Start by marking “The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)

The Unkindest Tide

(October Daye #13)

When the Luidaeg—October "Toby" Daye's oldest and most dangerous ally—tells her the time has come for the Selkies t
Published September 3rd 2019 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about The Unkindest Tide, please sign up.
Steven Currently contracted books: The Unkindest Tide (coming out in September 2019). 2020 - The Killing Frost; 2021 - When Sorrows Come; 2022 - Sleep No…moreCurrently contracted books: The Unkindest Tide (coming out in September 2019). 2020 - The Killing Frost; 2021 - When Sorrows Come; 2022 - Sleep No More; 2023 - These Violent Delights; And whenever we get to the last two books (whether after these 5 contracted or if there are more in between) are Fear No More and Come to Dust.

These are taken directly from Seanan's twitter, which she updates regularly. Also, at any time, they're subject to change per the needs of the story. (Just like When Sorrows Come got shift back in the series).

Manda Lees It won't be. Cosair (an imprint of Hachette) seem to have the rights to the October books for the UK and associated regions, one of them being…moreIt won't be. Cosair (an imprint of Hachette) seem to have the rights to the October books for the UK and associated regions, one of them being Australia. And for whatever reason, they haven't released the last three books (11, 12, 13) in physical or electronic versions. You either have to buy the hardback or wait the year to get the American PB edition.(less)

Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

LUIDAEG! LUIDAEG! LUIDAEG! Everyone shout it with me!!!

(Now, ask yourself... were you pronouncing it correctly as "loo-shack"... or incorrectly as "loo-ee-day-g"... or struggling to pronounce it at all?)

Yeah, Antigone of Albany, the sea witch, Cousin Annie, the Luidaeg is my favorite character in the October Daye series, and this one has SO MUCH LOOSHACK that I can't function! We get to see deep into he
Betül
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**

description

The Unkindest Tide is another wonderful addition to the October Daye series. This is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series, and I am so happy that after 13 books the author still delivers intriguing and amazing story-lines. In almost each book we get to visit a new place and be introduced to new characters. The characters keep on growing and learning new things. It is amazing to see what else is possible and hidden in this amazing w
Elizabeth
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group - DAW for the opportunity to review this as an eARC in exchange for my open and honest opinion.

The character October Daye comes to you in this novel from a deeply personal place. Unlike other novels in the October Daye series that are typically full of high adventure and blood feuds, in some cases with literal blood, this one speaks to the heart and soul of what makes October, October. Who she is. That is her love of her family. One of the mem
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

I have been waiting for this forever, for the Luidaeg to call in all of Toby’s debts and it FINALLY happened.  The day of reckoning for the Selkies has come and their mother has called the time, place and price that will be demanded of them.

The time is neigh, the place is the Duchy of Ships (think pirates and you are hal
Beth
Its always a good day when reading a book by Seanan McGuire. The Unkindest Tide was simply fantastic!

Toby bargain with the Ludwig has come due and its going to effect her even more personally than she imagined. Her a few select friends tag along to the ocean realm where another 1st born comes into play. If dealing with the Selkies wasn't enough, there is conflict in the Merrow world, pulling Toby right into their turmoil as well.

To top it all off, Toby's daughter is now caught in the middle of
Ina
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
I have been waiting to find out what is Toby's role in Luidaeg's bargain with Selkies forever. Please give me this book ASAP.

Jen Davis
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book. It gave me every single thing I love about this series all wrapped up in one fantastic story. For a long time, we’ve been talking about the Luidaeg and her complicated history with the Selkies. Well, here, the bill finally comes due. Now that Toby is strong enough in her power to change blood, the Sea Witch is calling in her debts and forcing Toby to turn the Selkies back into Roane.

It’s not a straightforward journey. Things happen in the politics of the Undersea a
Kira
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Luidaeg finally calls in Toby's debt and needs her to help resolve her selkie problem. Toby, the Luidaeg, and a few others go the Duchy of Ships. I had been waiting for this book for a long time. There weren't any surprises as to what the Luidaeg wanted Toby to do. It was easy to guess considering Toby's special abilities.

The Duchy of Ships was interesting. I always like it when Toby goes to other places and explores more of the world. The leader of the Duchy of ships was awesome, and I rea
Kelsea
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

I’ve enjoyed every October Daye novel (and that’s saying quite a lot, as the series is now 13 books long), but while I always find them fun, they don’t always make me emotional.

