Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1)

Go back to the beginning as the critically acclaimed pop culture phenomenon Buffy The Vampire Slayer is reimagined under the guidance of series creator Joss Whedon. This is the Buffy Summers you know, who wants what every average teenager wants: friends at her new school, decent grades, and to escape her imposed destiny as the next in a long line of vampire slayers tasked ...more
Published January 23rd 2019 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1

Start your review of Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1
Kori ☾
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am here for this. I am a Buffy stan to the 10th degree. I have my PHD in Buffyverse. Great solid first issue, love the little easter eggs hidden in the artwork, also love the fact that they mention certain canon things that happened in the show.

I like the revamped (no pun intended) versions of Xander and Willow. Xander is much more bearable and not clingy. Willow also has a good sense of style and doesn't seem as weak.

Not sure if this counts as spoilers but I like the fact that Angel wasn't pr
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I'm not totally sold on this comics reboot of #BtVS but I'm intrigued enough to keep reading. It goes back to the beginning of the story, but it's set in present day. Some characters who didn't appear until much later (Spike, Druscilla, Anya) are there from the beginning and other characters are slightly changed (Willow is confident and an out lesbian, for example). I'm not sure how I feel about the changes but I'm open to seeing where they go. I love the art! This is 3 stars cause I'm honestly ...more
Shannon
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Hmm.

Not sure I like the changes to the original story.

2.5
ivy francis
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-18-20
I've never read a single Buffy comic nor ever caught a glimpse of the show, so this issue was perfect for me. I was already overjoyed to be able to get my hands on the Kevin Wada variant cover, and the art inside was just as dazzling. I've always been interested in Buffy, and this issue was the push I needed to finally allow myself to enter this world. It was fantastic, I'm hooked, and can't wait to see what comes next. ...more
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
★★★★★ — 5 Stars!

A modern take on a beloved classic stars our favorite characters in new scenes and new scenarios. And ultimately despite the reimagining it still remains quick witted, sassy, and Kick-Ass.
TJ
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first issue a lot! The voices were pretty spot on, the art was great, the references were fun, and it even has reread-ability to a point. And hey — it’s loads better than some of the garbage that came out in Season 11. This isn’t the story I would have chosen for BOOM! to tell, but it’s still fun and very well done. I think the twist in this issue will give merit to some fan speculation that was already swirling around a certain character. Can’t wait to see more! 5/5 stars.
James DeSantis
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buffy gets rebooted in time for the remake that's supposed to come out in the next couple of years. WhohoooOOOOOooo!

Actually, I'm just about done with Buffy's comic series that was a continuation of the TV show. While it wasn't always great (Fuck you 2nd half of season 8) it did have some great moments (season 10-11). This is a complete reboot. The first issue even feels a lot like the TV shows first few episodes, but quicker paced, but hitting same notes. Notable changes like making Willow gay
Jen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m not big into Buffy, but this was a solid start. Not a fan of he cliffhanger ending, but that’s par for the course I guess. Artwork was great, character development was weak, leaning too heavily on the pre-developed characters I think, but if this is a new beginning, you need to build a better base. Also, story jumped around a bit with no real cohesion. Solid 3 stars. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Runalong
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
That’s a really clever way to reboot the series - the same characters but very different set up! Worth a go!
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh.. 2.5-3 stars maybe? I'm gonna have to think about this since I can't make up my mind. But I'm giving it a 3 star rating for now.

I believe this is my first comic book and I bought it as an ebook when I had finished my Buffy marathon last month. It was super short and I'm not sure I liked the changes to the story in this vs the show. I bought all 5 (or 6?) comic book that's in this comic book series and I'll read them all but I don't think I'm gonna continue after those.
Penelope (Penelope’s Picks)
4/5

*SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR THE SHOW*

When I say I am a DIE HARD Buffy fan, it is not an exaggeration. I would die for these characters. So, yes I was completely skeptical when I saw this graphic novel and realized that it was a complete revamping (no pun intended) of the series. Buffy as a millennial? Really? WHY? Why mess with Buffy as it was, chock full of everything that is fantastically 90’s? So yes, skeptical, but being the fan that I am, I had to check it out.

SO glad that I did!

Okay, so this
Cale
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This isn't really a reboot - it's a remix. Take the characters you know, spruce them up a bit and change a couple characteristics (Anya runs the magic shop while still evil, Joyce has a doctor boyfriend, Cordelia is super nice), and see what spins out this time. It's an interesting experiment, and I'm curious how far they go with it. It's a little disconcerting, but it also helps to hide the other changes that have taken place in setting the story in the modern day. The collection has a good bit ...more
Bean
Come for Jordie Bellaire's brilliant revamping (pun intended) of our beloved characters -- the reimaginings are fresh, and the thrill of seeing the Buffyverse in the present day (easter eggs and all) will tickle even the purists. Stay for Dan Mora's incredible renditions -- diehards will like what they see, and appreciate his attention to everyone's spirit and details. I've not found the other Buffy comics very satisfying when I've flipped through them, but this reboot is different. Volume 2 is ...more
Bookish
I recently read the first volume in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot from Boom Studios and I LOVED IT! This comic adaptation reimagines Buffy as a teen in the present day. The characters are the same at their cores, but they’re introduced differently–namely, they’re stripped of 90s tropes. Willow is out and has a girlfriend. Cordelia is the queen bee, but is actually super nice. Buffy is more interested in joining the track team than being a cheerleader. This series is such an interesting tak ...more
Deniz
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love it. This was the Buffy that I was longing for. I love the story, I love the characters and I love the artwork.

