Start by marking “Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1

Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1

(Monster and the Beast #1)

Cavo is a hideous monster with a pure heart. Liam, on the other hand, might look like the perfect gentleman, but he's a beast on the inside, and he has an eccentric personality to boot. When Cavo rescues Liam from an unfortunate situation in the forest, the paths of the monster and the beast cross for the first time. Will their meeting be a fleeting encounter or a timeless ...more
Published June 25th 2019 by Yen Press (first published March 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1

Start your review of Monster and the Beast, Vol. 1
Lois Bujold
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: manga readers wanting a change from teenage characters
Recommended to Lois by: random Amazon cross-link
Huh. That was... odd. Though at least it's not Japanese high school students this round.

Continuing this week's Beauty & the Beast explorations, in this version a lonely monster in a woods rescues a passing traveler from menacing thugs; said traveler, a middle-aged, dapper-dressed (in the woods, right) fellow with white hair, purple eyes, and wide-ranging sexual appetites, and the big, but maybe naive, monster Cavo strike up an unlikely friendship. The traveler Liam presents as human, but I'm
Sherry
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Aww, I like Cawo so much and I wish he would just leave Liam because Liam doesn't seem worthy of his affection. But I'm curious about how the story will continue. it also makes a nice change from the usual BL stuff.
Rebecca
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lbgtq, fantasy
This...was not what I was expecting. I think it caters to a few fetishes that I definitely don't partake of. Bonus points for a pansexual main character who is unapologetic about his sexuality, though!
Briar Lynn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...I want to read a Boy's Love fantasy manga featuring a middle-aged guy and an inhuman creature."

I have never related to an author/artist's vision so much. After not finding what he was looking for, Renji decided to make it himself. Bless him for it.

The art style isn't going to blow anyone away, but Cavo is such a sweet demon and has a unique appearance. I really do love his long hair. And Liam is so charming that the pair's dynamics will carry me through until the next volume comes out.

Very
Kara Jorgensen
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually quite like this. I'm keeping in mind that this is the first volume of this manga and the author is a novice by their admission, so it will have hiccups along the way.
I think what a lot of reviewers don't like is that Liam is a bit of a player, and in their minds, an asshole. He makes it clear he doesn't want a relationship, just sex, and I like that he's clear to his partners. Cavo is a tad naive, and we don't know his backstory, but his attachment makes sense in that he is mistreated
L. Luck
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
*"doubt" meme here*

This follows Cavo, a large demon living in the forest that is feared and described as ugly. He has little contact with the outside and human world, until he hears a struggle and rescues Liam, a middle-aged man with a mysterious past and agenda and the strongest libido you have ever seen. He also has a wicked streak worthy of being called a beast. Cavo isn't really feeling that, so Liam tones it down, but his gentleness and kindness stirs feelings Cavo has never experienced
Elaine White
You know what? Call me nuts, but I loved this!

For once, we have a role reversal in Yaoi - the human is the seducer, the player, the unapologetically sexual creature, and the beast is the gentle one, the one who has limits and is shy. But, at the same time, Liam makes it *very* clear that he has no interest in anything permanent, that he enjoys his life of wandering and sleeping with anyone who takes his fancy.

Sure, there is a slight fetish aspect, with Liam's attraction to a somewhat animalistic
Jennette Reid
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I had high expectations for this book, I think some of the story might have been lost in translation. It's wonderfully illustrated and I'm still looking forward to the next volume, but I hoped for more character development and a deeper plot.

Cavo is a solitary demon living in the vast woods, feared by all who see him. Liam is a shady traveling salesman who is being pursued along his travels. When Cavo rescues Liam in the woods and discovers that Liam is not afraid is him, the two begin a
Rebekah
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, manga
This manga was highly entertaining and I found the art style to be very charming and very much my taste. The story is a little eccentric, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed the role reversal aspect of the "beauty and the beast" trope here - with the beast being the innocent one and the human man is the seducer. I'm curious to see where the plot is going since Volume 1 leaves off with a big confrontation about to happen, and of course I want to see where the weird budding romance between man ...more
Meredith Katz
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A BL manga with a middle aged man and an inhuman creature that leaves you asking which one is the monster and which is the beast. Vol 1 is a little BL-tropey and doesn't get too much into the actual story other than teasing that Liam isn't what he seems but the characters are well-written and developed and the art is good. I'm really glad I read this with Vol 2 already available, though, because Vol 2 got me much more into it.
JoAnn
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

I’ve had my eye on this for some time. I always love beauty and the beast tropes, unfortunately in this our beast is the beauty (or monster) and our beauty is the beast.

