Jump to ratings and reviews

The Heart of Everything

The ultimate story of redemption . . .
Meet Emer. She’s normal. That is, until a chance encounter turns her life upside-down. One minute she’s hunting for a job; the next, she’s catching bullets and being kidnapped.
Emer discovers that she is actually a reincarnated elf priestess and finds herself involved with Alex, a vampire, and Jesse, the son of the devil himself. Both claim to have loved her in centuries past; Jesse even goes so far as to insist that the salvation of his human soul rests in her hands.
As Emer struggles to harness her new powers, she finds herself torn: between her two handsome kidnappers, between a past she doesn’t remember and a future she’s just starting to figure out, between a man who’s depending on her and her own insecurities. When sinister forces come into play and her magic goes on the fritz, Emer must come to terms with who she is and decide what she wants before it’s too late . . .

268 pages, Paperback

Published November 12, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lynn Wallace

2 books26 followers
Lynn Wallace is a born-and-raised Texan. She graduated from Baylor University with a Bachelor of Science in nursing, but along the way realized that writing was her true passion. Currently she lives with her husband, who cooks fantastic meals, and her young son, who creates fantastic messes but makes up for it by being adorable. When not lost in the wilds of her own imagination, she works part time as a registered nurse in surgery. Her other hobbies include reading, listening to music, cleaning the house, and chasing the toddler.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Hairi.
152 reviews12 followers
August 13, 2020
I am thankful to the author for entrusting this book to me for an honest review. So here it.
I loved this book so much. It is a fantasy book, yet one can relate to it in so many ways. The concept of love is explained so precise and beautifully that you would love it instantly.
The main character, Emer was so good and I could relate to her in many aspects. In the beginning, she was struggling to get a job, was going through a lot rejections, having disappointment, was tired and exhausted. She felt so ordinary and valueless that it made me so sad for her. She didn't know she was so precious. She had such a kind, forgiving and beautiful heart. I don't mean she was perfect, because if she were, I wouldn't be able to relate to her (right?). Her flaws are what can make you feel you can relate to her.
Jesse was half-devil but if you try to understand him, he had such a pure and kind heart. The way he could go to any length to save those he cared for, was so heart touching. He was in constant agony and self-loathing because of the mistakes he made in the past. It was so heart-breaking to see him struggling so hard.
Alex, was such a great friend. That is the kind of rare friendship that one would like to have and experience it. What happened to him in the end made me so sad. I wish something could be done for his salvation. But we can't get everything perfect, can we?
The beauty of this novel that although it is a fantasy novel, still it portrays human so beautifully without being too harsh. I found it beautiful and wonderful. All humans look for is acceptance and forgiveness. It takes a lot of hell to make one realize the value of a normal and ordinary life. I think these two points were the lessons of this novel along with few other things.
The only thing that I didn't like about the book is its love triangle.
Some quotes that I liked in the book:
'And once we find our center,
we are no longer on our own.
for with life's faithful turning,
none should go alone.'
'the concept that simply having degree will get you a job, is completely obsolete.'
'unfortunately, you can only go with the flow while the river is running smoothly. Once you hit rough waters, you have to start swimming hard and fast.......'
'You are the spark that remains when all other lights have gone dark.'
...that nothing lasts forever, that we are still mortal, and someday, like the sun, our own time will set and disappear into the black.'
I just loved this novel. the simplicity of this novel is what makes it so good and wonderful. This novel proves that you don't have to make your story complicated in order to pass as a good novel. I highly recommend it to everyone. Even if you are not a fantasy lover, you should still give it a try.
May 28, 2021
So this was a entertaining story for me. But above all this was a story of faith, hope, and love in it's purest form. Emer, Jesse, and Alex had really good interaction. Where the story falls short for me is when Alex is sort of forgotten when Emer goes to save Jesse. I'm a sucker for happiness, so I hope the author caves in and gives us a story on Alex finding his own happiness. Overall, this story was nicely written.
Profile Image for Violet Perry (Just a Bookish Blog).
324 reviews252 followers
June 17, 2021
~First of all, I would like to say a huge thank you to the author, for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review!~
Ok, this was an awesome book. I just sat down and read it in a few hours and I just could not put it down. And yes, I know it was an insta-love kind of story, but it was written in a way that it didn't feel like one.
The whole romance was interesting, not only because there was a love triangle between a reincarnated elf priestess, half demon, and vampire, but the guys had both fallen in love with previous reincarnations of the priestess that the MC doesn't remember. Even though it might sound weird, it was great.
The Heart of Everything had, well, everything you'd want in a book. It made me laugh, (want to) cry, and "bite my nails" in anticipation.
Even though the ending was a super sweet "happily ever after", I'm really sad because I know there won't be a sequel! *tears*
I definitely recommend this book to all!
~Full Review To Come~
32 reviews1 follower
May 28, 2020
3 stars

“She left a large hole behind, and I didn’t want to be responsible for filling it.”

