Start by marking “Off the Ice (Hat Trick, #1)” as Want to Read:
Off the Ice  (Hat Trick, #1)

Off the Ice

(Hat Trick #1)

Previously published; newly refreshed by the authors

He’s hot for teacher

NHL star Tristan Holt may be at the top of his game, but he’s already thinking one play ahead. Hitting the books in the off-season means he’ll have a business degree to fall back on when it’s time to hang up his hockey skates.

But his straightforward plan is complicated by his undeniable attraction to h
Published March 25th 2019 by Carina Press (first published October 30th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Ice

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Oh, hell, YES, baby; this book is ALL the things:

- Great writing, with sharp, realistic dialogue, some banter, and humour

- Two complex MCs with interesting backstories

- Opposites attract, age gap, pseudo-enemies-to-lovers, plus HOT FOR TEACHER!

- KINK (dominance, spanking, mild humiliation)

- Steam and more steam

- Awesome cast of secondary characters

- No real angst, some OFY conflict

- Insta LUST, not insta love

- Believable relationship development (the MCs move from teacher/student to lover
Wendy
4,5

When I found out that one of my favorite books was being "repolished", I happily signed up to review it, because what's better than re-reading one of your favorites!! I can't really say this is a "golden oldie" because it hasn't been that long since I first read this one. I can tell you that I still loved it just as much the second time around. Maybe even more since I have been slowly building a newfound appreciation for BDSM and other sorts of kink ;)

come to momma gif - Google zoeken

I was already a huge hockey fan. Those b

Shile

You can find me here 👇

description

It is Me! not the book!.

I liked some parts and disliked some parts.

This is a Teacher/student story with some BDSM elements.

The audiobook was amazing, Kirt Graves narration is always on point.

Sebastian the Teacher. He was an a**hole from the first time he was introduced and not the good kind of a**hole. I tried but i just couldn't connect. I had some cringey moments listening to his POV.

Tristan the student and professional Hockey was a darling, i loved him, too bad
Jan
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, sports
** 2.5 Stars **

I don't know people...

The rates are so high. Was I expecting too much? I feel so disappointed.

It wasn't bad but it was nothing special either. Therefore I will go for 2 stars which is an "OK read" here on GR.

Tristan was lovely and I sympathized with his character LOADS. I think the authors did great revealing his emotions and fears when facing his conflicted situation of coming out.

I actually felt anxious for him every single time he had to come up front and talk about this with
Jewel
Warning: Gushy review ahead, because this book rocked my socks off.

When I read that Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn were starting a new hockey series, I was ecstatic! And I don't even think I could follow a game of hockey without someone talking me through it. But I do love me some sports romance, even if I don't really like sports. Something about seeing alpha males laid low by love just gets me going. Who could blame me, right? And add in a super toppy academic and I'm in lurve!

Sebastian Cruz is a
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

I loved this so much!!! So, SOOOO good!!

Image result for in love gif

- Opposites Attract - Hockey player and college professor with dynamite chemistry.

- Age Gap - About 10 years

- Student/Teacher(ish) - Nothing happens while Tristan is Sebastian's student...but the dynamic afterwards.....oh yes!

- Some kink - Tristan loves dominance and Sebastian loves control. A little bit of humiliation (not public), some spanking, some slapping, and a whole lot of explosive chemistry! Did I mention that already? We
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I liked this, at times very much, but when I reflected back on the story about a week after I read it, nothing stood out to me, which isn't a great thing.

I was one of the few who didn't love Avon Gale's collaboration with Piper Vaughn, and though I ADORE Avon Gale's solo works, I think I'll steer clear of her work with Piper in the future. It just doesn't give me that *squee* feeling.

I was drawn to this book because it has SO many themes that I enjoy. I love kink, age gaps, and hock
Ele
*4.5 stars*

Well, it's official. From now on, every Puerto Rican teacher is going to be Juan Forgia in my mind. It's all Santino Hassell's fault.

Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn are my new favorite author duo! Their writing might mesh together incredibly well, but the characters' voices are very powerful and distinct. I'm perfectly sure that Off the Ice will tick a lot of people's boxes:

-Opposites attract.

-Age gap.

-Teacher/student trope (because of my line of work this can feel a little icky, but fear
.Lili.

Oh, boy did Off the Ice by Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn cater to all my loves:

Age gap + opposites attract + teacher/student + kink + romance+ humor

It's the story of an out and proud but unbending college professor, Sebastian Cruz, and a closeted professional Ice Hockey player, Tristan Holt, who's recently gone back to school. At first glance, Sebastian comes across as uptight and by the rules, but even he can't resist the blonde hot guy in the gray sweatpants (shot out to #gethasselled & #meg
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Solid 4 Star read.

I quite like this duo.

