Start by marking “Bruce Lee” as Want to Read:
Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee

(Pequeña & Grande)

In this book from the critically acclaimed, multimillion-copy best-selling Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of Bruce Lee, the martial artist and Hollywood film star.

Born in San Francisco but raised in Hong Kong, Bruce Lee was the child star of Hong Kong cinema. But, after getting into trouble as a teenager, his father sent him to live in America. Starri
Published July 30th 2019 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Bruce Lee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruce Lee

Start your review of Bruce Lee
Literary Soirée
I adore Quarto’s Little People, BIG DREAMS series for children, and the latest on martial artist-actor Bruce Lee is a great addition.

TROUBLED TEEN
Recounts his raising in Hong Kong, where his father was a film star, and how he was sent to the U.S. after getting into trouble as a teen.

THRILLING NICHE
Lee had difficulty getting roles as an Asian actor, so parlayed his martial arts skills into a thrilling niche. Includes fun illustrations, with a life timeline, super pics and detailed biographical
Kristy K
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2019, arc
Things I didn't know about Bruce Lee: he was a childhood actor in China, he was a master at the cha-cha, and he studied philosophy. This is why I love this series. Even as an adult you can learn something.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Emma
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

This series is always a joy to read, it’s a really nice introduction to well known people for little children. Of course the plot is always a little bit fast but that’s to be expected and it’s totally understandable.
This one is all about Bruce Lee and how he became the king of kung fu movies. It was very nice to learn that he's also very skilled in other arts, as for example the cha-cha-cha dance.
La Coccinelle
This picture-book biography of Bruce Lee is just okay. While it taught me a lot I didn't know before about the man, it also had a lot of repetition, and left out the aspect of his life that is almost universally known: his untimely death.

I've noticed this trend with other books in the series. Sometimes they're sanitized to the point that they don't even seem to represent the person in question.

Often, I glean more from the little timeline at the back of these books than from the text itself. In t
Janet
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Part of the critically acclaimed Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of Bruce Lee, the martial artist and Hollywood film star.

Karschtl
This series of little biographies is intended for small children, but to be honest - I find the books quite interesting as well, and so I read some of them about people that are actually so famous that almost everyone knows their names but further than that know next to nothing about them.

In this one, for example, I learned that Bruce Lee was from a privileged background (and not from a poor slum as I somehow expected), he loved dancing and martial arts but had problems with basically every othe
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
Another their great instalment of little people, these books are so inspirational for little and big people, great to read together and sometimes the big people learn too

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Etienne
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this collection so much and again a great book about an important person for the martial art and also pop culture. I love the artwork as well! Good job!
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is there not to like?

Recommended: yessir
For kiddos, any and all. Also interesting to learn more about Bruce Lee, even as an adult! Great series for a young classroom, or for introducing a child to reading as well as to ideas and pathways available to them in life.

Thoughts:
The illustrations are each a full two-page spread, with bright bold colors and simple design (perfect for children!). The details in each spread bring his story to life, like the photo of his parents on the wall of his act
Martina
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

The ‘My First Little People, Big Dreams’ series provides informative and inspirational biographies about people who left a mark on this earth, no matter what difficulties they have encountered.
These stories are very short, but that’s because they’re books for children, so it’s totally understandable.
I think they are a very smart and wonderful way to introduce little children to such important figure
Jo Cameron-Symes
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lindsay
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I actually learned about Bruce Lee while reading this to the kiddos. Another forthcoming book in the Little People Big Dreams series, this one focuses on Bruce Lee. Did you know he taught Cha Cha, or that his father was a famous opera singer? These books highlight working hard and having dreams, they show what happens when you don’t quit. I love reading these to my kids and will continue to do so. I received a free review copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest unedited feedback.
Bashar
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book because he was a fighter
Annie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Bruce Lee is a new biography for young readers in the Little People, Big Dreams series. I've reviewed a number of these titles and all of them are delightful and exuberant little books which cover the lives of famous cultural, science, arts, and innovation icons while maintaining an age-appropriate level of detail.

Released 30th July 2019 from Quarto on their Frances Lincoln imprint, it's 32 pages and available in hardcover, and ebook formats.

W
Myndi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Original review can be found on my blog: Mad Book Love

In this edition of Little People, Big Dreams, we meet the legendary Bruce Lee. While most adults likely know his name and associate him with martial arts movies, there is more to Bruce Lee than many probably realize. For instance, though his parents were from Hong Kong, he was actually born in an American hospital! In his youth, he got involved with some bad people, but he turned himself around, focusing on being a better person. And he share
Lou (Lou and Life)
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I saw this book on NetGalley, and I wished for it because Bruce Lee was one of the Asians I looked up too when I was a child, and I wanted to see how he was going to be depicted. I was really happy when I got accepted for the ARC because I knew that it would be a super quick read and I could see how Bruce Lee would be seen to children on this generation.

