Start by marking “The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)

The Express Bride

(Daughters of the Mayflower #9)

The Wilderness Is a Great Place to Hide
Jacqueline Rivers manages a Pony Express station in 1860 Utah territory after her father’s death. There are daily stresses placed on her in this unconventional role—and now a government official is asking her to sniff out counterfeiters. When Elijah Johnson passes through on the stage while on an exhausting quest to find his boss’s
Expected publication: July 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Express Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse
    The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #9)
    Release date: Jul 01, 2019
    Enter to Win 1 of a 100 kindle copies of The Express Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse, the newest release in the Daughters of the Mayflower series.

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 409 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 03 - Jun 24, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Express Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Express Bride

Missy
    May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was easily 4.5 stars, which I will round up to 5 just because I liked it that much. It was so reminiscent of the 1990's show Young Riders with Cody, Hickock, Lou, Ike, Kid, Buck, and of course the always patriarchal Teaspoon, which was about the Pony Express. Loved that show, hated when the cancelled it (which they seem to do quite often with shows I like). But if you watched the show, this book puts you right back in it.

This is the story of Jacqueline "Jack" Rivers who has just lost h
    Debby "Piene Raven"
    The Express Bride is the 9th book in the Daughters of Mayflower series. Although I have not read all of the stories, the ones that I have read were truly wonderful. In this story, we have a woman on the run from her abusive husband and in order to protect her child, she has no recourse but to flee. The story picks up later of Jacqueline Rivers, know as “Jack” who runs her own station house on the Pony Express. The story also involves Elijah's search for his employer Charles Vines' long-lost daug ...more
    Kelly Tyree
    Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I have really enjoyed all of the books in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. They are all different but they are all well written and tied together by ancestry.

In The Express Bride, you are immediately drawn into a woman fleeing an abusive home with her baby. Years later that baby is now Jacqueline Rivers and she runs a station house on the Pony Express. Her mother died when she was a young child and she was raised by her father who just died. He left her the station house which is unusual
    Dee/ bookworm
    Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I really liked how the book came together. It was an array of mystery, romance, and thriller. I felt that the book was almost slow in the beginning, but that happens when you are learning the characters and almost too quick at the ending. Without spoilers I cannot give specifics, but it felt rushed.

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
    Ann
    May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What a wonderful book! It is written in such a way that you can see all the scenery and action that is taking place. This is a christian historical romance that is full of action, mystery and suspense. This is the first fiction book I've read about the Pony Express and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own and I've pre-ordered the paperback version. Yes, it's that good!!
    May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I have been reading the Daughters of the Mayflower series since book one and have enjoyed all of them. The Express Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse did not disappoint!

It is filled with murder, mystery, romance and even a Bible study on Daniel! This book had me from the get-go. And even though this is the ninth book in the series, it can be read as a standalone, so don't despair if you think you have to "catch up" first - you don't. Although I highly recommend all the books in this series.

I loved ho
    Vibliophile
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    (4 stars) - an Express pleasure to read!

The Pony Express has always fascinated me, so admittedly, I was predisposed to like this story. It was interesting to learn more about how it operated.

While the story is set in the West, there is a fairytale quality to the writing. The characters are certainly well developed & easy to like. The mystery of the counterfeiter drew me in & the suspense kept me there.

