Jump to ratings and reviews

The Trouble with Rose

‘A fresh and hilarious debut about family in all its brilliant, messy glory… You’ll laugh, you’ll cry’ Sunday Times bestseller Dawn O’Porter

‘Witty and heartfelt’ HEAT

Rilla is getting married. Except she isn't. She's running away – from her confused fiancé Simon, her big mad family, and the memories nipping at her heels.

Her sister Rose would know what to do in such times of crisis.

But the trouble is, Rose is the crisis. She disappeared years ago, and Rilla's heart went missing too.

Where is Rose? And who is Rilla without Rose?

If she's to rescue some happiness out of all this chaos, she needs to find out.

Perfect for fans of Marian Keyes, The Trouble with Rose is an unforgettable story about finding love, family and all the chaos in between.

Everyone is falling for The Trouble with Rose!

Witty and heartfelt, you’ll grow to love Rilla as she attempts to make sense of her past’ HEAT

Funny, relatable and fresh, Amita Murray’s voice hooked me from the start and she is certainly an author to watch!’ #1 eBook bestselling author Phoebe Morgan

Refreshingly different . . . A fabulous book, with a whole lot of heart.’ Goodreads reviewer

‘Amita Murray weaves together comedy and emotional suspense into a fantastic book!’ Goodreads reviewer

‘Engaging and entertaining, at time hilarious, always full of emotions . . . Highly recommended!’ Goodreads reviewer

‘A wonderfully humorous, witty, comic and entertaining story that I found hugely compelling’ Goodreads reviewer

400 pages, Paperback

First published February 14, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Amita Murray

10 books78 followers
Amita is a writer, based in London. She writes in two genres: contemporary mystery and historical mystery romance. Her Arya Winters series of mysteries is published with Agora. The first came out in 2021. Her mystery novel Thirteenth Night won the Exeter Novel Prize in 2022. Her first novel The Trouble with Rose came out with Harper Collins in 2019. Get in touch @AmitaMurray and amitamurray.Wordpress.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
26 (9%)
1 star
15 (5%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews
Profile Image for Paromjit.
2,504 reviews24.5k followers
February 13, 2019
This is the brilliant debut by Amita Murray set in London featuring 25 year old Rilla. It begins with her wedding to Simon, and something is clearly not right with Rilla as she becomes the runaway bride who is arrested by the police for shoplifting. As an Asian woman, Rilla comes with a huge extended family, packed with quirky and eccentric characters, such as her Uncle Jat, Auntie Pinky, Auntie Promilla and so on. This is no small thing as everyone feels they have a say on everything in Rilla's life, and have no intention of holding back on anything. She is a spiky personality which in itself is an understatement, she has reached the point where she is bubbling close to a mental breakdown. She lives in Lewisham, South London, sharing a flat with her Mexican gay flatmate, Federico, and is conducting a MA thesis on which she has made and is making copious notes, but she is floundering when it comes to writing anything up, so much so that she is receiving warnings about being thrown out.

In her head, she is consumed with guilt and thoughts about her sister, Rose, only Rose left the family as a child, and Rilla is convinced she was the cause, she was mean and spiteful to her older sister, jealous and resentful of her beauty and how everyone loved her. There is an unbridgeable silence when it comes to Rose in the family, with no mention of her, it being a forbidden and taboo topic. As Rilla becomes ever more isolated, the more she veers into dangerous waters, suffering panic attacks, unwilling to meet with Simon and discuss their relationship, and whilst she is struggling with her MA on cultural responses to love and other matters, she cannot see what else she can do in life. In fact, the more Rilla studies the concept of love, the more aware she becomes of her failings, her inability to love anyone, and her increasing conviction that she knows nothing whatsoever of love. She reaches the end of her tether as she finally understands she is going to have to confront her past and find out out what happened to Rose if she is to stand any chance of resolving the forces that are tearing her apart.