It must be a yaoi/manga thing to always have a player in the story... maybe idk... I’m not very versed in them I just enjoy them occasionally. But I can easily hate some so undeserving of our beastly demon, and in this case that was Liam. Anyways I might pursue Volume 2... not to sure yet.
Peter Parker in Texas
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m really digging renji’s first work and hope it will be successful. I love the art, I love Liam and Cavo and they are perfect for one another. The story is great and Liam is well written, so is Cavo.

I love how nonchalant Liam is about his sexual appetite. I’m definitely looking forward to volume two which I know came out in Japan this past month.

I had been anxiously waiting to receive this since it had been pre-ordered on Amazon and it did not disappoint!
Khyie
I read the first 3 chapters of this for free and I was so excited about it that I immediately hunted it down and bought it. So of course the rest of it was disappointing. I really do not like the direction they went with Liam at all. I'll probably read the next volume when it comes out but I'm so tired of assholes and Liam really is a massive dick. Here's to hoping he's better in the next one.
MaeveReads
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and funny

A cute funny story about a middle aged man (Monster) and a pure kind hearted beast.. well it was a start and it seemed to get darker towards the end, looking forward to the next book. The start was lighthearted but as we delved more into the story we get to know our Monster has darker secrets than what we know, and our Beast is pure cinnamon roll who might end up getting hurt, and I'm hoping he wont, seriously please no.. the art is great nothing elaborate but still pleasing and
Dylan
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite new manga of 2019, and I know I'm probably one of the few that think so. This story follows a playboy man and a beast he meets in the woods. What starts as an unlikely alliance quickly turns to more. This manga was so sweet, I loved the interactions with the characters. If you like BL and something different, this Beauty and the Beast retelling is for you.
Seph Reid
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good concept, LOVE the Beast! Kind-of mad that the second book isn't out yet, but to be fair I just grabbed this off the shelf at the bookstore out of curiosity without Googling it or anything. Will definitely be getting/reading the rest when they're released
Sally
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cavo was so cute, and Liam was a bastard who I love. I love it when people’s personalities are the exact opposite of their appearance.

Their interactions were adorable and I love the art style! I’m really looking forward to the next one!!
Jennifer Lavoie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, gay, manga, yaoi
I bought this on a whim and was surprised. I really like the simplistic art as well as the story. Cavo is an interesting character and drawn really well. Liam is interesting and I want to know more about his past. I should have bought both books at once.
Forthright .
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hideous but gentle monster rescues a man who shows no fear in his presence. And basically wins him with a kiss. Mind you, I don't think the philanderer (who is the titular "monster") deserves such devotion. But I do wonder what will happen next.
Nore
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've got no excuse, friends. I enjoyed it.
Louise
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Quite a slight story, but an enjoyable start.
Gabriella
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute, it's got me hooked

The art style is very smooth and consistent and I'm excited to see what happens next!! I think the author did a very good job with the characters
Jillian -always aspiring-
This is by no means a bad story, but I rather disliked Liam and felt he was not worthy of Cavo’s affection and care. I don’t know if I will feel the need to continue with the series either...
Anne Nelson
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-sff
What I’d always needed

I didn’t know this was something I needed in my life, I’m glad Renji knew for me. Cavo deserves the world.
Shay
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It was ana interesting story. Definitely left me wondering about the truth! Wanting more.
Pavesuda Nanta
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rekki
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, yaoi
I love this! Adorable monsters are my jam. I'm very curious to see where the plot goes, too.
Miss Susan
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
it's different enough to be refreshing but i also sort of feel like cavo needs a protection squad

3 stars
Briana "Bree"  M
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Maybe a 2.5. *sigh* I'm not sure how I feel. Cavo is adorable but the plot so far... ehh
Winter Blanc
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was kinda cute!

I don't usually mark I'm Goodreads when I read manga but I liked this one. Cavo was just adorable and I'm looking forward to volume two whenever it appears.

• Our Dining Table
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • Coyote, Vol. 2
  • 辺獄のカレンデュラ I [Hengoku no Kalendula 1]
  • 卒業生 - 冬 - [Sotsugyōsei - Fuyu]
  • Tatsuyuki Oyamato The 4th
  • Classmates
  • 卒業生 - 春 - [Sotsugyōsei - Haru -]
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • 飴色パラドックス 1 [Ameiro Paradox 1] (Amber Paradox #1)
  • Escape Journey, Vol. 3
  • コヨーテ [Coyote]
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 4 [Shimanami Tasogare 4]
  • Seven Days: Monday–Sunday
  • 飴色パラドックス 2 [Ameiro Paradox 2] (Amber Paradox #2)
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 2 [Shimanami Tasogare 2]
  • 黒執事 XXVIII [Kuroshitsuji XXVIII] (Black Butler, #28)
  • ひだまりが聴こえる-リミット-2 [Hidamari ga kikoeru - Limit 2]

Monster and the Beast (2 books)
  • Monster and the Beast, Vol. 2