Start by marking “The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments” as Want to Read:
The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments

The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments

What’s the actual secret to happiness? Great memories! Meik Wiking—happiness researcher and New York Times bestselling author of The Little Book of Hygge and The Little Book of Lykke—shows us how to create memories that make life sweet in this charming book.

Do you remember your first kiss? The day you graduated? Your favorite vacation? Or the best meal you ever had?

Published October 1st 2019 by William Morrow (first published September 27th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Making Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Making Memories

Start your review of The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Everything about this book is beautiful and stunning, from the physical book to the inner content. Whether it be the simple details in the illustrated graphics or the breathtaking photographs, everything within this book was well thought of and done with intention. The layout, the content, the writing--all of this combined into a beautiful book that captured the message by leaving an impression and "making a memory" for me.

As someone who's incredibly nostalgic and sentimental, this book was a
Inge
I absolutely adore Meik Wiking's books. They're like a hug in book form, perfect for reading with a mug of your favourite hot drink for the ultimate feeling of comfort and warmth.
Alisha
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable look at the science of memory and how our memories affect our happiness.
The format of the book makes for very easy and pleasant reading, with brief but well-written subsections and beautiful illustrations and photos.
Any reader will find food for thought here about how to process the big and little things in life so as to have a deep reservoir of meaningful memories in the story that you narrate about your own life. I especially loved the advice to "harness the power of
✨ kathryn ✨
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
I love Meik Wiking a whole bunch. No new revelations there. Thoroughly enjoyed this book, which tackles something different to both The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well and The Little Book of Lykke: Secrets of the World's Happiest People. Concisely written and super-accessible, too. So many bookmarked pages; especially the end section on "planning a happy and memorable year." Extremely thought-provoking.
Zachary Houle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
When it comes to my memories, I have to say that they usually aren’t positive ones. The first thing that pops into my head is an instance of when I was in Grade Seven French class, and I pronounced a word in class out loud in a high falsetto voice. The teacher thought I was making fun of her (and I probably was), so she shipped me out to the Principal’s office to phone home about what I’d done. I remember the bus ride home that day, feeling dread in the pit of my stomach at confronting my mother ...more
Стоянка
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: translated
Amazing heart-warming book about happy memories and their retention in a life-long plan.
Alzbeta
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and researched, heart-warming, funny, and so incredibly beautiful! I absolutely adored Meik Wiking's previous two books and this one did not disappoint - thoroughly enjoyed every page.
Stephanie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a comforting read, both informative and humorous.
Sarah Baker
I'm DNF-ing at 90 pages - some of the info is getting repetitive and some of the suggestions... "make new memories travelling!" Buddy, I can barely afford the gas to get to work and the grocery store, where do you think I'm gonna travel to? The elements of privilege and ignorance of the struggles of being poor are strong.
Britt Margit
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc, fallcon2019
A lovely little book. Meik successfully blends psychology and lifestyle into a fun, easy read filled with fun facts you’ll be hard-pressed to forget. I guffawed through repeated mentions of ripped Santa, the hippo director, and pineapples (you had to be there / you’ll have to read it). Plus, the illustrations are beautiful - a perfect mix of traditional and modern/clean Scandinavian design.
Jill Crosby
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is probably only worth a 2 on the reality scale, but there’s just something about the way Meik Wiking pits word down on paper that I find irresistible. In his latest book, the Happiness Professional discusses memory, how we remember, and how to make happy memories, and he uses gorgeous photography, adorable Scandinavian doodles, and memorable quotes to do it. Sure there’s that underlying patina of pretension—it’s easier to make stunning, eventful everyday memories when you live on an ...more
Hilary
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Meik Wiking’s The Little Book of Hygge, so I was very excited to pick up this new book of his. But I was disappointed. The overly sassy narration was full of random deviations from the core ideas. It felt too much like the author was trying to be clever with wordplay rather than write a heartwarming, informative book. In addition, much of this book contained common sense-style information, which felt unoriginal. I feel conflicted being so critical of an author whose (other) research I ...more
Fully.Booked
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
.5/5 - Short, sweet and just the right amount of funny! The Art of Making Memories explores how we can create and remember happy moments!

This book is narrated by happiness researcher Meik Wiking, who’s title seriously makes me think that I might’ve picked the wrong career path I was really happy to see that his tips were backed up by research but I will say that, for a book that emphasizes memory, some tips weren’t memorable for me That said, the research points were and I also realize that I
Christine Spoors
This was a great book, exploring memories, the way they are stored and with some tips on how we can better hold onto memories of our happiest moments. I always love these books as they make me think about my day to day life & remind me to try and have fun. I did find that this book seemed to spend a lot more time talking about research than Wiking’s first two, but it was a good read.
Claire O'Sullivan
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A lovely little book to end my 2019 reading year ...more
Lynette Gile
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As in his last book, Meik Wiking takes you to a place you would never consider visiting. This time it was memories and how to make them. I am now equipped with the tools to make and keep memories that have been lost on me. Go on a new adventure, take the road less traveled, try a new cuisine. I’m ready to implement all these ideas into 2020!
Kate Mclaughlin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a truly delightful and insightful read.