As Rilla begins the search for Rose, it is ultimately a search for herself and her own sense of identity. She is aided by her young phone obsessed cousin, Jharna, who just happens to be a expert at hacking to get the information that Rilla wants. Murray writes a beautifully poignant story of family dysfunction and trauma, of Indian culture and community, of what it is to be a version of a British Asian woman today, and Rilla's absolute need to find out the truth of what happened to her sister. The characterisation is fabulous and endearing, from Federico to Professor Grundy. I loved Lord Basingstoke, the mentally messed up cat that Auntie Promilla foists on Rilla. This is a wonderfully humorous, witty, comic and entertaining story that I found hugely compelling. Many thanks to HarperCollins for an ARC.
Profile Image for Justkeepreading.
1,756 reviews70 followers
February 5, 2019
What I really liked about The trouble with Rose was how refeshingly different it was to most books out there in the market today.

I have to say that this is the first book that I have read by Amita Murray but it certainly won’t be the last.

I haven’t come across a book before where the main character is Indian and includes so much information into the Indian culture, their family lives, their beliefs, their systems for doing things like marriage ect. Which was what I felt was a refreshing change from the norm.

In this book we meet Rilla. She is all set to get married to a man called Simon. Rilla is all dressed in her wedding gown, the venue is looking beautiful, Simon and Rillas family are out in force. But the a police man turns up and arrests Rilla for stealing.

Rilla and simons family manage to get her out of the prison cell. But then Rilla runs away. She is still heartbroken about her sister Rose who went missing 17 years ago, she is overwhelmed with the whole arranged marriage and her family who need to get involved in absolutely everything and is stressed out about not being able to concentrate enough to complete her MA.

Rilla needs to find out what happened to her sister? She needs to find out where Rose is? She needs to know who she really is? And she needs to sort out these things before she can even begin to sort out the mess of the last few days.

Can Rilla find answers to These unanswered questions and can Rilla find happiness once again.

A fabulous book, with a whole lot of heart.
Profile Image for Paula Sealey.
515 reviews75 followers
February 7, 2019
What a gem of a book! I read this most of the way though with either a giant grin on my face due to the wonderful humour, or with a knot in my throat thanks to the reveals in the plot. I can't remember reading a book like this for a while now, with such a different and intelligent storyline. I loved every single character! Rose is a standout, unsure of herself and desperately seeking answers to a mystery that has plagued her since childhood. I equally loved Simon, Federico and Jharna though, who all try to help her along the way. As for the army of well meaning Indian relatives, just superb, honestly so funny! You can tell that every character has been given a lot of thought, and they all slotted so well into the story. I just know this is a book I will come back and read again! A super debut and I'm already itching to see what Amita comes up with next!

*I received a copy of the book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Cressida McLaughlin.
Author 48 books471 followers
January 5, 2019
A really lovely, funny but emotional read, with a family mystery at its heart. It is beautifully written with great characters, and it strikes you right in the heart. I loved it.
Profile Image for Kirsty Oughton.
56 reviews13 followers
April 18, 2019
What a rollercoaster read ‘The Trouble with Rose’ is! I realised once I started reading this story that it’s not my normal kind of read but I’ve been wanting to branch out so I carried on reading and I’m so happy I did. Beyond thrilled that this is the book to take me out of my comfort zone.

We meet Rilla who is in the middle of doing her MA, she’s dealing with her overbearing family (otherwise known as the GIF!) and if that wasn’t enough she is about to get married to Simon but ends up getting arrested! What drama within the first few chapters alone. Does she make it down the aisle? She is also dealing with the question that’s constantly on her mind ‘Where is Rose?’

Amita takes us on a journey of Rilla’s life in the present day and some events that have happened in the past to lead us to also wonder ‘Where is Rose?’ I found myself absolutely engrossed into the story as I wanted to find out more about Rilla and of course Rose.

‘The Trouble with Rose’ is such a page turner! I found this full of drama, suspense with a few laugh out loud moments. Amita’s writing is so detailed I could imagine how the characters look in my mind as well as their surroundings. I can’t believe this is her debut novel and I am very excited to see what Amita comes up with next! 😊 You really need to read this heart felt poignant story. I give ‘The Trouble with Rose’ 5*/5*!
Profile Image for Rachel Gilbey.
2,694 reviews495 followers
March 19, 2019
I love reading about characters from different heritages than my own, as they are always really interesting, and so I was delighted to hear very early on about Rilla's GIF.

Ok, so the geek in me had to think as every time I saw GIF written instantly thought of the graphic file type for small animations, but in Rilla's case she means her Greater Indian Family.