I think that it was a cute picture book. If I had a child, they wou
joyce w. laudon
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading books in this series. This one is about Bruce Lee. I had known that he was a kung fu hero and that was it. I learned much more about him after reading this title. Young readers will learn that Bruce was not perfect but he found his way. He lived in both Hong Kong and the U.S. He had talents, including being a child actor, a great dancer and a master of the martial arts but...he was also involved in a gang. Sent back to the U.S. by his parents, Bruce went to school and coll ...more
Anca
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am a fan of the Little People, Big Dreams series, this particular book did not appeal to me. I was very much looking forward to reading it, as my husband is a martial arts fan and wanted him to read it to our son. But I cannot find it inspirational enough.
On the plus side, I think it's important for children to see that one has to have a broader scope of knowledge and skills, in order to succeed. And that you have to persevere, to find your way. This is a good lesson on resilience.
On
Wayne McCoy
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
'Bruce Lee' by Ma Isabel Sanchez Vegara with art by Kim Hyeon Ju is a picture book in the Little People, Big Dreams series.

Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, but grew up in Hong Kong. He was a kind of lazy student, but picked up skills along the way, like acting and dancing the cha-cha. He brought those skills back to the States and started a karate school. After the tv series he was in got cancelled, he went on to make iconic movies.

At the end of the book is a timeline of Bruce Lee's all too
Theediscerning
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
With the male cohort of this series on the increase we turn to… someone who crossed borders as a cha cha dancer. Yes, even with simple short books for the very young like this us adults can learn things. It's a very blunt telling – it ends almost as abruptly as his own life did – but we get the gist of why Bruce Lee was a pioneer worthy of respect, making his own dojo out of nothing and applying the skills he only partly learnt as a street ruffian to a truly balletic cinema career. He only saw h ...more
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sanchez Vegara's Bruce Lee explores the life of one of cinema's greatest martial arts actors. Though born in America, Lee was brought up in Hong Kong, where he was a child actor. Some unwise choice led to his father sending him back to the US. Despite many difficulties, Lee went in to found and teach martial arts in the US, and to star in many blockbuster martial arts flicks like Enter the Dragon. At the end is a section with more detailed information on Lee's life. Inspirational and educational ...more
Vanessa
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I always find these little books fun to read and share with my nephew. So when Bruce Lee by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara came available to read I had to request it. Sadly I found this book Dull! The colours were not Bright and the same colours were used throughout. The pictures/illustrations did not grip me like the rest of these books in this series.
My nephew who I share these books with didn't show much interest and he Loves a bit of Bruce lee on the Television.

I usually love these inspiratio
Donna Maguire
Review to be added to Amazon UK and US on 6th August 2019 - publication day!

This series is always a joy to read and I always keep an eye out for new books being released, they are lovely little introductions to well known people for little children and as a mum I love reading them to my daughter.

This one is about Bruce Lee and how he became the king of kung fu movies and a world wide celebrity. I loved being able to find out more about his background, I had no idea that he was a cha-cha-cha danc
Tina  Izguerra
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vegara's depiction of Bruce Lee's life is fantastic. I was happy to see his story added to the Little People, BIG DREAMS series. The story is both thrilling and educational; it will surely captivate my daughter's attention. The illustrations are great as well. I was happy to see that the book focused on his minor missteps and how he turned himself around; it is an excellent lesson for children to learn. ...more
Leonie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
I love the cover of this one!
Like all books in the ”Little People, Big Dreams“ series, this book had an incredibly cute art style.
The language was easy to understand without any words too difficult for young children.
The story of Bruce Lee shows kids how dedication to something can pay off in the end.

ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review.
Leah Horton
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an interesting person Bruce Lee was! I was surprised to find out about his run in with gangs in Hong Kong and how he wasn’t a great student. It was nice to see how much drive and determination he had when it came to his passion for martial arts was amazing.

I really love the illustration style and the colors.
Tanja
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brief, first introduction in picture book format to the life of Bruce Lee. The text is accompanied by colorful and vibrant illustrations. Judging from this title, the Little People, Big Dreams series will make a great addition to primary school libraries, allowing young readers access to the lives of famous women and men from different parts of the world.
Anna-Maria
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The list of people whose biographies make it into the Little People, BIG DREAMS series keeps growing, and I had actually been waiting for this one! Cute, refreshing and positive as always, this is an introduction to Bruce Lee's life that inspires kids and adults alike.

*I received a digital copy through netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.
Naza
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘By having faith in himselfand never giving up,little Bruce became a hero for everyone’.

The story of Bruce Lee,perfectly and nicely presented to the children via great illustration.
He was not only an actor but a great example of virtuosity and hope.

Thanks to NetGalley and to the publisher for the ARC in exchange of an honest review.
Melissa
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a charming and interesting look at the life of martial artist and movie icon Bruce Lee. While aimed at younger readers, there is plenty of information in this book to keep adults interested, as well. Additionally, there are some excellent lessons for readers subtly inserted throughout the text.

• Rosa Parks
  • Maya Angelou (Little People, Big Dreams)
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • Grow: Secrets of Our DNA
  • Overground Railroad
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Jack at Bat
  • Jack and Santa
  • No Room for a Pup!
  • It's Okay to Make Mistakes
  • Julián at the Wedding (Julián, #2)
Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara, born in Barcelona, Spain, is a writer and creative director perhaps best known as the author of much of the Little People, Big Dreams series. Each book tells the childhood story of one of the world's female icons in an entertaining, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, allowing them to identify with the characters in each story. ...more

Pequeña & Grande (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Frida Kahlo (Little People, Big Dreams, #2)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • Ella Fitzgerald
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)
  • Georgia O'Keeffe (Pequeña & Grande, #12)
  • Amelia Earhart