Start by marking “The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)

The Express Bride

(The Daughters of the Mayflower #9)

The Wilderness Is a Great Place to Hide
Jacqueline Rivers manages a Pony Express station in 1860 Utah territory after her father’s death. There are daily stresses placed on her in this unconventional role—and now a government official is asking her to sniff out counterfeiters. When Elijah Johnson passes through on the stage while on an exhausting quest to find his boss
Published July 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Express Bride, please sign up.
Bess There's quite a bit of violence with people being shot (in the head) and such. However, it is not overly graphic. There's no sex. I would say if the 7…moreThere's quite a bit of violence with people being shot (in the head) and such. However, it is not overly graphic. There's no sex. I would say if the 7th grader can distinguish between real and fiction very well, then go for it. :)(less)

Start your review of The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)
Loraine
This is among my favorites of the Daughters of the Mayflower series for several reasons. First, I knew very little about the Pony Express and learned so much from the novel. For some reason, I thought the Pony Express existed for many years when, in fact, it only lasted 19 months. Second, Woodhouse has a magical way of making her characters so believable, rich and complex. Finally, the spiritual content is so deep and fulfilling that I finish her books with a renewing of my own faith.

Jackie aka
Deanne Patterson
What do you think of when you hear the words Pony Express? When I do I think of it as being larger than life. I do believe there are many misconceptions surrounding the Pony Express. I could not believe it only ran for roughly nineteen months. It does seem like it was so much longer than this.
A broken and bitter man finds his only relief in the bottom the bottle. His wife who will always love him because of memories of far better times they've had together flees for her life taking their newborn
Missy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was easily 4.5 stars, which I will round up to 5 just because I liked it that much. It was so reminiscent of the 1990's show Young Riders with Cody, Hickock, Lou, Ike, Kid, Buck, and of course the always patriarchal Teaspoon, which was about the Pony Express. Loved that show, hated when the cancelled it (which they seem to do quite often with shows I like). But if you watched the show, this book puts you right back in it.

This is the story of Jacqueline "Jack" Rivers who has just lost h
Staci
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
I'm continuing to love the Daughters of the Mayflower Series! The journey through history and stunning covers have won me over.

In the Express Bride, readers are exposed to the Pony Express and what life was like for those that ran stations and rode circuits. This was all fascinating and the author's note at the end added even more detail about this unique (and brief) time in U.S. History.

There were a couple of events in the story line that seemed a bit convenient or forced for the plot. Overall,
Karen R
One of my favorite eras in history, full of adventure, coupled with a little mystery and a sweet romance, made this an all around satisfying read! The Pony Express and Stagecoach stop at Carson Sink in 1860, Utah Territory, was right near the heart of the silver mining area and the U.S. mint of Carson City. Perfect place to involve a forgery ring and cover up.

The search for a long lost heiress was the main mystery and kept the story moving at a steady pace. Using letters and journal entries wa
Susan
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed reading the books in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. Each book can be read as standalone, each story separated by a generation or branch of the family tree. I like how the stories also reflect the writing styles and historical interests of the individual authors.

I really enjoyed learning about the pony express as I read Jaqueline's story. Ms. Woodhouse's love of this historical period is apparent in the well-researched details that are included in this novel. It is f
Amanda Geaney
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the history of the Pony Express and the message of forgiveness this story portrays.
Debby "Piene Raven"
The Express Bride is the 9th book in the Daughters of Mayflower series. Although I have not read all of the stories, the ones that I have read were truly wonderful. In this story, we have a woman on the run from her abusive husband and in order to protect her child, she has no recourse but to flee. The story picks up later of Jacqueline Rivers, know as “Jack” who runs her own station house on the Pony Express. The story also involves Elijah's search for his employer Charles Vines' long-lost daug ...more
Sarita
What I've come to love and enjoy about Kimberley Woodhouse's books is that they are filled with adventure and characters that has a personal journey with God. The express bride was another great read by this author and this series.

So, if you still have to start this series, you love historical and adventure books, what are you waiting for.

