Start by marking “Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)” as Want to Read:
Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)

Never Dream of Dying

(Raymond Benson's Bond #5)

James Bond, 007, finally comes face to face with his most cunning nemesis-the enigmatic blind criminal mastermind behind the sinister organization known only as the Union.

"Benson's 007 is a chip off the old block." (Kirkus Reviews)

"Benson imbues his Bond with enough honor, sexual prowess and action-hero skills to please the purist and enthrall the novice." (Publishers
Mass Market Paperback, 309 pages
Published April 30th 2002 by Jove (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Never Dream of Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Dream of Dying

David
Benson’s original Bonds tend to work for me, at least better than the second 8 of Gardner. There are still (always) innumerable cliches and gratuitous sexism, but one hardly expects anything else of a 007 novel.
ShanDizzy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For this 2nd reading, I decided to listen to the audiobook. Simon Vance's narration was spot on fantastic! I picked up on subtle things which I had missed before. I truly liked this action packed Bond story where he finally gets THE UNION.
Ira Livingston
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Best of Raymond Benson yet, as Bond tackles the UNION again. Amazingly slick, bringing us the Bond of Film onto the subplot of Filmmaking within the book.

He hooks up with an actress, with some of the most graphic descriptions of sex in the Bond canon. Tai Lynn is both erotic as well as intelligent and strong, giving us a glance back toward Tracy of “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”

And to bring that even more into focus, Bond teams up with Draco, his former Father-in-law to bring down the UNI
Cindy
Dec 07, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Worst James Bond novel ever. I usually read a book all the way through even the bad ones but if it's due back to the library before I finish it so be it.* The sentence style is middle school caliber and Bond's thoughts and actions are totally inconsistent with his personality. Nobody ever said Bond books were realistic but this one takes the cake on plot holes.

*Update: I did finish it. Read the last 180ish pages the night before it was due. It didn't get much better. In fact, it often got worse.
Carson
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Something Raymond Benson does quite effectively is weave his stories through the tapestries of the Fleming lore and this story is no different, albeit in a more poignant and controversial way. He treads on sacred ground here, but does it respectfully though I still am not 100% sure how I feel about it.

That said, right up until the chilling conclusion, this one navigates through interesting terrain - that of the subconscious and nearly superhuman - but does it in a realistic way, integrating fami
Billie
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this adventure of James Bond. Thought it was entertaining that his former Father-in-Law was brought back for one final gambit. Bond was more action hero than spy but kept my interest. Not as many gadgets more of a look at Bond as a well trained operative doing what needs to be done.
Clem
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
It is now official: Rayond Benson writes James Bond books better than Ian Fleming. O.K., O.K., that’s just my opinion, but it’s one I hold steadfast. This was the fifth of Benson’s six Bond novels, and the majority of them have been terrific page turners. I use the term “page turner” quite literally. The action moves quite fast in Benson’s novels, yet he packs them full of adventure.

Not everyone enjoys Benson’s style, however. If you read some reviews from readers on Amazon, you’ll note that t
Rick
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-bond, espionage
While I don't know if I can say this is the worst Bond novel I've read, it is certainly among them. Benson is pretty much just phoning it in at this point. The plot is fine, some old faces pop up again (which was cool) and it is pretty fast paced. But the problems are rampant. Bond acts like a love-sick school boy, maybe he's having a mid-life crisis. But if that's the case Benson certainly doesn't develop that at all. The writing is terse, but uninspired. Maybe Benson was just hurrying to reach ...more
Paul Williams
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Benson concludes his triology about the Union, in a way that pays homage to the original Bond novels and that detracts from the end product. There was no need to bring back Rene Mathis and Marc-Ange Draco. The revelations about Draco are not surprising, being too well signposted, and deny a final confronation with the real villain. Also, unlike the originals, far too much of the story is told from the viewpoint of the supporting characters.
Jonathan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Never Dream of Dying fleshes out the Union to its fullest extent. Coupled with a return of some characters from the Fleming days, the story is one of the most well rounded for the Benson Bond stories. It's filled with haunting regret for both Bond and his former father-in-law. The pacing is perfect for the project pursued. And the action is about as iconic as you'd expect from a 007 story.
John Yelverton
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
The mystery story itself was good. What I cannot abide was the horrible treatment of not one but two characters created by Ian Fleming, and their horrible mistreatment in this novel by Raymond Benson.
Wes87
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
a rather good/wild story. read it only twice years back. rather long. but hell its bond, james bond people.
Mark Welton
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable. Rattled through it quickly, quite a page turner. Rumour is the next Bond film will be based on this, although I can't see how they can merge this with the end of Spectre myself!
Dave
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
James Bond novels tend to be hit or miss. The Ian Fleming books are classics and I enjoyed the John Gardner books. This story was fast paced and had some good set pieces.
Raza Mustafa
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just a regular spy story. Predictable.
Johnny
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
When Raymond Benson introduces Never Dream of Dying with a joint counter-terrorist operation between the French D. G. S. E. and Bond’s SIS goes wrong and plenty of innocents are killed, it offers plenty of verisimilitude. It sounds very much like the intelligence agencies in the U.S. government that seem to have ignored cues that might have held off 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombing. Even in the novel, it seems like the agencies got something wrong. Unfortunately for the fictional world in wh ...more
Wyatt
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 007-james-bond
A satisfying finale to Benson's "Union Trilogy" following High Time to Kill and Doubleshot. Le Gerant makes for a convincing Bond villain; Benson will also delight some (and enrage others) by bringing back some of Bond's 'old friends' from the Fleming era, as he has done in some previous novels (like Felix Leiter). These nods to the past have a major impact on the story, so I won't spoil anything by discussing them here.

