Start by marking “When I Lost You” as Want to Read:
When I Lost You

When I Lost You

__________________________

Former Crime Analyst Merilyn Davies brings to life a gritty, heart-stopping crime thriller that will have you utterly obsessed.

'Assured, fresh, engrossing' MEL SHERRATT
'Taut, authentic and sensitively told' CHRIS EWAN
‘Compassionately, confidently and beautifully written’ STEVE MOSBY
__________________________

When a young couple are the lead

Published July 1st 2019 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about When I Lost You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Lost You

Start your review of When I Lost You
Amanda
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When DS Nell Jackson and DC Paul Mackintosh are called out to an infant death it seems like an open and closed case, the Pathologist declares it as an unnatural death so the evidence points to the parents!! But gut instinct told me that there is more to this case.

The pathologist Eve receives a letter saying not to send another innocent mother to prison for killing her child. DS Nell and crime analyst Carla Brown look at her other court cases where the mothers were convicted of murdering their c
Louise Wilson
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Several years ago a mother was convicted of murder. Now a baby has been found dead and the police pathologist points the finger at the young traumatised mother. Several years ago two abused girls were in a care home formed a bond that will connect them for the rest of their lives.

*Warning* this story covers child abuse, infant death and graphic descriptions, so the contents might upset some readers. It's gritty and harsh but it's also sensitivity told. The story switches frequently to thirty fiv
Rachel Hall
Ambitious, messily constructed and convoluted police procedural that becomes far-fetched.

Former crime analyst Merilyn Davies’ debut is an intriguing but rather convoluted police procedural that highlights the role of a civilian analyst and their valuable contribution to the intelligence gathering that informs investigations. An involving story with flashbacks to thirty-five years earlier, this is a novel that takes time for its focus to become clear and is best served by reading in sizeable chun
Erica
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DS Nell Jackson and PC Paul Mackintosh are called to a flat in Oxford with a report of the death of a baby. Sudden infant deaths are notoriously difficult to deal with, but the appearance of a pathologist makes the situation worse.

They are met at the flat by pathologist Eve Graham who indicates to them that she not believe it to be an SID case, therefore murder. Even though it appears the father is aggressive in his demeanour, she indicates that the mother is responsible. They are not sure what
Jennifer Nolan
This book certainly had me hooked, I could barely put it down I loved it so much. I highly recommend that you read this book if you love Crime/Mysteries.
Shalini
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow!! What a book. Not the usual police procedural but something different with an investigator Nell and Crime Analyst Carla. A new concept shown where the analyst digs through mountains of electronic data to assist the field investigators.

A young couple with a dead child suspected of unnatural causes brought pathologist Eve to the picture. 6 threatening letters written by Mary embroiled Eve deeper into another mystery of her past reports. Nell and Carla investigated.

A debut by Merilyn Davies
Jessica Gilmore
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Present day - a baby is found dead, and the police pathologist points her finger at the young and clearly traumatised mother.
Several years ago - a mother is convicted of murder, convicted by the evidence of that same pathologist.
Thirty five years ago - two abused young girls meet in a care home and form a bond which will connect them for the rest of their lives...

When DS Nell Jackson and her colleague Paul attend an unexpected death scene they expect it to be a tragic case of sudden infant deat
Karen Whittard
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I had guessed who had done it before the end reveal. This book was still very well written. Had a lot of suspense and great characters
Dawn Marsanne
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly original and complex story. However, the style of writing is such that the novel flows along making it easy to read but requires concentration as the characters are interwoven.
I read the book over a couple of days and I think this gives the best experience, as dipping in an out might leave the reader confused.
There are harrowing details of exploitation of vulnerable characters but it is handled sensitively.
Would read more by this author.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Mystery, blame, conflict, murder, abuse.

Content warnings: Infant death, child abuse, graphic descriptions of crime scenes.

Book Review: When I Lost You by Merilyn Davies

I feel that a lot of the author's own experiences as a crime analyst with the Met feeds a lot into the book - it feels like a completely authentic look at the job, full of first person research. It really comes across in the writing and it's fascinating. And definitely not a job that I could do.

When I Lost You is a bit po
Mary
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a solid crime read for me. I really enjoyed the police procedural aspects and the author’s background shines through here.

I did find the plot a bit overly complicated at times and had to re read several passages to make sure my understanding was correct. Overall the past and present structure did work but at times I felt there were too many characters to keep track of which detracted from my enjoyment of the novel a little bit.

Some difficult themes are dealt with here such as child de
Katharine Johnson
A very intriguing story with a complex plot that I couldn’t wait to get back to every time I was forced to stop reading. As there are different timelines and lots of characters you do need to give the story full attention but it does reward. The procedural story line set in the present day is interesting but for me, the past story line is where this book really shines. The issue of grooming is very topical and the two girls and their relationship with each other and their groomer are brilliantly ...more
Samantha Gonsalves
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thrillers that don't give away the plot a few chapters in are the best. While I found this plot to be really intriguing, I already know who the perp was, sadly that took some of the thrills away. When I lost you is a debut by former Crime Analyst Merilyn Davies and her expertise and depth of knowledge shows throughout the book. The book has a good number of twists, but they're all concentrated towards the beginning and end. What's in the middle however makes up for an interesting read.

When a you
Heather Howarth
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book reading it in one sitting!

The book deals with some hard topics - the effects of abuse, dominance and grooming on individuals and the cost to both the individuals affected and those closest to them. It was very emotionally draining at times.

The latest no term effect on Mary of letting her friend die but saving her baby is catastrophic to all concerned. Her increasing delusions lead to the death of the child she had done so much to save.

