Start by marking “The Thief Knot (Greenglass House #4)” as Want to Read:
The Thief Knot (Greenglass House #4)

The Thief Knot

(Greenglass House #4)

Ghosts, a kidnapping, a crew of young detectives, and family secrets mix in this new standalone mystery set in the world of the best-selling Greenglass House, from a National Book Award nominee and Edgar Award–winning author.

Marzana and her best friend are bored. Even though they live in a notorious city where normal rules do not apply, nothing interesting ever happens to
Published January 14th 2020 by Clarion Books

Start your review of The Thief Knot (Greenglass House #4)
Abigail
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Greenglass House / Young Readers Who Enjoy Magical Mystery Stories
Author Kate Milford, the creator of the marvelous Greenglass House and Ghosts of Greenglass House , returns to the fictional city-state of Nagspeake in this companion volume, due out this coming January. Set in the Liberty of Gammerbund, the city within a city which gives refuge to many of Nagspeake's smugglers and thieves, it follows the story of Marzana Hakelbarend, who appeared as a character in Ghosts of Greenglass House . Desperately wanting to know more about her mother, who was once ...more
Abi Hixson
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haven’t read this yet BUT I AM SO READY. One of my life goals is to read every book that Kate Milford writes because her world is so vivid and her characters are so relatable. I’m so excited to learn more about Marzana and the Liberty!
Kidlitter
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A DRC was provided by Edelweiss for a fair and honest review.

Another puzzle box of a Greenglass book is a reason to cheer for every children's librarian. Smart, literate, entertaining and the opposite of condescending, Milford continues to mine her gold strike of a series for children and their clever adults. We are on the other side of Nagspeake in this tale, running after Marzana and her newly formed club of puzzle solving kid geniuses trying to find a kidnapped girl. The publisher has
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't read the previous Greenglass books, it's ok - this is almost a standalone. There's wordplay, adventure, some mystery and a bookstore as a headquarters for the Thief Knot (the name that Marzana gives her group of crime solvers). Mars' social anxiety is so well depicted that readers who sometimes feel equally awkward will realize that they're not so strange after all. There's also a good description of friendships that drift apart, and how that can make the one left behind feel. I ...more
Cat
I wasn’t sure if I would like this one as much when I realized it was more of a companion novel to the original, but I love mysteries and puzzles so it hooked me. Also learning more about the underground and liberty was awesome.
Charlotte
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, rc20
a delightfully twisty mystery solved by a crew of kids I'd like to be friends with, set in a fantastical city of secrets and wildly improbably infrastructure, with one bit that made me laugh out loud heartily (the balloon and the backpack bit), and other bits that made me want to hug my own kids....
Alyson Kent
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantastic new addition to the Greenglass House series. I hope we get to see more of Mars and her Knot in future novels.

Thank you, Netgalley, for the ARC.
Ms. Yingling
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC Provided by Edelweiss Plus

I loved the first book, but it doesn't circulate well. This seemed almost unrelated to that book, so I will pass. Isn't the cover gorgeous, though?
Rachel
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review*

The Thief Knot is the perfect combination of Nancy Drew and Scooby-Doo (minus the actual Scooby-Doo). It perfectly balances the serious and humorous elements of the story. I love that it emphasizes the importance of teamwork - no one character could have solved the mystery and they relied on one another's talents and knowledge to save the day. I also appreciated that the adults were not made out to be
Ava Thompson
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
How do you find a place crazier than Nagspeake, the smuggler's town half-controlled by the tyrannical Deacon & Morvengarde company, where mysteries unravel and ghosts appear and the first three Greenglass House books contained? You enter the core of Nagspeake-- the place where everyone who had a shady past or wants a shady future resides, where names are hidden and occupations aren't shared. The Liberty of Gammerbund.

Marzana Hakelbarend, however, doesn't find the Liberty that exciting, and
Lua
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Okay, so first things first: I LOVE the Greenglass House books. I think Kate Milford is a wonderful author in so many ways, a lot of which come out in this one.

