Start by marking “The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)

The Name of All Things

(A Chorus of Dragons #2)

You can have everything you want if you sacrifice everything you believe.

Kihrin D'Mon is a wanted man.

Since he destroyed the Stone of Shackles and set demons free across Quur, he has been on the run from the wrath of an entire empire. His attempt to escape brings him into the path of Janel Theranon, a mysterious Joratese woman who claims to know Kihrin.

Janel's plea for
Published October 29th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Name of All Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Name of All Things

Start your review of The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
Petrik
ARC & Review Copy provided by my friend—Traveling Cloak—and the publisher—Tor UK—in exchange for an honest review.

The Name of All Things is vast, complex, and engrossing; a wonderful improvement over its predecessor.

It’s quite surreal to think that Jenn Lyons released her debut, The Ruin of Kings, at the beginning of this year and a week from now its sequel, The Name of All Things, will be published to the world as well. Some of you may be familiar with The Ruin of Kings; it was Tor’s
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, so it doesn’t have all our peeps from the first book but I still loved it!! The third book will have them in it! And that 3rd book cover is amaze balls! I look forward to the continuing story!

Mel
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
I absolutely loved The Ruin of Kings, so to get an early copy into my hands was a gift from the gods. The Name of All Things picks up pretty much directly after The Ruin of Kings, with Kihrin having found himself in Jorat after needing to leave Quur because he maybe, hypothetically, technically killed the Emperor. But it wouldn't be the Chorus of Dragons series if Kihrin caught a break, soon enough he finds himself roped into killing a dragon - among other things.

"If you hear my dying screams,
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

The Name of All things is the second book in the A Chorus of Dragons series following on from the first book, The Ruin of Kings. The Name of All Things features a new main character in Janel Theranon and runs parallel to that of Kihrin’s story in The Ruin of Kings apart from the final part of the book which moves the present storyline forward.

The Name of All Things starts two days after the
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you very much to Pan Macmillan Australia for providing a review copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

The Name of All Things is the epic sequel to a fantasy book that has already become an all-time favourite of mine. The Ruin of Kings was a stunning and complex novel with badass characters and a phenomenal storyline that kept me gripped to the page. A book such as this would be difficult to top, but Jenn Lyons manages to do just that with The Name of All Things.

While The Ruin
Eric Allen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
"What's that," asked the author. "You absolutely loved the characters from the first book. Yeah. Fuck you. They're not in this one."

"What's that," asked the author again. "You were really into the story of the first book, and couldn't wait to find out what happened next? Well, fuck you twice. This book has nothing to do with anything that happened in the first book, even though, you know, the apocalypse just started and all."

Raise your hand if you HATE when authors do this.

(-_-)/

Okay. So. I'm a
Freya Marske
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
For my money, this is even better than the first book in the series. It's smoother and faster, with a much more straightforward narrative, and it contains all the things I loved best about book 1 (snark! dragons! footnotes! more snark!) plus: incredible action scenes, the badass horse-girl protagonist of my heart, some AMAZINGLY compelling villains, and the burgeoning spark of a three-way romantic tangle in which I am now deeply invested.

(Read in ARC form because I'm lucky and I know Jenn well
Amy Imogene Reads
Aug 31, 2019 is currently reading it
The book gods heard my confused yet impressed rage and clearly wanted to put me out of my misery—I have an ARC! The Ruin of Kings (book 1) absolutely wrecked me as a reader. I couldn’t forget it. It was infuriatingly obtuse, clever, and convoluted—and yet I loved it. I am SO interested in what will happen in this one.

Thank you to TOR for sending me an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.

Bob
When I read The Ruin of Kings back in March I called it the best epic fantasy I have read in ages, a complex story that was so much more than the sum of its parts. The only book to have challenged it (so far, at least) for year’s best is The Priory of the Orange Tree, but that’s a serious toss-up. My first thought upon finishing the final chapter is that The Name of All Things isn’t quite in the same category as either of those books, but it’s good . . . and as sequels go, it’s really good.

