Start by marking “The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments” as Want to Read:
The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments

The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments

What’s the actual secret to happiness? Great memories! Meik Wiking—happiness researcher and New York Times bestselling author of The Little Book of Hygge and The Little Book of Lykke—shows us how to create memories that make life sweet in this charming book.

Do you remember your first kiss? The day you graduated? Your favorite vacation? Or the best meal you ever had?

Memorie
Published October 1st 2019 by William Morrow (first published September 27th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Making Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Making Memories

Start your review of The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Everything about this book is beautiful and stunning, from the physical book to the inner content. Whether it be the simple details in the illustrated graphics or the breathtaking photographs, everything within this book was well thought of and done with intention. The layout, the content, the writing--all of this combined into a beautiful book that captured the message by leaving an impression and "making a memory" for me.

As someone who's incredibly nostalgic and sentimental, this book was a p
Inge
I absolutely adore Meik Wiking's books. They're like a hug in book form, perfect for reading with a mug of your favourite hot drink for the ultimate feeling of comfort and warmth.
Regina
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had “Memories” scribbled in my book journal as a reminder of a book I read in the spring of 2020. In flipping back through it to try to get caught up on reviews, I stared at that dang word blankly trying to remember what it meant. After checking my various book apps, library accounts, and purchases, I finally realized it was a placeholder for THE ART OF MAKING MEMORIES.

Soooooo…. clearly this book’s message was lost on me! I truly do not remember a thing about it a mere four months later. Perh
Alisha
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable look at the science of memory and how our memories affect our happiness.
The format of the book makes for very easy and pleasant reading, with brief but well-written subsections and beautiful illustrations and photos.
Any reader will find food for thought here about how to process the big and little things in life so as to have a deep reservoir of meaningful memories in the story that you narrate about your own life. I especially loved the advice to "harness the power of firs
Zachary Houle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
When it comes to my memories, I have to say that they usually aren’t positive ones. The first thing that pops into my head is an instance of when I was in Grade Seven French class, and I pronounced a word in class out loud in a high falsetto voice. The teacher thought I was making fun of her (and I probably was), so she shipped me out to the Principal’s office to phone home about what I’d done. I remember the bus ride home that day, feeling dread in the pit of my stomach at confronting my mother ...more
Christy
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disneyland smells like Japanese Cherry Blossom body spray from Bath and Body works. At least it does to me. I purchase this new scent right before going to Disneyland with my family for the first time and I wore it everyday. Now when I smell that scent I am taken back to that trip over a decade ago, one of the last ones I would take with my mother, and I am filled with memories.
The Art of Making Memories explores that many different ways that memories become more meaningful, or memorable really
SheLove2Read
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
It wasn't bad. I felt like it was more nostalgia than memory making ideas. In truth, it played on my self esteem, and made me a little sad that I don't have the happy or joyful memories he recounts in this book. For some this might be a fun read, but for me it was depressing.
Summer
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, psychology
This book wasn't quite what I expected. It was a lot more memory psychology that practical self help. While it was interesting, I didn't love it. It reads more like The Science of Making Memories rather than The Art of Making Memories.

