Start by marking “The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)

The Unkindest Tide

(October Daye #13)

Hundreds of years ago, the Selkies made a deal with the sea witch: they would have the sea for as long as she allowed it, and when the time came, she would call in all their debts at once. Many people assumed that day would never come. Those people were wrong.

When the Luidaeg—October "Toby" Daye's oldest and most dangerous ally—tells her the time has come for t
Published September 3rd 2019 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about The Unkindest Tide, please sign up.
Steven Currently contracted books: The Unkindest Tide (coming out in September 2019). 2020 - The Killing Frost; 2021 - When Sorrows Come; 2022 - Sleep No…moreCurrently contracted books: The Unkindest Tide (coming out in September 2019). 2020 - The Killing Frost; 2021 - When Sorrows Come; 2022 - Sleep No More; 2023 - These Violent Delights; And whenever we get to the last two books (whether after these 5 contracted or if there are more in between) are Fear No More and Come to Dust.

These are taken directly from Seanan's twitter, which she updates regularly. Also, at any time, they're subject to change per the needs of the story. (Just like When Sorrows Come got shift back in the series).

Manda Lees It won't be. Cosair (an imprint of Hachette) seem to have the rights to the October books for the UK and associated regions, one of them being…moreIt won't be. Cosair (an imprint of Hachette) seem to have the rights to the October books for the UK and associated regions, one of them being Australia. And for whatever reason, they haven't released the last three books (11, 12, 13) in physical or electronic versions. You either have to buy the hardback or wait the year to get the American PB edition.(less)

Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

LUIDAEG! LUIDAEG! LUIDAEG! Everyone shout it with me!!!

(Now, ask yourself... were you pronouncing it correctly as "loo-shack"... or incorrectly as "loo-ee-day-g"... or struggling to pronounce it at all?)

Yeah, Antigone of Albany, the sea witch, Cousin Annie, the Luidaeg is my favorite character in the October Daye series, and this one has SO MUCH LOOSHACK that I can't
Bradley
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know that wonderful woman/monster, the Sea Witch? You know, the LUIDAEG? Pronounced loo-shack? *sigh* I love her so much. To some, she's a monster. But to me, she's just family. Family I've loved since the earliest part of the series. *sigh*

And now, we get SO MUCH OF HER. :) Lots of watery adventure with Toby with her squire, of course, but the main tale IS about Justice and Mercy. And tons of skin. TONS of skin. And before you guys get your minds in the gutter, I'm talking about
Emma
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic, fae, vampires, fantasy
Was this worth the wait! Hell,yeah! This was the story that I always imagined would come at the end of the series. I’m really pleased it’s come sooner and that there’s still plenty of room for lots and lots more. And I’m pleased it turned out more happily than anticipated. I loved Tybalt and Toby in this one especially one of their conversations about the future. I have loved the character growth and development of Toby throughout the series and in this one we see it for the Luidaeg. It’s great ...more
Betül
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**

description

The Unkindest Tide is another wonderful addition to the October Daye series. This is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series, and I am so happy that after 13 books the author still delivers intriguing and amazing story-lines. In almost each book we get to visit a new place and be introduced to ne
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

3.5 hearts

I have been waiting for this forever, for the Luidaeg to call in all of Toby’s debts and it FINALLY happened.  The day of reckoning for the Selkies has come and their mother has called the time, place and price that will be demanded of them.

The time is neigh, the place is the Duchy of Ships (think p/>Review
Elizabeth
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group - DAW for the opportunity to review this as an eARC in exchange for my open and honest opinion.

The character October Daye comes to you in this novel from a deeply personal place. Unlike other novels in the October Daye series that are typically full of high adventure and blood feuds, in some cases with literal blood, this one speaks to the heart and soul of what makes October, October. Who she is. That is her love of her family. One of the mem
Lisa Wolf
Another excellent adventure with Toby and company! This series continues to be powerful, engaging, full of heart, and loaded with surprises. Here's hoping Seanan McGuire continues writing about Toby for years and years and years to come.
Craig
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the lucky thirteenth volume of October Daye's adventures. This one feels just as fresh and vibrant as all of the previous ones. Somehow McGuire manages to convey the feeling that she really cares about what happens to her characters and how they act, and she expects the readers to, also. There's such a rich backstory and detailed world built up that it's becoming difficult to keep track of it all; she's going to have to start issuing scorecards soon. This one, though, is set in a new cor ...more
Jen Davis
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book. It gave me every single thing I love about this series all wrapped up in one fantastic story. For a long time, we’ve been talking about the Luidaeg and her complicated history with the Selkies. Well, here, the bill finally comes due. Now that Toby is strong enough in her power to change blood, the Sea Witch is calling in her debts and forcing Toby to turn the Selkies back into Roane.