There are two things I think Milford excels at. The first is diverse characters, by which I don’t just mean that there are characters from many different racial and ethnic backgrounds that are portrayed in a sensitive way that doesn’t feel token (there are). What is really exceptional is that she is great at depicting a lot of different
Jill
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set within the fictional town of Nagspeake, The Thief Knot, is part mystery, part adventure. A group of oddly matched kids, pit their wits against a kidnapper. While not the first book in the Greenglass House series, readers can fully enjoy the story without having read the previous books (I recommend them, but don't miss out on this delightful book if the others are not readily at hand).

Nagspeake itself is a town of mystery; inhabitants have psuedonyms to hide their identities (and possibly
Sara D
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Thief Knot is great fun by Kate Milford. This is the fourth in the Greenglass House series, but having not read the previous books, I can say with complete confidence that this is a stand alone tale. However, having said that, I now want to go back and meet the characters in the years leading up to The Thief Knot. The story follows a group of students longing for adventure, who find it in chasing clues to a potentially dangerous criminal case. Friendships, acceptance, humor, magic and the ...more
Pam
I received an electronic ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group through NetGalley.
This 4th book in the Greenglass House series begins painfully slowly. Milford takes too long establishing all of the new characters before introducing any action to the book. Eliminating a third of the opening chapters information would help readers engage faster.
The group of children connect to solve a kidnapping and have to learn to trust each other and their own strengths and weaknesses. They
Auryn Maxwell
Alicia
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

The latest book in Milford's Greenglass House universe features a great mix of old and new characters (but works fine as a standalone, since I don’t remember all of them very well). Two girls live in the MOST boring town—because it’s a sanctuary for retired ne'er-do-wells—so of course when they hear about a kidnapping, they decide to investigate, and put a crew together. This makes it sound like a silly romp but Milford and her characters take all this
Sharon Lawler
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Marzana Hakelbarend and her best friend Nialla Giddis live in the town of Liberty of Gammerbund, and according to them, it is a place where nothing happens. This changes when an girl is kidnapped, and Marzana's parents are asked to help solve the crime. Marzana and her friends join the mystery by searching secret corridors that change, which complicates the search for the identity and location of abductors. Obvious fantasy with paranormal, mystery with humor, and puzzles at every turn, will make ...more
Kristin
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly fantastic. Milford takes the reader back to the world of Nagspeake that she so artfully created in Greenglass House and adds even more layers and rich details. The Thief Knot is, at its heart, an excellently-told, perfectly-plotted mystery.

The Thief Knot does refer back to events in Greenglass House and Ghosts of Greenglass House. While readers don't need to have read the first two books, they might appreciate knowing the references and recognizing characters. (I'd read
Carol M
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, read-2019
Set on the Liberty side of Nagspeake, Marzana and her best friend are looking for adventure. When Marzana’s parents are asked by the authorities to look for a kidnapped girl, Marzana realizes she has insights into the crime that the adults are ignoring. Soon she organizes a team of kids with unique talents to search the mysterious underbelly for the missing girl. This book is full of atmosphere, adventure and teamwork. It’s a great read for a rainy day.
The publisher advertises this as a
Jaymie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
[I received an electronic review copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.]

4.5 stars. So fun! I didn't realize this was part of a series/larger world, but it stands well on its own. Terrific characters - they really made this special. I don't know that I would go back and read the other Greenglass House books (more as a matter of time than level of interest), but I would absolutely read more Thief Knot books!

Mystery/heist type story with a
Angie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't express how excited I was for another Greenglass House book. Kate Milford writes such smart stories. She does not dumb things down just because she is writing for children. These books are clever and make the reader think. Not everything is solved (like the tea room!) which I love. It gives me hope that future books will delve into those mysteries.