The Unkindest Tide, true to its name, left me with watery eyes. This story felt personal to me, as I read it while watching my eight-month-old daughter play happily, and so much of this story is about motherhood. The joys, the pain, and the grief of the worst imaginable thing happening to your children.

The Luida
Shelley
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Unkindest Tide, by author Seanan McGuire, is the Thirteenth installment in the October Daye series. Toby Day, Knight Errant, Private Investigator, Hero to the Realm, receives an unwelcome guest, Luidaeg. Luidaeg, the Eldest of Maeve's offspring, Sea Witch, and Toby's friend and adversary, calls on Toby to answer a call of duty for which she owes Luidaeg. In a matter of weeks, Luidaeg must deal with the Selkies who she made an ultim
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I've enjoyed October Daye books before Seanan McGuire became a big name due to her Wayward Children series. She's a prolific writer even if I don't always enjoy her plots (which is her weakest story element.) So when I learned we're getting book 13 in the series, AND its about the Luidaeg's deal with the Selkies I knew I had to check in with her fae series.

I really love this cover and feel like it goes so well with the major setting of
Marzie
Shelves: arc-net-galley
How long, how long? How long have we waited, readers, for Antigone of Albany, aka The Luidaeg, to find justice for what was taken from her? At last we are at the close of Act 2 and she has the means by which to restore her beloved children (that would be Toby) only how many goddamn conspiracies and coups and murders may try to prevent things for a while longer. No matter, Toby and her friends are going to fix everything up right as rain. Sure Tobes might bleed a bit in the process, okay, a lot i ...more
Stacy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: requested, netgalley
I have been waiting for the Luidaeg to call in her debts and it's finally time.

There was a lot of drama, danger and hectic situations in THE UNKINDEST TIDE, but I think I was expecting it to be MORE dramatic, dangerous and hectic. I enjoyed visiting the Duchy of Ships. I enjoyed learning about the people that live there as well as Captain Pete. Toby's usual allies are along for the ride and as usual, they all bring something extra to the storyline.

Let's talk about Gillian because she seems to b
Emma
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, magic, vampires, fae
Was this worth the wait! Hell,yeah! This was the story that I always imagined would come at the end of the series. I’m really pleased it’s come sooner and that there’s still plenty of room for lots and lots more. And I’m pleased it turned out more happily than anticipated. I loved Tybalt and Toby in this one especially one of their conversations about the future. I have loved the character growth and development of Toby throughout the series and in this one we see it for the Luidaeg. It’s great ...more
Lorena
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's always a joy to return to this series and see what October and the gang are going to do next. This adventure deals with Undersea fae politics, and a certain Sea Witch's issues with the selkies. We get to visit an entirely different fae kingdom, with awesome and inventive details, as usual. This is definitely one of the strongest urban fantasy series out there!
keikii Eats Books
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To read more reviews from this author and others, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!

92 points, 4 stars!

Quote:
"Let her," said Liz. "She has a remarkably good track record, all things considered. She almost never comes back with unexpected corpses."

Review:
It is the first Tuesday in September, everyone! Another year and another great addition to the October Daye series. Every year, I look forward to this day. And then I read it all in a few hours and have to wait for the next year for m
Colleen Corgel
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a much more restrained outing this time for Toby and her found family, mostly focusing on the unresolved plot of the Luidaeg (the sea witch) and the Selkies. This reckoning was always going to happen, especially after the events of the last book. I thought that Seanan McGuire does such a great job setting the tone of her books, and with this almost weary feeling that permeates the book, I felt like something sad was going to go down. Even with some of the lighter elements of the plot, l ...more
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The October Daye series is one of my all-time favorite series. Every time a new installment is released, I count down the days until I can be back in this world. These are my ultimate comfort books. If you like any of the following things, I highly recommend checking them out: Faerie (the dark side of it), Found family, truly excellent character growth (and just characters in general), engaging plots or a slow-burn romance.

The Unkindest Tide is actually one of my favorite installments so far. It
Karissa
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the thirteenth book in the October Daye series and was a very well done continuation of that series. I read on McGuire's blog that this series has been extended to 17 books and I am grateful. This is my favorite urban fantasy series out there right now.

