Start by marking “Heart of Red, Blood of Blue” as Want to Read:
Heart of Red, Blood of Blue

Heart of Red, Blood of Blue

A girl on the run. A kingdom to save.

Princess Gisela of Steinland was born without color. Albino. To add to this curse, her betrothal to Prince Jerrik of Kronga ends in his death and starts a ten-year-war her father is determined to win, even if it means bringing her out of hiding to do it. Now the savage Krongon war commander, Bloodless Kristoff, seeks the hearts of the
Published December 7th 2018 by Gated Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Red, Blood of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Red, Blood of Blue

Start your review of Heart of Red, Blood of Blue
Brittany
4 Stars!!

“I’d say rumors keep people warm on cold winter nights. I’d say the only way to justify hatred against another person is to make them into savages in your mind. Then it’s easy. Label someone as your enemy, and it becomes effortless to believe anything you hear about them—far-fetched as it may be.

A girl on the run. A kingdom to save.

Princess Gisela of Steinland was born without color. Albino. When her betrothal to Prince Jerrik of Kronga ends in his death, it starts a ten-year war
Katie W
This book is long, but it caught my attention from the start and didn't release me from it's grasp until the last word was read. I went on an epic journey, right along with Princess Gisela and the other fantastic characters from this book. Beautifully written, with both wonderfully tragic and highly satisfying events, this story will immerse a reader deep in the depths of the pages, fully engaging the imagination. I absolutely loved it!

Gisela is a multi-dimensional character that endures a lot
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Wow. What a story! It takes you on great journeys through neighboring lands who are all at war so the danger is everywhere. There is an intensity bubbling from the very beginning of the story and it just keeps growing in strength throughout the whole book. Since this book is so long, by the end of the book I felt half crazed with desperation! Those intense moments just keep coming until the very, very end.

Gisela had an excellent growing arc. She did a lot of growing up throughout the book. She
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Epic, intense, full of adventure, deception, and character growth! I especially loved seeing Gisela discovering her flaws and rising to the challenges before her to realize her inner strength. The plot is strong with the politics and dynamics of kingdoms, greedy kings, evil assassins, commanders of armies, the commoners they either oppress or support, and the women who must stand strong despite the injustice running rampant. I was never confused or overwhelmed by the details, even when there is ...more
Julie Carpenter
First off I have to say that this is a big book! But do not let that stop you from picking it up. I did not want to set it down once I started it. I was hooked completely. The beginning...oh my word! The ending...even more oh my word! I kept hoping and making my own little predictions of how the story would turn out. I had many moments where I would talk to Princess Gisela and ask her what she was thinking, sometimes I would tell her to stop and don't do that, and other times I was cheering her ...more
Mindy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a masterpiece! I absolutely loved it. Everything about it wonderful. Gisela is the perfect heroine. Naive at first, with reasons I don’t want to disclose but her journey is incredible and revealing. Secrets and lies and huge revelations. The plot is engrossing and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. There were amazing twists I didn’t see coming and the climax was so heart pounding I read it twice! Blood of Red, Blood of Blue is one of my top reads of the year.
A.L. Sowards
I picked this up thinking it was historical fiction, but I’d say it’s more historical fantasy, perhaps the same subgenre as The Ascendance Trilogy or The Princess Bride—no magic, fictional locations, with the medieval time period lending flavor rather than providing a deeply researched setting. The story is told from Gisela’s POV. She’s a princess hidden away by her father because the military leader in the neighboring kingdom is trying to kill off her family. Also, she’s an albino, and most ...more
Charissa
This is a beautiful, heartwrenching medieval suspense-romance. The story starts out with our tragic heroine, Gisela. She is 7 years old and is at her betrothal ceremony to tie her to Prince Jerrik of Kronga. They will wed in 7 more years. She is an albino princess of King Albert the Red. Suddenly her peace is shattered when Prince Jerrik’s father yells, “Attack!” and all hell breaks loose. She watches as her father draws his sword and kills the other king, and then her betrothed, Prince Jerrik. ...more
♠ Tabi ♠
Jul 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
this kinda sounds like a better version of Kingdom Cold and hope that's true
Rebecca
The idea for this story started several years ago with an albino girl who popped into my head and didn't want to leave. Even as I worked on other stories, Gisela was never far away. She was looking for love, acceptance, some humor, and peace for her country--things most of us hope for in one form or another.

Find out more about this book on my website, including 11 original piano solos I composed to go along with the novel: https://www.rebeccabelliston.com/hear...

Learn more about albinism at
Dana Bolen
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Belliston is the Queen of Suspense! The action was well-paced, and the plot took many unexpected turns. What a thrilling ride!

At first reading the story in present tense was different because I am not used to it, but it grew on me quickly, and I enjoyed being inside Gisela's head, seeing and understanding everything through her perspective. She is a strong character. Gisela definitely has a place in the #metoo movement, but she didn't let her experiences define her.

Compelling themes I
Toni
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book! I am a hopeless romantic and this book did not disappoint. I am bummed it is a 2018 title and not eligible for BoB. It is probably too romantic for some on our selection committee anyway. I will be buying a copy for my library though to recommend to my students that are fellow hopeless romantics!
April
Wow! I wasn’t sure what to expect from this novel; oftentimes that can be to its benefit. Once I began this Story I found it incredibly hard to put down and walk away from… It’s one of those novels you keep thinking about and can’t wait to dive back into. It does not show perfect people, but those who are imperfect and yet keep moving forward and often times more than not going in the right direction.

