Start by marking “Voice of Power (The Spoken Mage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Voice of Power (The Spoken Mage, #1)

Voice of Power

(The Spoken Mage #1)

In Elena's world words have power over life and death--but none more so than hers.

As the daughter of shopkeepers, Elena has always known that the mysteries of reading and writing were closed to her. Only the mageborn can risk harnessing the power unleashed from putting pen to paper. Until Elena discovers an impossible new ability and joins the elite ranks of the mages.

But
Published December 26th 2018 by Luminant Publications

To ask other readers questions about Voice of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voice of Power

Start your review of Voice of Power (The Spoken Mage, #1)
RayJay
Jan 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yep. I’m now the jerk that gave my friend’s favorite read a one star.
Elena is common born and the first “spoken mage”, but her real talent is making small problems into big problems and big problems into major crises. Does she learn from her mistakes? Nope. She’s just a lump of teenage angst.
She continuously harps on the woes of the common born, completely unwilling to learn about the noble classes she disparages. “Had I really been that self-absorbed?” (Ch. 25) Yes, Elena. Yes you have.
Then w
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
2nd Time Around - Can't wait to get to the 3rd book in this series!

I absolutely enjoyed this book and couldn't wait to move on to the next one in the series.
Kathy
2.5

This was just ok for me, I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping I would. I had a hard time connecting to Elena, especially as the story progressed. I just didn't care for her all that much, she was arrogant and I don't know, just rubbed me the wrong way. I also felt there were just too many characters, lots of names to remember and what families they belonged to, I found that aspect a little boring. The school setting was nice, but overall boring. I was also expecting more of a romance ele
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I initially thought this was a good book but after thinking on it two days later, I'm going to say it was mediocre. Yes, whatshername is the first spoken mage and its a bit of a novelty but people want to kill her, we don't know who these people are. She was also very prissy and sanctimonious just because she was common-born, her woe me attitude was grating. I was prepared to read the second book but I don't think I can take it.
CourtRocks'
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf-books
1.5 Stars

DNF

Wasn't a fan of the heroine at all, so I couldn't stand being in her head. The dialogue was also cheesy, and actions were cliche. I kept comparing it to other mage books I have read because there was nothing really new here. Someone PLEASE give me a good mage book where I don't want to strangle the heroine 😭
Suzannah
Mar 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: fantasy, rating-pg
Really enjoyed this sweet YA fantasy! Our heroine is Elena, a commoner girl in a world where the written word commands great power...which is limited to the use of a handful of mage families. When Elena manifests the previously unknown power to wield magic with her voice, the rich and powerful mage families in her kingdom pluck her from her small village and send her to the mage academy, while their council debates whether she should be trained and studied to be used as a soldier against their e ...more
Ru4repeat
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Move over Harry Potter

I was initially drawn in by the cover and the premise of the novel, but I was captivated with the story, the characters, and what's going to happen next!
This is a fantastic foray into a new genre. A powerful first book.
I enjoyed reading how certain assumptions and preconceived notions were cast in different lights. The twists kept me guessing and on my toes.
On a steaminess level I would rate this a pleasant PG. The only kiss that did occur was clean, although it felt a bit
Deanie Nelder
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Elena's world, the most dangerous objects around are written words. Words literally have the power to create magical spells, and in the hands of a non-magic-user, could be dangerous enough to destroy an entire village. This is why only the Mage-born elite, who are born with the ability to control magic, are taught to read and write. Elena is a normal teenage shopkeeper's daughter in a small village, until she somehow does magic -- by speaking it aloud. Now, she's the first (and only so far) S ...more
Lexie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yer a Mage Elena!

(I couldn't help the Harry Potter homage all right?l

My feelings for this book are a bit complicated. On the one hand I enjoyed much of the world, the magic, the characters and the premise. I look forward to learning more as well as historical context.

I just did not enjoy Elena's...attitude? Prejudices? Assumptive, narrow minded beliefs? Something like this.