It’s time for Luidaeg to kept her promise to the Selkies and she needs October’s help to do this. They must travel to the Duchy of Ships and meet yet another Firstborn. Of course other things happen when they get there, Dianda Lorden’s bro
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Unkindest Tide
Series: October Daye Book #13
Stand Alone Title: recommended in order
Author: Seanan McQuire
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Blurb: Hundreds of years ago, the Selkies made a deal with the sea witch: they would have the sea for as long as she allowed it, and when the time came, she would call in all their debts at once. Many people assumed that day would never come. Those people were wrong.

Alexa
Darcy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, fae, e-book, 2019
With this book Toby gets pulled into things she would rather not, but the Luidaeg is a force not to be ignored even if at times they are friendly. I hated that the current generation of Selkies were paying for what their ancestors did, it didn't seem fair, but then again life never is. The rules laid out by Luidaeg seemed especially harsh after a comment by one clan leader. It didn't help that there were those in Faire that didn't want things to change, for the Roane to come back, which lead to ...more
Penny Noble
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hate when a new book by this author comes out: I know I will devour it quickly, and it will be at least another year before I can read another in this series. Toby has come such a long way since the beginning of this series, and this book just shows how. She now has a huge circle of friends/family, a group she knows she can trust implicitly. She knows she has to protect them, but she can’t always, and when the Luidaeg comes to have Toby fulfill her debt, she knows she must let them enter dange ...more
Samantha Brody
Oh hey the start of a new arc IN THE OCEAN. The long-awaited promise from the Luidaeg to the Selkies is upon us & twas very interesting to discover some layered motivations behind the Roane’s demise. Not quite as many answers were given as I wanted—and so many questions raised instead (though we finally acknowledged the Trouble with Marcia at least)!

I’d still love to see Toby in some “real” danger again, as there is truly only so many times we can disembowel/smash her before the dramatic ef
J
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Kind of meh as October Daye books go.

I wanted to see the ending we do get, but it doesn't feel like it really follows from the rest of the book.
So much of it is spent on this bit with Saltmist and the murder investigation and both just feel half-baked. There's not enough attention given to either of them to be interesting--the Saltmist bit isn't a very good infiltration arc, and the murder investigation doesn't have enough of a mystery to it.

And then the climax is nice, but it doesn't really spr
Coral
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advance review copy of this book by NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

For transparency, I should probably start by acknowledging that this is my favorite series, out of all of the series in the world. I generally enjoy Seanan McGuire's storytelling, her sense of humor, and her knack for very good foreshadowing, and I specifically love this world and these characters. The Luidaeg is my favorite character. So the fact that I enjoyed this book: not a surprise.

The rest of th
Kristy Sartain- Whispering Pretty Stories Reviews
First, thank you so much to NetGalley.com and DAW Books for allowing me access to this ARC.
Second, this review is for Book #13 of a series that isn't close to being done yet. Please keep that in mind if you haven't read Books 1-12. But you should TOTALLY read books 1-12. Now.

The Unkindest Tale is when the Luidaeg FINALLY has her reckoning with the Selkies. These has been a prophecy about a blood worker and the Selkies, but I haven't actually heard or read this prophecy yet, so it must be super
Glennis
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come. And the novella is good as well.

For once the book doesn’t start with an emergency that Toby must fling herself out the door into trouble. The Sea Witch has finally come to collect from all the Selkies the long-held debt for the slaughter of the Roane. The advance time still doesn’t allow for murder and treason to not happen during the meeting. We meet another of the Firstborn along with her Kingdom in the Pacific Ocean. This does allow Toby to fulfill her obligation to the Sea Wi
Hobart
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
★ ★ ★ ★
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
I finally took my eyes off the water, peering at her through the disheveled curtain of my hair. “Are you just babbling at me until I start feeling better?”

"Yup!” Marcia beamed. “Is it working?”

My stomach was no longer roiling. I didn’t trust myself to stand up on my own, but I also didn’t feel like I was about to introduce the barnacles to my breakfast. Again. I blinked. “Actually, yes.”

“Sometimes you need to take peoples’ minds off
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Untitled (The Iron Covenant, #2)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • The Sharp Bite of Ritual (Spellcrackers.com, #6)
  • Rise of the Demon  (Kara Gillian, #9)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Fallen
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Kingdom of Shadow and Light (Fever, #11)
  • Pale Blue Flames (The Maker's Song, #6)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

October Daye (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
“San Francisco is an old city,” 0 likes