Start by marking “The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)

The Vine Witch

(The Vine Witch #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  28,896 ratings  ·  2,826 reviews
A young witch emerges from a curse to find her world upended in this gripping fantasy of betrayal, vengeance, and self-discovery set in turn-of-the-century France.

For centuries, the vineyards at Château Renard have depended on the talent of their vine witches, whose spells help create the world-renowned wine of the Chanceaux Valley. Then the skill of divining harvests fell
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2019 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Vine Witch, please sign up.
Amber Black This information was on Amazon

The Glamourist (The Vine Witch Book 2) Jun 16, 2020
by Luanne G. Smith …more
This information was on Amazon

The Glamourist (The Vine Witch Book 2) Jun 16, 2020
by Luanne G. Smith (less)

·  28,896 ratings  ·  2,826 reviews

Start your review of The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
HA HA HA HA! You’re wrong! That’s not my reaction after I finished this book. This is the meaningless, cruel, insidious laughter of my neighbors who spy on me when I perform my happy dance ( this time is great mash up of Moonwalk-ing and young Britney moves –millions rehabs before-) after I find the idea of witches and vinery heavenly! Next time I will not forget to close my windows.
My reaction was sweet combination of cursing and frustration cries!

So yes we have an amazing start of a story. E
Mel (Epic Reading)
DNF at 35%
Whomever wrote the blurb for this book should be given a talking to. Not once in that entire blurb does it mention romance, love interest, growing attraction, or any of the key words I would expect given the clear and obvious intent of The Vine Witch to be a romance novel. It's okay for it to be a romance novel, but tell me that up-front so that I'm not disappointed.

Luanne G. Smith does a few other disservices to her novel in the first 35% that I read.
Here are a few points that real
Dilushani Jayalath
I am very excited to announce that I successfully managed to finish this book while swiping off a good half a bottle of merlot too. Honestly, it’s purely futile if you don’t drink at least one good glass of wine while reading this book. This book makes you crave it like no other.

This is one of the books that I have been waiting for long time to read. One of those books that gripped me in its talons the moment I laid my eyes on the cover. Normally I would say that in the end it did not stay up t
sarah xoxo
S U M M A R Y
The Vine Witch is a perfect October read that emanates a spooky, autumnal atmosphere. We follow our main character, Elena after she emerges from a curse that has left her as a toad for the past 7 years. Elena is a vine witch who lives in France tending to the vineyards of Château Renard. When she returns, she finds out the vineyard has been taken over by Jean-Paul, a city man who dismisses the country folk's belief in witchcraft as backward thinking and superstitious. But despite a
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
4 wining Stars

A light, historical, murder mystery, romance, fantasy read that will have you anticipating each turn of the page.

This book is a mix of so many different genres neatly wrapped together in a superb read.
Kayla
Sep 03, 2019 marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
AAAHHHH I was literally just telling someone how I thought this sounded super interesting and then the Kindle first newsletter comes out and this is one of the choices 😍
HBalikov
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my cup of wine

My apologies for being on the move and writing this with my phone app. It is a desperate attempt to get my thoughts down on a book that I thought would be less romantic perils and more wine in a fantasy world.

Elena is a wine witch, a special person whose gifts include being at one with her vineyard. Even without the hexes and curses from other "witches," her days would be full communicating with her vines and the bugs, birds and soil.

Smith's thoughts on the subject are interes
Constantine

Rating: 3.0/5.0

Genre:
Fantasy

Set in France in the Chanceaux Valley. After 7 years of being cursed and trapped in a toad body the vine witch, Elena Boureanu breaks the curse and it is the time take revenge from the person who she thinks has cursed her (Her fiance Bastien Du Monde). When she returns to the vineyard she used to live and work in she finds out that it is sold and the owner is Jean-Paul Martel who does not want to do anything with witches. When she tries to take revenge for being curs
~ A rather bookish
Jul 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bleh
So, as I sit here on this rather bleak and dreary Wednesday afternoon, my thoughts wander to what I might read next, and also, what the hell, was the point of The Vine Witch? This book should definitely come with a pre-warning to any seemingly promising potential buyer, of "Whatever you do, just don't let that gorgeous cover fool you!"

Seriously, I couldn't even recommend this to a person I dislike.

Thankfully, this was a free book with Amazon first reads, so there are no precious coins lost ther
pagesofchapters
Oct 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Well this book was definitely a disappointment. I had seen pretty good reviews from this book, and was even recommended it but it really didn’t live up to my expectations.