[image error]
Buffy's portraying is vulnerable...

...yet strong.

[image error]
Finally, a library and Giles was what I need!

I can't wait to read the second issue.
Nathan Haines
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do like getting my teeth into anything Buffy related. It was an interesting start to the reboot. Im not sure what to make of Buffy and Willow so far, otherwise Xander and Giles seem pretty much the same.

I probably would have given it 5 stars, but a little underwhelmed at the first baddies, guess i was kinda hoping for baddie of the week style like the original tv series. But then it is only the first issue.
Alright, i'll bite.
Dichotomy Girl
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think the secret to enjoying this is to view it as happening on a different earth, or in an alternate timeline a la "The Wish". ...more
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I have never seen the show nor read anything Buffy related so this was a first. Ngl I think I would have enjoyed the original more than the reboot.
Preethi
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I really need to rewatch the show. 😫
Melanie
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A modern-day retelling of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This graphic novel feels a little bit like someone's AU fanfic where every season and character from the show exists in Sunnydale High at the same time. Only one volume in so it's hard to judge too harshly but it feels like a sort of vapid retelling of one of the most influential pieces of media out there. The main draw seems to be "oh look, Buffy with a smartphone".

It's intriguing for those who liked the original show and want to see how it m
Alberto Loredo
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As a Buffy's big fan I can say: it was amazing. ...more
Christine
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Pleasantly surprised by this reboot. The art is the best I've seen in an Angel or Buffy comic ever -- it's phenomenal. And the writing has a nice modernist take on Whedon's quippy style. It sounds like the characters. They've been redesigned and updated slightly, and it is definitely a reboot/reinvisioning of the series. The writers and Boom, unlike Dark Horse, are letting it be a reimagining of the series or fanfic, and I really appreciate that.

What's interesting is I think they are having Any
Debbie
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
The idea of redoing Buffy to contemporary times is great and as far as the story there are a lot of things I liked about it - especially Willow and Joyce. I do not like the story line with Zander - no matter how bad he felt he would NEVER be tempted to let Dru bite him.

I wanted to like this better - but to be honest I just don't enjoy reading comic books or graphic novels - I am disoriented by the layout and style of them. For example -most women have the same hair -it's chunks of wavy-ness. Whi
Anna
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the art style, first of all. I like that Buffy has a job and the way she meets Xander & Willow was cute, but realistic for Sunnydale. Didn't expect the way Anya was Incorporated, or that she'd be in the series so soon. Kind of annoyed at the bi-erasure of making Willow gay from the beginning. I liked that Willow was like me in the original series (though honestly once she starts dating Tara, she kind of bi-erasures herself courtesy of Joss consistently having her character hammer h ...more
Mila Menna
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Characterization was so good! Art was fantastic. Perfect AU
Kwtsos
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I will give this 3 stars. The biggest issue here is that it is so fast paced to the point that it is no longer believable. I get that they do not want just to transcribe the series into the comic book form but they try to add new elements to the mix and make something new with the characters. But it all happens so fast. Buffy becomes friends with Willow and Xander and the scooby gang is formed in a matter of pages since they first meet. Xander feels neglected and jealous but we see little to mak ...more
Lola
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts On: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1

1. I like that this issue begins with Buffy working a shitty, fast-food job. What says slayer trying to be an ordinary teenager more than working at a chain named Tuna Verse. Also, is this a popular chain in Sunnydale? If so, why?

2. Okay, new comic, new art, I get that, but why is the vamp who attacks Willow so monster-like? Is it supposed to be particularly old? Because most vampires are just people with vamp face.

3. I like the style updates, particula
Gabriel
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ripped through this! First of you should know that I am, a huge Buffy fan - I have Mr Pointy tattooed on my arm- so yes, big fan.

It was so fun to revisit Buffy from the very beginning. What really made this new iteration of her so good was the perfect mix of the familiar w the new.

Xander, Willow, Giles, Cordelia
Their all there, along w some of our favorite villains
But their circumstances have changed, certain insecurities have been circumvented while others have been exacerbated to better f
Rachel
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So BtVS came out when I was about twelve, and I watched it (and taped it!) like a maniac. I owned Buffy novels, wrote Buffy fanfiction, had Buffy related codenames for crushes. I really enjoyed this graphic novel reboot, and though there was a handful of changes that I was meh about, I felt excited to see where the story was going to diverge from my expectations.

In general though: loved the art, loved the rhythm of the snappy dialogue, loved the plot. Will definitely be rereading this and recomm
Katie
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Buffy 2019! First of all, the art is gorgeous and full of fan-centric Easter eggs, which I love! The changes to the story are all justifiable and a lot more interesting then reading the same story we already know like the back of our hands. This doesn’t ruin or change 1997 Buffy, it’s just a modern retelling that’s a whole lot of fun. I’m here for it. I didn’t go a full five stars because there was some awkward dialogue and you can tell it’s still getting its footing, but I’m excited to see what ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow #1
  • Angel & Spike #10
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch (2019-) #1
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 2
Jordie Bellaire is an American comic book colorist and writter who lives in Ireland and works for DC, Marvel, Valiant, and Image comic book publishers. She has colored Pretty Deadly, The Manhattan Projects, Moon Knight, The Vision, Magneto, Nowhere Men, Hawkeye, Batman, among other titles. As a writer, her most famous works are Redlands and the reboot of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Bellaire is credit

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #6
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #7
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8

Articles featuring this book

Ah, graphic novels—the delightful medium where visual art merges with the written word to create unforgettable stories! This year's titles are...