Start by marking “The Loot” as Want to Read:
The Loot

The Loot

(Charlie McCabe #1)

She fought for her country. Now she’s fighting for her family.

When Sergeant Charlie McCabe returns from fighting in Afghanistan, she hopes to leave the war behind. Instead, she comes home to a father whose gambling has put him in deep trouble with a violent loan shark. She finds work as a professional bodyguard, but to save her father, she needs to get serious cash togethe
Published August 1st 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Loot, please sign up.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
My dearest, shrimpiest Craig Schaefer.

You know just I much I 💕lurves💕 you and stuff. You are, after all, one of the founding members of my Holy Quintuplicity of Utter Awesomeness (HQoUA™). And my Super Extra Yummy Boyfriend (SEYB™) Danny Faust's most beloved daddy (and therefore my most beloved daddy in law and stuff). Ergo, I very quite a lot logically well, um, you know, 💕lurves💕 you and stuff. (Also, Revanche Cycle and stuff. Also also, Jessie Temple Harmony Black. So QED and stuff.)

But unfo
Lukasz
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
As a die-hard Schaefer fan, I’ll buy and read anything he writes. It’s good he writes in the genres I adore as a reader. The Loot is his first thriller novel. Having read all of Craig’s previous titles, I knew what to expect - an intoxicating flood of action, personal drama, and suspense. No supernatural elements this time, though.

Charlie (Charlene) McCabe is a leading character that you might recognize–a retired and worn soldier who hopes to leave the war behind. Unfortunately, her father’s ga
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
Oh, I thought, I'll just dip into this, just read the first few pages.

Famous last words.

Charlie McCabe is demobbed and looking for a job and a miracle; the former because everyone needs a job, the latter because her gambling-addict father is in deep with the local leg-breakers and even a job isn't going to pay the kind of money she needs... in ten days.

The story got started fast, and didn't slow down.

Schaefer is an author I follow, and he's made the jump from urban fantasy to thriller extremely
Vigasia
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

I've read all of Craig Schaefer's previous books and I love them. This novel is the little different, mostly because of lack of the supernatural elements. But it is still a gripping book with interesting characters.

Our protagonist is Charlie recently retired soldier who try to make a life as a civilian. She gets a job as a profesional bodyguard where she fast prove herself and meet some interesting people. I loved that she was EOD Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician wchich mean that
Mihir
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Overall rating = 3.5 stars

Read Lukasz & my full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Craig Schaefer's The Loot is his first official foray into the crime thriller genre. I say “official” because technically in his debut series, Craig has definitely explored aspects of the genre in a multitude of ways. However with The Loot (the first in the Charlie McCabe series), he gets to fully explore his literary muscles in a different world that’s perhaps nothing like he has done before.

When
Dayanara Ryelle
It just wasn't all that exciting. And that makes me sad. Guns, bombs, death threats, action...the book should've had me on the edge of my seat and...nothing. I may not read mysteries as a rule (mostly Stephanie Plum, and that's because Janet Evanovich knows how to write a fucking funny book!), but I've also read some great ones outside of her work (The Speed of Sound and Where the Forest Meets the Stars come to mind) and know that I don't always find the genre boring.

Still, 20+ books before he w
Kay Smillie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wee bit of a different direction for Craig Schaefer with this story of a sergeant returning from Afghanistan.

Not quite as good as his 'usual work', but you can see how easy it is for bad things to slip into someone's life. It's an entertaining story and will keep your attention the whole way through.

I received an early copy of this book via Kindle First. All opinions are my own.
Vinay Badri
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Craig Schaefer's newer branchout into a non-fantasy world is a solid and yet derivative work that is a quick read yet doing nothing for the genre. His Daniel Faust series had the undertones of crime and this crime novel harkens back to that. A strong female lead, back from war trying to find her place in the world is a good set up and Schaefer works on that element well. But the central mystery/ plot in itself did nothing for me and it kind of seemed to be by the numbers. I think I will stick to ...more
Lou Jacobs
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sergeant Charlie (Charlene) McCabe returns from fighting in Afghanistan and hopes to leave the war behind. While in the service she specialized as an EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) technician ... who would think that these skills would be helpful in civilian life. She comes home to a distant father who not only is a drunk but also an unsuccessful gambler ... in debt for $20.000 to a loan shark who wants his pound of flesh. Charlie has 10 days to make good his debt ... but certainly no reaso ...more
M
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best, new thriller-series debuts. It has everything. Bombs, gunfights, sniper-on-sniper clash, kidnapping, blackmailing.

This is a debut of a new crime-thriller (and non-fantasy) series with a tough woman lead. I enjoyed the storyline and various subplots, the quick pace, interesting new information (for me) about the private security business, and best of all, the characters that brought the story to life.

Charlene “Charlie” McCabe—ex-sergeant US Army and bomb disposal expert in Afgh
TheManOfLetters
This was somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me.

