Start by marking “At War with a Broken Heart” as Want to Read:
At War with a Broken Heart

At War with a Broken Heart

A May-to-December MMM Romance.

What's the perfect recipe for an emotional MMM romance?

One autistic coffee shop owner, one morose mug maker, and a mostly cheerful police detective.

Fie Morogh Russell goes off to war with a broken heart and returns with a shattered spirit. He hermits away in Bideford, Devon, making mugs, with his service dog, Haggard, for company. Post-trau
Published February 26th 2019 by Hot Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about At War with a Broken Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At War with a Broken Heart

Ula'ndi Hart
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cover-i-like
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 4

This one is a little bit of a puzzle to me, by way of figuring out what exactly I feel after I read it.

Did I like the idea of the whole thing?

Of course, that’s why I left everything I’m busy with and read it in the first place. Ex-soldiers with PTSD, not one, but TWO! And a younger guy who needs a little TLC. Hmmm. Yeah it made me sit up and take note alright.

Sadly, I have a very vivid imagination. And it sometimes just jumps in and spoils thi
Truuss
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2019
What an emotional story this was, and stunningly written. The constantly blowing breeze of comfort and uncomforted throughout this story was so palpable.
The wonderful defined characters of these three men stole my heart, also the secondary characters were wonderfully developed. There are despicable ones who will not be named.

There is Davet, the youngest of the three, owner of Coffee First coffee bar and autist, Fie mug maker, ex military, owner of Haggard his service dog and Sid from the same mi
Caipi
First of all, one of the MCs is autistic and although I believe that the author has described his behavior and emotions realistically, I simply don't have the knowledge to judge this. My rating says only how much I enjoyed or rather not enjoyed this book.

Well, we have three main characters, Davet, an autistic coffee shop owner in his twenties and Fie and Sid, two traumatized Afghanistan veterans in their forties who all fall in love with each other. An interesting constellation that made me curi
namericanwordcat
Fie, Davet, and Sydney make such a wonderful romance. This is my favorite book I have read by Dahlia Donovan. Here, she balances the very serious topics here of grief, PTSD, and social prejudice against people with autism.

Each hero is fully developed and that balance and watching them date and court is wonderful. The youngest of our heroes, Davet, is created with the agency too often taken away from characters with disabilities. We get to see Fie's healing journey. Sydney finally get his man an
Rachel Emily
I don't know what it is exactly, but I have a little bit of a hard time connecting with this author and her writing style. I felt the same I did after reading another story from her - I love the British-isms of it and I love her pets (Haggard was the best! 14/10, a good boy). With this story, being about a threesome with some angst and may/december age gap, that's all the makings for a story that I would love. But as I was reading, (and especially when this is such an emotional story what with F ...more
Shannon
This was a lovely, thought-provoking story of loss, love, and learning to live again. It's heartfelt and poignant, and definitely made me feel. And I appreciated how delicately certain situations were handled in this book.
MMM can de tricky, especially if there's already an established couple bringing in a third, but that was not the case in this book. Even though 2 of the men had a bit of history, that had no impact on what was developing between the 3. I very much enjoyed seeing them build a re
Maria Vickers
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dahlia Donvan has done it again! A brilliant story that will leave you emotionally both high and drained. I'm going to be honest, I didn't know what to expect from this book, but given this is one of my must-read authors, I had to check it out and I'm so happy I did. I was blown away by everything about this book.

So many times in books that go into a poly relationship, something gets lost in translation. The characters don't stand out as much, and even if the story has a good premise, it comes
Natalie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this romance from a new to me author, especially the setting in the U.K. Fie is veteran with PTSD, isolating himself in his cottage making pottery to sell. He also has a service dog named Haggard (who is probably my favorite thing in the whole story). Sidney, currently a police detective has known Fie for a very long time through serving with Fie and had a one-night stand with him at some point in the past. Both are drawn to the local coffeeshop owner, Davet and are oft
K.R. Phoenix
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 4.5 stars
🔥🔥🔥 Heat Level: 3.5

A beautiful healing love story, not like anything else I’ve read!

