Start by marking “Past Perfect” as Want to Read:
Past Perfect

Past Perfect

A magical tale of a modern family sharing a gorgeous Pacific Heights mansion with their ghostly, elegant predecessors.

Sybil and Blake Gregory are the quintessential 21st century power couple: she a cutting-edge interior designer; he a forward-thinking top business analyst. They revel in the privileged, ordered life they lead in Manhattan with their children, teenagers Andr
Published December 13th 2018 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Past Perfect, please sign up.
Sherry You could check out the Outlander series. It's a good, popular series with a main character that lives in two time periods.

Suzanne
2.5*

I liked a little bit of it, but honestly it got strange when the ghosts showed up. It had some interesting aspects when they did but I just could not get as into this one as I do other Danielle Steel books, or even other paranormal genre books. On to the next Steel book for me!
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2018
Well, I don't even know what this was. Whilst I must applaud Danielle Steel for getting out of her comfort zone, this made absolutely no sense whatsoever and I am still trying to get my head around it.
I don't want to label it as the worst Danielle Steel book I have ever read, but yeah.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
You need to suspend a fair bit of disbelief to enjoy this one and perhaps put your magical hat on! Otherwise an interesting paranormal/supernatural/historical offering from Danielle Steel. A light read that I whipped through in an evening.

*Book 's' of the a-z author challenge 2018.
Sherri Thacker
This book started off great but once the ghosts came into the picture, I wasn’t sure what to make of it all. I’m not sure I believe in ghosts and I found myself questioning how this family from “Today” was actually conversing with a family from “100+ years ago.” I found that I kept skimming through some of the “ghost” talks but I kept reading. And even though I first thought “this is crazy” all of a sudden I found myself wanting to know more about 100 years ago. So I did enjoy this book overall. ...more
Tim
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After first being turned off by snobism, classism and racism, Ms. Steele manages to find her stroke when she stops writing about these, "isms," to instead, focus on the story. Initially, I thought this may warrant a 1-star However, Ms. Steel found her form in the second half, save for one underdeveloped and underutilized female character and missed the opportunity. 6 fo 10 stars
Susan Becraft
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous, even by Danielle Steele standards

Each time I pick up a Danielle Steele book, usually to be read while passing time in an airport, I ask myself why I waste my money. This book hit a new low.

Sybil and Blake Gregory, with their three children, live in a four bedroom Tribeca apartment. When Blake is offered the job of a lifetime at a San Francisco startup, he convinces Sybil to uproot the family and quickly move to the west coast for at least two years.

While searching for an appropriate
Esther E. Willson
Well, this is weird....

I like it!
I think you may too. Families from 1917 and 2017 somehow meet and become friends after the younger clan purchases the elder's home in San Francisco. The house had been cherished by its original owners. After the new ones obtain and reposition much of the 19th century fittings and furniture, the spirits appear and new friendships span a century.
Though this is a love story, it involves the love of family and friends in addition to romance. Anyone merely in the moo
Donnell
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jeanne
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a stretch in believeability; however, the story was endearing and shows how the importance of family is priceless and timeless. Just OK for me -- 4 out of 10.
Debbie
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a typical Danielle Steel book. This book deals with ghosts. A family , the Gregory's, move cross country and buy a historical mansion. They find it is inhabited by a family of ghosts , the Butterfields, from 100 years ago. These ghosts are very friendly and can only be seen by the the Gregory family. This book follows the interaction between both families. It was a fun and interesting read and a reminder not all ghosts are unfriendly.
Autumn Duncan
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this a zero. I love Danielle Steel. I've read everything she's written. This was disappointing. The whole thing was ridiculous. I finished it only because I didn't want to end my streak with her books.
Liz
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A slice-of-life novel about two families living 100 years apart side by side.

As a ghost story, this was not very engaging, Steel admits herself that she doesn't like conventional time travel stories and so tries to put a personal spin on it by using ghosts, however, it just comes across confusing and unnecessary because, evidently, she doesn't know much about or really care for ghost stories either. This book really should have just been about the Butterfield's, the Gregory's did little to noth
Nancy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anita Soni
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Totally ridiculous! I understand that she is probably run out of ideas because so many books every year, but this, sorry Danielle, I expected better from you! I don't want to write anything more so I don't give away the story to others who might actually be reading the book write now.
Laura Rash
I think this is the lowest rating I’ve ever given a DS book. A little out of the normal for her, as in paranormal, and it just didn’t do it for me.
lacy
3.5 stars!

tw: child death, parental death, sexist comments (not challenged)

Well this was a first for DS. She has never written a ghost story before and in some aspects, I could tell. Mainly, because it wasn't scary. However, she wrote a nice letter explaining why she wrote this and how nervous she was. I thought that was nice. Kudos to DS for writing outside her comfort zone. I can always respect an author that tries to branch out of their normal comfort zone.