Marta Cox
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Have you ever wished you could save the world ? Well Kihrin almost destroyed his when he released not just slaves but Demons as well. This is the second book in this series and as it follows Kihrin on his journey we learn about others who have a vested interest in Kihrin and a rather special blade he carries. Janel has been waiting for Kihrin but she's a woman of secrets and surprises. Let's be honest here Janel is awesome ok she's not perfect but I'd certainly buy her a pint ! I'm not entirely ...more
Kayla
Oct 19, 2019 marked it as owned-to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases, arc
If you wondered what my reading plans are after finishing Oathbringer it's reading book one of this series so I can get to the ARC before release day

Thank you so much to Tor for providing me with this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Lizy
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I requested this ARC directly from Tor on the first day I saw it was available through Edelweiss (I just wanted a hard copy so I didn't get it directly through Edelweiss). A ridiculously huge thank you to the publisher & the author. I am fully aware that I am probably the first person to finish this book who isn't a personal friend of Jenn Lyons or an employee at Tor--at the very least I am the first person to write a written review and I would never, ever forgive myself for spoiling a ...more
TheMilkMaid
....i loved loved loved book 1 and i came for kihrin....this book was not about kihrin it was about janel. janel is so-so, her story however was mindnumbingly boring. no one is more upset about this low rating than me, trust me. this series was going to be one of my favourites. maybe less janel next time? maybe.
I received a copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Dun, dun, dun…

After the ending of Ruin of Kings, I was eagerly anticipating the sequel, and The Name of All Things did not disappoint! This picks up three days after the events of Ruin of Kings though it relays the same timeline as Kihrin told Talon from a different perspective, Janel and Qown, and in a different part of the world. I loved that
David H.
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This ended up being a deeply engaging book, just as the first one was. Once I started I kept wanting to read more and more of it--for the mystery, for the characters, for the cool stuff that was going on. Lyons was able to keep the footnoted-multi-narrative style going, though perhaps in a way that will be less confusing for people than the last one (I was fine with how The Ruin of Kings was done, however), but this isn't really Kihrin's book, but Janel's, and it was interesting seeing from ...more
CR
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I know your thinking you didn't care for the first book why did you read the second. Well I have to say that although I didn't really care that much for the first book I was kind of invested to see where it was going. I have to say that I am happy that I did. Where book one was very confusing on how it was written you could see how far this author has gone for this title. I loved it!! I still think that this series needs to get a little better but this was SO much better than book one. I won't ...more
Kevin Potter
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After The Ruin of Kings I knew to expect something amazingly epic from this book, what I wasn't certain of is how it would be structured.

It's no secret that the first book does some really interesting things with structure and point of view. I'm both pleased and surprised to see that this one is both similarly structured and also largely occurs prior or simultaneous to the first book.

Once again, we have three separate narrators for the audiobook, which actually works really well with how the
Shannon
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
More like a 3.5, but I have mixed feelings about this one. At times, I was quite frustrated with it, and at other times I was truly engrossed.

Anyway, what I liked:
(1) Janel is a great character with an interesting backstory and a pretty good arc in this. I found her to be a bit boring in the second half of the novel. Normally I love it when characters start to learn magic, but it felt flat in this part. No sense of wonder, just the geished Witch-Queen being quirkily maniacal.
(2) I liked the
jonathan finn
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big step up..

This is book 2 of chorus of dragons do not attempt to read this without reading book one I did and I have a fairly good memory when it comes to remembering plots and story points ext and I was still completely lost for the first 60 pages or so.
Like the first book this is set in a high fantasy world where 12 royal families function like quasi corporations under the emperor, an ancient prophecy about a hell warrior is starting to come to fruition and a ancient evil is on the verge
Abi Walton
I adored The Ruin of Kings and fell hard for Kihirin and Teraeth. So I couldn't wait to get my hands on The Name of all Things. This sequel picks up almost immediately after the Ruin of Kings finishes, but does Kihirin get a break? Hell no. He is back meeting Janel and fighting dragons.

Though all our favourite characters make an appearance The Name of All Things is primarily Janel's book which I would have been disappointed with if I hadn't fallen in love with her almost immediately (kind of
Jordan Shiveley
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
So I finished reading The Name of All Things (sequel to Ruin of Kings) in the wee hours of this morning and what a wild ride! Fanged horses, hellmarches, dead gods who won’t stay dead, FOOTNOTES, and dragons...like a LOT OF DRAGONS.