Now going into this books I will admit that I was very excited. I mean a story with witches, a murder mystery, and a love story? Count me in! However, in my opinion there were many things wrong with this book. While I can definitely see the appeal that brings people to like The Vine Witch, it definitely wasn’t for me. For major
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Vine Witch is the perfect book for fall, or even as we transition to the coziness of winter. It’s full of ambience and warm characters.

The vineyards at Chateau Renard are grateful for the love and care of the vine witches, who assist in the creation of the famous wine. All that falls apart when Elena Boureanu is cursed.

Many seasons later, Elena has finally broken free of the curse and seeks to return to her vineyard when she finds a handsome man, Jean-Paul Martel, now owns it.

Jean-Paul belie
Gary
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a decent read. It went quickly. It was really filler for me that landed in between a couple of other books I am reading, and it served it’s purpose. The characters were fairly well developed (at least the major ones were) and the plot was simplistic and straightforward.
It’s a revenge story- a vine witch is back to get revenge on the person that she is fairly sure cast a nasty spell on her. The magic system shows a lot of potential, and there are moments that this author’s talent re
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
What is better than a witchy read this time of year? Not much.
I really enjoyed this story, so much more than I expected and I'm so glad I took a chance on it. Filled with magic, mystery, danger, adventure, spells, demons, love, friendship, lessons, and so much more, this truly was a delight to read and absolutely perfect for this time of year.
Jennifer Kyle
3.5 Stars

This story was interesting and did it hold my attention. However, the love aspect was desperately lacking in feel, description and connection.
Keri
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
There’s nothing like spending the last 7 years as a toad, is there? Right off the bat, this book had me intrigued, eager to see where this story would take us.
How could she wish for anything else but to be part of the vineyard? Its terroir was her blood, its mist her breath, its soil her bones, its harvest her unborn child.

I adored this historical fantasy world and all the magic that it contained. I love the idea of all these different types of witches who secretly specialize in the creation
Erika Sarutobi
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I honestly had more expectations out of this book but sadly I was left disappointed. I was expecting more vine growing info and moments, more spells and definitely more of that romance but barely got any of that.

It started off so well until the second half for me. I'm a big fan of enemies to lovers which is what I got in this book, however the author decided to let it develop off screen and just give us glimpses which sucked for me since I wanted more of it.

I was expecting some spell b
Patty (IheartYA)
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well-written and intriguing, The Vine Witch is a short novel you'll want to sip and savor. The writing was my favorite aspect because it flowed so eloquently. The story has a unique flavor and cast of characters. If you're in the mood for a different kind of witch story, you've found it.
Jackie Cain
I finished this book only because it was an Amazon First Reads and I felt under an obligation to finish it after having downloaded it. I thought it was an interesting concept but the story bored me so much so that I took a break in the middle and read something else!

A lot of the story is told from the point of view of the main character, Elena, and I just didn't believe in her. It possibly didn't help that there is a lot of telling and quite a lot of repetition. Even where there is an idea for a
N.W. Moors
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a book starts from the viewpoint of a toad, you know you're reading an original and unusual story. Elena is a vine witch, one who uses her spells to enhance the vineyards of the Château Renard, a common occupation in the Chanceaux Valley. When she finally reverses the curse that changed her to a toad, she returns to find that the Chateau has been sold. Jean-Paul is a man of science who scoffs at the country folk and their witchcraft, but his vines aren't doing well and he doesn't know why.
T
Bookphenomena (Micky)
THE VINE WITCH was a case of a really strong start and an exciting story that didn’t quite keep hold of that promise all the way through. This was a historical fantasy, set in the wineries of France with a rich history of witches working with the vines and elements to produce good wine. I absolutely loved this idea and the main character Elena was so interesting. Elena remained a strong characterisation throughout, she carried the show.

The story started with a curse, a toad and transformation. E
☕️Kimberly
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elena Boureanu is a vine witch who casts spells to enhance the vineyards of the Château Renard, situated in the Chanceaux Valley. Or at least she did before someone cast a spell on her.

She had been missing seven years. Most suspected she was dead. Upon her return she discovers the woman she thinks of as a grandmother has sold the vineyards to Jean-Paul Martel. Jean-Paul is a former lawyer and man of science who doesn’t believe in the areas practice of vine witches, but something is wrong with th
Jackie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooray for a complete story

Nicely written, this book grabbed me from the beginning. The World Building was great, and the characters were appealing. I read it straight through to the satisfying ending. And it did end, without forcing you to read a next book. I've almost forgotten what that was like.

