Start by marking “In Her Eyes” as Want to Read:
In Her Eyes

In Her Eyes

You're at home with your family. You think you're safe. You're wrong...

Ava's life is the kind other people envy: loving husband; great kids; beautiful house. Until the night that a violent home invasion plunges her world into chaos.

In the aftermath of the attack, Ava needs answers to two questions. Who has targeted her family? And why?

But things aren't adding up. She is

Published November 14th 2019 by Mulholland Books

To ask other readers questions about In Her Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Her Eyes

Start your review of In Her Eyes
Amanda
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ava and successful husband Robert live in their mansion with her 12 year old daughter June, stepson Gene lives in an apartment over the garage. Their eldest daughter Hannah is studying in New York.

When armed men break into their house, leaving Ava and Robert injured and June fighting for her life,
Ava will stop at nothing to find out who and why her family were attacked so violently.

This is not a straight forward burglary gone wrong, there are lots of twists that will keep you hooked and this
Mark
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

Brilliant start
Possibly so good it was never then going to replicate throughout
Ava is just out of the shower when she hears screaming, her family are the victims of a ‘home invasion’ and its scary stuff, literally heart pounding as the scene is described word for word in terrifying detail, the husband and 1 daughter are left hospitalised and Ava forever mentally scarred, 2 other adultish children fight their own demons as well as trying to cope with all that has happened
But who did this to
Louise Wilson
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ava leads a privileged life. She lives in a big house in California, money is no object and her husband is handsome. But things haven't been easy for her either. Her daughter has just recovered from having cancer and her stepson smoked pot in their guest house. But her perfect life is shattered one night she was assaulted in her home after a burglary. Her ex, Nate is the investigating officer.

There are so many red herrings in this addictive read. I was guessing like crazy ut I eventually got it
Darinda
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ava, her husband, and her teen daughter are home one night during a home invasion. The burglary turns violent, leaving Ava's daughter fighting for survival in the hospital. Ava soon realizes the attack was not random. She delves into her family's lives to find out who the attackers were. It seems everyone in the family has been keeping secrets, including Ava.

A fast-paced and exciting mystery. What started as a night out, ended with a violent home invasion. Ava soon realizes she needs to find out
Mandy White
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise for this book was different and had me intrigued. When they say it is unputdownable, for this book it was absolutely true. I read this very quickly, desperately needing to know what was going to happen to the characters and why. Having read previous books by this author I was expecting a good story but I wasn't ready for this addictive roller coaster ride. I thought that early on I had it all worked out and I am happy to say that I was wrong. This is an extremely twisty thriller ...more
Selena
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free e-copy of In Her Eyes by Sarah Alderson from NetGalley for my honest review.

Ava has it all. She has the am amazingly handsome husband , two beautiful children and an amazing home. Things take a very quick and disturbing turn when their home is invaded and their daughter is in the hospital in a coma barely surviving.

Ava will stop at nothing to figure out who did this and why. A thrilling book filled with twists, turns and lots of secrets and lies.

Shelby
Ava appears to have it all: 2 beautiful daughters, a husband she adores, a spacious home. When Ava looks at other couples struggling, she thanks her lucky stars for the family she has. But when two masked burglars break into her home, all that changes.

Now her 12-year old daughter, June, is in a coma, barely living. And Ava feels like her world is falling apart around her. The lead detective on the case happens to be a high school fling of hers named Nate and Ava feels both comfort and
Pauline
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
In Her Eyes by Sarah Alderson was a thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat. It had so many twists and turns it left me dizzy. I was so engrossed in this story that I read the book in one sitting.
Ava's life is turn upside down when intruders enter her house intending to rob her.
This incident leaves her husband badly beaten, Ava in hospital with a head injury and her twelve year old daughter fighting for her life.
Ava will stop at nothing to find out why this has happened to her family.
This
Jannelies
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the first part of the book but at something of two-thirds I almost gave up. I noticed my thoughts wandering while reading. A story with twists and turns is fine; a story with so many twists and turns that turns the story hard to follow is not fine.
I gave it three stars because I could see what the author wanted to give her readers. It was just a bit too much for me.