Now for the real question: Did it
Bert Z
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trust Danielle Steel to write a haunted house story where the living people get along and live harmoniously with the ghosts, it’s classic cute and innocent Steel.

On the whole I did enjoy this novel, the 3rd act started to get a little convoluted with characters and events, but mostly it was a fun read.
Carol Bailey
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would it feel like to live in a house that was inhabited with the original owners, even though they lived there 100 years ago. Sybil and Blake purchase a home that is owned by the bank that is a mansion and three days later they begin to see people that look like the portraits that are on the walls.
Linda
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just didn’t do a lot for me. I found it to be a slow read and a bit predictable, which is a shame, because typically, I enjoy paranormal topics.
Tiffany Foskey
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in the book Danielle Steele tells us that she doesn't like stories like this one with time travel and ghosts. I have to say though that even though she wrote outside of her normal realm this book is another Danielle Steele success!!!!!! I loved this book and the characters in it. I didn't want it to end and read it in one day. I had to make myself put it down. will highly recommend this book!!!!!
Teri
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Waste of time. Being a big fan of Danielle Steel books, I kept reading this one waiting for it to get good but it never got there. Was a huge disappointment. The storyline was ridiculous and boring. What a waste of time.
Janet
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book.

A New York family buys a house in San Francisco, and finds out the family that lived there 100 years before are living there as ghosts.

This begins a beautiful friendship and we follow both families for many years.
Ann
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual for Danielle Steel but so well crafted. This is the type of ghost family I would like to meet!
Loved the characters and the setting, besides I had an Irish mother who believed in friendly ghosts who liked to stay in favorite places! She believed we had one that came back only at Christmas!
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not a bad idea for a story per se but not executed well.
Julie Barrett
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Past perfect by Steel_ Danielle
Cybil and Blake married almost 20 years and they have 3 kids-2 in high school and one in first grade, born and raised in NYC and love it there.
Blake gets an offer in San Fran and goes out to check it out-there is nothing that will keep him from going there and making tons of money-he has to persuade his wife and kids to go also...
Not only did he take the job but bought a huge house, very old for them to move into.
20,000 square feet 1902 house with storage that incl
DATE READ 01/29/2018
RATING 4. 5/B+
GENRE/ PUB DATE/PUBLISHER / # OF Fiction/ 2017/Random House/282 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: SA
FIRST LINES: Blake Gregory sat looking out his office window in New York, pondering the offer he had just been made to be the CEO of a new high-tech social media start-up in San Francisco.

CHARACTERS Blake & Sybil and their 3 children Andy, Caroline, Charlie and the Butterworth family
TIME/PLACE: Present/San Francisco
COMMENTS: Ve
Jake Wright
This book was OKAY.. I didn’t really understand the message behind it. I enjoyed the characters, but I thought they were all introduced far too quickly and found it confusing to keep track of who was who at first. I respect the uniqueness of this Danielle Steel book, but I couldn’t find the overall message she was trying to present in it.
Tammy
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read almost all of Danielle Steels books. This book was very different than her usual. She has never written about Ghosts before and it is about a family that buys a house that is 100 years old. The original owners have all passed on but appear to the new owners every night in the dinning room. It was interesting but not one of my favorites.
Deborah Imhof
Dec 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh not my taste

I've been a fan of D. Steel for decades and I have to say it's my LEAST favorite novel. I found the story lacking. I'm not a historical fiction fan so perhaps that made the story drag on. There wasn't much to really grab hold of with regards to characters so I never really felt invested in the story or the people in it. Disappointed to say t h e least
Kathleen Sleigh
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Laura lent me this book as she said it was a nice and light read. I really enjoyed it, but found it a little weird having real life people associating with ghosts (even though it’s just a story). But I really enjoyed the dynamics of the relationships in the books and how certain situations can test relationships. I highly recommend as I couldn’t put the book down!
Writing Style 1 11 Dec 31, 2017 09:15PM

• Marlon Bundo's Day in the Life of the Vice President
  • The Three Miss Allens
  • Laws in Conflict (Burren Mysteries #8)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Skinflick (Dave Brandstetter, #5)
  • Margot at War: Love and Betrayal in Downing Street, 1912-1916
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Three Gold Coins
  • A Dark History: The Popes
  • No Greater Love
  • Crossing Bok Chitto
  • Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #19)
  • Gideon's Spear (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #2)
  • The Mum Who’d Had Enough
  • The Club
  • Pink Slipper
  • Richard III: Brother, Protector, King
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
“results. He had applied to Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth. He was thinking of applying to Stanford too, but didn’t think he’d get in. Two of his friends and he had become interested in the University of Edinburgh, which was an unusual choice. Andy liked everything about it except the weather, and going to school in Europe appealed to him. Andy mentioned it at dinner and Uncle Angus heartily encouraged him. “Wonderful school. I went there myself. Much livelier than Oxford” 0 likes
“Victorian” 0 likes