Start by marking “If You Give a Mouse a Brownie” as Want to Read:
If You Give a Mouse a Brownie

If You Give a Mouse a Brownie (If You Give...)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  772 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Mouse is back in this ninth picture book in the beloved #1 New York Times bestselling If You Give... series!

If you give a mouse a brownie, he's going to ask for some ice cream to go with it. When you give him the ice cream, he'll probably ask you for a spoon. He'll start drumming on the table. Drumming will get him so excited he'll want to start a band. . . .

Mouse makes hi
Published October 18th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about If You Give a Mouse a Brownie, please sign up.

Stephanie It is not released yet. It will be out later this month and you can get it at Barnes and Noble.

Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
This book is really adorable and fun to read. I love reading short cute books like this book. What was really interesting on how to keep a mouse happy because they want one thing after another. It is really cute. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I absolutely love this series of books, so you can be sure that I was extremely excited when I learned a few months back that this one was going to be coming out. I just knew I had to get it! I was counting down the months and then the days until I could go out and pick it up.

And I am so glad I went and got it.

Like always, Mouse is up to his normal mischief. Except this time we start it off by giving him a brownie. Then of course he needs something else, and then something else, and then somethi
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Me, the adult, was mentally EXHAUSTED by this story (which is the point, I think).
My 3-year old granddaughter loves it.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another addition to the series about what would happen if... it's cute. And I love brownies :)
I think this one is my favorite of them all. I appreciate a mouse who doesn't have dialogue and knows how to have fun.

Also: I *just* realized the mouse is a metaphor for a toddler. Yeesh!
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
My family grew up reading books by this author, it was so fun to discover she'd written some more! And I absolutely LOVE brownies, so it was a perfect way to rediscover our favorite children's author.

The story was classic, and fun, and the pictures so cute and the story so engaging! I want to definitely add this one to my collection! :D
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mice are very needy creatures
David Brown
Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond are back with another edition of their “if you give a..” series. This time the adventure starts with giving a mouse a brownie which sets in motion a series of new requests sending the reader on an adventure keeping the mouse satisfied and ending right back where you started, by giving the mouse a brownie. “If You Give a Mouse a Brownie” is a delightful tale that is very easy to read, even for emergent readers. Each page has no more than three lines of text with ma ...more
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I heard of the picture book “When you give a Mouse a Cookie” being a book about consequences, I HAD TO borrow this series from the local library. I’ve made an electronic children’s picture book with decision making activities in it, trying to teach the young readers that their decisions have consequences, resulting in a totally different storyline. (So far no green light from publishers... I may need to change things, look for other publishers or even make a new one)

The mouse illustration i
Jamie Wenzl
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1) A good continuation of the "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" series. This book tells you just what you might go through if you decide to give a mouse a brownie (i.e. I hope you're prepared for rockstar-dom).

2) I think I would do a cooking activity with this (depending on the setting of course). If possible, we would make brownies and have a 'brownie party' as a class (hopefully there are no dietary restrictions). Another activity I would do is to make our own "band". I remember seeing kids make
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know there were so many books in this series – I’d only read the first two. If You Give A Mouse A Brownie is just as cute as the ones I’ve read. The cause and effect of giving the mouse a brownie takes the reader on a crazy adventure. And the illustrations are just so adorable and fitting for these books. I love all the colors – they’re so…welcoming, so to speak. It’s quite a different experience reading this book as an adult. The mouse comes off as very demanding (comically, sort of, i ...more
Carson Gentry
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book starts with a boy giving a Mouse a Brownie. When the mouse receives his brownie he wants some ice cream to go with it. Once he gets his ice cream he needs a spoon to eat it with. When he gets his spoon he begins to drum. Drumming makes him want to do more things and it begins this whole cycle. It eventually ends up where it started.

This book is a good book that I would suggest to first graders. It's an easy read and isn't too overwhelming and the pictures could help students figure out
Rachel Collins
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grade Level: PreK - 2

These books are classics. I love the engaging plots and colorful illustrations. Numeroff does a great job engaging the reader and keeping them guessing. Students enjoy this type of entertaining book and so it would be a great addition to a classroom library. It is fairly easy to read, so young readers can enjoy it. Overall I would highly recommend this simple yet fun story.
I can definitely see the appeal of these books for the kiddos, especially as they'll start guessing what that crazy mouse is going to ask for next. (Who starts with a brownie and predicts a rock concert??)
The human in the books has an infinite amount of patience to indulge the little mouse's requests - patience that I'm guessing a lot of humans won't have if their own little ones decide to give it a try...
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I took it out despite the children's librarian on duty said it wasn't ' her thing '. It was sweet as young children's literature, but I think in some ways it would resonate with a lot of adults too. Who doesn't know at least one person who ' you give an inch and he takes a yard ' ? Or beginning a house project only to find something needs doing before you can begin the project and once you do it, something else needs doing and on and on.
Penney  Letbetter
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another well-done story in the series. Some of them seem to have faltered but this one did a good job. The kids were begging to hear it and they visited book fair this week. I do believe this is the first time the book fair has offered the same story in paperback and hardback. We sold out of the paper back in two days.
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations are cute, but the story-line is just ok. Some children will enjoy the repetitiveness when compared to the authors other books, but some will possibly be bored. I will try it out with my students, however.
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I feel like it doesn't flow as naturally as If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, but maybe that's just because it's a first-time read?
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was impressed how Mrs Numeroff has kept the same character and storyline and yet (to me) I felt like I was reading a "new" book. Admittedly it's been awhile since I read her others. The illustrations are entertaining and delightful!
MaryKathryn Lambert
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: final-project
A mouse and his friend start by eating a brownie but the mouse will always ask for more until he gets what he wanted. Great book for kids to read on their own
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
my students laughed at the illustrations, so i guess that's something... [shrug]
Mar 20, 2017 added it
This book is about giving a mouse a brownie and then he asks for ice cream to go with it of course! Once you gave him that he’s going to need a spoon to eat it with. Mouse keeps asking for anything and everything. One of the reasons I love these books is because of the excitement it gives off. No matter what mouse is doing it, I always catch myself reading these books with such enthusiasm.
Diana Thomsen
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime, kids
Exactly what I expected and wanted from this addition to the series. Mouse always reminds me of toddlers. lol
Nothing new here but with a formula that works why mess with it. The little ones will enjoy this as much as any of the previous "if you give..." books.
Antonise Robinson
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Your books are good
I love it💗💗💗
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How in the world have I missed this book?!?! Laura Numeroff is my kid book author hero! Loved it and everything else that she has ever written!
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This mouse has the life.He has the energy and imagination we all need to keep going(like the energizer bunny).He is cute to boot so I look forward to his next adventure.
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
  • Harold's Trip to the Sky
  • Wemberly's Ice-Cream Star
  • Outlaw Pete
  • Corduroy's Christmas
Laura Joffe Numeroff is the New York Times bestselling author of author of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Raising a Hero, and What Mommies/Daddies Do Best. She was born in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from Pratt Institute. Laura grew up as the youngest of three girls, surrounded by art, music, and books. An avid animal lover, Laura has always wanted to write a book about service dogs. She now ...more
More about Laura Joffe Numeroff...

If You Give... (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
  • Time for School, Mouse!
  • If You Give A Moose A Matzoh