There are masses of well meaning, interfering aunts, making any family get together rather amusing especially to an outsider.

The next thing that drew me into this story was the writing style, thee way Rilla was telling the story, especially the account of how she came to be arrested on her wedding day at the start of the book!

It soon becomes apparent that Rilla never got over the disappearance of her sister Rose, and none of the family ever mention her, but it seems to be holding Rilla back from lots of things.

I loved her friends, there are many really amusing moments in this story, as well as far more poignant ones.

I believe this a debut novel, in which case I'm very impressed, its rather accomplished and really is quite uplifting. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Thank you to Harper Collins for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Profile Image for Ritu Bhathal.
Author 4 books109 followers
April 11, 2019
I love a good book with a great dollop of culture, my own culture, in it.
And this debut, filled with the fun of being a British Indian, complete with the obligatory GIF (Great Indian Family) was fantastic!
I love that there were elements of the story I could relate to, nodding my head, smiling manically or giggling to myself, with my son sat beside me wondering whether his mother was finally losing it...
That being said, there was a lot that wasn't ordinary about the story too.
We follow Rilla, a young woman on the eve of her wedding, who ends up bailing, in the most unorthodox of ways, by getting arrested (on purpose).
She's stuck in a loop in life, trying to get her MA, but unable to really focus, always feeling like she is second best in everyone's eyes.
Because of Rose.
A person who hasn't been in her life for over half of it, but who has overshadowed her every move,
Rose - her sister, who suddenly went missing from her life.
Rose - who no one will talk about.
Rose - did she run away? Did she get taken away? Did she die?
All these questions, but no answers.
I really enjoyed everything about the book, and look forward to more from this great talent!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Agi.
1,531 reviews85 followers
March 4, 2019

Rilla is about to get married to Simon but shortly before the wedding ceremony she's arrested for shoplifting. Yes. Her own and Simon's family manage to get her out of prison but Rilla isn't happy, she can't settle, she's consumed with guilt about her sister Rose who has disappeared 16 years ago. Talking about Rose is forbidden in Rilla's family but she can't find peace until she knows what has happened. She needs to find her sister.

Personally I had huge problems with the main character. She came across as very spoiled and childish and all the time wanting something, whingy and unhappy. Rilla's actions weren't sweet for me, and she was mostly passive - aggressive and simply I couldn't warm to her. Indecisive and behaving as if the whole world should revolve around her, with demanding attitude and not too likeable - and this hugely busted this story for me. I know, you don't have to like the main character to enjoy the book but this time, as this story was very main character driven, it simply didn't work. She's convinced that it's her fault that Rose disappeared, as she was mean and rude to her sister - but to be honest, she was like this to every living person in her proximity. It wasn't funny anymore, it wasn't charming, it was simply not nice. Although the way Rilla suffered because of all those secrets, of being kept in darkness was brilliantly described, and we could easily see that she felt isolated, she started to have panic attacks, she was struggling in every aspect of her life, and it wasn't easy to watch - I wanted her to succeed in solving the Rose's mystery, and I was also intrigued what has happened to her.
On the other hand, I adored her family - this huge group of eclectic and eccentric characters, they could have been annoying and interfering but you wouldn't have to fear anything with them at your side. Loud and sarcastic and reserving the right to know everything about every other member of the family, always well meaning, I know they would drive me crazy, but as they weren't my family I could totally enjoy them.

"The Trouble with Rose" was a book that intertwined humour with poignant moments and with different and unique storyline. I think that the search for Rose was not simply a search for Rose, that there was much more to it, it was actually Rilla also trying to work out what it is she wants to do with her life, if she's able to love. As a result, we get a warm story about dysfunctioning family, lies and secrets and as an extra bonus there are tons of information about Indian culture and community - but it was refreshing and interesting. It was humorous, it was chaotic, and it had some brilliant moments - I, for example, adored the mentally messed up Lord Basingstoke, the cat, for whom Simon was trying to figure out parabolas. Maybe it wasn't the right read for me, maybe I didn't get the main character but I appreciated this novel, and I'll be looking for more from Amita Murray.

Copy provided by the publisher in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Claire.
155 reviews1 follower
November 3, 2019
I have read so many great reviews about The Trouble with Rose and was so looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately I was not able to finish this book - I found it very confusing from the start. I didn't gel with Rilla, the main character and I found the storyline very complex and puzzling. It is the first book in a very long time that I did not enjoy and therefore did not finish.

