Start by marking “Mistletoe” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe

Mistletoe

Leah Hamilton is looking for a new life following the tragic deaths of her husband and son. Determined to bury her grief in hard work, and desperate to escape Christmas and the pitying looks of her colleagues, she rushes through the purchase of a run-down Yorkshire farmhouse, arriving just as the snow shrouds her new home.

It may look like a Christmas card, but it's soon
Published October 10th 2019 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistletoe

Start your review of Mistletoe
Louise Wilson
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

All Leah wanted to do was escape the events that lead up to Christmas. She had just lost her husband and son. Maitland Farm in Yorkshire is remote and isolated. Its been empty for years. Its run down and needs a lot of work done to make it habitable. No one has ever managed to stay there long. Leah lived in Manchester. She decides to buy the farm and rushes the sale through. The farm used to belong to her ancestors. Cut off by snow, strange things start to happen. She
Joseph
Alison Littlewood’s previous novels, particularly The Hidden People and The Crow Garden, show her mastery of what one could call “neo-Victorian” fiction. Besides successfully evoking the atmosphere of the era, these novels reference the popular genres of the time, particularly the “Gothic” and “sensation” novels of Wilkie Collins and others.

Littlewood’s latest book, Mistletoe, appears at first to be quite a different proposition – an atmospheric ghost story set over the Christmas period in
Kate
A beautifully written and deeply atmospheric and chilly ghost story and timeslip novel. I read it in one day, a rare thing for me, but I could not put it down. Mysterious and sad, disturbing and enchanting. The perfect read for these longer nights. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Maitland Farm is an isolated and remote farm in Yorkshire that has been empty for years and fallen into disrepair. None of the previous occupants of the farm ever lasted very long, nothing would grow in the fields, the orchard doesn’t bear fruit, something feels ‘off’ about the farm and it has passed from owner to owner. After the devastating deaths of her son and her husband, Leah
Natalie
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from netgalley.

This book is a perfect read for a chilly, cold, winter evening.
The characters are likeable and there are secrets to unfold within Leah's time at the house she buys after she looses her son and husband.
This book was more of a time slip thriller with a ghost story within it to me, but I really enjoyed it and wanted to know what would happen next.
The descriptive language used made the book come to life and gave the story a
K B
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review will also be posted on, my Blog (https://kbbookreviews867789450.wordpr...), and on twitter @BookreviewsKb

Mistletoe by Alison Littlewood is a suspenseful winter read with the addition of perfectly entwined Gothic elements.

In Mistletoe we follow the main character, Leah, as she moves to a dilapidated and rundown farm, that was previously owned by her family (ancestors), following the death of her son and her husband. She moves there in the hope that she can renew, rebuild and refresh the
Ioanna
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After the deaths of her husband and son, Leah moves away from her life and to the house that was supposed to house the three of them. The Maitland Farm is supposed to be peaceful and a means for her to leave a more quiet life. Instead, soon she'll start having strange visions. And the farm's past is slowly coming back to life.

Mistletoe had a very interesting description. Unfortunately, the writing style felt to grasp my interest. It was slow, highly descriptive of the main character's thoughts
S. Naomi Scott
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
++ DISCLAIMER – I received an advanced reading copy of this book from the publishers and NetGalley in return for an honest, unbiased review. My thanks to Quercus for allowing me to read and review this book. ++

Following the tragic death of her son and husband, Leah Hamilton buys and moves into a dilapidated Yorkshire farmhouse, her plan being to renovate and sell on the property as a way to work through her grief. Unfortunately, the ghosts of Maitland Farm seem to have other ideas, and soon she
Mark
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Struggling to cope with the tragic loss of her husband and son, Leah moves to Maitland Farm. Her husband found the listing and dreamed of living there and Leah, who shares ancestry with the farm, decides to make it a reality. But as she arrives at the run-down Yorkshire farmhouse, snow shrouds her new home. While it might look like a Christmas card, it’s soon clear it's not just the house that needs renovation: the land is in bad heart, too. As Leah sets to work, she begins to see visions of the ...more
peggy
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A winter ghost story that is set at Christmas. Yes a ghost story but with undertones of creepy and very unsettling. The type of read that has you snuggling under the duvet a little lower and listening for any strange noises. An atmospheric read which in places gave me goosebumps and tapping my kindle faster and faster. A Halloween or Christmas read for anyone who likes to hear things go bump in the night. An easy four stars and recommended.
I would like to thank the author, Quercus Books and
Jen
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.95
A satisfyingly atmospheric, creepy tale perfect for Christmas. A very fast read that flows easily and pulls you in. I found this quite unsettling as my son shares the main characters son's name. This almost put me off at the beginning, tbh, but I continued and sort of fuzzied the name out when I read it. That was a strange coping mechanism that I had to adopt and it detracted a certain amount from the story for me but that was 100% personal and nothing to do with the book/writing.
Heather
Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to finish this, as it was not captivating and I could not stay focused on the story. I also found the ending disappointing.
Amanda
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
A Christmas ghost story for timeslip fans.

