Start by marking “Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1

Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1

(Kaiju Girl Caramelise #1)

Suffering from a rare, incurable illness that causes frightening changes to her body, loner Kuroe Akaishi spends her high school days avoiding all her classmates-especially class idol Arata Minami and his groupies. But when Arata starts making her heart skip a beat with irritating regularity, Kuroe discovers that her illness actually has a big-make that MONSTER-secret: Rom ...more
Published June 25th 2019 by Yen Press (first published June 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1

Start your review of Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1
Amanja
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kaiju Girl Caramelise is about a young girl with a rare condition that is apparently incurable and unknown by modern doctors. She sprouts grotesque monster parts throughout her body that deform and embarrass her.

These monster parts have always been temporary but she is of course concerned that one day it will be permanent. The concern grows when one day she doesn't only grow monster parts she grows to be a complete monster, or kaiju. Head to toe she is basically Godzilla.

This always happens at t
Kayla Brunson
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, manga
I didn’t love this as I had anticipated and I’m so sad about that. While it was cute and the artwork is adorable as always, I was waiting for it to capture me like Beasts of Abigaile. The plot of her turning into a Godzilla like character when she feels love emotions is interesting and I will probably continue with the next volume.

If you like cute artwork and shojo manga then you might like this one!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Mehsi
Meet Kuroe, a sweet albeit gloomy girl... but she has a big secret... she is a Kaiju.

I was lured in by the absolutely stunning cover, just look at how beautiful it is! The title had me pondering, Girl Kaiju? You mean this girl can turn into kaiju? OMG, I want to know more.

Our main lead is a girl named Kuroe, a girl who has had trouble with her body parts throughout her life. She grows tails, her hands mutate to that of a monster, she has spikes poke out of her back among other things. So she ha
Rod Brown
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
An absurd but cute and funny look at body image and teen romance. Kuroe has a chronic illness that causes temporary deformities in her body, so she enters high school withdrawn, sulky and resentful. But a cute boy starts to cause shifts in her attitude and, most dreadfully, her physical condition.

I'm not sure how long this concept can be drawn out, but I'm willing to watch.
Artemis
Teenage girl has to hide a literal monster illness, and she transforms into a kaiju, as a metaphor for adolescence and the tumultuous feelings that come with it, told in cute, shoujo-styled artwork.

I should just end it right there.

I've never seen a kaiju or Godzilla movie, not in full anyway, but I know my shoujo manga, and 'Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 1' mixes these two genres in a playful, funny, charming, adorable, endearing, heartfelt, teary way.

Pretty much all the high school shoujo genre
Tabrizia
This was just a charming and funny manga! A socially awkward teen who turns into a kaiju monster when her emotions run high is such an innovative and relatable manga novel. Not only did it provide the cuteness and adorableness of a high school story but it contained themes that any teen reader would find relatable. Bullying, mental health, romance, self-confidence...this series may have a fantasy element but the story provides realism. The self-loathing Kuroe is a character that most readers can ...more
Kristin
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Bog standard shoujo that can't rise to the level of its awesome monster art.

I didn't realize when I grabbed this it was by the author of Beasts of Abigale, a series so lackluster I don't remember reading and reviewing three volumes. The tropes being trotted out here aren't as infuriating as they were in that series, but that's because nothing in this book-- besides the kaiju art-- rises above bland.

I don't know why she likes this guy. I don't know why he likes her. I really don't know why she's
Matt Midlock
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun and adorable tale (tail?) of Akaishi who turns into a kaiju whenever she has strong emotions about anyone. Yes. Really.

The book is deeper than it sounds and addresses feelings of self worth, depression, anxiety and inadequacy. It really highlights the awkwardness everyone feels when infatuated with someone. It's really great and while I don't think I am the intended audience, I really enjoyed it!
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, manga, ya
We all feel like monsters sometimes - poor Kuroe just has that feeling a bit more literally than most in this delightful spoof of adolescent insecurities.

Full review eventually appearing on ANN.
Yuiko
Shelves: kindle, manga
4.5 sparkly kaiju stars
Dubzor
Jun 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, that was a thing I read...
Shae
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This may be one of the weirdest manga I have ever read, but I have fallen in love! I love the story of the girl who is part Kaiju, and only transforms because she has feelings for this boy at school! When he returns her feelings, we run into all sorts of adorable scenarios, as well as trouble. I am in for the long haul on this one!
Jenny
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I was so jazzed when I found this little gem, and it did not disappoint! I first heard about Aoki through her series The Beasts of Abigaile, and while that series has its flaws I genuinely love it. So you'll have to forgive me if I squee throughout this review because OH MY GOSH I LOVED THIS VOLUME!!

Let's start with the premise. Truthfully, this is not an original idea, but the fact that she turns into a kaiju specifically is what makes this awesome. I wasn't sure where the story was going in te
David Boughton
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I've come to expect that when it comes to anime and manga, no idea is too crazy to put into print. Even so, I still end up being frequently surprised by what I find on the bookstore shelves. That brings us to this manga, Kaiju Girl Caramelise, which is a high-school love story mixed with a kaiju film.
Kuroe Akaishi suffers from a condition in which she sprouts reptilian-like features whenever she feels love. Because of this, she's become an antisocial loner who believes she's destined to be alone
Katja
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It's fun and funny but has something to say too and it's cute as hell. Spica Aoki draws so... variably! There are so many faces for the characters, many of them comedic. She draws really well, I really like her style! There is quite a lot of comedy in this manga indeed and in this case, I liked it. I'm quite picky with comedy but here it was funny and cute!