(Audiobook)
Sharon Bakar
Bought the physical book on impulse because it was so pretty. I very much enjoyed the book though - there is a lot of advice about how to lay down good memories, all backed up by psychological studies and personal anecdote - delivered in a wry and humorous way. I also listened to the audiobook which was a pleasurable experience (it accompanied me in the garden) - I like books read by the author so you get to hear his/her voice, but delivery was just a little fast and there could have been pauses ...more
Sarah Baker
I'm DNF-ing at 90 pages - some of the info is getting repetitive and some of the suggestions... "make new memories travelling!" Buddy, I can barely afford the gas to get to work and the grocery store, where do you think I'm gonna travel to? The elements of privilege and ignorance of the struggles of being poor are strong.
✨ kathryn ✨
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, non-fiction
I love Meik Wiking a whole bunch. No new revelations there. Thoroughly enjoyed this book, which tackles something different to both The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well and The Little Book of Lykke: Secrets of the World's Happiest People. Concisely written and super-accessible, too. So many bookmarked pages; especially the end section on "planning a happy and memorable year." Extremely thought-provoking. ...more
Hilary
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Meik Wiking’s The Little Book of Hygge, so I was very excited to pick up this new book of his. But I was disappointed. The overly sassy narration was full of random deviations from the core ideas. It felt too much like the author was trying to be clever with wordplay rather than write a heartwarming, informative book. In addition, much of this book contained common sense-style information, which felt unoriginal. I feel conflicted being so critical of an author whose (other) research I res ...more
Ileana
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Having read the other two books written by Meik Wiking, I expected something else. This book is all about pseudo-science, everything is built on individual observations that are not supported by medical research/information. The book is not fun, is not easy to read, it was boring and it was just the perspective of Wiking, contemplating the situation of getting old.
Стоянка
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: translated
Amazing heart-warming book about happy memories and their retention in a life-long plan.
Tori
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
These Meik Wiking books are beautiful, in both a physical and literary sense. They are hardcover with shiny gold bits on them, there are adorable little pictures and stunning photos throughout. The pages are thick, and it has nice fonts. It’s like the embodiment of a happy memory. The writing is a little too scholarly for my taste, but the line, “be Marie Kondo’s archenemy” makes up for that.
Bistra Ivanova
Disclaimer: I listened to the audiobook and I haven't seen the widely described as a 'beautiful' paper copy. I think that some of the experience is lost in the audiobook so I plan to check the paper one as well.
This is exactly the type of non-fiction you need blinkist for :-))) Tons of information, studies and stories which are used to illustrate the author's message. Some of them were interesting and funny but most just seemed too much. I started it because I am following a Yale class on happi
Alžběta
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and researched, heart-warming, funny, and so incredibly beautiful! I absolutely adored Meik Wiking's previous two books and this one did not disappoint - thoroughly enjoyed every page.
Stephanie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a comforting read, both informative and humorous.
Britt Margit
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drc, fallcon2019
A lovely little book. Meik successfully blends psychology and lifestyle into a fun, easy read filled with fun facts you’ll be hard-pressed to forget. I guffawed through repeated mentions of ripped Santa, the hippo director, and pineapples (you had to be there / you’ll have to read it). Plus, the illustrations are beautiful - a perfect mix of traditional and modern/clean Scandinavian design.
Jill Crosby
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is probably only worth a 2 on the reality scale, but there’s just something about the way Meik Wiking pits word down on paper that I find irresistible. In his latest book, the Happiness Professional discusses memory, how we remember, and how to make happy memories, and he uses gorgeous photography, adorable Scandinavian doodles, and memorable quotes to do it. Sure there’s that underlying patina of pretension—it’s easier to make stunning, eventful everyday memories when you live on an i ...more
Fully.Booked
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 - Short, sweet and just the right amount of funny! The Art of Making Memories explores how we can create and remember happy moments!

This book is narrated by happiness researcher Meik Wiking, who’s title seriously makes me think that I might’ve picked the wrong career path😂 I was really happy to see that his tips were backed up by research but I will say that, for a book that emphasizes memory, some tips weren’t memorable for me🙈 That said, the research points were and I also realize t
Kyrie
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifestyle
I think I would have enjoyed this book more had I not read it in the middle of a quarantine. All the suggestions of things to do to create memories just made me think "Yeah. Right. Whenever we can move freely again." It's meant to be upbeat and positive. It just isn't working for me at the moment. Someday I may reread it and think, "oh, yes, the book I read in quarantine" and have many memories of events in my house. I'm more hopeful I'll think "this sounds vaguely familiar" but be better placed ...more
Christine Spoors
This was a great book, exploring memories, the way they are stored and with some tips on how we can better hold onto memories of our happiest moments. I always love these books as they make me think about my day to day life & remind me to try and have fun. I did find that this book seemed to spend a lot more time talking about research than Wiking’s first two, but it was a good read. ...more
Sarah Holm
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book caught my eye at the library. My grandma has been battling Alzheimer’s and I have watched her memories fade away. Not only do I want to pursue a meaningful life, I want to remember all the experiences that made it such. This book gives helpful insights on how to enhance your ability to create and remember good moments.
Claire O'Sullivan
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A lovely little book to end my 2019 reading year 😊
Rose Smith
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the information in the book and also the layout of the book. The author cracked me up. It was a fun read! I have some practical ideas I can use to aid in my memory keeping and memory making.
Elisa Walton
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable insight in how modern day life can affect our memories. Worth the read.
Ayesha
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This poignant little book on the art of memory-making explores how to craft a life rich with happy moments and make them ever more memorable - by striving to up their memorability, taking photos, retelling them regularly and recreating them with future generations.
Meg Briers
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-non-fiction
This was such a cute and really fun to read book, and I'll even remember reading it, thanks to the tips in the book, because today is the day in 1969 that apollo 11 landed on the moon!
superawesomekt
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
A topic always worthy of attention.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Atlas of Happiness
  • Mindfulness Urban
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • The Truth about Miss Ashbourne
  • The Art of Flaneuring: How to Wander with Intention and Discover a Better Life
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
  • Slow: Simple Living for a Frantic World
  • Night of Power
  • How to Not Wear Black: Find Your Style and Create Your Forever Wardrobe
  • A Year and a Day
  • DoR #39 - Primăvară 2020
  • Noel Street
  • The Girl Who Reads on the Métro
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • Choose the Life You Want: The Way to Lasting Happiness Moment by Moment
  • The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #12)
Meik Wiking is CEO of the Happiness Research Institute, research associate for Denmark at the World Database of Happiness, and founding member of the Latin American Network for Wellbeing and Quality of Life Policies. He and his research have been featured in more than five hundred media outlets, including The Washington Post, BBC, Huffington Post, the Times (London), The Guardian, CBS, Monocle, th ...more