Start by marking “Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope” as Want to Read:
Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope

Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope

When Karamo Brown first auditioned for the casting directors of Netflix’s Queer Eye, he knew he wouldn’t win the role of culture expert by discussing art and theater. Instead he decided to redefine what ‘culture’ could — and should — mean for the show. He took a risk and declared, ‘I am culture.’

Karamo believes that culture is so much more than art museums and the ballet
Published March 5th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Karamo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Karamo

Brandice
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I heard Karamo Brown had a book coming out, I knew it was only a matter of time before I’d read it. Since I first watched the Netflix reboot of Queer Eye last year, I’ve been a huge fan of him, the show’s resident culture expert. Culture goes far beyond the arts, music, and hobbies, and Karamo helps reinforce this by digging deep into the emotions of each of the heroes on the show.

Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope is a memoir. Karamo details his childhood, adolescent
Sahitya
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap, non-fiction
TW: domestic abuse, addiction, depression, suicide

I loved reading Tan’s memoir Naturally Tan just a couple of weeks ago but I had completely forgotten that Karamo’s memoir was already out until I saw his interview with Trevor Noah. And I think I did the perfect thing deciding to listen to the audiobook because this was a wonderful experience.

As the title suggests, this book is Karamo’s story of personal growth, healing and hope. It’s not told in a clearly chronological manner but each chapter d
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: intimate partner violence, drug use, and suicide

This book has been on my radar forever. Why? Because I love Queer Eye, a show I never expected to love in the first place — but, that’s a story for another time. And, I’ll say it, Karamo never exactly stood out to me. I really liked him, but he never stood out to me. At least, not until the second season. Then, damn. He was making me cry every fucking episode because he was just so amazing. (Personally,
Kelly
Such a fantastic memoir, whether or not you're a Queer Eye fan. Karamo shares his life story, beginning with a loving family that eventually breaks apart due to addiction and abuse. He's not afraid to talk about his own experiences, too, with drugs and alcohol and how he earned a reputation as "crazy" while on MTV's THE REAL WORLD (which wasn't his last stint with reality TV before Queer Eye). I was especially moved with the story of how he learned he was a father, and how he took that responsib ...more
Ginny Beck
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It basically reads like a big long entertainment magazine profile piece (it literally ends with a pitch for his new podcast, lol) BUT I like the show and I enjoyed reading stories about his life, and if, like me, that’s what you’re looking for, it’s worth reading.
J
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I went into this book with an open mind. I thought that reading Karamo's story might give me more insight into him as a person and help me better appreciate his role on Queer Eye. Instead, it kind of made me like him even less.

His story is filled with times when he has done wrong--been a drug addict, oversexed, and an abuser--but each time he seemed to skate by consequence-free. He never seems to take responsibility for his actions and often slyly explains them away by blaming some external fact
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I blazed through this in about a day. The writing style is very casual, the font is larger and there are a fair amount of photos so it's a quick read. Karamo's story is fascinating. I think this would be great on audio if he read it. However, it was organized more by topic than by chronology which made it a little harder to keep track of what was going on when.
Chris
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn’t know a thing about his past but really like him on QE. I felt like this was a damage control piece put out by someone who has many skeletons and best to put his ugly actions out there before others did and tarnished his image he has created for the show. I wish I hadn’t even read this and really I’m not sure why I did.
Tib
I'm not going to give this a star rating, because I feel really weird rating someone's life story. But, I will discuss how much I enjoyed reading the book.

CW: abuse, drug addiction/use, attempted suicide

I listened to the audiobook mostly because it was read by Karamo himself and I will always listen to the audiobook over reading the physical book if the author reads the book themselves. I think it's the best experience because you get to hear how the story is intended to sound.

Anyway, I picked
Fabian
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the past couple of years I've read a lot of celebrity memoirs but never talked about them, because most of them really disappointed me. I mean if you're going to write a full lenght book about your life & yourself, you better show me the good, the bad & the ugly. Tell me about the stuff that keeps you moving & what inspires you. Tell me about the things you've learned & the shit you've went through. Your struggles, the obstacles you've faced while trying to pursue your dreams. ...more
Hannah Smith
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Audiobook version.

Kind of wish I didn't read this. It's not very well-written and very repetitive, self-satisfying and corny. Sorry Karamo.
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It wouldn't be Karamo Brown if he didn't make me cry at least twice while listening to this audio book.

I love how honestly he talks about his past (including his own abusive behavior, drug abuse and his relationship with his family) without sugar coating it. It was quite fascinating listening to his story because he comes across as very mild mannered and generally easy going and empathetic in his interviews since Queer Eye premiered.