I loved these characters. They are all broken in there own way and definitely have their own quirks but they fit so well together. I loved Davet and the fact that he’s proudly autistic. The first half of this book broke my heart. It’s tragic and complex and the writing by Dahlia is exceptional! There is so much detail and insight into the autistic mind. As the mother of a gifted autistic son, I lov
Kristina
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really great story! The characters were great and each one different from the next, yet similar in the most important parts. I think this is the first time I have come across an autistic character that I can remember and I really liked the way Dahlia handled writing him.

Davet was such a strong character who knows his limits and knows what he needs when things get to be too much for him. There are small things that Davet does that I do when I get over whelmed at times.

Fie has so much u
Cee Brown
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
•*)✯ .•*)
✮ (.•3.5 stars

The story took a different turn than what I had anticipated. It was raw and angst-filled. The trio all had issues with emotions and the slow burn was sloooow! I was actually left wanting. I will say that there was a moment or two that I shed a tear, or got upset; but I know the it was intended for the story to be told. I didn't like what Davet had gone through and I wished that he had gotten better closure. There was some growth in characterization and a happy ending had b
ML
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never read this author before and was intrigued by the blurb.
The dynamic of the 3 characters was very different than your typical mmm story.
As the story unfolds, you really fall in love with the characters. They are funny and clever. All 3 have their daily struggles but together they find love and mend each other’s hearts.

Will definitely read more books by this author.
Paula´s  ShortReview
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
No me gustó nada y además me resultó tremendamente aburrido.
Se centra en traumas, tristezas y decepciones y no profundiza en la relación, no empatizas y acabas perdiendo totalmente el interés por la historia y por los MC
Debbie
Davet and his younger brother moved to Bideford, in Cornwall to be away from their abusive parents. Davet runs a coffee shop and Fie goes every day for his coffee before starting in his pottery shop. Sid is a local police officer who also frequents the coffee shop, mostly when Fie is there too. All three men have crushed on each other for several years. When Davet is dealt a devastating blow, Fie and Sid have to rally round Davet, to keep the younger man from crumbling. Can they really make thi ...more
JenCW
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars!

Davet, an autistic coffee shop owner, and two war veterans, Fie and Sidney, are forming a romantic relationship. Fie is struggling with PTSD after his military service. Sidney was in the same military unit as Fie; they are good friends. All the men are struggling with different family issues as well as their own personal struggles. There are lots of pieces here for a story that could have been a great read for me, but I just felt disconnected from it.

I liked Davet. He's a sweetheart,
R
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-m, reviewed
Fie went to war with a broken heart and came home totally broken. His service dog Haggard helps ground him. Sid has been in love with him for years, during their time in the service together and after. Choosing to spend his life working in a small out of the way police department just to be near Fie. Davit, an autistic young man, raising his brother and running a small coffee shop. Each man is interested in the others but unwilling to take the final steps to bring them together.

When Davit exper
Lisa
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5*

This was a very sweet read. Even though it is a M/M/M the focus is on the relationships between the three men rather than the sex. This was a younger man, Davet and older men, Fie and Sid read. These were all very different characters, all with their own issues. Davet is autistic and suffers a horrific tragedy at the start of this book. His parents are amongst the worst imaginable. Fie has returned from war a broken hero, accompanied by his service dog Haggard, he tries to keep himse
Jeff
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply Excellent. This is a gay polyamorous romance wherein each of the three men in the relationship have different reasons to be broken, and the author does an excellent job of showing all the warts yet also showing how they heal each other. Truly an excellent romance, even without my next points.