She spends around a year with these people at the academy. Of the dozen regularly mentioned/interacted with students and fac
E Varady
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Has potential

The story is pretty skimmable, especially the first half. It jumps right in and the lack of lead up or basic setting up for plot development is jarring, but also leaves it feeling very shallow. Characters are clunky and rote in the beginning, though they do develop some through the course of the book. I still found myself skimming, especially in scenes where the MC is whining about the fate of the commonborn or how people treat her. It wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't so ignorant. S
Tricia Mingerink
If you were at all hesitating about reading these books because they aren't fairy tales like this author's other books, then don't. These books are JUST as amazing as her other books.

This book has all the fun and voice and charm of this author's other books mashed into the standard magical academy and chosen one tropes, yet even though these tropes are used to their fullest extent, this book doesn't feel stale or rehashed. Maybe because the authority figures in this are torn between embracing h
Jessie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting!

I have loved Melanie Cellier’s fairytale retellings. When she announced that she was trying something different, I was excited about this new series. It did not disappoint. She created a new world where words are magic and only the mage-born are allowed to read and write. The magic and the politics were intriguing. I can’t wait to see where this series goes next!
Josie
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
This book was so good. I loved the world building that was used, because I truly felt as if I was in
Ardann and the language used in the writing just supported the world built. Another thing that I loved was the fact that the female main character was very strong and self-dependent and the romance part of the novel was very subtle only apparent in certain parts. The subtle romance is one of the things that added to the suspense of the book, and the entire time I was on the edge of my seat. Here
Emma
This book reminded me that I DO indeed like fantasy and I’m so happy about that! It isn’t the genre I normally grab but this books synopsis was absolutely intriguing and I’ve heard so many good things about this author that I had to check her out.

And I’m so, so glad I did! It was incredible. The world-building, characters, plot, everything! It was all captivated me.

Ok, normally in fantasy I get lost super quickly. I can’t understand it and I just feel lost and therefore I usually don’t like fa
Tiera McMillian
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb2019
I was very surprised by the start to this series. The concept was incredibly original, entertaining, and profound to me. The first book in this series had me actually contemplating "creation" from an authors standpoint as the characters in this book battle to "compose" their magic. Also, this book really brought reading into a different perspective for me, and made me realize how much I may take for granted the ability to read and even write and the gift it really is.

In this world, just the act
Nancy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
It had a solid start and crashed like a trainwreck.

It has an interesting premise. It sounded very simple at first, but I still decided to give it a try and it was not that bad. I personally liked to read through the protagonist's POV the joy and possibility of reading and gaining knowledge through reading. (Which reader wouldn't?)

Minus Star for lack of depth in world-building
Do you know how to recognise that this is from an English-speaking person? The failure to recognise any other languages
Annette
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Cellier's fairytale series, but I was doubting if this would be my cup of tea. Until I thought about it a little longer and I was like: How can this not be my cup of tea? It's about the power of words, spoken, written and read. It's in a fantasy world with political issues. And there's a royal family and a handsome prince.

And the moment I started this book this morning, it felt like coming home. Cellier's writing style is easy to read and flows nicely. Her stories always have
Abi
This was a really good book! The magic was interesting, and Elena was a great main character. She was strong and defiant, while also being unsure and naive/lacking knowledge. It was fun to watch her grow throughout the book, and gain power and knowledge. She was easy to relate to and fun to get to know.

I thought Lucas was a bit annoying, but that we also don't know him very well at all. I want to get to know him better in the next book, which releases in a couple of weeks.

This book reminded me
Emily
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-favs
This is the 1000th book I have ever read.

I enjoyed it, too. It has a lot of similarities to Harry Potter, since the characters are at a school of magic learning together over the course of a year. The main character is an enigma, a normal person who was born with impossible powers never before seen. So there’s a bit of the “chosen one” theme going there, with some of the drama and danger that comes with high schoolers and magic. A little stereotypical because of all that; however, I really enjoy
Violet Stone
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I have mixed thoughts about this book. The idea is great and I'm going on to read the next book but, Elena was infuriating at times as was Lucas. I felt like, as people, they kept missing each other.

But I must say the relief of Elena not being a prophecy was welcomed. She was a mystery to be solved...an impossible existence.

I'm interested in her story and really hope to see her grow as a character. Maybe learn to mind her tongue and be less self absorbed.