This review is based on a NetGalley ARC provided in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Linda Hill.
1,177 reviews31 followers
April 20, 2019
Rilla is about to marry Simon, but events may not go according to plan.

I have a confession. I wasn’t especially interested in reading The Trouble With Rose and the only reason I did read it was because it was quite physically light and I needed to reduce the weight of books in my suitcase on a recent holiday! This ridiculous attitude just goes to show how wrong a person can be. I absolutely loved Amita Murray’s funny, touching narrative with a family mystery at its centre.

The Trouble With Rose is plotted perfectly so that whilst Rose’s absence is at the heart of the action, her presence is felt through every facet of Rilla’s life and personality. I was as desperate to know what happened to Rose as was Rilla.

Amita Murray writes in a style that is effortless to read. This isn’t to say it is lightweight or superficial but rather that at times her descriptions are beautifully wrought and her ability to convey Rilla’s feelings and emotions through the first person narrative is faultless. It felt as if Rilla was my friend and was speaking directly to me. There is also a sparkling wit, especially in the passages relating to Rilla’s extended family that made me laugh aloud with recognition at times.

I thought Rilla was a triumph. With Rose gone her feelings of stasis and guilt render her unable to fulfil her potential. As the totally apt cover suggests, Rilla is unbalanced and without Rose feels incomplete. At times she is her own worse enemy which makes her even more realistic and endearing.

Whilst The Trouble With Rose can be enjoyed as a highly entertaining light read, Amita Murray has woven in wonderful themes of identity, ethnicity, family, relationships, guilt and love so that there is real depth for those wanting it too. I thought it was a perfect read.

Having begun relatively disinterested in reading The Trouble With Rose, I have finished the book feeling thoroughly entertained, emotionally engaged and desperate to know what happens next in Rilla’s life. This is a totally smashing book from Amita Murray that I really recommend. I loved it.
Profile Image for Denise.
306 reviews6 followers
August 29, 2021
Rillas Hochzeitstag sollte der schönste Tag ihres Lebens werden. Doch er ist der Beginn einer Katastrophe. Vor der Trauung wird sie von der Polizei festgenommen, trennt sich danach von ihrem Verlobten und ihre Masterarbeit steht kurz vor dem Aus. Rillas Leben gleicht einem Scherbenhaufen und Schuld daran hat, so denkt sie, ihre verschwundene Schwester Rose. Sie zu finden, wird zur neuen Mission. Mit ungewissem Ausgang...

"Die Sache mit meiner Schwester" ist das Debüt von Amita Murray und lässt mich leicht unbefriedigt zurück. Die Geschichte um Rilla, ihre indische Großfamilie und ihre verschwundene Schwester klang zu Beginn sehr vielversprechend, jedoch ist dieser Roman mehr Drama und ein Spiegelbild von Rillas zerbrochener Seele als die wirkliche Suche nach Rose.

Rilla erzählt selbst aus ihrem Leben und wie es den Bach runtergeht. Dabei bringt sie immer wieder Geschichten über Rose und ihre Kindheit ein, berichtet von den Abenden mit der indischen Großfamilie oder wie sie ihren Ex-Verlobten Simon kennenlernte. Die meiste Zeit jedoch erlebt man mit ihr Panikattacken, Unsicherheiten und jede Menge Wut. Ich konnte ihre Gefühle nachvollziehen, war aber auch teilweise genervt davon, wie sehr die Hauptfigur im Selbstmitleid versinkt, der Welt und ihrer Mutter an allem die Schuld gibt und auf der anderen Seite irrationale Verhaltensweisen an den Tag legt.

Die Story ist gut erzählt, der Stil einfach zu lesen. Und obwohl ich nicht oft mit Rilla konform ging, flog ich durch den Roman, weil ich wissen wollte, was es mit Rose auf sich hatte. Das letzte Drittel des Buches stimmte mich dann versöhnlich, denn die Wendung war toll aufgebaut und ließ die Geschichte in einem anderen Licht erscheinen.

