Start by marking “The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)

The Name of All Things

(A Chorus of Dragons #2)

You can have everything you want if you sacrifice everything you believe.

Kihrin D'Mon is a wanted man.

Since he destroyed the Stone of Shackles and set demons free across Quur, he has been on the run from the wrath of an entire empire. His attempt to escape brings him into the path of Janel Theranon, a mysterious Joratese woman who claims to know Kihrin.

Janel's plea for
Published October 29th 2019 by Tor Books

Start your review of The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
Petrik
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC & Review Copy provided by my friendTraveling Cloakand the publisherTor UKin exchange for an honest review.

The Name of All Things is vast, complex, and engrossing; a wonderful improvement over its predecessor.

Its quite surreal to think that Jenn Lyons released her debut, The Ruin of Kings, at the beginning of this year and a week from now its sequel, The Name of All Things, will be published to the world as well. Some of you may be familiar with The Ruin of Kings; it was Tors biggest and
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, so it doesnt have all our peeps from the first book but I still loved it!! The third book will have them in it! And that 3rd book cover is amaze balls! I look forward to the continuing story!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
C.G. Drews
I procrastinated starting my review for this because how do you review something so utterly, complexly perfect?!. You DON'T. You just stand aesthetically in the rain to cover up the emotions attacking your face because you have to wait months (AND MONTHS) for the next book. Least to say discovering Jenn Lyons' work has been my favourite part of 2020. Her fantasy is deliciously complicated and the backstory and histories are so deep, but never in an unnecessary way, and the plot twists and ...more
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
I absolutely loved The Ruin of Kings, so to get an early copy into my hands was a gift from the gods. The Name of All Things picks up pretty much directly after The Ruin of Kings, with Kihrin having found himself in Jorat after needing to leave Quur because he maybe, hypothetically, technically killed the Emperor. But it wouldn't be the Chorus of Dragons series if Kihrin caught a break, soon enough he finds himself roped into killing a dragon - among other things.

"If you hear my dying screams,
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

The Name of All things is the second book in the A Chorus of Dragons series following on from the first book, The Ruin of Kings. The Name of All Things features a new main character in Janel Theranon and runs parallel to that of Kihrins story in The Ruin of Kings apart from the final part of the book which moves the present storyline forward.

The Name of All Things starts two days after the
Eric Allen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
"What's that," asked the author. "You absolutely loved the characters from the first book. Yeah. Fuck you. They're not in this one."

"What's that," asked the author again. "You were really into the story of the first book, and couldn't wait to find out what happened next? Well, fuck you twice. This book has nothing to do with anything that happened in the first book, even though, you know, the apocalypse just started and all."

Raise your hand if you HATE when authors do this.

(-_-)/

Okay. So. I'm a
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you very much to Pan Macmillan Australia for providing a review copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

The Name of All Things is the epic sequel to a fantasy book that has already become an all-time favourite of mine. The Ruin of Kings was a stunning and complex novel with badass characters and a phenomenal storyline that kept me gripped to the page. A book such as this would be difficult to top, but Jenn Lyons manages to do just that with The Name of All Things.

While The Ruin
Freya Marske
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
For my money, this is even better than the first book in the series. It's smoother and faster, with a much more straightforward narrative, and it contains all the things I loved best about book 1 (snark! dragons! footnotes! more snark!) plus: incredible action scenes, the badass horse-girl protagonist of my heart, some AMAZINGLY compelling villains, and the burgeoning spark of a three-way romantic tangle in which I am now deeply invested.

(Read in ARC form because I'm lucky and I know Jenn well
Amy Imogene Reads
Aug 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
The book gods heard my confused yet impressed rage and clearly wanted to put me out of my miseryI have an ARC! The Ruin of Kings (book 1) absolutely wrecked me as a reader. I couldnt forget it. It was infuriatingly obtuse, clever, and convolutedand yet I loved it. I am SO interested in what will happen in this one.

Thank you to TOR for sending me an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.

Bob
When I read The Ruin of Kings back in March I called it the best epic fantasy I have read in ages, a complex story that was so much more than the sum of its parts. The only book to have challenged it (so far, at least) for years best is The Priory of the Orange Tree, but thats a serious toss-up. My first thought upon finishing the final chapter is that The Name of All Things isnt quite in the same category as either of those books, but its good . . . and as sequels go, its really good.