Looking back, not much happened in this
Aishwarya Suresh
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mo
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Spoken Mage 1

This book is slow at times and no answers aren't clearly exhibited by all characters involved. Elena is a so so MC. She's learning the mage world with the help of a few friends. Lucas comes off as an ass, but he's playing a deep game. I will continue with the series hoping it becomes a more cohesive flow of words. 2.75 stars, happy reading!
Liz
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay I guess but too derivative and by the numbers. I read the second book, too, hoping it might pick up, but for me, it didn't. Won't be continuing this series.
Melissa
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one! Light, clean YA fantasy. Interesting magic system. This would be great for younger teens, or anyone who is looking for a light read.
Ash  Grey
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honest Remark: It felt very, very, very, YYYY<>A-ish to me.

Okay, so maybe I should have expected it considering it had a 16-year-old-Female-protagonist. But, I didn't.Do you know the reason? Its Rachel Carter's The Black Mage Complete Series Digital Boxed Set . This has a 15-year old (view spoiler) protagonist and is definitely YA but what is lacks is - a 24x7 self-pitying Female Lead, Fake Will powers- you know the one in which you say 'Yes!, I'll absolutely do
Merie Shen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
If you bothered to see the premise of this book, why are you reading this review? Go get this book! Is the blurb not captivating enough!

Though Ms. Cellier has never strayed from her fairytale-retelling genre before, I'm glad she found the idea for this brilliant new storyworld. I'm ever so glad she formed it into a brand-new series of fantasy books for us to read! I mean, this entire world is built on a foundation of words. Writing magic. That should be enough to lure in any number of writers. A
Jassa
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somewhere– in a world not like our own– are mages who use written words to do magic, but not just anyone could do this magic. For this reason, both reading and writing were banned thanks to the danger of what could happen if someone did not have the right bloodline. I don't know about you, but I was ready! It did not hurt that such a book was written by someone I was already loving.

Elena is a commoner's daughter. Her parents own a shop, her little sister is sickly, and her brother is supposed to
Raquel Evans
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
4 1/2 stars. Toward the beginning, I would have said this was a fun, four-star fantasy story with Harry Potter meetsPrincess Academy vibes.

As the story went on, I got more impressed with the world building and nuances of the story. The essential importance of the power of words, the complexity of the friction and interaction between the classes (nothing that could be solved with one obvious fix), the hints of a romance to hopefully blossom later in the series (without insta-love OR a love triang
Imogen Woodington
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
FREAKING FINALLY!!
A book I can really sink my teeth into. Something unique. Something of substance. Something magical. No cliches found here!

Loved it ! Every word, every page, every character. Some areas were a little confusing but I have a feeling that’s for a reason.

Elena was a breath of fresh air, feisty, but not too much that she’s stupid (which is apparently a thing in books 🙄), and just lovely. Loyal, kind, big hearted.
But also afraid, afraid of what her new power over voice will mean
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is too juvenile for my tastes. I liked the idea of were this book could go, but it just never answered any of the questions the plot presented. It had a Harry Potter academy like feel with the mage houses and politics. I was hoping the plot was taking you somewhere, but it didn’t deliver. I’m really suprised over the high ratings of this book. The only thing I can think of is they are reviews done by teens and perhaps some young adults. There are just too many holes in the story. Becau ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Apprentice of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #1)
  • Curse of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #2)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales, #11)
  • Sea of Starlight (The Riven Kingdoms #2)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
  • Forest of Firelight (The Riven Kingdoms, #1)
  • Queen of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore, #3)
  • Prince of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore, #2)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Royal Magic (The Elves of Lessa, #2)
Melanie Cellier grew up on a staple diet of books, books and more books. And although she got older, she never stopped loving children’s and young adult novels.
 She always wanted to write one herself, but it took three careers and three different continents before she actually managed it.

She now feels incredibly fortunate to spend her time writing from her home in Adelaide, Australia where she

The Spoken Mage (5 books)
  • Voice of Command (The Spoken Mage, #2)
  • Voice of Dominion (The Spoken Mage, #3)
  • Voice of Life (The Spoken Mage, #4)
  • Power of Pen and Voice: A Spoken Mage Companion Novel (The Spoken Mage, #5)