Note that I'm a big fan of Craig Schaefer's writing and loved the Daniel Faust series and the Ghosts of Gotham standalone. I also liked the Harmony Black series, though not as much as the aforementioned.
Also note that there is technically nothing wrong with "The Loot". It is Schaefer's first foray into the "mundane" world, meaning there is no magic, no demons or anything like that. But that is not a problem, because "The Loot" is still a well craft
Michael ~ Nevermoore
Quite disappointing and almost a dnf for me. I kept on reading because... Craig Schaefer. I'm a fan. I like his edgy urban fantasy stuff and I kept hoping that this book might (eventually) offer more than it did. I will read any book in his Daniel Faust series and I hope that 'Ghosts of Gotham' gets a sequel soon.

I get the impression that Craig Schaefer feels he has to prove (probably to himself) that he is capable of writing a book without any occult substance. The Loot offers an average story
Jessie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a kindle edition of this book through a Goodreads giveaway. (Thank you!) This was an author I'd never read before, and maybe a book I'd never have read. It was non-stop action, and although it was a tad predictable, it didn't lessen my enjoyment of reading it. It was a good mix of characters, and with its now civilian/former Army main character, it would appeal to a variety of audiences. Another thing I liked is that it didn't contain gratuitous swearing. Some, yes, but not like other ...more
Chris
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Schaefer definitely took a risk departing from his urban fantasy roots to write a crime drama, but man, it paid off.

The writing is just as sharp as any of his other series, and the group of paramilitary misfits that make up the cast are fun and varied and witty without going too far into that sort of over-quirky, over-processed dialogue. The stakes feel real, the mystery is engaging without being silly and over complicated, and the book is a page turner from start to finish.

I've aways been a fan
Andrew Hughes
Not a bad read....hovering right on the threshold between 3 and 4 stars for me. I have never read anything before by Craig Schaefer and it was generally well-paced and enjoyable, even though the diamond discovery stretched my imagination and the physical possibilities to the limit!

The kind of book that doesn't require any effort of thought on the part of the reader, just sit back and let it flow.

Not sure I am wild about Charlie McCabe but I would definitely give some of the authors other books
Kathleen Gray
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting start to a new series with a strong female protagonist in Charlie McCabe. She's out of the military but having a tough go trying to help her father (does he deserve her help?). You'll learn a lot about private security, as Charlie finds herself guarding Charlie Ellis, a despicable man. I liked her, as well as her colleagues Beckett, and Dom. Charlie's got some moral questions about what she's doing, which is a good thing. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. A fast and entertaining re ...more
wilfredo rodriguez
Another perfect story

There are very few writers that, when you get their next book, you know it will be perfect. The late Robert B. Parker was one, and Craig Schafer is another. No matter the story, the setting, the character, it is perfect. Charlie McCabe would give Spenser fits, and Hawk would be admiring from afar. I truly enjoyed this read and will be getting the audio book so I can enjoy it again.
Mark
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading

I like books that are well paced. This story has very little downtime, while still making time for character development (I also really like books that make me care about the characters, which it does in spades). Hope there's a sequel at some point, as I would like to get to know these people more.
Mjke
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly good read. Nothing especially deep or profound but kept me entertained. The pages kept turning even though it's not the kind of book I'd usually enjoy. And yes, I would read another by this author.
Hugh
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cracking story, well told

Fast paced, well written book, with likeable, believable characters, especially the protagonist.

Read this in three sittings over four days - would have devoured it quicker, but, you know, life...
Karl Poff
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Great character development, great pacing, enjoyable and likable characters. I can relate to the veteran and what it's like trying to enter a civilian world as well as never feeling like you left. You can read any of Craig's book and you won't be disappointed.
Ronald Miller
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting

So many twist and turns so the characters were well felt I knew them, like the good guys or gals disliked the bad.
Lee Belbin
A tightly written and entertaining story. It is not my genre but it is an enjoyable, diverting read. It has a few too many happy exits from impossible situations for my (4-star) liking.
Janice Hull
My thoughts!!!!

Really enjoyed the story kept you wanting to finish it. Also hoping for more stories with Charlie and her new career!!!
John Harris
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice thriller

I liked the characters and the story was fast paced.

Hoping this becomes a series as it was a great story!
andrew holling
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad at all, loads of action and a decent ending.
Megan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The tension was perfect throughout and the characters were all interesting. I can't wait for the next one.
Duvie Dafinone
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait

Looking forward to the next instalment to see what you throw at her. Just the right balance to keep you reading till you finish the book.
Loulou
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Great story, good pace, good narrator. I like that Craig Schaefer writes kick arse women. More please!
Frank Tackett
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller

Well written with plenty of action and suspense .looking forward to reading more from this author. Charles McCabe is a good lead character with plenty of action.
Craig Schaefer's books have taken readers to the seamy edge of a criminal underworld drenched in shadow (the Daniel Faust series), to a world torn by war, poison and witchcraft (the Revanche Cycle), and across a modern America mired in occult mysteries and a conspiracy of lies (the Harmony Black series).

Despite this, people say he's strangely normal. Suspiciously normal, in fact. His home on the W

Charlie McCabe (2 books)
  • The Insider (Charlie McCabe #2)