The whole idea of various witches, including Vine Witches, was intriguing. Yes, there were other Supernaturals included, but the Vine (Wine) witches were the focus. The story starred a strong Heroine,
Ian
I'm so happy.
The Vine Witch is perfect.
From the first page to the last, I cannot fault this book.
Alaina
WINE AND WITCHES? Sign me tf up.

The Vine Witch seemed interesting. Heck the title and synopsis alone made me want to dive into it. Yet, once I did it was kind of meh and disappointing. It started off great but then slowly drained me of my soul. I just couldn't get into it anymore which is why it basically took me a while month to finish it.

In it, you will meet Elena and Jean-Paul. AT first, they were interesting. I mean the whole who cursed Elena to a toad was intriguing enough. However, after a
Marta Cox
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Three and a half
I saw this beautiful cover and having read the synopsis was really keen to read this book. Its essentially an historical look at the possibilities of Witches in France and has a fabulous beginning with of all things a sentient toad or does it ? Actually no because for seven years Elena, a Vine Witch has been under a curse and when she finally breaks it her return home isn't exactly a pleasure because the Vineyard has been sold . So not only does she have to track down who cursed
Somia
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having spent years trapped in an intricate curse, Vine Witch (sorcière) Elena Boureanu, finally is able to free herself, once free her mind and heart are consumed with gaining bloody vengeance on the mysterious figure who had her so cruelly trapped.

I really, really liked the start of this book, it had me intrigued and engaged. The first half of this book I would give 3.5 solid stars but sadly the second half of the book lost something, pacing got slower and slower and it took certain characters
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
*almost DNFd at 50%*

For years, French wine has been perfected by witchcraft. These women, called vine witches, cast spells to ripen grapes and age barrels more rapidly. In this full-bodied supernatural mystery/romance, Elena breaks her seven year curse with one objective, revenge. She returns to Chateau Renard to assist its current owner, Jean-Paul Martel, remove hexes from his vineyard.

Jean-Paul is a man of science. Elena must hide her true identity while biding her time. The truth about her h
Melike
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
Witchcraft, folklore, murder mystery, and romance all wrapped in one. It ended up being a surprisingly good and entertaining read for me. I look forward to the second book which will be out in 2020.
Lukasz
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, witches
I’m not sure why I’ve picked The Vine Witch. I have no interest in wine and even less in books with a significant romance arc. I won’t say no to a glass of good wine or to a good romance book, but I don’t actively seek them out. Maybe it was the cover? No idea. To my surprise, I adored every second of Smith’s debut. A sign that I’m growing old and sentimental for sure.

The Vine Witch, set in a fantasy version of rural France, blends romance, folklore, witchcraft, and murder mystery. Elena Bourea
Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

The Vine Witch is a magical adventure in turn-of-the-century France where witches are depended upon for their special talents in the vineyards. Vigneron Jean-Paul Martel believes in science, he knows he can produce a perfect wine at Château Renard just as the vignerons of the past, he doesn't need a witch. Elena Boureanu doesn't give him the option of accepting her help though, even if she has to lie about her talents. After spending seven years cu

• The Will and the Wilds
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • The Last of the Moon Girls
  • The First Girl Child
  • The New Witch
  • The Secrets of Lost Stones
  • Siege and Sacrifice (Numina #3)
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • When We Believed in Mermaids
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • Everything You Are
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Your Perfect Year
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • The Impossible Girl
  • In the Dark
Luanne G. Smith is the author of THE VINE WITCH, THE GLAMOURIST, and THE CONJURER (Out January 2021). She’s lucky enough to live in Colorado at the base of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, where she enjoys reading, gardening, hiking, a glass of wine at the end of the day, and finding the magic in everyday life.

The Vine Witch (3 books)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • The Conjurer (The Vine Witch, #3)

Articles featuring this book

What's popular right now? Memoirs, books available on Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading, and the latest from big authors, including Margaret...
“What the eye couldn’t see, the imagination filled in. We put names to the unexplained. Cast it as something to either fear or worship. And yet just because a thing can’t be seen doesn’t mean it isn’t real.” 31 likes
“The heart had a tendency to harden off after being forced to survive inside a life two sizes too small, deprived of the oxygen of dreams.” 19 likes