Und so kann ich diesen Roman all jenen empfehlen, die sich gern mit dem Seelenleben literarischer Figuren befassen und denen ein grundlegend negatives Selbstbild einer Figur nichts ausmachen.
Profile Image for Jane Hunt.
Author 3 books101 followers
May 9, 2019
A charming story of culture, family, forgiveness and love, written with wonderful vivid imagery, and an insightful balance of humour and poignancy.

Rilla is in trouble, something that has plagued her throughout her young life. It’s as if she doesn’t believe she has a right to be happy, loved and successful. Her wedding day is the perfect example of this. She hides her insecurity and vulnerability behind a rebellious mask, always making fun of herself and her family. Failing at life, she finally confronts the root cause, her sister Rose, or rather her absence.

Rilla is a lovely character, complex, flawed and challenged by her family who always wants to know everything, constantly interfere and comment on her life. Well meant, or not she is frustrated by it and is forced on a journey of self-discovery to salvage her sanity. To stop being the one in the family, everyone has an opinion about. Rilla discovers a web of secrets and lies. but when she finds the truth, can she live with it?

The family are an intrinsic part of this book. their characters are believable, and so vividly written, you can see and hear them in your mind. They bring this story to life and make it such an enjoyable read. Easy to empathise you follow Rilla’s emotional journey with interest, wanting her to find the answers, but hoping she is strong enough to accept them.

The ending is satisfying, it brings resolution, love and hope for the future.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Collins UK - Harper Fiction via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Profile Image for Lynn B.
646 reviews15 followers
September 5, 2019
I've got mixed feelings about this book. It all begins with the bride being arrested on her wedding day which just didn't sit right with me at all. We don't even get to find out why she's been arrested until quite a long way into the book either. It was a loose end niggling at me all through the story.

Rilla is the central character and I just didn't understand her one bit. She is part of a very large Indian family and she is frustrated by them. It seemed to me that they should be the ones frustrated with her. They all seemed to talk common sense and Rilla just floated along not worrying about anyone but herself, and of course Rose.

I got a little bored with the book about half way through and began to wonder where Rose could have gone. I did actually figure it out all on my own. To be fair the conclusion of where Rose went and the closing of the book was very poignant. But still I couldn't reconcile in my mind why Rilla had a responsible career and yet had a very irresponsible lifestyle. Thank goodness for the GIF - that is what Rilla calls her family. "Great Indian Family" except every time I saw GIF my brain thought of an actual GIF and it was annoying and caused me to rethink what I was reading.

I didn't find the novel hilarious. It was amusing in minor parts. I really wish Rilla hadn't been so self absorbed and we had more time with the GIF.

I'm giving this book three out of five stars. My thanks to netgalley and HarperCollins for an ARC to review.
Profile Image for Vivienne.
Author 2 books85 followers
December 7, 2019
An impressive debut and insightful comedy-drama

My thanks to HarperCollins U.K. for a digital edition via NetGalley of ‘The Trouble with Rose’ by Amita Murray in exchange for an honest review. I have since purchased its ebook edition. It was published in paperback in May 2019. My apologies for the late feedback.

Set in London, the narrator of this quirky novel is Rilla, a twenty-five year old woman who tells us: “In the normal course of things, on the afternoon of her wedding, a bride is not behind the bars of the local prison waiting for her lawyer to bail her out or for her extended family to tell her all the things that have gone wrong in her life. I’m not saying that this has never happened in the history of weddings. I’m just saying that it is rare.”

She refers to this extended family as the GIF (Great Indian Family). With her marriage called off she is in limbo and also is struggling with her seriously overdue philosophy MA thesis. She finds herself focusing upon her sister, Rose, who disappeared from her life seventeen years previously. In order to make sense of her current life she needs to solve the mystery of Rose.

Rather than being the hilarious tale that the publicity suggests, I would class this as a comedy-drama as it explores quite serious themes. Rilla paints a vivid portrait of her chaotic family that was heartwarming and also provided insight into Indian culture in Britain.

