Start by marking “Ripley's Believe It or Not” as Want to Read:
Ripley's Believe It or Not

Ripley's Believe It or Not

Published February 5th 2019 by Zenescope

To ask other readers questions about Ripley's Believe It or Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ripley's Believe It or Not

Start your review of Ripley's Believe It or Not
Chad
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
My 9-year old niece would love this. She's currently obsessed with weird facts. I found it a bit "meh". The book follows the structure of a 10 page or so dramatization of an event followed by a 1 page synopsis of the actual event. The stories here were either WAY too long for the subject matter or ones I already knew about like the Winchester Mystery House.

Received a review copy from Zenescope and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
There wasn't anything necessarily wrong with this graphic novel, it just felt very mediocre to me. The stories felt exaggerated in an unnecessary way and I was disappointed by the unrealistic spin some of them were given in an obvious attempt to make them seem "creepy" or overly strange. Maybe it's just been too long since I've engaged in anything from the Ripley's franchise and I went in with the wrong expectations.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange
Glen
10 fully illustrated tales/background stories for 8 different 'Ripley's Believe It or Not' datum. Each story written by a different author... each story illustrated by a different artist. Some authors and artists were used more than once.

This is standard 'Ripley's Believe It or Not' fare, that we have come to love and enjoy. The artwork was great and the stories well told. Some of the stories were fictional, as some of the facts being explored had to be imagined.

I do have a couple favorites,
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

actual rating: 2.5

I just want to preface this by saying that I was absolutely OBSESSED with Ripley's as a kid. We always went to Myrtle Beach for vacation and I always made my parents take me to the Ripley's museum there and I watched the TV show all the time. That being said ...this graphic novel was a bit disappointing.

Basically there's like six or seven weird stories and each one gets maybe a ten page dramatization and then a one page summary
Etienne
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good way to present those old Ripley's Believe it or not stories. First a short comic/cartoon story and then a brief resume of that «fact/story». Kind of urban legends sometimes amplify over time but most, if not all, have true historic facts attach to them. I always like those kind of weird stories and facts and creatures so for me it was a sure pick and I wasn't disappointed. If you like those like I do and like comic book this one is worth it, even if it's present in a more children like way!
Karen
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A perfect fit for anyone interested in the odd or unusual. The collection of oddities are presented in a comic book style, making this book a fun, quick read.

Thank you to Diamond Book Distributors and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I went into reading this without any knowledge of Ripley's Believe It or Not. I believe it was once suggested for a London city trip, but just as quickly abandoned. However, reading about some strange facts never seems to bore me, so I gave it a try.

I didn't care much for the artwork, it felt very comic-y and not much refined. However, some of the short stories were quite interesting although quite a few of them were already known to
Kelly Van Damme
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I used to read a lot of comic books as a kid, but I've never really looked into graphic novels. This one was in the Read Now section on NetGalley and I decided to give it a shot, especially since I find Ripley's curiosities intriguing, plus it has a cat on the cover, as well as a skull, how could I resist?! I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised and I will definitely look into more of these types of novels. I loved the graphics and the stories, although, as with every story collection, some ...more
Lukasz
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent. I'm new to Ripley's Believe it or Not! astonishing oddities, and this title serves as a great introduction. It collects believable and relatable 8-page stories of tragedy and strange twists of fate.

The art suits the mood of stories and never disappoints. This issue contains stories illustrated by numerous artists. Each of them succeeded in presenting a disturbng story concisely, and with enough punch to hook the reader.

I enjoyed my escapade into the weird and unexpected. Absolutely
Molly
A great collection for anyone who is new to Ripley's Believe It Or Not!, though long-time fans will be familiar with most of the stories and material here. The presentation of each story in slightly exaggerated form followed by a one or two-page explanation of the true story is novel and the art is good.
January Gray
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, but I was expecting something more family oriented. Some things were not in good taste for kids, but that was just my thinking, the book is absolutely fabulous and entertaining and quite informational.
Michelle
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I hadn’t heard a lot of Ripley’s stories, some of them I learned about during my bachelors since they were medical miracles. Most of them were still new to me, at least, the story behind them was.

While it was fun to learn more about Phinneas Gage and the tallest man, even about Beauty and the Beast, it all just feels a bit immature. Which isn’t bad, but since the only things I’ve heard about Ripley’s stories was that they were gory and unbelievable and astonishing, I guess I had expected
Amy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
*This review may contain spoilers pertaining to some content found in Ripley's Believe It or Not, though it is minimal spoilage*

I am thus far finding Ripley's Believe It or Not, the graphic novel, intriguing. It is different than other novels, of the graphic variety, that I have followed because it contains more than one story within its pages. I am one of the lucky NetGalley members who was approved to read this book pre-publication, and therefore, it was a free / no cost to me read. However,
Wayne McCoy
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Ripley's Believe It or Not' by Tony Isabella and Ben Meares is a graphic novel that immediately took me back to when I was a kid and had the Ripley's cartoon books to thumb through.