One of the three men in question is Autistic, as is this reader. And this is one of the better representations of Autism I've ever seen in a novel. The author understands Autistics in such depth that
Faye Kennedy
An okayish book. This is a slow burn romance for three guys who connect helping through tragedy.  Beautifully written but for me it was too slow for romance starting. I loved the characters, banter between Fie and Sid was fun. A story also investigates what happened to Fraco, their parents abuse and other themes. Unrequited love between three is never said for years.
Fie was a return war vet coming back a changed man who started making mugs. Detective Sid and Fie where lovers once and Sid wanted
Kathy Wideman
Dahlia has done it again. I love her book so much. I don’t even bother reading the synopsis anymore I just pick them up. This is a M/M/M book so if that’s not something you’re okay with this book isn’t for you. This book starts out on a low note but winds up bringing all three characters together. Davet is autistic and owns the local coffee shop, Fie is a scared military vet who now makes mugs, and Sid was in the military with Fie and is now a local police officer. All three have their own issue ...more
Georgiana
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emotional and engaging story

I enjoyed Fie, Sid and Davet as they each had different personalities. I liked how each character got their chance to speak. Getting to know and understand them helped a lot with watching each one battle their own personal issues and then overcome them. This wasn’t just about sex for the three men, but about friendship and then becoming lovers. The men really are better together.

This was about loss and how to learn to live and even love after. The author does a great
Jennie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this emotional read. A story of 3 friends wanting to be more and just starting to think about it when tragedy strikes. Fie and Sid are great in their support of autistic Davet. Both with his autism and helping him cope with his grief.

I really enjoyed the Britishness of it. The language was great and came off as real and authentic to me. I loved the Banter between Fie and Sid. There were quite a few laugh out load moments.

A sweet story about growth, family and the bumpy road to love.
Monique Hebert
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
When started the book I wasn't too sure if I was liking it too much. I accepted to read this ARC without reading the blurb, just accepting that i enjoyed MM romance, even more MMM romance.
When started the book I wasn't too sure if I was liking it too much. I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around what 2 alpha males had in common with someonebwith autism. As I kept reading I began to enjoy the storyline, their story, their histories and their relationship. More of Davet's personality emer
Dee Winston
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It's a great example of everyone deserves someone to love them no matter what. Each of these men had their own cross to carry, and they excepted each other in spite of it. They all catered to each other even before they all got in a relationship. Davet was my favorite, he gave some much to other people around him. And when he was in need it came back to him .He made my heart full.
Sharon Sims
Awesome Book!!!

I believe this is my first introduction to
Dahlia Donovan. I absolutely loved this book!!
Full of love, laughter and sadness. I can't wait
To read more from Dahlia!! Thank you so much!!
😘😘😘😘. The site wouldn't post the 5 stars I gave 😢
Aerielle
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book surprised me. I thought it was going to be very angsty and hard to get through but it wasn’t. The book deals with coping with the loss of loved ones in many ways. It was a beautiful story of 3 men coming together after tragedy. Highly recommend!!!
Tina LoveBooksDK
This is probably one of the best books I've read for a long time, one I couldn't put down before I finished reading it! This was a new author to me, and I am so excited to read more from her. it was so beautiful writing <3
Sheila Kell
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling read!

I’ve never read a MMM romance, but chose to review AT WAR WITH A BROKEN HEART because I love Dahlia Donovan’s writing. Dahlia creates heartfelt stories that stay alive in your soul well after you read the final word.

No one is perfect and that makes it this story all the richer as it opened my eyes to our imperfect world. Fie, Sid, and Davet’s unique lives compelled me to read this straight through. I could’ve read about them well past how this story ended.

There is an abundance
cupcakes and bookshelves
My first read by Dahlia and it was wonderful. These 3 men were wonderful, loved every moment.... sad and thought provoking at times though. A book I really snuggled into, I'm really going to miss these characters.
4.5 Stars

*ARC kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much*
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully told story of love, loss and lust. May I introduce Fie, Sid and Davet....three gorgeous, intriguing and utterly beguiling men who are taking tentative steps into a sweet, sensuous and delicious polymorous relationship.

Written in a way that is compelling and had me falling for all three men.

I couldn't pick one character alone as a favourite as their uniqueness and abilities to gently remove each others barriers weaves an enchanting spell of love, acceptance and understandin
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dahlia Donovan wrote her first romance series after a crazy dream about shifters and damsels in distress. She prefers irreverent humour and unconventional characters. An autistic and occasional hermit, her life wouldn’t be complete without her husband and her massive collection of books and video games.