laden than mine!)

The story fol
Julie Zantopoulos
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-in-2019
NOTE: My love of this book may be swayed by the fact that Bowie is mentioned several times, once in relation to Labyrinth and his bulge...which is everything. Seriously, Bennett is the Queen of subtle amazing pop culture drops!

I adore Jenn Bennett's contemporary novels for so many reasons but a few are that they're always sex-positive and diverse and this novel is no different. Birdie and Dan are precious and I want nothing but the happiest of futures for these two kids.

Birdie is a girl who is
Hollis
It breaks my heart to rate this so low (why I always feel more guilty over three stars vs two I don't know..) but I just didn't love this the way I've loved Bennett's books in the past.

There's a lot of brilliant diversity and representation in SERIOUS MOONLIGHT and this author is always including such fabulous dialogue surrounding safe & consensual sex-positivity content but.. I didn't really love the plot (mystery surrounding the identity of a crime writer) and I kind of saw a few things c
Emma
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5 stars

I loved this book! I'm going to post a detailed review when we're closer to the official release date, but I can already tell you that I highly recommend this one!

beth

THIS is what I wanted from Starry Eyes.

THIS is what I needed from Jenn Bennett.
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Jenn Bennett has been on of my favorite contemporary writers. Her books are either a hit or a miss of me. But the ones i do love are like biiiiiiiiiig hits. So this one brings the count to 2 loved and added to all time fav... 2 are just tolerable, in the middle. This one fell in the latter category.

One of the things I love about Jenn B's books are that they are so darn atmospheric and they build up the environment around the story so much, that's one of the things I love about night owls. And t
Wing-yee (bibliomeds)
sos i need this book right now
Lisa
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
This book has it all: teen detectives, romance, an iconic city, pie, sexy times and personal growth. I loved every second and only wished this book was longer. Or that there was another Jenn Bennett book in my hands immediately after finishing this one.

Absolutely a must-read for contemporary fans.
taylor
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, e-arcs
technically a 4.5 but for goodreads i’m giving it a 5 🥰🥰
Christine Manzari
Jenn Bennett never disappoints. Unusual and quirky characters in unique and fun situations. I loved this!
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
Well, guess who has just gotten an ARC of this book?

I was just here, freaking out about college stuff ugh and then bam , a new arc coming my way.

I guess we can have nice things every once in a while.
Juliana
3.5 stars.
Let me preface this review by saying that I have adored what Jenn Bennett has put out thus far (Alex, Approximately, Starry Eyes, Anatomical Shape of a Heart) and I will continue to read whatever she writes for as long as she writes. So I hate to say that I didn't fall in love with this book. I can't quite put my finger on why this one didn't work as well because her writing is still stellar, especially in the YA world. Serious Moonlight had a good premise but it was weighed down by a
Gabby
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SOMEBODY PINCH ME, IS THIS BOOK REAL? I'll count my fingers to make sure this wasn't some dream...

I loved this. Before I would've said oh thats unsurprising, as I loved both Night Owls and Alex, Approximately. But after reading Starry Eyes with my book group, A Book Nirvana a few months ago, I had apprehensions about this. (I've also been debating if I'd have liked Starry Eyes if I wasn't fast to a) lead a discussion and b) avoid awkward spoilers!! Sometimes people make mistakes. It happens).
Jessica Ciarcz
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Edelweiss for providing an e-Arc for me!

Once again, Jenn Bennett did not disappoint. This is my third book of hers and I loved it just as much as the other two.

There is just something about the way she writes the love interests that makes me so happy. They are charming, funny, but still realistic.

I loved this book so much and I know it’s not something I will be forgetting any time soon.
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
Sep 24, 2018 marked it as tbr-highly-interested  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-to-buy
Her covers are just getting better and better! Plus, I love how the three of them fit in together.
mahana ✩
ARC kindly provided by Simon Pulse in exchange for an honest review.

rtc

TwitterBlog
Meg
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was SO CUTE. I loved everything about this-- the characters, the dabble of mystery, the diversity, the setting. EVERYTHING.
Lets break it down shall we.
We follow Birdie, she is a mystery loving, Nancy Drew wannabe who is dealing with the loss of her Mother and Grandmother. She now relies solely on her Grandfather and her mothers best friend Mona. Birdies Grandfather has been diagnosed with narcolepsy and Birdie herself has been showing signs of it as well, but she has been keeping it to hers
Mel (Abookishaddiction)
Thank you Edelweiss for this eARC of Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett. The first Jenn Bennett book that I picked up was Alex, Approximately and I absolutely loved it and could not put it down. This past summer I then picked up Starry Eyes and loved that one even more and finished it in one sitting. I was hoping that when I picked up Serious Moonlight I would feel the same pull I did when I read Bennett's other books, unfortunately, I did not.