With NoAT Lyons has managed to do the multiple narrators taking turns around a table technique more smoothly than I’ve ever read before. One narrator’s tale winds perfectly into the next and their distinct personalities perfectly match the aspect of the story
they are
Mridupawan  Podder
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, wtf just happened!

And Jenn, if you read this, you need to dedicate at least 50 pages worth of recap?

Why? Because you're letting us deal with humans, witches, vampires, wizards, emperors, god kings, gods, dragons. Wtf!

That being said, what a ride this has been. Am so glad this isn't just Kihrin's story anymore. And I want this epic to go on and on. I'm not going to put spoilers in here and there's no way I'd do enough justice in a review like this. Just know that if you're fan of
Scott Lancet
main character is unlikeable and whiney. Book had potential, but it lacks any subtly that make books like game of thrones, name of the wind, etc great.

Very disappointed, as I thought the book would be really good after reading the first few pages. I finished the book because I was half way through when I realized how much I did not like it, but I wanted to give it every chance possible as I am in desperate need of a good new series to read. Sadly, this was not it.

Ives Phillips
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Do you love horses? Then you'll love this book!

Seriously, I had to DNF this book halfway through. Maybe it's because I was too stressed over NaNoWriMo and other, more pressing matters in my life, but I couldn't pick up this book with the glee that I usually feel about epics. I thought that the story would be more interesting, but it just slagged along. I may have to pick this up again when my mind isn't all over the place and reading this didn't feel like a chore.
Kim
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read and definitely worth picking up. Not quite as good as book 1 (which I loved), perhaps because I prefer Kihrin as the POV character and maybe also because I feel like very little went right in this book, which was frustrating. Janel's story stagnated a bit when she was stuck in Yor. It was a lot more fun when she was riding around with outlaws and their antics.
Ramona Wray
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, awesome-reads
Yup, still as good, if not better than the first. Some interesting new characters, not to mention the Ice Kingdom setting... Really imaginative and vibrant. Looking forward to the next installment.
SteffyJay (Little Booky Nook)
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 5-stars
This book was fucking epic. Holy shit, I fucking loved this book.
Traveling Cloak
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*****Note - This review is based on an uncorrected advance copy provided to me by the publisher for an honest review.*****

Two days ago Khirin D'mon killed Gadrith the Twisted with the sword Urthaenriel ("The Ruin of Kings") and ended the demon Hellmarch on Quur, led by demon demi-god Xaltaroth. Now Khirin sits in a pub, where has been led to meet with Janel and her crew, listening to their side of the story. It turns out while Khirin was was facing down his destiny, Janel et al were on an
Shane O'Neal
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The description of this book threw me off a bit. I expected Janel to be a large focus...as well as Khirin. That wasn't the case.

Nope.

If this book had been pitched as a Janel story, one that told her side of things in parallel with much of Khirin's POV in the first book, then it would have been very good. It spent 85-90% of the book rehashing what Janel was doing during Khirin's adventures in Ruin of Kings. Janel is a headstrong, fearless characters who I loved. I just expected, based on the
Caitlin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Note: I was provided an ARC of this book by the publisher in return for a fair and honest review.

Kihrin D'Mon is on the run. Two days ago, a harrowing set of events unintentionally released demons across the continent to do as they please. Now Kihrin is hoping to find Janel, a woman he met while traveling through the Afterlife. He finds Janel and her traveling companion, Brother Qown at an Inn, and not only are they waiting for him, they have need of his help - there's a dragon about to attack
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • Crownbreaker (Spellslinger, #6)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • God of Broken Things
  • A Pilgrimage of Swords
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Dragonslayer
  • The Perfect Assassin (Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
Jenn Lyons lives in Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, three cats, and a lot of opinions on anything from the Sumerian creation myths to the correct way to make a martini. At various points in her life, she has wanted to be an archaeologist, anthropologist, architect, diamond cutter, fashion illustrator, graphic designer, or Batman. Turning from such obvious trades, she is now a video game ...more

A Chorus of Dragons (3 books)
  • The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)
  • The Memory of Souls (A Chorus of Dragons, #3)