Start by marking “The Perfect Circle” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Circle

The Perfect Circle

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Winner of the 2004 Governor General's Literary Award for Fiction (French language) Shortlisted for the 2006 Scotiabank Giller Prize. Marianne, a young Montrealer, has come to live in Tuscany to draw and write and examine her life. Here she meets Marco, a temptingly seductive man who still lives in his mother's house in the village and who's not prepared to commit himself t ...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Cormorant Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Circle

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2006
This is not a quick read, it's not one for the subway or your lunch break, but it is one for delving and imagining and running off to Italy with.

It opens with a passage in the second person, never easy to read at the best of times but hang in there, it tells the unnamed narrator's story in a nutshell, a very sad, lonely nutshell, and sets the premise for the rest of the story: to tell the story with names changed, to create some distance perhaps, or to handle the emotions and learn from them. I
Samira Salimi
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has a special literature, very different to what I have read over last weeks. At the end of the story I was disappointed how much an adult man can be influenced by his mum's ideas to end a relationship. We are living in modern era & I hope people can make their own decisions regardless of what their parents dictate them. Do not take me wrong, respect them but just get advice...do not detour your path if their instructions are detrimental. The Perfect Circle is a limited boundary ju ...more
Angela
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is so beautifully written that I refuse to criticize it. The fault is my own--I have so little patience for slow, ponderous, descriptive fiction these days. This reminds me of my experience of reading Anne Michaels, Kim Tuay, or Michael Helm--it's gorgeous but it just requires more attention than I'm capable of giving. Has plot based/thriller fiction destroyed my brain??

Perhaps this is the wrong time in my life to read such a book. I felt my eyes rolling quite a bit as I remembered my
Stephanie
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was perfect. Perfect. Helped me understand someone in my own life as well. The prose was stunning, I was absolutely floored. I will definitely be reading the original french version as well to see if it's just the translation that has so much lyricism to it. I will definitely, definitely be reading more of Pascale Quivigier.
Dawn
This book was translated from French and while I don't read or speak the language, I'm pretty impressed with how well the translator did. It's a beautiful love story, told in a very ethereal way.
Marie-Claire Pitre
L'auteure a reçue le Prix du gouverneur général pour ce livre. Je suis heureuse de lire un livre écrit au Canada. Ce livre raconte un peine d'amour et le retour vers la vie. Il est écrit en deux temps ou deux styles. Le "je" et la troisième personne. Elle alterne entre le présent et le passé. Le personnage est à la fois dévastée par l'amour et ... sauvée par l'amour. J'ai aimé les titres des chapitres. J'ai l'impression que cette auteure peint car on dirait qu'elle décrit des tableaux. Ses titre ...more
Charles
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kathryn Deiss
One's self and the environment. To live in the world, or is the world where we live? I would give a bad thanks to translator Sheila Fischman. In English, the book's lyricism and rhythms are engaging. Tuscany as the glass dessert case in a Greek diner...those exotic pies and cakes look so visually engaging, but the taste can be pretty bland, once you get inside the chocolate shell. Many of us will see aspects of previous intense relationships that eventually disengaged....without regrets.
Liz
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Found this in the apartment we are staying at in Paris. A very quick read but I didn't really care for the characters. They weren't really developed enough, and what we did learn of them didn't really make them likable in my opinion.
Annie
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
this tug of war between lovers just felt too familiar - is it possible that I am her? Perhaps the best example of the universality of human emotions.
Claire
Jennifer Barolet
Jul 26, 2014
Tanis
Feb 03, 2015
Pascale Quiviger was born in Montreal and now divides her time between London, UK and Italy. Her first novel, The Perfect Circle, won the Governor General's Literary Award for French Fiction and was a Scotiabank Giller Prize finalist.
More about Pascale Quiviger