I continue to be impressed both by Benson's handle on the character's think
Steve Mitchell
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Raymond Benson's seventh addition to the James Bond novels is actually the finale of the trilogy that pits the hero against the Union. I think this is one of the better Bond novels; it lacks the plot holes that Ian Fleming never bothered to fill and does not go for too many twists in the plot that made many of John Gardner's book a bit of a drag.
After coming so close to finishing off the Union in the previous book Bond is continuing his hunt. M feels that maybe the trail has run cold and Bond wo
Martyn Perry
And I've finally crawled over the finish line (life is simply too busy at the moment to read a book in a sensible time frame).

Benson's Bond returns in the final chapter of The Union saga as Bond sets out to disband the new SPECTRE once and for all.

In the main, the story is enjoyable enough, with sufficient action and plot to sustain interest. It won't however, go down as one of the more memorable Bond books.

There's nothing original here, Benson returning to tried and tested formula for this nov
Read1000books
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-novels
Raymond Benson was the third author to take over the novelization of the James Bond character, following Bond's creator Ian Fleming, and John Gardner. This particular novel was quite predictable, very slow getting to the main story, and had way too much unnecessary, even explicit, sexual content. I'm being generous in giving it two stars.
John
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is the first (and only, so far) Bond book I've read by any author other than Ian Fleming. As the two star rating suggests, it was just O.K. But I imagine I'll get around to reading the other Benson Bond books, as well as John Gardener's contributions to the Bond mythos, because, well.. it's Bond, James Bond.
Mark Hiser
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Following the Formula for a Bond story, Benson wrote a fun--but not fresh--story of Bond, a beautiful woman, diabolical foes, and exotic locales. A pleasant enough novel for those times when you might like a little mindless diversion.
David Garcia
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read it in 3 days! Couldn't wait to get home to read it! This should be a movie! My favorite of the Benson Bond books I've read.
Richard Harden
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
While you always know essentially how a Bond book must end, there was enough of a twist to the ending of this one to deserve mention.
Dennis
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this a while ago, thought I would read it again. I guess I wish there were more Fleming books. Oh well pretty good, worth a read.
Samuel
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
This shows how bored I am, reduced to reading mediocre James Bond novels...
Tom
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not quite Fleming but good plotting, action and a wonderful version of Bond. Always up for a good adventure and Benson tells a good tale.
Roy
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Raymond Bensons 5th Bond original story and the 3rd and Final Union story . He finally comes face to face with the leader of the outfit.
The Professor
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
“Never Dream Of Dying” completes the “Union Trilogy” set of Benson novels and is almost the last of the old school set of continuation novels, the ones Kingsley Amis slated as Not Bond and which no one in their right mind would champion as great literature. Formally published fan fiction, some might say, and not exactly gourmet fan fiction at that. But is it worth reading? Certainly. Passes the time most enjoyably. In fact reading the Raymond Benson Bond spin-off novels for the first time, the s ...more
Jay
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, not one of the better Bond books but still good.

• Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Heads You Die (Young Bond, #7)
  • Solo
Raymond Benson is the author of nearly 40 titles. Among his works are the critically-acclaimed and New York Times best-selling serial THE BLACK STILETTO, and he was also the third--and first American--continuation author of the official James Bond 007 novels. His latest novels are IN THE HUSH OF THE NIGHT and THE SECRETS ON CHICORY LANE.

Raymond Benson's Bond (6 books)
  • Zero Minus Ten
  • The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)
  • High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3)
  • Doubleshot (James Bond, #4)
  • The Man With the Red Tattoo (Raymond Benson's Bond, #6)