Start by marking “The Rocking Book of Rocks: An Illustrated Guide to Everything Rocks, Gems, and Minerals” as Want to Read:

From “What is a rock?” to dinosaur fossils and meteorites, this stunning book explores everything you ever wanted to know about rocks and minerals. With its sparkling cover, out-of-this-world artwork from Anna Alanko, and expert content written by two geologists, this is the book all rock-crazy kids need.

Rocks are all around us, from explosive volcanoes, magnificent mount
Published August 6th 2019 by Wide Eyed Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Rocking Book of Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rocking Book of Rocks

Start your review of The Rocking Book of Rocks: An Illustrated Guide to Everything Rocks, Gems, and Minerals
Toni
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I grew my first sugar crystal (with my father's help), I have been fascinated by the world of rocks! This book is a fantastic introduction into the world of geology and gemmology. Comprehensive, clear, beautifully-illustrated, well-organised- everything I could have ever asked from from a non-fiction book.
Thank you to NetGalley and Wide Eyed Edition for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.

My reviews can also be found on:
Clare O'Beara
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone could learn from and enjoy this intro to geology. Kids will love it for the brightly coloured pages and fascinating facts. From asteroids to volcanoes, sediments to dinosaurs, everyone can follow the tale of rocks. We see which types are formed by pressure and which by sedimentation, which gemstones are rock in nature and which are biological.

The illustrations make spotting and identifying rocks easy - correct terms are used, like conglomerate instead of pudding stone; but I spotted 'al
Jo
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title: The Rocking Books of Rocks
Author: Florence Bullough, Amy Ball
Publisher: Quarto Publishing Group / Wide Eyed Editions
Publish day: August 6, 2019

It's a book about rocks. From moon rocks to creation of rocks/fossils. Colorful engaging imagery with easy to read text throughout the book. Great for classroom library / or just something to get the kid in your life who loves rocks.

Thanks to Negalley / Quarto Publishing for free download in exchange for an honest review.
Anjana
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am always ready to try books for kids and have read a few non-fiction recently. I end up ordering the books for either my own shelf or for my nieces. This was no exception. Once I got down to it, I imagined the book in all its glory, with those colourful pages and really wanted to purchase it. One of my nieces actually likes rocks (or did till quite recently) and since she has just started reading I thought this would be captivating enough to get her invested in reading more for pleasure. We s ...more
Denise
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing for allowing this ARC in exchange for a honest review.

Kids love rocks. Having this book on my shelf will allow me to give quick answers to their questions about the rocks they find everywhere!

The illustrations/graphic designs in this book are colorful and creative! I am drawn to something on each page.

The capitalization of the words in the text of the words in the index...brilliant!

I can just hear the kids who love to tell you what they have learned quot
Ray
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
What a fantastic insight into rocks, (remember our world is a giant rock). This book is easy to read and full of terrific facts that are fun and enlightening. I never thought that a subject like ROCKS could command my attention, but in the literary world of phraseology this is a page turner. It is also written so gently that children will find it engaging especially with the wonderful illustrations.
Buy it.
Shannon
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book with my 8 year old son. He has been fascinated with rocks for a while so it was perfect for us. The colorful pictures made it easy to identify the rocks were were looking for and it was organized nicely. I would highly recommend to any rock lovers out there. Thank you netgalley for an ARC.
Leyla Johnson
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really interesting book for all ages, well written, easy to read and understand with great examples and explanations.
Not being familiar with formation of the different stones, except precious stones, this book was excellent and I will be more on the look out on my rambles.
Great book for kids and young adults, well illustrated.
Kristen
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book would make a great addition to any homeschooling library, teacher's classroom, and parent who knows a little budding geologist - lots of pictures and information on all different types of rocks, gemstones, and fossils!
Andréa
Feb 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Calum Fisher
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated and engagingly written introduction to all things geological. The book manages to cover a lot of ground and communicates complex subjects in remarkably concise, (crystal-)clear fashion. A geology novice, I learned a huge amount and was dazzled by the illustrations and overall design of the book, which is doubtless perfect for children but can be read and enjoyed by the geo-curious of any age.
Bradford Chaffee
Rob
Jul 23, 2020

• Red at the Bone
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • Outfox
  • Flights
  • My First Fact File Ancient Rome: Everything you Need to Know
  • Why Evergreens Keep Their Leaves
  • My First Fact File The Vikings: Everything you Need to Know
  • Thin Ice (Alaska Wild Mysteries, #1)
  • My First Fact File Oceans: Everything you Need to Know
  • The Silent Ones
  • Under Pressure: The Science of Stress
  • Science in a Jar: 35+ Experiments in Biology, Chemistry, Weather, the Environment, and More!
  • In a Jar