Following the loss of her son and husband, Leah Hamilton escapes to a remote Yorkshire farmstead. Cut off by snow strange things start to happen.

Littlewood sets up the premise in the first chapter, with the Who, What and Where (the How and Why come later). She also tantalises with the suspicion of the supernatural. The plot develops at an appropriate pace and all is wrapped up very neatly in the denouement.

The plant folklore was welcome and in keeping
Elle♣
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
*Thank you to the author and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

2 stars

I went into Mistletoe looking for a light, eerie ghost story, not expecting too much. I got a ghost story, but not a very interesting one at that. I didn't click with the author's style of writing, so I found it hard to connect with the characters or care about the storyline. If you're looking for the chill factor, you won't find it here. Overall not a bad book, but not one for me.
David Harris
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm grateful to Quercus for a free advance e-copy of Mistletoe via Netgalley.

'The night was filled with thoughts of mistletoe, dreams of mistletoe, the touch of it on her skin, the grasping tendrils entangling her limbs...'

I've loved Alison Littlewood's books right back to A Cold Season and here she is again at her icy best, telling the story of a woman alone, out among the snows of a Yorkshire winter, as Christmas approaches. (This book would definitely make an atmospheric Christmas read - or
Andrea Tome
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Let me begin by saying that Mistletoe has mastered the perfect Autumn to Winter read: it has the creepy vibes that will make it a fab Autumnal treat and such a perfect Christmassy setting.

Told in an atmospheric and chilling style, Mistletoe follows Leah, a woman who, after losing her husband and young son, moves into a big Yorkshire farm that once belonged to her family. However, not everything is easy for Leah. As she grieves, she will discover her new house hides dark and disturbing
Vivienne
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Quercus Books/Jo Fletcher Books for an eARC via NetGalley of Alison Littlewood’s ‘Mistletoe: A Ghost Story’ in exchange for an honest review.

I was very impressed by Alison Littlewood’s ‘The Hidden People’ so was very excited to be chosen to review her new novel and participate in her blog tour.

Leah Hamilton has recently lost both her husband and son in tragic circumstances. She is desperate to avoid Christmas and all the reminders of her loss. She has quickly purchased a rundown
Ophelia Sings
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I've just finished reading Mistletoe on one of the hottest weekends of the year. I'm somewhat regretting this, for it is definitely a book to be read on a wild December evening in front of a roaring fire as the wind howls outside...

Leah has suffered unimaginable loss. Retreating to her ancestral farmhouse to contemplate her new life, she discovers that her forebears are still very much with her. What unfolds is deliciously creepy, though subtly so; there are no jump-scares or edge-of-seat twists
Micha Sevier
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In an attempt to move on from the tragic deaths of her husband and son, Leah moves to isolated Maitland Farm, hoping it will be the start of a new life. As snow shrouds her new home, visions from the past haunt the farm. Leah must find a way to put the ghosts of the past to rest – both those of the farm and her own.