There were a few issues that kept me from giving a full 5 star review. It was difficul
    Miranda Atchley
    Like Woodhouse’s other contributions to The Daughters of The Mayflower series, The Express Bride boasts a sweet romance with a gentle sense of intrigue and adventure. I found Jackie a charming heroine. I always love reading about women in history who defied the norm and held unconventional roles and she fits that perfectly. Yet even while she was surrounded by men and held a tough job, she was a sweetheart. While not my favorite hero, I thought Elijah was an overall nice guy and was a good match ...more
    Elizabeth Fiscus
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This story pulled me in from the beginning! Jackie has been through both of her parents dying, but is very satisfied with her life. She is the manager of a pony express station and runs a boarding house as well. Little does she know how her life will be turned upside down!
    Elijah is a wealthy young man who is on a special quest for his employer/partner. He is to find his long lost daughter. Elijah rents a room at Jackie's boarding house, originally only planning to stay a couple of nights. When b
    Jane
    Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Express Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse Historical Fiction of the American West in the mid 19th century. In this new story in the Daughters of the Mayflower series there is excitement from the beginning pages. Crimes to be solved, a runaway, romance, secrets and mysteries from long ago. The old old story of sick souls and the redemption offered by God. I loved the real historical details of the Pony Express, never ending action and especially the gospel story throughout this book and series.
    I r
    Pam
    Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: historical
    The Express Bride (1July2019)
    Kimberly Woodhouse
    I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Set in the Utah Territory in 1860, this novel was well-written with just enough of a love story and suspense to keep the pages turning. Jackie is an interesting heroine—the manager of a Pony Express station. She’s doing a man’s job in a man’s world—extremely well. Elijah, a successful business manager for a wealthy ma
    Marlene  Moore
    Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The storyline was very well researched and very interesting. It was action packed and really held your interest with everything going on. It was a bit too preachy. I am all for sharing the gospel, but it slowed down the pace of the book for me in spots. I recieved this book through netgalley and am glad I did.
    Joanne
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received an advanced course of this book from Barbour through Net Gallery. This rating is all my own. I enjoyed the setting for this book in Utah territory during the time period of the pony express. The characters were likeable and well developed. The novel flowed well and I enjoyed the plotline which included three different stories.
    Ivy
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved this book! It is well written and the story is captivating. Truly speaks of grace, forgiveness, and God’s love. I can’t wait to read more of her works!
    Patti Wolff
    May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The 9th installment of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, the "The Express Bride" is well-written and has given me a greater understanding of how the Pony Express actually operated. What a difficult undertaking that must have been. While the underlying plot concerns Elijah's search for his employer Charles Vines' long-lost daughter, a compelling subplot concerning counterfeiting is woven throughout.

The characters are all delightful, including the deceased ones we know from their written word
    Nikki
    May 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: netgalley
    I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
    May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher Barbour Books for a free ebook copy!
    This was my least favorite of the Daughters of the Mayflower series. The plot was slower, and I didn’t enjoy the characters.

Rating (on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being excellent)
    Quality of writing: 3
    Ease of Reading: 4

Overall rating: 2 out of 5
    Sandra
    May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was so excited to see another novel to the Daughters of the Mayflower Series. Kimberley Woodhouse did not disappoint. This is a beautifully written Christian historical fiction book, laced with romance. The first few pages of the story are packed with adventure and suspense. Jacqueline Rivers is a very strong female character, living in a man's world doing a man's job. Love, redemption, sacrifice and loyalty are all woven throughout this story. I love reading one of Kimberley's books, I learn ...more
    Paula
    May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A wonderful story of a young lady that is in charge of a Pony Express station in Utah territory at the beginning of the Civil War! Her world is turned upside down, as she learns that everything she thought she knew is challenged! Excellent story but ended much too soon for me! Loved it!
    Pam
    Jun 04, 2019
    Lisa Nelson
    May 10, 2019
    Karen R
    One of my favorite eras in history, full of adventure, coupled with a little mystery and a sweet romance, made this an all around satisfying read! The Pony Express and Stagecouch stop at Carson Sink in 1860, Utah Territory, was right near the heart of the silver mining area and the U.S. mint of Carson City. Perfect place to involve a forgery ring and cover up.

The search for a long lost heiress was the main mystery and kept the story moving at a steady pace. Using letters and journal entries wa
    Carissa
    Amanda
    Feb 19, 2019
    Bethany
    Feb 19, 2019
    Kimberley Woodhouse is the best-selling author of more than twenty books who loves the JOY of story. A lover of history and research, she often gets sucked into the past and then her husband has to lure her out with chocolate. She's spoken to more than 800,000 people at more than 2,000 venues and has taught the craft of writing around the country. Married to the love of her life for twenty-five pl ...more

Daughters of the Mayflower (10 books)
    • The Mayflower Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #1)
    • The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #2)
    • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #3)
    • The Patriot Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #4)
    • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #5)
    • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #6)
    • The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #7)
    • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
    • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)