I wasn't a super big fan of the humiliation kink going on, but it was on the light side. Super hot otherwise.

No crazy drama.

Likable characters.

Great start to the series, I am definitely looking forward to the next book.

ARC kindly provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
BWT (Belen)
4.5 Stars

Practically perfect in every way.

During his summer off, professional NHL player Tristan Holt has decided to go back to school part-time in order to finish his business degree.

He ends up in a Sociology course being taught by Sebastian Cruz, one of the professors still trying to get tenure with the university.

The two have a rocky start, but once the class ends, the heat begins and the two begin a relationship. Unfortunately, Tristan isn't out - to anyone - and Sebastian is out and proud.

T
Alisa
I was a bit hesitant going into this because while I love Avon Gale's solo books I was not a fan of this writing duo's previous book Permanent Ink. I did like this one better but not by much.

Tristan is a NHL hockey player who wants to finish off his college degree. (And on a side note, real life professional hockey player Colton Parayko is the inspiration for Tristan. You should take a minute to google him because sweet baby jesus he's something fine to look at) Tristan takes a Sociology class
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Expected more*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book was alright. Nothing to write home about, nor something I'd want to read again. It was predictable, but still cute. It centers around defenseman for the Atlanta Venom, Tristan ‘Tris’ ‘Holtzy’ Holt (23) and sociology professor, Sebastian ‘Seb’ Cruz (34?) who just can't help the attraction between them. However, one is out and proud while the other is still in the closet. Overall, it was still a nice read, but I wished it had been better. More action or somet
Christelle
What I loved :
* Tristan : he’s kind, he’s strong and dedicated, he’s combative but fair, he’s honest, he’s easy-going, he’s funny.
* The banter : it always works for me.
* Opposites attract
* Age gap
* Hockey player
* The development of the relationship between Tristan and Sebastian : it takes place over a few month, it’s believable, no drama, but issues that are to be addressed and are to my liking. Oh, and quite steamy, of course :-)

I can’t really explain : something was missing for me to make it
Ami
I am going to say that it's TWO for TWO for me, when it comes to Avon Gale & Piper Vaughn's writing partnership, after Permanent Ink. Because I loved this one as well!

Off the Ice is the first book of the new trilogy, Hat Trick, featuring Tristan Holt, a defenseman for Atlanta Venom, and Sebastian Cruz, sociology professor at Georgia State. It has a number of tropes that may attract readers of this genre. Let's see ... student/teacher, age-gap, d/s kink ... and well, hockey players!

The two
Dia
3,5 stars

I'm again in the minority here, as almost all my GR friends loved it.
I'm not a big fan of hockey er even sports stories, but I loved Him and Illegal Contact. I also loved Permanent Ink by this writing duo, so I wanted to give this book a try.

For the most part I enjoyed this story. It contains a lot of the things I usually love in books: age-gap, mild BDSM, opposite attract, teacher/student trope, BUT somehow this couple wasn't credible.

Tristan is a 23 y.o. hockey player in the NHL.
Eugenia
Avon Gale—I love her. This book, however, I did not love. Maybe I had high expectations from her incredible Scoring Chances series. I expected humor, hockey, hot sex, and characters I liked.

Piper Vaughn—I know little as a writer, having only read one of her books before this collaboration. I didn’t much care for that one.

Here I got a little hockey, some hot sex, two parts that made me laugh (I counted), and only one MC I cared about. Sorry, Sebastian, I just didn’t much like you. You were pompou
Ky
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, net-galley, read-2017
Off the Ice is so much more than a sports romance. It's a coming out story. It's a story about making choices. About friendships. About family. It's basically the story of a relationship.

So, we have a teacher, we have a pro athlete and we have a summer class. Although they met in said class, that was taught by Sebastian and that Tristan was attending, this is not a student/teacher romance. They were attracted to each other from the beginning but nothing happened between them while the class was
Dani
Age gap, student-professor dynamics, complex characters and funny dialogues. What else would I want?

Sebastian Cruz is the hot and scowly professor that had my heart at full speed. Tristan Holt is a professional hockey player that decided to go back to school to have a backup plan in case things go south with hockey.

From the first pages, I was hooked. I don't know if it was because this was partly Avon's work or what, but I loved every second of it. The dialogues were witty and the plot was fas
CrabbyPatty
Note: Carina Press is re-issuing "Hat Trick" on March 25, 2019 with a great new cover and it has been "newly refreshed by the authors."

My initial review of "Hat Trick" is shown below with a rating of 4 stars. Upon re-reading the book, I realized just how much I enjoyed this story of two men who has an incredibly steamy kinky relationship coupled with a deep connection of love and respect. I appreciated once again their careful negotiations on coming out.