Overall, an impressive debut that was a very engaging read.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
906 reviews27 followers
April 24, 2019
Loved this book!! This book definitely made me laugh and cry. I couldn't wait to find out what happened to Rose. When everything was finally revealed, it wasn't what I expected. So many emotions. I loved Rilla. She never got over the loss of Rose and never even knew what happened to her. Rilla was even forbidden to talk about her sister. The GIF (Great Indian Family) was crazy. I loved them and hated them at the same time. Their good outweighed the bad. They definitely added humor to every situation. The Toddlers were another story. I would have attached a FREE to Good Home sign on them and then dropped them off somewhere. (Just kidding, maybe not. They were very annoying and not well behaved.) I LOVE cats, but Lord Basingstoke was just too much. The poor kitty had to have butter rubbed on his feet just so he ate something. I loved the relationship Rilla had with Jharna. Poor Federico and his glue bottles filled with shampoo and lube. Rilla's relationship with her mother was horrible. Her mom was constantly insulting her and I wasn't even sure she actually liked her daughter. Simon was just perfect. He didn't even bat an eye when Rilla was arrested on their wedding day.

Definitely recommend the book. I loved the characters, story and writing style. There were definitely funny moments, but their was also a sadness to the book. I look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
163 reviews3 followers
May 27, 2019
I started this book and was not sure in the beginning how it would go as I felt it was quite slow to get started but that only lasted a couple of chapters and then I was hooked. I appreciate with so many characters in a book, they have to be introduced. I know from friends how Asian families work when there is trouble in the mix and how they pull together and this was so evident in this story – I loved the dynamics of the family and can imagine the Great Indian Family getting involved in every aspect of life and good for them. I found Rilla a sad soul and without giving too much away how she must have felt becoming an only child at the time in her life when it happened. I am sure the story line is true in many respects and heart rendering once you have finished the story. It did pan out as I thought so far as Rose is concerned but did not expect the ending as it was. I had her moving on. I felt heartsore for Rose and Rilla’s parents and cannot imagine their trauma over the years and Rilla did not help the situation without realising her role in the drama. A lovely story and a great ending

Profile Image for Lynn.
450 reviews63 followers
February 26, 2019
Let me first explain how I rate the books I read. A large proportion of my rating comes from how I FEEL about a book; whether it kept my interest, did I enjoy reading it, did it evoke an emotion from me.

Details such as world building, writing style, pacing, complex characters, plot etc contribute too and the story was done well with a lot of these points. However those elements are secondary when it comes to my ratings.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book. I really disliked the main character. She was rude and mean to pretty much everyone in her life with a 'poor me' attitude which was very irritating. While her situation was horrendous, for me that's no excuse to treat the people around her the way she did and ultimately spoiled my reading experience.

There was a really solid ending which helped but overall this wasn't a book for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher / author for providing me with a free electronic copy of this book for review.
Profile Image for Elise.
84 reviews2 followers
April 26, 2019
It was a very slow start. I nearly stopped reading it. In fact, the beginning encourages you to believe that this book is your average chick lit. But it's not. It's very introspective. There's a family secret that is slowly revealed and when I say slowly, I mean sloooowly. Rilla, the main character, is quite unlikeable for most of the book. I also found her inability to write an MA dissertation not quite believable. The way her research is discribed it sounds a lot more like a PhD. Had it been a PhD I would have understood her pain and struggle. An MA dissertation, not so much. These are the reasons I found it hard to get into this book.

But I persevered and there are some quite moving moments, the revelation of the family secret I hadn't totally guessed. I don't regret reading this book but I wish the first third of the book had been a bit tighter and better paced.
Profile Image for Sarah.
828 reviews
July 22, 2019
This book is a well-written exploration of a family secret and Rilla's attempt to discover what happened to her sister Rose, and in doing so, resolve her emotional blockage and really start to live her life. Her immediate and extended family were a joy to read about; there are eccentric aunts, domineering uncles, and phone-obsessed cousins.
So, why the three-star rating?
I found the pacing very, very, very slow after the first few chapters. I started to skim read and actually found it a chore to finish. For some reason, whilst I can admire the author's deft skill at handling heavy subject matters with a light tone, as well as juggling numerous characters. the book just didn't grab me emotionally.

