Start by marking “The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments” as Want to Read:
The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments

The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments

What’s the actual secret to happiness? Great memories! Meik Wiking—happiness researcher and New York Times bestselling author of The Little Book of Hygge and The Little Book of Lykke—shows us how to create memories that make life sweet in this charming book.

Do you remember your first kiss? The day you graduated? Your favorite vacation? Or the best meal you ever had?

Memories are
Published October 1st 2019 by William Morrow (first published September 27th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Making Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Making Memories

Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Everything about this book is beautiful and stunning, from the physical book to the inner content. Whether it be the simple details in the illustrated graphics or the breathtaking photographs, everything within this book was well thought of and done with intention. The layout, the content, the writing--all of this combined into a beautiful book that captured the message by leaving an impression and "making a memory" for me.

As someone who's incredibly nostalgic and sentimental, this book was a p
Alisha
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable look at the science of memory and how our memories affect our happiness.
The format of the book makes for very easy and pleasant reading, with brief but well-written subsections and beautiful illustrations and photos.
Any reader will find food for thought here about how to process the big and little things in life so as to have a deep reservoir of meaningful memories in the story that you narrate about your own life. I especially loved the advice to "harness the p
Стоянка
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: translated
Amazing heart-warming book about happy memories and their retention in a life-long plan.
Alzbeta
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and researched, heart-warming, funny, and so incredibly beautiful! I absolutely adored Meik Wiking's previous two books and this one did not disappoint - thoroughly enjoyed every page.
Zachary Houle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
When it comes to my memories, I have to say that they usually aren’t positive ones. The first thing that pops into my head is an instance of when I was in Grade Seven French class, and I pronounced a word in class out loud in a high falsetto voice. The teacher thought I was making fun of her (and I probably was), so she shipped me out to the Principal’s office to phone home about what I’d done. I remember the bus ride home that day, feeling dread in the pit of my stomach at confronting my mother ...more
Britt
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc
A lovely little book. Meik successfully blends psychology and lifestyle into a fun, easy read filled with fun facts you’ll be hard-pressed to forget. I guffawed through repeated mentions of ripped Santa, the hippo director, and pineapples (you had to be there / you’ll have to read it). Plus, the illustrations are beautiful - a perfect mix of traditional and modern/clean Scandinavian design.
Kate Mclaughlin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a truly delightful and insightful read.

I have enjoyed all of Meik Wiking's books but this one is more poinient for me than most. Memories are essentially all we have in the end and some don't even get to keep those. but reading this book has made me think more about how we create memories, its not just doing exciting or adventurous things, though those are great, it's a conversation with a loved one, a story shared, even a scent of a moment. As readers we may be unconciously awa
Janet
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, favourites
A heart-warming and joyful book, it has been a real delight to read. The style of writing is fluid and light, with a gentle, humorous tone. The book is divided into eight chapters, each exploring the way we make and recall memories with plenty of anecdotes from the author. I found it a fascinating and educational read. It inspires you to think about your experiences and the way you would like to recall them.
The final section provides a calendar of ideas to make the most of your happy memories t
Kate
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Memories are the cornerstone of our identity, shaping who we are, how we act, and how we feel."

Thoughts~
This book is a gem! Wiking has done it again! If you haven't checked out his previous books I reccomend thoes also. This book looks at the science of making memories. Great memories being the secret to happiness. Delving into how our brains make, store and forget certain memories, and how our memories affect our overall happiness. So much research went into this book. And t
Ileana
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Having read the other two books written by Meik Wiking, I expected something else. This book is all about pseudo-science, everything is built on individual observations that are not supported by medical research/information. The book is not fun, is not easy to read, it was boring and it was just the perspective of Wiking, contemplating the situation of getting old.
Alex Belinda
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compared to the other two books he wrote this is pretty dry. That being said it's something I wish I read before high school. It talks about the way the brain remembers things and how to recall things from the past. Definitely a book for everyone. I love all the ideas on how to create memories for the future
Lacey Bordewick
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Meik Wiking is hilarious in an understated way. His humor made the book really enjoyable. The main reason I loved this book is that it told me to travel more. I’m always looking for validation to take more trips!
Dana Biscotti
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed Meik Wiking's intriguing treatise on memories and learning tips for what we can do to improve ours, especially in the area of creating joyful memorable moments. Looking forward to his next book. (But no pressure to get writing, Mr. Wiking! Enjoy your book tour first!)
Nik
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it but wasn’t sure I loved it as much as his other 2 books, until I read the very last chapter. Meik you’ve done it again, thank you! 🙏🏻
Jenn
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio
THE LITTLE BOOK OF HYGGE is still my favorite, but I did appreciate that this made me think about making happy memories and ways to safeguard them for the future.
Wafic
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, it seems that reading about happiness makes us happy, thank you Meik.
Forreste
This book didn't delight me as much as the other 2 of his that I had read previously. It was fine but it just didn't compare.
Reginna
Oct 12, 2019
Crystal Pape
Oct 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Meik Wiking is CEO of the Happiness Research Institute, research associate for Denmark at the World Database of Happiness, and founding member of the Latin American Network for Wellbeing and Quality of Life Policies. He and his research have been featured in more than five hundred media outlets, including The Washington Post, BBC, Huffington Post, the Times (London), The Guardian, CBS, Monocle, th ...more
“Our lives are not the days that have passed, but the days we will remember forever.” 0 likes