I loved reading about the pony express and how they functioned and what a well-oiled machine it was for the short period it ran. The plot about the forgery was
Paula Shreckhise
The Express Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse is #9 in the Daughters of the Mayflower series by Barbour.
I have so enjoyed these Daughters of the Mayflower books. Each is unique but very well written. The Express Bride has become on of my favorites and is a priceless addition to the series. The cover of this and all the others are so fittingly beautiful to each story.
What a wonderful story of the short time the Pony Express was in service. Most of the book takes place in 1860 in Utah Territory. It i
Suzie Waltner
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

The Express Bride is book nine in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. If you’re only just hearing about the series, first, where have you been? And second, know that you can read these books in any order. They are tied together by the lineage of the women, but each book stands on its own.
Kimberley Woodhouse delves into a lesser known (and short) area of American history in this book. If you haven’t guessed by the title and description, it’s set at a Pony Express home station.

Woodhous
Anne
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed reading this work of fiction about the Pony express. The author states she took quite a bit of creative liberty and it made for an exciting story. Woodhouse is an author I will be reading more of because from the first page to the last, I was mesmerized by her word-weaving skill and finished reading the book in less than half a day.

Fans of historical fiction interwoven with strong faith will want to read this series of books from Barbour, especially the ones Kimberley Woodhouse has
Kailey
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like the rest of this series, this book doesn’t disappoint! I absolutely loved it! I love how this book gave a look at the Pony Express. Kimberley Woodhouse did a great job writing these characters! It was so easy to love them. I’m definitely looking forward to reading more of this series! I highly recommend it!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Shonda
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book brought me such joy reading it. The characters were so wonderful and I feel in love with all of them. I have to say my favorite character was Ann who was deceased in the book but her legacy was so big and touched so many people in this story. This story was phenomenal, showing us God’s love and forgiveness. I cried happy tears as I was reading, this story touched my heart so deeply. The author does such a beautiful job showing how we all sin and how our sins can hurt others so deeply. ...more
Scarlett
Thanks to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for an ARC of this book! Release date - July 1, 2019

So once upon a time like a year ago I had just discovered the amazingness that is NetGalley and was gung-ho about requesting every single book that looked remotely interesting, regardless of whether I had heard of it or knew anything about it or had it on my want to read list. I noticed a book called The Pirate Bride, and thought, cool, I like pirates. It had a pretty cover too, so I requested it. And
Ivy
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It is well written and the story is captivating. Truly speaks of grace, forgiveness, and God’s love. I can’t wait to read more of her works!
Dee/ bookworm
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked how the book came together. It was an array of mystery, romance, and thriller. I felt that the book was almost slow in the beginning, but that happens when you are learning the characters and almost too quick at the ending. Without spoilers I cannot give specifics, but it felt rushed.

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Monique
The Express Bride is the ninth installment of the Mayflower series, written by Kimberley Woodhouse. I can’t believe we’re at nine already! They are all standalones so you don’t need to read other books in other to enjoy this one.

And can I just mention how GORGEOUS this cover is? It’s my favorite so far. And not only is it my favorite cover, to be honest it’s my favorite book in this series so far. Not that the other books aren’t awesome but you gotta have a favorite, right?

The Express Bride foc
Julie Carpenter
I have been reading this series from the start and really enjoying it. This one came out a few months ago, *coughs* ok maybe more than a few. I had received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley and life became a little crazy and different than I thought it would be. So I had books that I'd agreed to review and some fell through the cracks. Like this one. It wasn't purposeful, just life. So here I am trying to go through and read and enjoy these books that slipped through the cracks. I pic ...more
Trisha
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this latest story in the daughters of the Mayflower collection. Set in Utah during the height of the Pony Express, we are invited to a front-row seat to the running of a Pony Express stop. The story is fast-paced, with an air of mystery and a sweet, slow blooming romance.

Jacqueline (Jack) Rivers is a strong, capable young woman who knows what needs to get done and isn’t afraid to see that it is taken care of. She is a hard-worker, and more than willing to pick up the mantle of
Becca-Rae Weidel
I honestly do not have the words to describe how much I love this series! I am a huge historical fiction fan, but I will admit that I fall into the habit of reading books from the same specific time periods. I'm not complaining about this, but I appreciate this series because it takes me to times and places I probably wouldn't have traveled otherwise. Even though the books can each be read as a standalones, the knowledge that the characters are connected through lineage breeds a unique appreciat ...more
Kristi
Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I love when they take place in the unsettled West. Add in an independent woman and men willing to protect her if needed and you have a story that I can become engrossed in and enjoy from start to finish. The Express Bride was everything I was looking forward to and more.