If you're a fan of Karamo because of Queer Eye you'll definite
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Read this if you're a fan of the show. I admire Brown's candor about his past mistakes, and towards the end I enjoyed the glimpse into the casting of Queer Eye. Good for him sticking to his guns about what his role on the show should be - I think his approach (addressing the "hero's" inner life and emotional state) is central to the show's success and appeal.
bookafy
Apr 24, 2019 added it
Shelves: read-2019
No rating because I don't think it's okay to rate someone's life story but I liked reading this and it's written beautifully, I will look at Karamo full of admiration now.
MaryJo
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring story of hope, love, loss, and overcoming tremendous obstacles. Karamo's life story is brilliantly shared and he brings light to many difficult situations.
Marjo
imagine consuming any media related to queer eye and not sobbing your fucking eyes out. can't relate.
Lizzie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Karamo Brown does such a wonderful job on Queer Eye that I really hesitated over rating 2 stars. A lot of the messages in his book align with who he is on the show, which I guess is why there are so many high ratings here.
But this just wasn't quality writing. The main thing that brought it down for me was the repetition. Multiple repeat discussions of incidents that had already been covered in previous chapters.
That and he seemed a little too self-satisfied. I'm cringing as I write that because
Danya Sherbini
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
As far as celebrity memoirs go, I thought this one was worth the read. I appreciate that Karamo is very transparent about his past struggles and doesn’t shy away from describing his mistakes, even if it means not painting his past self in a positive light. There are a few nice nuggets of motivation here, and the audio book has some funny and inspiring moments, although the delivery was a bit clunky at times. I also appreciate that the entire book isn’t just about Queer Eye, although the last cha ...more
Molly
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t freaking wait!!!
Alyssa
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I really appreciated how honest and open Karamo was in this book. He didn’t shy away from the truth of his past or his current struggles, and I think that’s a hard thing for a lot of people to do when writing about their lives.

I know the reason everyone is going to read this book is because of Queer Eye, but i wish he would have talked about the show a little less in this book. I want to know about Karamo, not about the casting of Queer Eye. Obviously that’s just a personal opinion, and this bo
Shayna Ross
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Here's the thing: I like Karamo a lot. He is a great person and has a phenomenal personality. He is a handsome dude and dresses like a pro. He's great!

This book is not so much.

A memoir of sorts, Karamo dictates his life story into central themes for each chapter that follows a formulaic approach: shares the story piece, explain what he learned, and passes that inspiration to you, the reader. It reads VERY MUCH like his Queer Eye persona (more like per season 3), which brings a different experien
Carrie Lynn
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It feels odd to give a star rating to someone’s life story- but I really enjoyed listening to Karamo from Queer Eye tell his. It wasn’t what I expected (addiction, domestic violence, etc). I actually had whip lash going from who he used to be to how clear and awesome he is now. I had to pause sometimes to be like did he really just say he did that?
Everything he wrote about being cast on Queer Eye and the love for the fab five was exactly what I wanted. I still have the same deep love for Karamo
Amanda
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highly-recommend
I was hesitant to watch the reboot of Queer Eye when it was first released, because I loved the original and didn't think it could possibly compare. Once I gave it a chance (and ultimately came to love it even more than its predecessor), Karamo was immediately the cast member who I was most drawn to. Having read his book, I understand why. Many of our experiences are similar, and I love that he is so open about some of the most challenging aspects of his life in this book. This is definitely one ...more
Meg
Apr 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult, audio, nonfiction
Without getting too negative here, we'll just say that this book didn't raise my opinion of Karamo. I'd hoped to learn more of what's beneath the surface-- which readers do, to some extent-- but he seems pretty tied up in his showbusiness career (and, on the side, social work-- and I'm not sure I understand the intersection).

I didn't like the format of the book-- it's clear that the editor did not demand much by way of structure. There's lots of flashing back, flashing forward, and cross-refere
Karin
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was everything I wanted from a Karamo memoir and then some. It's great to hear about his upbringing, his current family and how he got into queer eye, but it's exceptional to hear about his experience with abusive relationships, his thoughts on the intersection of colorism and gender, and his reconciliation with Christianity.
Susie Dumond
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whether or not you're a fan of Queer Eye, Karamo has an incredible and touching story to tell. From addiction to abuse to fatherhood, he talks honestly about his experiences and offers sage advice for mental health and self improvement. This was so much more than I expected it to be! i would definitely watch Karamo's dream talk show.
Emily
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
"I had a choice to make: I either had to talk about museums and art or I had to talk to the stranger and get to their emotional core."

Karamo often makes everyone cry, even this viewer!
This book is about hearing his story and learning about the journey he is on in life.

It was nice to get to know him and his background a little bit better that the slivers we see on the show.
Jeanne
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Easily one of the most wholesome and uplifting books I've ever read.
Tara
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I inhaled this. So so good. Karamo is so honest. I loved diving into his history a bit more and really gaining an understanding of his life and how he came to be him. Loved this.
Jeanette
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
My fave of the five!!
Karamo Brown is an American television host, reality television personality, psychotherapist, and activist. Brown began his career in 2004 on the MTV reality show The Real World: Philadelphia. He currently stars as the culture expert in the Netflix series Queer Eye.
“People need to understand that they are always consciously or unconsciously affecting the choices and dreams of others.” 0 likes
“I have learned that to have a healthy life, you must acknowledge tensions or disagreements—not avoid them. Each moment in my life that I viewed as horrible or hurtful at the time was actually a message that I needed to receive, learn from, and use to inspire others.” 0 likes