Thanks to Netgalley for this digital review copy.
Bridget
I am a Sarah Alderson novice and I was so impressed with this outstanding psychological thriller, although I have had another of this fabulous author’s books - Friends Like These - on my Kindle for a while. The premise of In Her Eyes beckoned to me and I knew that I had to read this novel!

In Her Eyes definitely did not disappoint. It had everything I would expect from a psychological thriller - a great plot, well-drawn characters and terrific pacing.

Even though I have read quite a few books
Shalini
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic thriller which had me longing for more.

The premise was so different. The beginning chapter blew me away. Ava apparently led a great life with family, children, stepson. A home invasion changed it all. Daughter went into coma and the family destroyed. Ava needed to get to the truth. Secrets were revealed which broke her trust.

My first book by this author, and I was simply enthralled with the writing. I had to get to the truth so tapping on my kindle was at a rapid pace.
Donna Hines
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
When an entire life is built upon lies what do you do?
Ava feels life is perfect but soon that precious perfection is shattered by reality and a bump on the head.
Her husband is in trouble, in debt, and was recently arrested on robbery charges.
Her daughter June is struggling for her life in a coma.
Her other daughter Hannah is an academic success while her stepson Gene is told not to leave the house.
It couldn't be a more mismatched scenario all while the home invasion has left this family torn in
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
I really enjoyed this book. It was creative, well thought out and well written. I loved how each chapter ended leaving me not able to stop there. The characters were real and fully developed. I shared their fears, joys, suspicions, betrayal, hope, goodness, and lies...you cannot trust anyone. This story absorbed all of my senses. The emotions of each character whether they were in the whole story or only a page or two was written so well that I felt like I was watching the story instead of ...more
Michelle
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ava seems to have the perfect life, Husband, great kids, lives in a big house with no money worries. Some of her friends are jealous of the life she lives. But everything is not as it seems. Her husband has been distant and has locked himself in his office. Her daughter has had Cancer but is now in remission and Stepson Gene lives in an apartment over the garage and smokes pot.
When one day Ava comes home to find Armed men in her house. Ava follows one of the men upstairs as he brings her
Joanne Robertson
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow is what I thought as soon as I finished reading In Her Eyes! What a fabulously fast and furious rollercoaster ride this book was! With twists and turns around every corner, it was driving me mad that I couldn’t work out exactly who was responsible for the break-in at the Walkers home or why? I trusted no one as everyone seemed to be keeping some pretty big secrets but were any of those secrets dangerous enough to kill for?

Ava has a life most people would kill for anyway! She has a
Clare
NetGalley

With thanks to Netgalley and Hodder and Staughton for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Ava lived a life of luxury with husband Robert, daughter June and stepson Gene. A year earlier June had been diagnosed with cancer, after being given a trial drug she recovered and returned to school. Gene had taken drugs as a teenager until Ava and Robert found out. After showing an interest in cooking, Ava was surprised when Gene got a job working in a kitchen.

One evening Robert
Nan Williams
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
This novel of suspense had a terrific start – it grabbed me from page one and kept me turning pages. It grabbed hold of my emotions with the 12 year old in a coma. The “why” kept me turning pages as did the intensity of the plot line and it did move in a straight forward time line which I always appreciate.

About half way through the story devolved into lies and secrets so if that’s your genre, you’d really like this one. The characters changed their hats (from white to black to white and back to
Keith Chawgo
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alderson’s first novel for a mature audience is a definite page turner with many surprises in store. It tells the story of a woman trapped in a nightmare after a break-in leaving the youngest daughter in a coma as her life rapidly unravels.