This story takes place in Nagspeake and stars Marzana who we met in Ghosts of Greenglass House. Marzana overhears her parents talking about a
Polly
Got an ARC from a friend (from whose hands I snatched it). It's very twisty and eccentric and wonderful, like all Kate Milford's writing. I did find the first third a touch slow, but once you're past that it's awesome. I would suggest reading the first two Greenglass House books first, but it's not vital, just helps fill out some of the details if you know the characters from the first two already.
CEB Library
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how the author continues to combine characters from multiple story lines into new, stand alone novels. Many of these characters were introduced in The Ghosts of Greenglass House. This tale takes them on another adventure, exploring the intricacies of a nearby walled city and it's tied to the larger town "Down Hill". Excellent read. Can't wait for more. I may actually just go read them all again.
John
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A crew of young folk (plus a ghost, maybe two), most with secretive parents or secret back stories and all with distinctive abilities, get together to investigate a kidnapping that the grown ups are also looking into. Lots of Nagspeake in this one, and that’s always a good thing. Lots of fretting and talking things out too, and if that’s not so terrific the author is a good enough storyteller to carry it off.
Lianne
Jul 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A standalone mystery? Maybe my problem with finding this book interesting is that I have not read the previous books in this series. Even though the novel has the ingredients to make it engaging (mystery, action, romance and danger) it is boring. The characters are not developed enough to create relationships with the reader and the plot is bogged down with excessive descriptions of the setting. I would not recommend this book at this point in its development.
Rena
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars. A children’s book that is not really for kids. The vocabulary exceeds most Middle Grade readers and the description can be overwhelming at times. One can lose sight of the plot by getting diverted by description. The main characters seemed far too smart for the average preteen. Finally, what is with the weird names of many of the characters in the book? Despite this criticism, I found this to be a well written book which I enjoyed very much.
Lacee
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled with this peek into the Liberty and with Marzana as a main character. We get all the fun of a heist while following Marzana as she learns to be a leader, despite her introversion. As someone who is an introvert herself I appreciate the layering and authenticity of such characters. As usual, the Nagaspeke-ish world was a super fun place to visit and I loved getting to see more of Violet Cross!
Leonard Kim
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I agree with those saying this is best-appreciated by fans, though I think the mystery-solving parts would be enjoyable to all. This could be a spoiler, so read the next sentences at your peril. Like the Quester's Crossroads books that Nialla likes so much, this same book, The Thief Knot, could have told a completely different story. And I wasn't expecting that story to obliquely remind me of Anderson's Finding Orion and move me in the same way that book did.
Yapha
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one started out a little slow, perhaps because I read Greenglass House so long ago and didn't read the second or third. By about halfway through the book though, it became impossible to put down! While it does have some fantasy elements, it is a hardcore mystery with some great twists and shocking reveals. I think it was help to have read the first to understand the world. (And I may go back and read #2 & #3 now.) Highly recommended for grades 4 & up.

ARC provided by publisher
Leah
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This takes place in a different town to the previous books in the series. It features old and new characters. The story focuses on mystery, but there is also some magic and adventure. There is a happy ending, but not everything is explained in the end. The twists and new locations make the story interesting and exciting, which helps with a longer book.

• Hex Wives
  • Rebel (The Extinction Trials, #3)
  • The Willoughbys
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic, #3)
  • Riot Baby
  • Strange Grace
  • The Starless Sea
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Lovely War
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • The Winterhouse Mysteries (Winterhouse, #3)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • Born to Fly: The First Women's Air Race Across America
  • Words on Fire
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Saving Savannah
Kate is the author of THE BONESHAKER, THE BROKEN LANDS, GREENGLASS HOUSE, and the forthcoming THE LEFT-HANDED FATE (Fall 2015). She is also the author of the self-published Arcana Project series. The first two volumes, THE KAIROS MECHANISM and BLUECROWNE, can be purchased for e-readers at all the usual outlets and in paperback from www.clockworkfoundry.com or www.mcnallyjackson.com. The third ...more

Greenglass House (4 books)
  • Greenglass House (Greenglass House #1)
  • Ghosts of Greenglass House (Greenglass House #2)
  • Bluecrowne (Greenglass House, #3)