From the very beginning, I was hooked by this storyline. I enjoyed learning about the Pony Express and reading about the unsettled Utah Territory. I also enjoyed the cast of ch
Dixie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the pacing in this book. Although foreshadowing made it easy to guess ahead to some of the outcomes, the story carried on with the world-building and the introduction and development of new characters as they came onto the scene. More "historical fiction" that includes a romance than "historical romance," I enjoyed the details of the Pony Express station operations and the criminal suspense plot that also carried the story forward. I am hoping to see the loose ends from this and the prev ...more
Jean Blankenship
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Express Bride by Kimberley
Full of adventure, romance, crime, murder and knowledge about the workings of the Pony Express.
A Christian Story. I didn’t want to stop reading because the characters were so likable. Jackie, called Jack by her friends and ran the Pony Express after her father died. Elijah, sent by her real father to find her because he had changed and Jackie’s mother and his wife had fled from his abuse and found refuge in the West with Mr. Rivers, who became her adopted father.

I tha
Patti Wolff
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The 9th installment of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, the "The Express Bride" is well-written and has given me a greater understanding of how the Pony Express actually operated. What a difficult undertaking that must have been. While the underlying plot concerns Elijah's search for his employer Charles Vines' long-lost daughter, a compelling subplot concerning counterfeiting is woven throughout.

The characters are all delightful, including the deceased ones we know from their written word
Kelly Tyree
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed all of the books in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. They are all different but they are all well written and tied together by ancestry.

In The Express Bride, you are immediately drawn into a woman fleeing an abusive home with her baby. Years later that baby is now Jacqueline Rivers and she runs a station house on the Pony Express. Her mother died when she was a young child and she was raised by her father who just died. He left her the station house which is unusual
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading the Daughters of the Mayflower series since book one and have enjoyed all of them. The Express Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse did not disappoint!

It is filled with murder, mystery, romance and even a Bible study on Daniel! This book had me from the get-go. And even though this is the ninth book in the series, it can be read as a standalone, so don't despair if you think you have to "catch up" first - you don't. Although I highly recommend all the books in this series.

I loved ho
Ann
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! It is written in such a way that you can see all the scenery and action that is taking place. This is a christian historical romance that is full of action, mystery and suspense. This is the first fiction book I've read about the Pony Express and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own and I've pre-ordered the paperback version. Yes, it's that good!!
Jeanie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 9th novel in the multi-author Daughters of the Mayflower series and 4th by Kimberley Woodhouse, and this is the best so far! The author gives us a wise young protagonist who is mourning the recent death of her father. The setting is Utah Territory in 1860. There is more than one mystery, involving both Elijah, the man searching for his boss and mentor’s daughter, and discovering who is passing US Treasury Notes through the Pony Express stations, including the one that Jackie aka Jack ...more
BlueJeansAndTeacups
•°o•:*:•. VERY HAPPY .•:*:• o°•
After not enjoying the last book in the series, I was so very pleasantly surprised at how much I did enjoy book no.9 in the “Daughters of the Mayflower”: series. Once I found out it centered around the Pony Express, I decided to accept the invitation to read it.
Some fun facts from the book: Now called the Pony Express, it was the Central Overland California and Pikes Peak Express Company (COC&PP). It operated from 04/03/1860 until 10/24/1861 when the telegraph too
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Yellow Lantern
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Once Upon a Dickens Christmas: 3 Charming Christmas Tales Set in Victorian England
  • The Pink Bonnet
  • The Gray Chamber
  • The Blue Cloak (True Colors)
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • A Distance Too Grand
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • In the Cradle Lies (Tree of Life #2)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • The Healing Jar
  • The Green Dress
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
Kimberley Woodhouse is the best-selling author of more than twenty books who loves the JOY of story. A lover of history and research, she often gets sucked into the past and then her husband has to lure her out with chocolate. She's spoken to more than 800,000 people at more than 2,000 venues and has taught the craft of writing around the country. Married to the love of her life for twenty-five pl ...more

The Daughters of the Mayflower (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Mayflower Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #1)
  • The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #2)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
  • The Patriot Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #4)
  • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #5)
  • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #6)
  • The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #7)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)

News & Interviews