Lizy
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I requested this ARC directly from Tor on the first day I saw it was available through Edelweiss (I just wanted a hard copy so I didn't get it directly through Edelweiss). A ridiculously huge thank you to the publisher & the author. I am fully aware that I am probably the first person to finish this book who isn't a personal friend of Jenn Lyons or an employee at Tor--at the very least I am the first person to write a written review and I would never, ever forgive myself for spoiling a ...more
Ashley
Was this better than the first book? Yes. Was it still a little overly complicated? Yes. Was I still confused about what was actually going on below the main surface story? Yes. Will I continue to read this series? Yes.

This book did not go where I thought it was going to. I had assumed we would continue on with our main character, Kihrin, but instead, this book focuses on Janel ((view spoiler)
Kayla
Oct 19, 2019 marked it as owned-to-read
If you wondered what my reading plans are after finishing Oathbringer it's reading book one of this series so I can get to the ARC before release day

Thank you so much to Tor for providing me with this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Marta Cox
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Have you ever wished you could save the world ? Well Kihrin almost destroyed his when he released not just slaves but Demons as well. This is the second book in this series and as it follows Kihrin on his journey we learn about others who have a vested interest in Kihrin and a rather special blade he carries. Janel has been waiting for Kihrin but she's a woman of secrets and surprises. Let's be honest here Janel is awesome ok she's not perfect but I'd certainly buy her a pint ! I'm not entirely ...more
I received a copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Dun, dun, dun

After the ending of Ruin of Kings, I was eagerly anticipating the sequel, and The Name of All Things did not disappoint! This picks up three days after the events of Ruin of Kings though it relays the same timeline as Kihrin told Talon from a different perspective, Janel and Qown, and in a different part of the world. I loved that
TheMilkMaid
....i loved loved loved book 1 and i came for kihrin....this book was not about kihrin it was about janel. janel is so-so, her story however was mindnumbingly boring. no one is more upset about this low rating than me, trust me. this series was going to be one of my favourites. maybe less janel next time? maybe.
Anil
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry I couldn't rate it -52 stars. :|

This is a book a book written for leftist idiotic proganda of sex and gender, really jenn? If I ever wanted myself to educate about these subjects the last thing I would choose to read is a fantasy book. This book and the the book "On the Shoulders of Titans" by Andrew Rowe are proofs that the left has no ground narrative to build it's politics on, this is why they want to propagate this idiocy in youngsters and ignorants who don't read anything other
David H.
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This ended up being a deeply engaging book, just as the first one was. Once I started I kept wanting to read more and more of it--for the mystery, for the characters, for the cool stuff that was going on. Lyons was able to keep the footnoted-multi-narrative style going, though perhaps in a way that will be less confusing for people than the last one (I was fine with how The Ruin of Kings was done, however), but this isn't really Kihrin's book, but Janel's, and it was interesting seeing from ...more
Marlene
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

This is going to be one of those times when I talk around the book as much as I talk about the book. Because this is one hell of a story one that is still rolling around uneasily in my head and its not done yet. Either the story or in my head.

And Ill probably say this multiple times in the course of this review, but I want the third book in the trilogy, The Memory of Souls, now. RIGHT NOW. Its due out in August and thats just not soon enough. Not nearly.

CR
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know your thinking you didn't care for the first book why did you read the second. Well I have to say that although I didn't really care that much for the first book I was kind of invested to see where it was going. I have to say that I am happy that I did. Where book one was very confusing on how it was written you could see how far this author has gone for this title. I loved it!! I still think that this series needs to get a little better but this was SO much better than book one. I won't ...more
Nick
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This second installment of the A Chorus of Dragons series is even better than the initial volume. The story really clicks between the two leading lights of this book, a love story set amidst the death, mayhem, and dragon-induced chaos we have come to expect from the first in the series. That, and a whole lot of back story. In fact, this book is told as a set of interlocking tales that don't bring us up to the present moment until the volume is almost complete. But by now I've come to accept that ...more
Kevin Potter
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After The Ruin of Kings I knew to expect something amazingly epic from this book, what I wasn't certain of is how it would be structured.

