Start by marking “To Dream the Blackbane” as Want to Read:
To Dream the Blackbane

To Dream the Blackbane

A cosmic event in 2015 fused Earth with the faerie realm. Scientists referred to the event as The Anomaly. A byproduct of The Anomaly was the advent of hybrid beings—people who became mixed with whatever animal or object was closest to them the moment the event occurred. Humans, or pedigrees, soon relegated fairy refugees and hybrids into ghetto zones in large cities.

Seven
Published by Between the Lines

To ask other readers questions about To Dream the Blackbane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Dream the Blackbane

Valerie -Cats Luv Coffee
ou've heard me say it before but I'm going to say it again: I love the private investigator genre, especially when it's combined with the paranormal side of things. Often called urban noir fantasy, it's probably my favorite urban fantasy subgenre. Something about the way it establishes fantasy elements in the backdrop of the city streets and turns ordinary crime into something remarkable appeals to me.

When I saw the cover of To Dream The Blackbane, I knew I had to read it. The cover looks like
Grady
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘In America there are many zones that humans and hybrids have learned to avoid.’

New Jersey author Richard J. O'Brien earned his MFA in Creative Writing form Fairleigh Dickinson University and teaches writing and literature at Stockton University and Rowan College at Gloucester County and has published nine books as well as stories in such magazines as 13 Horror, Sinister Grin Press's Vicious Circle Season One, Disturbed Digest, The Doctor T.J. Eckleburg Review, Duende, Pulp Literature, and Weird
Jessica Bronder
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seventy years ago The Anomaly happened. It blended our world with the mythical creatures from stories and blended people with objects that they were near. Wolfgang Rex, a second generation hybrid is part Rhodesian ridgeback from his father who was walking the dog when The Anomaly occurred. He used to be a police officer but now works as a private investigator.

Rex is just finished up with a case when he is approached by two vampires. It seems the scroll with the vampire history has been stolen an
John Rennie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book is good but not great.

It's a fantasy detective noir, and this is an idea that has been done many times, but O'Brien does it entertainingly. It's set in a future world where following an event called The Anomaly the supernatural has become mixed up with reality. For example the protagonist Wolfgang Rex is a human/dog hybrid born after the Anomaly caused his human father to become fused with his Rhodesian Ridgeback dog (his mother appears not to have been to fussed about this!).

T
Valery
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Richard J. O'Brien kindly includes a prologue in his book, To Dream the Blackbane: A Novel of the Anomaly. This prologue gives an extensive overview of the Anomaly itself, how it happened, how the world was partially cut off, and the resulting bizarre hybrid creatures that came to be. This sets the stage for a unique story, one that features a hard boiled private detective who is a former cop. Wolfgang Rex is a second generation hybrid, a mix of dog and man, and if you can get past that permutat ...more
Jessica Rachow
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
I saw the cover for To Dream the Blackbane, and was very compelled to read it. I love the noir-inspired, private dective feel, and honestly, the story didn’t disappoint me. It gave me exactly what I was hoping for when I read the synopsis. There’s tongue-in-cheek humor and crime, with an interesting twist of fantasy/urban fantasy elements.

I absolutely loved the world building of this novel. There is a ton of backstory and worldbuilding, that gives us a really vivid look into the types of charact
Lashaun Schauf