This is an excellent book. The descriptions of the ever-present snow give the book a strong sense of quiet and calm with a creeping sense of danger, symbolised by the mistletoe of the
Annarella
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s the first book I read by Ms Littlewood and it won’t surely be the last because she’s a very talented writer.
While I was reading I couldn’t help picturing the building, the snow, and feeling what Leah was feeling.
It’s an excellent horror but it’s also a novel about grief and starting again to live.
Leah is a fleshed out and well thought character, a woman who’s grieving and living in a past that it’s not her own. She’s living something that’s out of her experience and she feels part of her
Ellis (whatellisreadnext)
'She felt as if someone was near, someone with a will reaching out to subsume hers, someone who desired, who needed - what? She was not certain, she could only feel their sense of purpose wrapping itself about her, like mistletoe growing around a branch.'
Leah, having recently lost both her son and husband, buys a run down Yorkshire farmhouse in the hopes of moving away and cutting herself off from Christmas. Josh, her husband, always wanted to move to the countryside so she pushes her grief
D L
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A spooky and sometimes charming Ghost story set in the days leading up to Christmas.
Following the death of her husband and young son Leah moves into a farmhouse previously purchased when her family was alive. Intending to renovate the house, Leah begins to notice things are slightly amiss as she hears sounds and voices and sees things out the corner of her eyes.
As the novel progresses the sight and sounds become more real, gradually revealing the dark history of the farm and the resulting death
Tina
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story is about Leah who moves to a remote farmhouse which coincidentally belonged to one of her ancestors. She rushed through the sale to be able to move in before Christmas time. It seems an ideal project to distract her after the deaths of her son and husband. Leah doesn’t want Leah starts seeing strange things around the farm and realises something isn’t right.

I really enjoyed this story. It made me think a
Louise Marley
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I chose this book because I adore ghost stories, particularly Christmas ones, and I loved the sinister-looking cover.

After tragedy strikes, Leah buys the Maitland Farmhouse on a wild impulse. It had belonged to her family decades ago, although she hadn't appreciated how isolated and rundown it is until she moves in and spooky things begin to happen. She can hear voices and children's laughter, catches glimpses of shadowy figures in a mirror, and then finds a sinister old doll...

Alison Littlewood
Louisa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read a book by Alison Littlewood before and enjoyed it, and this book was up to her usual high standard.

The setting, in a cold and snowy Yorkshire farmhouse, and the main subject who is recently bereaved and grieving, are both evocatively described. The atmosphere created in the book is pervasive and creepy.

My only criticism would be that whilst the book quickly gets us into the ghostly atmosphere with its unexplained occurrences, it remains at a similar level of anticipation for most
Heather
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

I loved the sound of this when I read the description. A ghost story set at Christmas is so my kind of thing. This book was unsettling and subtly creepy, the type that makes you want to draw your blanket tighter around you to keep out the cold (and anything that might lurk within it). There's a time-slip element which worked well, and a few twists along the way.

It's a very atmospheric book. I could feel a chill
Lisa Whelan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it

Mistletoe - Alison Littlewood.
Thanks to @quercus for this beautiful finished copy in exchange for this review!

Leah Hamilton is looking for a new life following the tragic deaths of her husband and son. Determined to bury her grief in hard work, she buys a run down Yorkshire Farm. It may look like a Christmas card, but if Leah is to have a future, she must find a way to lay both her own past and the farms to rest – the visions are becoming disturbingly real . . .

A beautifully written, rather
Ginger Pollard
I thought this would be a good scary read between Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I suppose it will be good and scary for some, not this reader. I couldn't connect with the characters and didn't care for the story.
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley. Thanks, Netgalley.
All opinions are my own.
Graham Vingoe
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Alison Littlewood does excellent ghost stories. This is not quite as scary as The Unquiet House( my personal favourite by her but excellent just the same. As many people have said perfect for a ghost-related read in the run up to Christmas.
Priya Sharma
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great winter read. The present and the past sit side by side in an isolated farmhouse as a woman tries to come to terms with her grief and start again, but there's a darker, older story waiting to be told. Alison Littlewood turns up the chill factor and wraps you in a blanket of snow.

• Starve Acre
  • Bone China
  • Ghoster
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Through the Wall
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • The Family
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Wayward Girls
  • The Roommates
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • One by One
  • The Reddening
  • The Almanack
  • The Art of Dying
  • Vampires of Lore: Traits and Modern Misconceptions
Alison Littlewood was raised in Penistone, South Yorkshire, and went on to attend the University of Northumbria at Newcastle (now Northumbria University). Originally she planned to study graphic design, but “missed the words too much” and switched to a joint English and History degree. She followed a career in marketing before developing her love of writing fiction.

Her first book, A Cold Season