It's no secret that the first book does some really interesting things with structure and point of view. I'm both pleased and surprised to see that this one is both similarly structured and also largely occurs prior or simultaneous to the first book.

Once again, we have three separate narrators for the audiobook, which actually works really well with how the
Mridupawan  Podder
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, wtf just happened!

And Jenn, if you read this, you need to dedicate at least 50 pages worth of recap?

Why? Because you're letting us deal with humans, witches, vampires, wizards, emperors, god kings, gods, dragons. Wtf!

That being said, what a ride this has been. Am so glad this isn't just Kihrin's story anymore. And I want this epic to go on and on. I'm not going to put spoilers in here and there's no way I'd do enough justice in a review like this. Just know that if you're fan of
jonathan finn
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big step up..

This is book 2 of chorus of dragons do not attempt to read this without reading book one I did and I have a fairly good memory when it comes to remembering plots and story points ext and I was still completely lost for the first 60 pages or so.
Like the first book this is set in a high fantasy world where 12 royal families function like quasi corporations under the emperor, an ancient prophecy about a hell warrior is starting to come to fruition and a ancient evil is on the verge
Ives Phillips
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Do you love horses? Then you'll love this book!

Seriously, I had to DNF this book halfway through. Maybe it's because I was too stressed over NaNoWriMo and other, more pressing matters in my life, but I couldn't pick up this book with the glee that I usually feel about epics. I thought that the story would be more interesting, but it just slagged along. I may have to pick this up again when my mind isn't all over the place and reading this didn't feel like a chore.
Timothy Glaser
Dec 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF.

This sequel did not at all follow the story or characters of the first book. That's the first thing you should know before starting.

Second thing you should know is that the story being told is boring. I found it hard to care about what is happening during the 'telling' of these misadventures.

I especially disliked how one of the characters retells his story by reading from his chronicles and so is constantly referring to himself in the third person.

I absolutely **hate** the constant
Jordan Shiveley
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
So I finished reading The Name of All Things (sequel to Ruin of Kings) in the wee hours of this morning and what a wild ride! Fanged horses, hellmarches, dead gods who wont stay dead, FOOTNOTES, and dragons...like a LOT OF DRAGONS.

With NoAT Lyons has managed to do the multiple narrators taking turns around a table technique more smoothly than Ive ever read before. One narrators tale winds perfectly into the next and their distinct personalities perfectly match the aspect of the story
they are
Abi Walton
I adored The Ruin of Kings and fell hard for Kihirin and Teraeth. So I couldn't wait to get my hands on The Name of all Things. This sequel picks up almost immediately after the Ruin of Kings finishes, but does Kihirin get a break? Hell no. He is back meeting Janel and fighting dragons.

Though all our favourite characters make an appearance The Name of All Things is primarily Janel's book which I would have been disappointed with if I hadn't fallen in love with her almost immediately (kind of
Mere
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember loving the first book, but it had been some time since I'd read it, and I was worried going into this one that I would be lost. Thankfully, some kind soul did a quick rundown in the beginning of the book about what happened in The Ruin of Kings. That helped, although a character sheet showing how everyone is related would be nice too...

The Writing
Can we talk about Lyons's writing for a moment? Because I want to say that I enjoyed it very much. This writing was so well done, and it
Zeke Gonzalez
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this book slowly and relish it, but then I gulped it down over a long flight. I kept meaning to take a break, but I just couldnt stop!

Much like its predecessor, The Name of All Things has a unique narrative: the story is told to the protagonist of the previous book & annotated by an established villain, which is a brilliant flip of perspective that adds dramatic irony & introduces doubt to the hero-villain dichotomy. Once more, Lyons builds a fantastic (& incredibly
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Throne of the Five Winds (Hostage of Empire, #1)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • The Bard's Blade (The Sorcerer's Song, #1)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Upon the Flight of the Queen (The Ring-Sworn Trilogy, #2)
Jenn Lyons lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, three cats, and a lot of opinions on anything from the Sumerian creation myths to the correct way to make a martini. At various points in her life, she has wanted to be an archaeologist, anthropologist, architect, diamond cutter, fashion illustrator, graphic designer, or Batman. Turning from such obvious trades, she is now a video game ...more

A Chorus of Dragons (3 books)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons #1)
  • The Memory of Souls (A Chorus of Dragons, #3)