Alderson’s new novel is a crowd pleaser which moves at a rapid pace and doesn’t really slow down until the end. Keeping the reader engrossed and entertained as the plot unwinds is one of the things that really work with this book. There are times that we think
Kelly Smale
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of twists and turns, just when you think you've sussed someone or something out you're proven wrong.
How well do you really know your family? How many lies can one family have?
This book is written from Ava's point of view, and her struggle to find out how June, her daughter, ended up in hospital after a burglary that had gone terribly wrong.
Ava is on mission, and does her own detective work as to why they were targeted in the first place, but finds her family have a lot of
Melissa
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solidly good psychological suspense!
Started off with an exciting incident and had many twists and turns from there. I really don't like armchair detecting, so a few points off for Ava going investigating on her own, but overall this is a well-written tale. A couple of things I didn't see coming, which I love in a good suspense novel.
Very fast-paced, I finished it in less than a day. If you like psychological suspense, this is a great choice.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this
Honestmamreader
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What starts off as a house burglary quickly descends into a life changing night for Ava Walker and her family. I don't usually read a book in one sitting, but this was so easy to read in one go (and given I had the peace and quiet to do) it was like a film. And the tension kept mounting as each chapter passed. This story makes us wonder how well do we know the people around us? And, those little white lies people tell can surely escalate. So what lies do the Walker family hold? I'll tell you but ...more
Dana
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
My first Sarah Alderson book and definitely will not be my last! In Her Eyes is a wild ride. This was SO well done. Extremely well developed characters, strong storyline and all the twists and turns I crave in a thriller. This book kept me guessing until the very last page.

Huge thank you to NetGalley for my review copy!
Debbie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book. Review to come closer to publication date.
Nicole ☠ "psychological" thrill me❗
I LOVED this thriller!! Pulls you in from the very beginning and does not let go. So unputdownable that i read it in one sitting. Full of so many twists and turns with an ending that will definitely surprise you. Very enjoyable characters and razor shape writing, this book is a must read!

Thank you netgalley and the publishers for an arc in exchange for my honest review.
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
A fantastic thrill-ride the whole way through. Sarah Alderson sets a steady mood of trepidation and mystery surrounding a well-paced plot. Overall, the characters are dynamic and well-crafted. Some of the cast does get favored more in expansion than the others which results in a minor disconnect to those characters specifically, leaving some open-ended questions. However, this is trivial and rather than pulling from the plot, it seems to create more of an emotional attachment to the primary ...more
Amy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Firstly I would like to thank NetGalley for providing me an eARC copy of this book. All opinions and views discussed here are my own.

I really wanted to enjoy this book but for me the "twists" just seemed obvious and the last few pages really ruined the book for me and knocked it down to two stars whereas before I probably would have rated it three stars. I just found the overall plot to be unrealistic and far-fetched, and as things happened I just felt they were unbelievable.

I'd guessed pretty
Trish Edwards
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fast paced book full of twists and turns. Maybe a few too many for my liking. I’m a huge fan of the big twist that comes out of nowhere and knocks your socks off but I felt this book just had lots of little ones scattered throughout which sort of distracted me from the bigger reveals.
I’d still recommend it, though. The plot is great. An innocent family targeted in a home invasion that leaves a twelve year old girl fighting for her life and a mother desperate to find answers.
Also, I
Alexa
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into In Her Eyes cold--I'd had it on my Kindle from NetGalley and couldn't remember which book is was--and pulled it up to read just a bit to see if I liked it. Welp, 24 hours later, I finished. It was a compulsive, compelling read. I loved Alderson's writing so much I immediately purchased her previous book on Kindle--that almost never happens for me. Stamp of approval.

Even knowing nothing about the premise I could see the intrigue piling up in the opening chapters--family members
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 out of 5 stars

Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton Book and Netgalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ava is living the kind of life most people would love. She is married to a successful tech multi millionaire has a step son and two lovely daughters until one evening when everything changes.. Shortly after arriving home from picking up her 12 year old daughter June from a friend's house she goes upstairs to shower only to hear a
Latkins
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gripping thriller following Ava, whose life begins to crumble in the wake of an intrusion into her house. Ava is in her early 40s and lives in a mansion in California, with her husband, Robert, who has recently made a lot of money through his app development. They have two daughters – Hannah, who is at college in New York, and June, who is 12 years old and has just beaten cancer. Robert’s son Gene also lives in his own apartment within their home. One evening, two masked men appear in ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Other Mrs.
  • The Other Daughter
  • The Perfect Widow
  • Degrees of Guilt
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Family
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Gone
  • The Marriage Trap
  • Date Night
  • The Lies We Hide
  • The Guilty Mother
Having spent most of her life in London, Sarah quit her job in the non profit sector in 2009 and took off on a round the world trip with her husband and princess-obsessed daughter on a mission to find a new place to call home. After several months in India, Singapore, Australia and the US, they settled in Bali where they lived for five years.

She finished her first novel, Hunting Lila (winner of