The characters were... interesting. I did think that
Brittany
I fucking love Jenn Bennett. She is by far my favourite contemp author.

Her ladies are always relatable with some awesome quirky hobbies.
Families are present. Might be some dysfunction but hey that's all of us.
I believe she does a great job being inclusive and having a diverse cast of characters. Always including the leads.
And let me tell you, she will always provide you with your next book boyfriend.
I loved Birdie. I loved Daniel. I loved them together in all their nerdy mystery solving mag
Christina
Jenn Bennett writes the best boys. I mean, seriously, the easiest way to get to this reader’s heart is by giving me heroes that make said heart go pitter-patter, and JB delivers every time. Daniel is just... le sigh. I loved everything about him.

As for Birdie, her character drove me a little batty in the beginning, but I stuck with her because she has a lot of history to go up against. In the end, her character growth was special, and the hard won journey made the book all the better.

I’ll alway
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
Jenn Bennett writes amazing contemporary romances, with a dash of realism and that are also very sex-positive. If that sounds like your cup of tea, I definitely recommend checking this book out when it releases.

Birdie and Daniel have a one night stand, and it ends awkwardly. Good thing that Birdie is starting her new job and doesn't have to worry about it...except Daniel turns out to be her new coworker. The two of them are working at an old hotel which was the site of a famous death. Birdie, a
Sara Grochowski
Jenn Bennett has become one of my go-to authors for interesting characters, quriky plot, witty dialogue, and sweet romance! SERIOUS MOONLIGHT follows Birdie ( mystery enthusiast, budding detective, and secret narcoleptic) as she solves a mystery regarding a reclusive author. Her investigative partner? Daniel: hotel driver, skilled magician, secret keeper. With plenty of references to mystery favorites like Veronica Mars, Agatha Christie, and Poirot, a clever mystery, and a satisfying romance, Be ...more
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
Probably my least favorite Jenn Bennett so far, but still cute! Review TK!
Makenna Fournier
Arc provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Fair warning, this review is majorly going to be me gushing about how much I loved this book.
Now that the warning is out of the way, this book was everything I wanted it to be and more. I knew there was a very good chance I was going to like this book because I have loved Jenn's other books, but there is always a chance it doesn't live up to those expectation. This one ended up meeting those expectation, and was so good that it is tied f
Caryn {iam.caryn}
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Jenn Bennett is one of my favourite contemporary authors. I’ve read and loved her three previous YA contemporary books.

She seriously never disappoints. Her characters are always unique and quirky, and beautiful and realistically flawed.

And as always, her main characters have a passion that wouldn’t be considered “the norm”. That has always been my absolute favourite thing about Bennett’s books. Teaching teens that they can and should love what makes them passionate.
In Birdie’s case, it’s mysteri
Wendy
I can NEVER go wrong with Jenn Bennett. I absolutely adored everything about this book. 1) it takes place in my beloved city. 2) the family relationships are top notch, you don't have to be blood to have that bond and aunt Mona was the best. 3) diversity - I always enjoy seeing Asian characters in my books! 4) mystery: I was all about the mysteries as a kid and related to Birdie and her love of mysteries! Ok I've lost count now but: Daniel and Birdie were the actual best, loved their frank commu ...more
Andrew
A rom-com mystery set in my hometown, Seattle? Sign me UP! I adore everything about this contemporary gem. It's a small world when Birdie starts her new job at a hotel and sees new coworker Daniel, a boy she had a fling with weeks earlier. As they try to skirt past the awkwardness, they decide to team up and crack the case of their weekly mystery hotel guest; who just might be a local bestselling author's true identity! I was swept up in the sweetness and adventure, even both of their families. ...more
Neonila
If you're looking for a sweet book which will make you cry, but that will make you fall in love with the cutest characters then this is it. It was so wonderfully diverse and heartfelt and I felt for everyone's struggles.

Although it was a cute and entertaining read, I didn't fall completely in love with the book. I'll definitely be checking more of the author though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Famous in a Small Town
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • The Place on Dalhousie
  • Truly Madly Royally
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of several young adult books, including: ALEX, APPROXIMATELY; STARRY EYES; and SERIOUS MOONLIGHT. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, won Romance Writers of America’s RITA® Award, and been included on Publishers Weekly Best Books annual list. She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two dogs. Vis ...more