The police procedural story almost
Meggy Chocolate'n'Waffles
A new series, a new dynamic, a new mix!

What appealed me first when I received an email about When I Lost You was the author. Merilyn Davies was a former Crime Analyst with the MET. Not a police officer per say. I was spared the DC / DS / DI / DSI and all those abbreviations I have become accustomed to. What a change! I immediately wondered what this particular angle would add to a novel. Well, Merilyn Davies answered my question with a superb blend of police procedural and psychological thriller
Vivienne
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Random House U.K. Cornerstone /Arrow for an eARC via NetGalley of Merilyn Davies’ ‘When I Lost You’ in exchange for an honest review. As the price was appealing, I elected to purchase its ebook/e-audiobook combination for an immersive experience.

This is a police procedural set in Oxford. When a couple are accused of murdering their baby, Crime Analyst Carla Brown and D.S. Nell Jackson are assigned to the investigation. However, what appears to be a straightforward case is thrown int
Amy Perera
A police pathologist is called to a death of a baby and she believes the young parents have killed their baby. Several years ago - a mother is convicted of murder due to evidence of the same pathologist. 35 years ago - 2 abused girls meet in a care home and form a bond that will connect all the timelines together ✨ W O W, this book had me so lost. It is told from different timelines and it does have a lot of characters to keep track of but I kept with it and it did get better or I was just used ...more
peggy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hard hitting story of child abuse, domestic violence and the loss of an unborn child. At times I HAD TO walk away from this book. You have been warned. A slow burner to start with. The story spans 30 years and did I mention the cot death???. A heartbraking and shocking read that deals with some very sensitive matters. A new author for me and I will certainly be looking out for more of this authors work. Almost five stars and highly recommended.
I would like to thank the author, Random House UK
rina dunn
This is or has the potential to be a great storyline however I literally was so confused! Told from different points of view I spent the majority of the time wondering who was doing or thinking what!
It really prevented me from connecting with the book at all!
Renita D'Silva
Pacy and well written
Stef L
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
With a prologue that had my eyes on stalks, When I Lost You grabbed my attention from its very opening page.

Meet DS Nell Jackson, unafraid to face the dangers in her job head on she has a pluckiness that makes her instantly likeable. Working with the extremely relatable Carla Brown (Crime Analyst) they are thrown into a case where nothing is as it seems and everything is at stake.

The short, punchy chapters make this a book that is hard to put down and its effortless flow coupled with twists ga
Joanna Park
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I Lost You is a gripping, tense and harrowing read that I found hard to put down.

This book deals with the difficult issues of sexual abuse and grooming which made for difficult reading at times. The author does handle the situations sensitively without ever glorifying it for the story. This also makes the story seem more real and therefore emotional as you feel that this could actually have happened.

I enjoyed learning more about the analyst’s role which I didn’t know much about before start
What Do I Read Now
For DS Nell Jackson the City of Oxford brings the usual problems you’d expect to find in any place largely populated by students, and also more hard hitting crime – and the premise for When I lost you – Murder.

Nell is faced with an infantile death, that finds Eve Graham a pathologist blaming the mother, despite the mother giving details as to what happened. It echos a previous child’s death and subsequent prison term for Joanne, now released due to the the re-examination of her case.

But Eve star
Maggie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a baby is found dead in her cot Carla Brown, a crime analyst, and DS Nell Jackson investigate. Although Eve, the pathologist is quite certain of events Carla is not convinced. Her analyst nerves are twitching & on further investigation reveals that she is right to be suspicious. However Eve is married to her oldest friend & mentor which makes things difficult.

The story switches frequently to thirty five years ago when two teenage girls are thrown together due to arriving at a care home at t
Barbara Rohde
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are into crime thrillers it would be hard to go past this book. Carla Brown, a crime analyst, and DS Nell Jackson investigate the suspected murder of a baby in which the mother is accused due to forensic evidence provided by Eve who is known for her thorough work.

However it is not long before the open and shut case starts to feel wrong leading Carla to look at other cases of child murder convictions in which Eve was the forensic scientist. This leads us back thirty-five years in time wher
Barbara Rohde
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Fi
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aileen Mckenzie
It’s been a while since I read a police procedural but when I saw it was a Crime Analyst that had the starring role I grabbed my copy of When I Lost You and settled down for a different, fresher take on the crime fiction genre.

When officers arrive on the scene of a dead baby at home in her cot, the pathologist on call is quick to assign blame to the mother. DS Nell Jackson isn’t so sure, but pathologist Eve is adamant, the bruising on the child is too light to have been the brute of a father, it
Zoé-lee O'farrell
I have literally finished this book and just wow. There have been very few books that can take my breath away like this. I think I need to just take a minute……

….ok that minute did not work. I have to say this book is fantastic if you had not worked that out already. It is a chilling start to the book with the death of a baby, one that will always send shivers through me and then another death happens. Now as shocking as these are, they are not the story. No, the story is something much more intr
ReadandRated
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars from me

A book of two distinct halves which wrap around each other - one following the present day police investigation into the death of a baby - and one following the fate of two young girls who were in care 30 years ago.

I found the storyline featuring the care system, and the two girls trying desperately to find love in all the wrong places, to be by far the more compelling and would happily have read more about their tragic lives. It put me in mind of the recently televised documents
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Who Killed Ruby?
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Stop At Nothing
  • The Night You Left: The tense and shocking thriller that readers can’t put down
  • The Family
  • Lake Child
  • The Dead Wife
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Daughter In Law
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • The Marriage Trap