So glad I picked this one up! I have a feeling it will be lingering with me for a while.
Lindsay Gassin
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took me by surprise in the best way possible! It wasn’t until about a third of the way through I started to feel invested in the story, however before I knew it I was well over halfway and couldn’t put it down for the life of me, which did not earn me any “Mother-of-the-year” points for sure. It is a long book, and I finished it in one day. Yeah....I *might* have completely overused the “mommy needs to go to the bathroom” line, enough so I’m sure my kids thought something was seriously ...more
Coco.V
Nov 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/20/2019)! ...more
Wendee
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Sometimes predictable and yet very satisfying.
Fantasy is not my genre of choice but this was a grand adventure. I also love that while long, the book stands alone and does not have to be drawn out into a million sequels. I would not mind more, but feel pleased by a full complete story.
It gears towards a YA audience however seems to appeal to adult women as well. I have several people to recommend it to.
Cindy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's been too long since I read a book that made me sacrifice my sleep! That is part of the reason it gets 5 stars (also I won it, the author is such a sweet lady, and I loved a series she wrote) So good feelings all around!
The 10 year war started at Gisela's betrothal ceremony and she's been hidden ever since. When she is asked to marry another king, she begins to choose her own path. Honesty, I didn't like the knight she had an infatuation with at first. She had a lot to learn but the most
Lauren Homer
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once I started reading, I was hooked! It was just an overall good read. There were twists and turns and unexpected circumstances. I appreciated that the main character was not a perfect, strong person at first. She made mistakes and had to deal with the consequences. Several of my suspicions were correct but some things I did not even think to suspect!
Michelle White Baker
Absolutely Enthralling

This was a book I could not put down. The characters were deeply fleshed out, you rooted for them from the beginning.
There was never a lull in the story, it held me captivated until the very end. One of the best I have read this year.
Rachel
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting!

This book is amazing! The plot is so unique and well written and full of so many layers that I never knew what to expect. The characters were flawed and yet kept fighting for peace as they learned to see the full truth. Once I started reading I just couldn't put it down! I would definitely recommend this book!
Jenee
(I wonder if this might be my favorite book to have read in 2019...?)
This coming-of-age, medieval story was: brilliant, intense, and well executed!
Bravo, Ms. Belliston.
Valerie Waters
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! Rebecca is a great author. Also just realized this is my daughter’s seminary teacher!!
Stephanie
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book broke a lot of the modern young adult stereotypes. For one thing, it’s standalone, not a trilogy, which is really nice to see. The bad guys are actually bad, the princess grows and develops, there are consequences for her actions when she acts stupidly. The princess doesn’t fight battles and isn’t a pro horse rider. She’s not even beautiful. The book has some great plot points and twists and overall a great read. Definitely will look for more from this author.
Emma
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an absolutely phenomenal book. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much because this book had so few reviews, but man was I blown away. This is an incredibly well written book, especially in its pacing (you'll never be bored), its complex characters and their complex thought patterns, and its wonderful plot. I never wanted to put it down. You won't be dissapointed!
Sarah K.
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not review books very often but as this book has very little recognition at this point, I feel it is necessary to show my support.

I was a big fan of this book. It had great writing, a heart wrenching plot and made you want to stab someone. It checked all of my boxes!
Arlee Stoddard
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding- I couldn't put it down. I felt this tale was full of original twists that kept coming. Every time I thought I had predicted the ending, something new and clever threw a wrench in my prediction. It kept me guessing and entertained until the end. I would recommend this book to anyone. The author did an excellent job of putting me in the story and helping me feel with the characters. The princess's triumphs and struggles were my own. I felt every page.
Heather Green
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stick with it!

Although i love all the other works by this author, I wasn't sure about this one. The beginning was boring and the groping by the green king really turned me off. Like really! I was so tempted to stop reading, but i thought I'd read just a little farther and if it didn't get better, I'd get rid of it. So glad i didn't give up!! I loved this book! I loved the cover, the humor, The selfless sacrifices, the unconditional love. Deep, moving characters. I love how talented the author
Jaclyn
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! An amazing fairytale type story that was inspired and gripping. The characters were deep, the story moved at a wonderful pace and the writing was intelligent. I flew through this book and would read anything by this author.
Rosa Violeta
I hated the main character's naivety in the first few chapters, but appreciated her growth throughout the story. I was pleasantly surprised by the twist, but I kind of saw it coming. The world was a mix of real and made up, but the characters were well developed. Really enjoyed it overall. Highly recommend.
Rachel Boling
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The main character is very engaging, the plot is interesting, there are political machinations, and a compelling love story.

• Gathering Frost (Once Upon a Curse, #1)
  • Pathways (Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • My Not So Wicked Stepbrother (My Not So Wicked #1)
  • Evermore (The Lost Princesses, #1)
  • Abigail
  • Soot and Slipper
  • 27 Ways to Find a Boyfriend (27 Ways, #1)
  • Always (The Lost Princesses, #0.5)
  • A Guarded Heart
  • A Song for the Stars
  • The Dragon Princess: Sleeping Beauty Reimagined
  • Finding Jack (A Fairy Tale Flip Book 1)
  • That Wedding (That Boy, #2)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Thief of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore #1)
  • My Not So Wicked Ex-Fiancé (My Not So Wicked #2)
  • From Ash and Stone
  • Miss Adeline's Match
Rebecca Belliston loves books and music. Even more, she loves to write both. As an author, she writes clean romances with heart-pounding suspense. She also composes religious and classical-style piano and vocal music. When she’s not writing, she loves to play tennis, make sarcastic comments, or cuddle up with a good book—usually not at the same time. She and her husband have five children and live ...more