While I'm not sure exactly how the story w
Natalie
I’ve actually felt some overkill lately with hockey stories, but I was confident of quality writing from this author collaboration and I was right. They freshened up the closeted pro athlete trope and gave it a level of realism that’s not always present. Tristan is a smarter kind of athlete, working to finish his degree despite the sudden wealth and notoriety of playing in the NFL. Sebastian is a sociology professor, looking for tenure and he makes note of the big blond jock in his class, in the ...more
Catherine
Between the trope-y goodness of Keira Andrews' Kidnapped by the Pirate and now Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn's Off the Ice, I have been absolutely spoiled by the m/m romance genre this week. Seriously, I am riding quite the book high right now!

This book was full of sexy times. No, I don't mean the humiliation kink or the student/teacher dynamic or the spanking or the alluded to public sex over the hood of a vintage GTO (although all of those things got my motor running in a big way); I'm talking ab
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
*I was a first reader for this*

To say that I loved this would be the understatement of the year. And that's not only because inspiration for one of the characters was Colton Parayko (one of my favourite hockey players) - though that might play into it.
But also because Sebastian Cruz is one amazingly grumpy, hot professor and the chemistry between both of them is palpable and just off the charts. Add hockey to the mix and I'm in book-heaven.

The Avon Gale / Piper Vaughn writing-team just works.
Sanaa Z.
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc, m-m, sports-romance
4.25 stars.

Let me just take a quick moment to appreciate this book. It was really good. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of the humiliation kink but I can overlook that.

I'm also a huge fan of the student/teacher and their chemistry was off the charts! This might be my first or second by the duo so I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.
Gabby
"Perception always changed the more you learned about a person, whether it be their sexuality, political views, or the way they treated homeless people on the street."

This book was cute, but nothing really stood out to me. This book should have been a homerun five star book for me because it has a lot of my favorite things: 1) student/teacher romance, 2) forbidden romance, 3) lgbt romance, 4) hockey player character, 5) age gap between the two man love interests. And this book was cute, don't
Truuss
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, m-m
4.5 stars You could think: another sportsman in the closet and we know how it will end.
No....it was wrapped in a different paper. Kind, lovely and spanky dominating.
Sebastian a professor at the uni where Tristan follows a study besides his prof ice hockey career.
Grumpy professor and the ideal student. Sebastian in his thirties and Tristan a lot younger.

They started in a bad way with wrong assumptions Still the attraction coming from both sides. After the sky cleared and they are communicating mu
Laurel
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-gap, closeted
It took me a while to fully get into it because the book had somewhat of a slow start. Then I got a bit of traction before my interest plummeted again. I’m going with 2.5 Stars because the story had its moments and was written well, but I didn’t love it.

I never really connected with any of the primary or second characters, although I loved that the authors touched on the struggles of being gay and dealing with Pueto Rican parents/ family members as well as Sebastian’s hypocrisy of judging and a
Lena♥Ribka

I wanted to DNF this book for sure more than 10 times, my last time was at around 80%. But then I thought, you suffered already too long, you can do it, you can finish it. I did, but I have to be honest: I skimmed through the last half of the book.

I belong to the very minority with my opinion about this student/teacher romance. I didn't like it. Though during the first chapters I really believed that it could be a good plotted novel: Tristan Holt, a closeted NHL ice hockey player decides to fin
Avril
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of reading Off The Ice before it was released, and I LOVED IT!

So much with the awesome, m'kay?

Tris and Sebastian were all with the delicious, and the sweetness and the **lust sighs**

Just one of those reads where you reach the end and you close your tablet with a dreamy smile on your face, and a slight thirst. Okay, not so slight, but you get me. Right? Right?
Cadiva
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am such a sucker for a sports romance and I'm particularly keen on ice hockey as it's a game I know little about but which seems to have such a great sense of community.

That this one also came along with an age gap, a stern Puerto Rican professor and a wee bit of humiliation kink and a light sprinkling of power exchange BDSM made it all the more delicious.

Every bit of the narrative worked, I liked the tensions which were introduced as Tristan had to consider the outcomes of coming out and Seba
  • Out in the Field
  • Reading the Signs
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
  • First Season (Harrisburg Railers, #2)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • Heels Over Head
  • Play On (Glasgow Lads, #0.5)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Illegal Contact (The Barons, #1)
  • Changing on the Fly: A Hockey Charity Anthology
  • Winging It
  • Last Man Standing (Southern Scrimmage, #5)
  • Two Man Advantage (Point Shot, #1)
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Home and Away
Avon Gale was once the mayor on Foursquare of Jazzercise and Lollicup, which should tell you all you need to know about her as a person. She likes road trips, rock concerts, drinking Kentucky bourbon and yelling at hockey. She’s a displaced southerner living in a liberal midwestern college town, and she never gets tired of people and their stories -- either real or the ones she makes up in her hea ...more

Hat Trick (2 books)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)