The Heart of Everything revolves around Emer who is an ‘ordinary’ girl as she traverses the truth of her existence and ‘past.’ She was kidnapped or ‘rescued’ by two supernatural creatures who actually shared some part of her past, which also explains the part that there is an insta-love. The story also revolves around the character of Emer’s two kidnappers who will also be her love-interests, establishing the love-triangle in the book, which will also deeply affect the plot. It has a slow-paced setup but later quickens as the story progresses. This book is character-centered and might dissuade some readers who are really interested in the plot. It has satisfying ending, Lynn Wallace has good writing style, and the language veers off to easier spectrum so it’s easy to read and the story’s easy to pick up, so I recommend this to new fantasy readers. This also reminds me of the themes of the Fallen series by Lauren Kate, and surely would be appealing to that same readers.
The book has a lighter tone in it, and there’s definitely no sexual nor profane language used, and no adult balderdash going on, so personally I think this would have better impact if it is marketed in YA readers.
Profile Image for Sawarak.
11 reviews
June 20, 2020
At the beginning of the book (Chapter 1-2), I really enjoyed and was hooked at the start. I like how the author described the protagonist's life. Emer Starling's life is boring and normal. She never experience something interesting or exciting. It made me wonder what will happen in the next page. But, when the truth came out and she met the two good looking men, one is a vampire and another is a half devil. I think the story goes quite slow. The author used around first hundred pages of the book to make the three of them to know each other with ordinary situations. For me, who has high expectation at the start of the book I feel bored a bit. After first hundred pages, the story goes better and more exciting.
I like the relationship between three of them, [Emer, Jess (half devil) and Alex (vampire)] even it is a triangle love relationship like other books. There's friendship between them and they work as a team.
I suggest this book for the readers who love fantasy, and interested in story about complicated love between a girl and two immortal boys.
Profile Image for Chris.
76 reviews
July 5, 2020
I wrote this review based on a copy of the book sent to me by the author.
The Heart of Everything by Lynn Wallace was an encapsulating story. I enjoyed the characters very much and the connections between the very distant past and the present that she provided were very interesting. The settings that she developed for the story to take place in were well developed and felt magical. This story has what I would imagine a twilight vibe would feel like (even though I've never read Twilight.) And I greatly enjoyed the Christian lore she wove into the story. I felt that some of the conflicts in the story were solved a little too conveniently and I wish they could have been solved with a little more work than Alex just showing up and saving them. However, I found the ending of be extremely satisfying and felt that everything was wrapped up nicely. While it took me a little while to get my bearings in this book once I did I read almost all of it in just 1 day. I would rate this book 4/5 stars
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Briana Deleon.
2 reviews1 follower
July 18, 2020
I think it was enjoyable, but at some points confusing but that was just me. I think it's definitely worth the read though. It's also not expensive to invest in for how good it is!
Profile Image for Ania.
68 reviews5 followers
August 27, 2020
I am so glad i was able to choose this book to review and thanks to Ms Lynn Wallace for making that happen and also for writing such a dark and beautiful story ! Honestly the amount of quotes used in this book are endless and as a quotes person i really loved that and I'll be using the ones i learned whenever i talk with people !

I loved the characteristics and personalities of Jesse and Alex , a vampire and a half human and half devil ! And even though they are assumed to be Bad for the things they have done in the past ! the way they cared for the main protagonist was shocking to me at least .

Emer , our protagonist is simply looking for a job yet her simple life even though hard life turns around with all the supernatural events in a way i wonder how she copes with it ! As they say there is no running from the past ! Her past keeps hunting her and she knows nothing about it for the time being which later on she finds out through the course of the story

