Start by marking “The Hundred-Year Barn” as Want to Read:
The Hundred-Year Barn

The Hundred-Year Barn

The story of a red barn and the people who call it home.

One hundred years ago, a little boy watched his family and community come together to build a grand red barn. This barn become his refuge and home—a place to play with friends and farm animals alike.

As seasons passed, the barn weathered many storms. The boy left and returned a young man, to help on the farm and to
Published September 17th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hundred-Year Barn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hundred-Year Barn

Start your review of The Hundred-Year Barn
Julie
I love that the illustrator, Kenard Pak, is originally from Howard County, Maryland, where I work in the public library system. His illustrations, done in watercolor, gouache, pencil, ink, and digital media, reflect the simplicity of Patricia MacLachlan's story about family, traditions, and continuity, incorporating animals, birds, and nature, and following a child or farmers as he grows and reflects on the "hundred-year barn" that has been a huge part of his life experience. A great picture ...more
Brittany
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one! I really enjoy "old" stories brought to life by glorious illustrations. The passing of time is just so sweet in this book. A must read!
M. Lauritano
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a straightforward story told with just the right variety of genuine little moments. The illustrations are really lovely. In the end, everything comes full circle. There is nothing especially unique or earth-shattering here, so I’m not sure why I feel so warmly about this book. Maybe it’s just the nostalgia around old barns? Maybe it feels like home? Whatever it is, this is a nice, subtle addition to the farm books canon.
Sherry Philippus
A gentle, memoir-style story in which the narrator recalls the collaborative construction of a massive barn on his farm years before. It's told in a pensive, thoughtful tone and emphasizes warm experiences like celebratory picnics and helping others - perfect for sharing as a bedtime story or when snuggled on the sofa. Very lovely, but probably not one that today's children will remember or get very excited over.
Engel Dreizehn
Rustic toned illustrations and poetic verse illustrate both the long standing history of one very old barn and the people surrounding it from the community barn raising to the present day.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely story about a hundred years in the life of a rustic red barn and what it means for the community who came together to buld it and use it over that time.
Olivia
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

THE HUNDRED-YEAR BARN is an elegant story about not only farming but also family, life, and teamwork. It took about a hundred people working together to build the hundred-year barn when Jack, the narrator, was five years old. His father picked the name because of not only the people it took to build it, but also for how long he hoped it would be standing.

Over the years, a lot has changed around and in the barn with animals and people
Tasha
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
One summer, the townspeople got together and raised a large barn. The narrator was a little boy at the time and he watched them create the foundation, build framing for the windows, and nail the shingles. In the process, his father’s wedding ring was lost and no one was able to find it. The family worked to finish the inside of the barn with spaces for each of the animals. They ended by summer by painting the barn red. The boy grew up, went away to school and came back to help with the farm. He ...more
Chris
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a contemplative story, much like the mood fall ushers in; “The Hundred-Year Barn” by Patricia MacLachlan relates the seasons of life for a stalwart structure that means the world to a family — a barn built “in a meadow” in 1919, townspeople working on its shared construction.
The narrator of this down-home tale, adorned with illustrations by Kenard Pak that reflect the shades of autumn, is 5-year-old Jack, holding his mother’s hand as the pair watch the land being cleared for the barn’s
Olivia
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A slower paced children's picture book than most, including those with similar themes and textured illustrations, Patricia MacLachlan's "The Hundred-Year Barn" is homey and personal for anyone looking to read something simple on an autumn afternoon or evening.

Sometimes the best source of material and learning come from remembering our family and their unique tales or contributions in the world. Whether this book is based on the author's own life or that of someone she knows the plot left a
Karen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abbsubmit
A boy remembers when his father and neighbors built a barn. As the adults build he plays with friends, a girl falls into the cool stream, he finds his father's lost wedding band (and loses it again), and enjoys a feast when the barn has been raised. When he is older he moves back to the farm, marries the girl he once teased for falling into the river, and the stoic barn is still standing strong, a safe place for animals and people to shelter. He finds his father's wedding ring in a lofty owl's ...more
Brenda
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you have read the writing of Patricia MacLachlan, this book will feel familiar. She takes you back to a former time, in a rural place, where people had to work together, and where livestock were as much a part of the day-to-day as people. Kenard Pak's lovely art contributes to a very nostalgic feel. A nice picture book!
Anthony
The story of a five-year old boy who watch his father, and their neighbors raise a barn in 1919, and through the years the memories that went along with the barn, that was named the hundred-year for several reasons. Now the five-year old boy is a man and runs the family farm, and the barn that still stands, and in use.
Marcie
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield new books
I can see using this as a read aloud to pair with If you

This would give me a chance to tell the story of my husband's wedding ring that spent 2 years in the driveway at our first house. Love the language and lovely illustrations. Lovely to pair with If you are not from the prairie.
Kelly
Oct 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
This was a really interesting book. Of course it was beautifully written, and I thought the illustrations were pretty good, too, though it was a muted palette. The story was definitely the best part. I prefer other books of Kenard Pak's to this one.
Sara
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful book pairing a favorite author and favorite illustrator.
Peacegal
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unique and touching story of a sturdy old barn and the seasons and generations it witnesses. BARN captures a way of life that is fast disappearing and nearly gone in today's era.
Allison
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
RWaggoner
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely, simple, engaging style of P. MacLachlen. Illustration colors were lovely but it annoyed me that the features weren’t detailed.
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great art, quiet story
Stacy
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I hesitated from giving it 5 stars because I don't think children will enjoy it nearly as much.
Fiorella Morzi
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Surprisingly I felt indifferent towards the story as it was told. The illustrations were the best part of the book and why I give it ***
Kelly
A community comes together to build a barn, and this story chronicles the lifespan of that barn.
Gabrielle Stoller
Written as only Patricia MacLachlan can (she's the one who wrote "Sarah Plain and Tall")
Lisa D
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! Loved it!
Valencia
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story about the history of a barn and all the things that the barn goes through throughout it's long life. Beautiful illustrations as well.
PWRL
Oct 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
A
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very warm fuzzy story about family, hard work, and a barn. This would be a better one-on-one story due to the detailed illustrations.
Lynn
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely!
Angela
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
Reminiscent of time past but at the same time a story that will resonate with readers today.

• The Proudest Blue
  • Home in the Woods
  • Sulwe
  • Between Us and Abuela: A Family Story from the Border
  • Who Wet My Pants?
Patricia MacLachlan was born on the prairie, and to this day carries a small bag of prairie dirt with her wherever she goes to remind her of what she knew first. She is the author of many well-loved novels and picture books, including Sarah, Plain and Tall, winner of the Newbery Medal; its sequels, Skylark and Caleb's Story; and Three Names, illustrated by Mike Wimmer. She lives in western ...more