Using a framing story of people visiting the Ripley's Odditorium's, this collection features some famous stories that have been featured by Ripley's Believe It or Not. A railroad worker is impaled by a spike and lives, but his personality changes for the worse (who can blame him?). A cat in a nursing home seems to
Theediscerning
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Two modern collections of full-colour short stories from the world of Ripley's Believe It Or Not. I'd never actually associated the man with cartoons, always thinking of him as just a compiler and museum man, spinning off his industry from the old carny days. But it seems he did use comic book pages in the past to get his trivia into newspapers. Which is one roundabout way of saying this is unapologetically an advert for the Ripley's museums, where quite pointless framing devices of people going ...more
Paul Franco
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A graphic novel about the famous brand.
It starts in Branson with one of the museums, where Ripley is a hologram giving the intro to the tour. Beauty and the Beast was real, in a story with too many Catherines.
From there it moves through a number of vignettes, each taken from one of the oddities in the museum.
Already knew the Phineas Gage story, though not the ultimate ending. That’s my fave part of these stories: not just explaining how they were true, but that some of these poor souls did have
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
This is a collection of bizarre, weird, and amazing stories presented in a graphic novel format. It turned out to be just an ok read for me. While the stories are intriguing - Petrus Gonsalvus of Canary Islands was the first recorded case of hypertrichosis; Phineas Gage was the man who survived an iron rod driven into his skull, etc - but I did not enjoy the illustrations, as it was too cartoonish for me. Felt like I am reading a fiction. In the end I still prefer reading the usual standard ...more
Méliane
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
More like 2.5 stars

Meh. It wasn't terrible, but there was a lot of lost potential. The stories were way too short to stick with me and I was already familiar with most of them. Most stories left me cold, but I enjoyed two of them:

49 Lives Written by Ben Meares, artwork by Marcelo Basile
Stingy Jack Written by Howard Mackie, artwork by Lucas Meyer, and colours by Jorge Cortes (wonderful colours)

In most stories the art didn't had anything, but I really liked the work of Daniel Mainé and Marco Lesko
Kristine
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Ripley's Believe It or Not by Tony Isabella et. al. is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in late January.

Through its many, many contributors, with an element of Tales from the Crypt and/or the Twilight Zone, visitors wander through Branson’s odditorium and find insight into what they see/view, like an inside story within a story or brief biography (bi-odd-draphy?). These stories are usually quite shadowed, sepia’d and mysterious, and don't quite match the ballyhoo of Ripley’s tellings of
Sarah Z
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read this graphic novel on a flight and I really, really enjoyed it. I loved the concept. The believe it or not stories were very cool. The artwork, for the most part, was amazing. I have so many favourite stories from here...well I basically liked all of them with one exception where I thought the story and the artwork was just not up to snuff.

I really enjoyed it and I was highly entertained for an hour. I
Ioanna
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who hasn't heard of Ripley's Believe It or Not! collection? Now, readers can enjoy some of the most fascinating stories of this collection in the form of a graphic novel. Carefully selected, the peculiar, yet all-too-true stories will amaze the reader. Accompanied by appealing illustrations, they transport the reader to different eras and places.

Definitely recommended for graphic novel enthusiasts, especially for fans of Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Ije the Devourer of Books
I thought this was intriguing. The book takes us to visit 'Ripely"s believe it or not.' We are told about some of the exhibitions that make up Ripley's display and we are told about the facts and figures behind each story. The book uses graphic artwork to convey and explain what has happened.

I though the artwork was good and it is a great introduction to the World of Ripelys and an enjoyable comic.

Copy provided by publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Randi
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley - all opinions are my own.

Hmm, where to start. The artwork itself is pretty good and reminds me of some of the horror comics I read as a child.

The stories are also somewhat catchy, but as some of the other reviewers have mentioned, there is a lot of lost potential. It feels as though, that it could have been even better or even more "believe it or not".

Enjoyable yes, but that's it.
Beth Younge
This was an interesting collection of comics. I liked the way the real life stories were framed in the comic and thought it made the narrative edge more interesting. It did not blow me away with how good it was but it interested me for a brief moment.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Lukas Holmes
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am such a sucker for things like this. If there is a Ripley's in a town, I visit it. So while it isn't high art or some deep literature, it's fun. I loved the story of Jack-o-Lanterns and just about everything.
Emma
I couldn't really get into the artwork here. The large spreads were really great, but I really didn't enjoy the smaller panels - that's not uncommon for me with comics, but the text wasn't so spectacular that I was willing to write it off. I liked the format of the storytelling, though.
David Caldwell
This is a collection of the first 2 issues of the Ripley's Believe It or Not comic series.

This is the classic Ripley's turned into comic book versions.
Amanda Watson
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I fondly remember waking up early before school to watch the animated Ripley’s Believe It or Not series. I loved anything creepy or strange, and I especially appreciated that what I was learning was true – the show revolved around artifacts that I could eventually go see and events that had actually happened to people. While this graphic novel does touch on some of the same unusual material, this collection might be disappointing to reader’s who have seen it all before.

This graphic novel
Teresa Grabs
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How can one love Ripley and not love this graphic novel based on some of his greatest finds? The art was great and brought the stories to life. I especially loved the throw back to the old Ripley graphics at the end of every story. This is a must have for every oddity and Ripley fan!
Amit Verma
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ripley was cartoonist who started comics to popularise variuos unbelievable true events in history and present.
Robert ripley established a enterprise based on unbelievable and weired true events and facts. His legacy is around 10000 cartoons, museums, odditorium, tv shows and books.
This graphic novel illustrates few of his best oddities in entertaining graphic novel.
Cartoons are excellent and so are the captions. Cartoonist do full justice to the stories.
Very entertaining and surprising like

• Unicorn Day
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • Long Road to Liquor City
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden
  • B Is for Baby
  • The Piñata That the Farm Maiden Hung
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Two-Step
  • Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality: A Field Guide to Curiosity, Creativity, and Tomfoolery
The Official Goodreads page of Ripley’s Believe It or Not!—where seeing is believing and it’s rude not to stare!