Everything about this Story was great and i recommend it to those who are fans of gothic relationships!
July 10, 2020
I received this book from the author in exchange for a honest review. I enjoyed reading this book from the beginning. It was descriptive. The story is about a love triangle. I personally love vampire stories, and if you do as well, I suggest you give it a read and you will enjoy it. If you enjoy the fantasy genre, then this is a great book to read. Happy reading....
Profile Image for Mariel.
222 reviews9 followers
June 7, 2020
The Heart of Everything by Lynn Wallace
I wrote this review based on a copy that the author sent me.
At the start of the book we meet Emer Starling, relatively short and fairly skinny who lives in Boulder, Colorado. After refusing to heed her mother’s advice to become a nurse after college, she currently spends her days handing out résumé after résumé in the never-ending quest for employment.
At the age of 22 and never having had a real boyfriend, she considers herself a basically ordinary, everyday kind of person, that no one would ever give a second glance to…but repetitive déjà-vu, lightning reflexes and weird dreams like looking through shadows leave a reminiscent feeling as if watching someone else’s memories…
After passing one of her usual job-hunting days, lost in thought and minding her own business, a skinny man with stringy brown hair appears out of nowhere. WIth a crazy gleam in his eyes whilst waving a gun around he notices Emer and pulls the trigger. After the split second feeling of panic, she raises her hands and the bullet stops in mid-air, but not before the surrounding melee of people have witnessed the event as it happened…and then she fainted.
When she regained consciousness, she experienced an incredible floating feeling, as if flying, speeding through the air and realises she is being held by THE most handsome male she has ever seen who is running with her in his arms. Enter Jesse, a blond Adonis, half devil/half human and his partner in crime, Alex, a raven-haired equally stunning vampire who carries himself with an aura of style beyond compare. If it has to happen, what could be better than to be kidnapped by the equivalent of two male models?
In twenty-four hours Emer passes from potentially homeless to almost getting shot, kind-of getting kidnapped, chased by the cops, ending with two guys declaring their love for her and fighting over it!
“ It was at this point I decided that knights-in-shining-armor fighting over a damsel ( who was definitely on the distressed side ) was not nearly all that it was cracked up to be”. Their story unfolds and Emer learns they are both approximately 1,500 years old as they begin the uphill struggle to firstly convince Emer who and what they are and more importantly exactly who she is - the reincarnation of an elven priestess. Could this explain the dreams she has been having all her life?
I was hooked from page one, I’m a pushover whenever a vampire is involved and even though Alex and Jesse are obviously two very capable, dangerous individuals like Emer has never come across before, there is the feeling of trust and safety running deep even after being told they were half human/devil and a vampire, two immortals with nothing else to do but wait for the next chance to find her through time. She is faced with the overwhelming decision thrust upon her of having to choose either one of them which thrilled her but at the same time terrified her if they killed one another because of it.
My overall thoughts on this book: I loved this book from the beginning to the end. It didn’t go exactly how I thought it would and to be honest I have no idea how Emer could possibly even begin to make a choice between the two, as they are both hopelessly besotted with her and obsessed with her well-being. I have to admit I found myself secretly backing Alex but as I said, I’m a sucker for a vampire – excuse the pun! Lynn Wallace describes with emotion the desperation of Jesse and Alex as they try to recall the memories of Emer’s previous incarnations to her, as they both have their own memories in their past of the Priestess but neither wishing to force them onto her.
I give The Heart of Everything 5 out of 5 stars and to end with a beautiful quote from the book “ the end of a day, like the end of a good book, brings with it the reminder that nothing lasts forever, that we are still mortal, and some day, like the sun, our own time will set and disappear into the black. “
Profile Image for Kathryn.
60 reviews2 followers
August 3, 2020
Many thanks to Lynn Wallace and Booktasters for providing a copy of this book for an honest review. The Heart of Everything is a story of love, forgiveness, and redemption.

Emer Starling lives an ordinary and boring life. At twenty-two, she is seeking work, going from place to place handing out resumes. Heading home after another fruitless day, she is caught in the chaos of a robbery when a gunshot goes off. Noticing the bullet heading in her direction, she catches the bullet, using the power she was becoming more aware of, and faints. When she awakes, she finds herself in the arms of an attractive blond-haired man named Jesse who says he has been waiting for her for six-hundred years.

Evading police, he is waiting for his backup to arrive, his equally handsome, calm, and cool as a cucumber dark-haired vampire friend and companion, Alex. Like something out of a fairytale, Emer learns that both men are immortal. The possessive, hot-headed, and boorish Jesse is a Viking and half-devil son of the Devil. He and Alex knew Emer in her previous life as a powerful Elven Priestess.

Both are in love with her, Alex falling in love with her previous incarnation Cecilia. Jesse, who lost her before, says she has the power to restore his soul. Emer has a tough choice to make between the two handsome men though, from the start, you know who she will choose.

With an engaging and descriptive writing style, Lynn Wallace keeps you on your toes as the love triangle intensifies and the danger.

Though the story wraps with the Epilogue, I had questions of what became of Alex when Emer made her inevitable choice and how did Jesse feel about the severing of his centuries-long friendship with the ancient vampire. The Heart of Everything was a fantastic character study of how far one will go for the person they love and the risks they will take. Five stars, I recommend adding this story to your collection.
Profile Image for Mark.
2 reviews
September 24, 2020
I loved your book, The Heart of Everything. It was a real page turner. I am looking forward to your next book.
2 reviews
September 29, 2020
LOVE this book!!
This is a story that is like no other! It’s page turning and mind reeling! This story is right up my alley. Action, suspense, romance, comedy and drama, this book has it all!!! The story is so vividly written that I could see it being played out in my mind as I read it like a movie! Love, love, LOVE this book!!! Can’t wait for the next one!!
Profile Image for Sarah Walters.
20 reviews
May 26, 2020
I loved it. From start to finish you became involved with the characters. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would all turn out. I can’t wait to read more from this author.
Profile Image for Lynn Wallace.
Author 2 books26 followers
Currently reading
September 7, 2020
This story is a "paranormal romance with a Christian twist" ;-). It features a love triangle between a vampire, a reincarnated elf priestess, and the son of the devil. It's funny, it's exciting, and it showcases how faith is stronger than magic!

You can read a teaser on my website: http://www.lynnwallaceauthor.com/book...

Available in both print and digital editions at the following websites:

Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.