I have enjoyed all of Meik Wiking's books but this one is more poinient for me than most. Memories are essentially all we have in the end and some don't even get to keep those. but reading this book has made me think more about how we create memories, its not just doing exciting or adventurous things, though those are great, it's a conversation with a loved one, a story shared, even a scent of a moment. As readers we may be unconciously aware of the
Janet
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2019
A heart-warming and joyful book, it has been a real delight to read. The style of writing is fluid and light, with a gentle, humorous tone. The book is divided into eight chapters, each exploring the way we make and recall memories with plenty of anecdotes from the author. I found it a fascinating and educational read. It inspires you to think about your experiences and the way you would like to recall them.
The final section provides a calendar of ideas to make the most of your happy memories
Ileana
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Having read the other two books written by Meik Wiking, I expected something else. This book is all about pseudo-science, everything is built on individual observations that are not supported by medical research/information. The book is not fun, is not easy to read, it was boring and it was just the perspective of Wiking, contemplating the situation of getting old.
Veronika K
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Universe is made up of stories. Not atoms" - Muriel Rukeyser

I picked this book up at an airport shop after a birthday trip to Canada, which I would now describe as one of the best trips of my life. Already then I was afraid of the memories fading away or of losing them completely, so spotting this book on a shelf was like a sign specifically sent for that situation. Having finally gotten to reading it 4 months later, it ended up being something different from what I expected it to be. It
Ionut
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I got the book in my hands for the first time, I had the impression that this is another cheesy book of the series “how to do…"; however, I was pleased to see that it is more than I initially. It was quite an enjoyable reading.
Personally, I liked how the author connected the process of memory to several disciplines, not only psychology but also mythology, arts, and advertising. These connections are meant to show to the reader how important are memories in our lives. Wiking also brings
Alexandra Consolver
DNF @ 31% I really enjoyed The Little Book of Hygge a few years ago, and was excited to get a chance to read his newest book. While The Little Book of Hygge felt cohesively focused on hygge and how to achieve it, with a splash of Danish history, this particular book felt very scattered. While the focus is on memory, both making memories and keeping them, it felt like it bounced back and forth between different methods of memorization, ways that memories are vivid, and generally any study based ...more
Hollie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Audrey Gerber
Who doesn't like happy science?
I remember, in my statistic class in college, we were taught that we can rarely ever trust cited statistics. There are so many missiong components. What a joy is was to read this book with just enough components to make the statistics legit! Not only was it hilarious, pleasant to look at, but also educative and perspective changing.
Meik Wiking takes us through a journey into the science of happiness. A journey to the past, to be exact. What is the effect of
Scycer
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is an easy read and it has a primary directive of making and remembering experiences. Meik Wiking writes about what he has learnt over the past 40 years and being the CEO of the Happiness Institute.

I had a few good take away ideas from the book such as that one's memory tends to be faulty as we never remember 100% and we tend to remake old memories on how we tell others i.e, it could start out as a small fib or exaggeration and over time we remember that story as a true memory.

The
Kate
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Memories are the cornerstone of our identity, shaping who we are, how we act, and how we feel."

Thoughts~
This book is a gem! Wiking has done it again! If you haven't checked out his previous books I reccomend thoes also. This book looks at the science of making memories. Great memories being the secret to happiness. Delving into how our brains make, store and forget certain memories, and how our memories affect our overall happiness. So much research went into this book. And there is a
Lindy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the day off of work and wasn't sure how to spend it. So I googled "what to do with your day off" and was drawn to one of the first prompts: spend the whole day reading a book.
So I headed to the nearest library, one I hadn't been to before. A large structure that was right next to a park. I walked in and near the entrance, there was a shelf for New Releases and there sitting by itself, propped away from the other books what this one. I found a small, quiet seat on the upper level of the
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a comfy and inspiring book. It made me really think about how I categorize memories and moments in my life and how I can bring to life more happy memories. Which is exactly what I was hoping that this book would do.

I really enjoyed the scientific research that was put into this book as well. Learning about how our senses help us to store memories more vividly was especially interesting because so many of my happy memories have wonderful tastes and smells associated with them.
Mary
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A sweet little book that explores ways to make sure that special moments remain that way. Hint: tie them to sense memories, i.e., smell (oils, cooking) or sight (photos, videos).

Does not discuss (as far as I recall) the notion that our most precious moments are unplanned.

Nonetheless, for the gatherer of things and people and ideas, this is a nice presentation and would make a lovely gift.

I would suggest reading its parts piecemeal and enjoying one idea and then perhaps trying out another. If
Jaki
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was better than I expected having read 1 other book by the author (Hygge) and not finishing another (Lykke). This book managed to be fluffy like those two, but also important, which I would not use to describe the others.

I’m more familiar with many of the things that this book covers than the typical reader I would think — read a lot on memory in the context of learning, for example. But still an enjoyable refresher, written in a style that doesn’t take itself too seriously and (if
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ajută-mă să nu dispar
  • You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
  • Нощ
  • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort
  • Kosmiczne rozterki
  • The Self-Care Solution A Year of Becoming Happier, Healthier, and Fitter--One Month at a Time
  • The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life
  • 12 часа преди Коледа
  • Истории от 90-те
  • Charlotte Brontë Before Jane Eyre
  • The Atlas of Happiness
  • 24/6 The Power of Unplugging One Day a Week
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Der kleine Teeladen zum Glück (Valerie Lane, #1)
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • The Truth about Miss Ashbourne
  • The Joy of Missing Out: Live More by Doing Less
Meik Wiking is CEO of the Happiness Research Institute, research associate for Denmark at the World Database of Happiness, and founding member of the Latin American Network for Wellbeing and Quality of Life Policies. He and his research have been featured in more than five hundred media outlets, including The Washington Post, BBC, Huffington Post, the Times (London), The Guardian, CBS, Monocle, ...more
“Our lives are not the days that have passed, but the days we will remember forever.” 2 likes