The comedy isn't all there is to the book though: the protagonist Kuroe, the titular kaiju girl, has a condition where parts of
D.M. Dutcher
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and heartwarming series, with a lovely weird twist. Kuroe keeps to herself and is looked down on by her fellow classmates. The real reason she is such a moody loner though is her condition; whenever she feels strong emotions or love, her body mutates and deforms in hideous ways, growing spikes or large, scaly fists. One day she bumps into Minami, the classes's gorgeous male idol, who takes an interest in her. As love blooms we finally become aware of her secret; she turns into a kaiju ...more
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Kaiju Girl Caramelise is the adorable tale of Kuroe Akaishi, who suffers from a rare and incurable disease, one that turns her into a Kaiju. Kuroe struggles with the features of a monster that she takes on during times of stress - clawed, scaly hands, spikes along her spine, and a tail. As she starts to get to know classmate Arata Minami, the attention she receives at school changes, and her condition worsens.

This first volume of Kaiju Girl Caramelise is adorable. The story is unique in a shouj
Kat Agapow
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This manga is a bit of a washed out story you see so much on the shelves. It was entertaining enough that I read it in one sitting but still just a repeat of so may other stories. Girl who is part monster, falls in love, rival in love and some pervy jokes. However I will say that I love the art style and the main character is cute and entertaining. And I like her Godzilla form. If I happen to see the next volume on the shelves I might pick it up to see if it gets better. All in all it was a quic ...more
Mercedez
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bethany
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Kuroe suffers from a rare disease where big emotions cause her to sprout the limbs of a godzilla-like monster-- or worse, actually turn into a kaiju, or monster, entirely. To protect herself, she's established herself as a loner. But now, popular boy Minami is paying attention to her, and it's obvious he gives her Big Emotions back because the kaiju is emerging more and more. How is she ever going to handle all of this?!

I was able to follow this manga pretty well, but it's not my type of story
Angela
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book quite funny. The premise is interesting, the artwork compelling. The characters, while quite different than me and therefore not really relatable, we’re understandable and the reader comes to sympathize with them. They manga was quick, fun, and easy to read. I immediately went to see if the next one was published. Alas, not yet.
Greg Noneman
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic kaiju manga

For not being into manga all that much, anything that paid tribute to the Godzilla series mixed in with high school drama and a compelling protagonist in Kuroe Akaishi whom transforms into a kaiju whenever experiencing intense emotions whom we can empathize with. Looking forward to volume 2.
Taylor Lee
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to the next volume!

Loved kaiju movies for a long time, also enjoy the slice of life mixed in. Though the relationship between the protag and love interest seems a bit tropey, "been there done that" kinda feeling. But I do recommend for kaiju and slice of life fans.
Cat T.
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly right up my alley.

A romance, coming of age, accepting yourself story where the protagonist literally turns into a giant rubber-suit monster? Where has this been all my life?! The characters are fun, the themes, while not being subtle, age timeless, the art is delightful. Recommended!
NerdyKino
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favs
Finally this anticipated read came into my possession last week and it did not disappoint. Not your average shoujo a girl who turns into a kaiju when reacting to her emotions. The shoujo aesthetic is glorious through artwork especially blushing faces. . . oh my god. This shoujo is just so fun and beyond cute, a uplifting read and one to check out if you want something different. !
Arielle
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I absolutely adore this manga! I didn't really know what to expect before I read this because it's definitely a unique story... a romance between a teenage boy and a kaiju? But I am obsessed with it! The art style is so sparkly and cute and the story is really, really cute. I've already read the first 3 volumes and cannot wait for volume 4! ...more
Chad
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first actual manga and I'm hooked. As a fan of tokusatsu this book expandes the genre into new realms, while exploring many universal humanistic themes. Simply a beautuful and imaganitive book, the artwork is truly stunning and pulls you into it's world. The bonus features at the end are a nice touch as well. I can't wait to continue the series. ...more
Joseph
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and a cute take on typical Shojo

This had me in stitches at points and also hoping the main character can navigate the (literally) monstrous task of high school life. Can’t wait for the next volume.
Deysi Gonzalez
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I really enjoy Spica Aoki mangas. Her shoujo manga have different twist to everything else. I plan of on buying physical copies of all her manga series. I love Beasts of Abigaile and like this one as well

• 薬屋のひとりごと 1 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 1] (The Apothecary Diaries [Nekokurage], #1)
  • Prince Freya, Vol. 1
  • Not Your Idol, Vol. 1
  • ショートケーキケーキ 2 (Shortcake Cake, #2)
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。 volume 10
  • Love in Focus, Vol. 1 (Love in Focus, #1)
  • ショートケーキケーキ 3 (Shortcake Cake, #3)
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。volume 8
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 2
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 7
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 4
  • Sweat and Soap, Vol. 1
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 3
  • ひるなかの流星 8 [Hirunaka no Ryuusei 8]
  • 地縛少年 花子くん 6 [Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun 6] (Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, #6)
  • ひるなかの流星 9 [Hirunaka no Ryuusei 9]
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。 volume 9

Kaiju Girl Caramelise (5 books)
  • Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 2
  • Kaiju Girl Caramelise, Vol. 3
  • 乙女怪獣キャラメリゼ 4 [Otome Kaijuu Caraméliser 4] (Kaiju Girl Caramelise, #4)
  • 乙女怪獣キャラメリゼ 5 [Otome Kaijuu Caraméliser 5] (Kaiju Girl Caramelise, #5)