My thanks go to the publishers and Net Galley for the copy in return for an honest review.
225 reviews2 followers
May 27, 2019
Rilla and Rose, two young sisters sharing everything, until one day they weren’t sharing anything, one day there were no sisters, there was only Rilla...and what a delightful mess she turned into...
This is a story about family, the good, the bad and the just plain weird that exists in some form in all families. Filled with humour and humility, the storytelling centres around the chaotic life of Rilla and through the storytelling she shares with us the ups and downs of life as a not-so-well-adjusted adult.
I found this a lovely read that made me laugh, but also made my heart hurt a little now and again, but ultimately it is a definite feel good read that I would recommend.
My thanks to #NetGalley #HarperCollinsUK and #AmitaMurray for allowing me to read and review this book.
Profile Image for Sabrina.
16 reviews2 followers
June 22, 2021
I'll be honest I chose this book because the main character being from an Indian family which you don't often see. I liked the premise but unfortunately found it a bit slow building and some content did not really see it having much relevance to the main plotline and then those things were drawn out or not really wrapped up properly so that made it confusing to me as to why were pointed out?

However I did enjoy maybe the last 20% of the book which was actually more directly about Rilla and her sister Rose.
It's a shame I could not connect/fell with Rilla but overall a good debut and will look out for more.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Karen Kingston.
646 reviews11 followers
April 22, 2019
Thank you to NetGalley for a preview copy in return for a honest review.

This was a book that started well, the opening chapters were very entertaining. However I personally then found that the middle section of the book dragged for me - I ended up taking a break from this to read something different.

However I was interested to find out what happened so returned to book yesterday and finished it today. I was pleased to solve the mystery in the story but personally didn't find this 'the most hilarious and heartwarming new read for 2019'.
Profile Image for Bridget.
2,733 reviews94 followers
June 1, 2019
"The Trouble with Rose" is a fantastic début by Amita Murray.

The author's character creation was sublime, especially Rose, who was so unsure of herself and really stood out for me. It was wonderfully compelling as well as being, funny, witty and highly entertaining.

All in all, "The Trouble with Rose" was an extremely worthwhile and fulfilling read and I am curious to see what Amita Murray does next.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my own request from the publisher via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
August 24, 2022
The plot was weak. Felt that there was no substance to the story at all. Unfortunately, I felt like I had wasted my time reading this book. Could not warm to the main character, she was spoilt and mean to her family who clearly cared for her. I was waiting for a real plot twist.. and nothing. Very dull ending that could be summarised in one sentence. Giving 2 stars as I felt it was easy to read/understand and I enjoyed the snippets of the main characters notes of her thesis on love. I also liked the main characters flat mate, if only his story featured more..
Profile Image for Rose Norman.
May 6, 2019
Surprisingly emotional

Having seen the headline and read the other reviews of this book I was totally unprepared for the emotional punch it landed, right in the abdomen. I found the main character one I wanted to wrap in as many protective layers as possible and hoped it'd all get resolved. I read half last night and my heart was breaking for her, the other half tonight and I'm still with her now I've finished the book. Definitely keeping an eye out for more Tom Amita Murray
Profile Image for Vivien Brown.
Author 4 books67 followers
June 13, 2019
This book has its amusing moments as well as its poignant ones but there was something about the final explanation about Rose's long ago disappearance that just didn't work for me. A family so open and loud and in your face somehow kept that one sad secret. It's also set in a world a long way from mine. The big Indian family, the Asian words, the extracts from Rilla's MA notes, just didn't mean anything to me. Well written, well structured, but only three stars for me.
Profile Image for Natalie.
5 reviews
January 28, 2020
I struggled wit h The Troubles with Rose. I found Rilla to be a terribly frustrating main character - entitled, passive aggressive and self-centered mannerisms throughout the book with minimal care for her impact on others.
Her GIF, and the wider supporting characters, absolutely made up for it though. They were all brilliantly developed and brought some fantastic comedic relief at well timed moments throughout.
January 13, 2023
Very Indian, is all I can say. Suspenseful and unnecessarily dramatic just like a Bollywood movie. The plot was good, though poorly driven. When everything unveils in the last 30% of the book it turns out to be unprecedented and original. The GIF, the clothes, the family dinner drama, and the ending - all brought an Indian characteristic to the book that mad me feel like I’m reading a movie script from the early 2000’s.
Profile Image for Bettina Hunt.
Author 4 books17 followers
April 15, 2019
I found this very funny at first, a lot of things that the main character Rilla was experiencing, especially family related, resonated with me.

The book switched half way through and it became a lot more serious. The story had me turning the pages, I needed to know what had happened to Rose.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.