It’s not a straightforward journey. Things happen in the politics of th
Suz
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4.5+

This was a great entry in the series! I thought for much of it that McGuire had Toby spinning her wheels as filler, but I should have known better. It all comes together, surprisingly, touchingly, horrifyingly...it comes together.

I still don't like Gillian. I'm finding her a bit too petulant and not enough the bewildered new comer that she should be. I'm invested enough in the characters to feel defensive for Toby where Gillian is concerned, so there's that.
Beth
Its always a good day when reading a book by Seanan McGuire. The Unkindest Tide was simply fantastic!

Toby bargain with the Ludwig has come due and its going to effect her even more personally than she imagined. Her a few select friends tag along to the ocean realm where another 1st born comes into play. If dealing with the Selkies wasn't enough, there is conflict in the Merrow world, pulling Toby right into their turmoil as well.

To top it all off, Toby's daughter is now caught in the mi
Ina
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
I have been waiting to find out what is Toby's role in Luidaeg's bargain with Selkies forever. Please give me this book ASAP.

Wanda
I can’t tell you how much I enjoy spending time in October Daye’s world--the land of Faerie right adjacent to our own world. Where Hobs, Pixies, and Brownies (among many others) inhabit the land and Mermaids, Selkies, and octopus-headed Cephali live undersea in the Kingdom of Saltmist. I keep meaning to find some books on fairy folklore to brush up on my fae identification skills.

This book features the Luidaeg (the Sea Witch) prominently. As one of the First Born of Faerie, she has a
Shelley
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Unkindest Tide, by author Seanan McGuire, is the Thirteenth installment in the October Daye series. Toby Day, Knight Errant, Private Investigator, Hero to the Realm, receives an unwelcome guest, Luidaeg. Luidaeg, the Eldest of Maeve's offspring, Sea Witch, and Toby's friend and adversary, calls on Toby to answer a call of duty for which she owes Luidaeg. In a matter of weeks, Luidaeg must deal wi
Kelsea
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

I’ve enjoyed every October Daye novel (and that’s saying quite a lot, as the series is now 13 books long), but while I always find them fun, they don’t always make me emotional.

The Unkindest Tide, true to its name, left me with watery eyes. This story felt personal to me, as I read it while watching my eight-month-old daughter play happily, and so much of this story is about motherhood. The joys, the pain, and the grief of the worst imaginable thing happening to
Kira
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Luidaeg finally calls in Toby's debt and needs her to help resolve her selkie problem. Toby, the Luidaeg, and a few others go the Duchy of Ships. I had been waiting for this book for a long time. There weren't any surprises as to what the Luidaeg wanted Toby to do. It was easy to guess considering Toby's special abilities.

The Duchy of Ships was interesting. I always like it when Toby goes to other places and explores more of the world. The leader of the Duchy of ships was awesome, and I rea
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

I've enjoyed October Daye books before Seanan McGuire became a big name due to her Wayward Children series. She's a prolific writer even if I don't always enjoy her plots (which is her weakest story element.) So when I learned we're getting book 13 in the series, AND its about the Luidaeg's deal with the Selkies I knew I had to check in with her fae series.

I really love this cover and feel like it goes so well with the major setting of The Unkindest Tide... the DuWriter...
The
Stacy
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: requested, netgalley
I have been waiting for the Luidaeg to call in her debts and it's finally time.

There was a lot of drama, danger and hectic situations in THE UNKINDEST TIDE, but I think I was expecting it to be MORE dramatic, dangerous and hectic. I enjoyed visiting the Duchy of Ships. I enjoyed learning about the people that live there as well as Captain Pete. Toby's usual allies are along for the ride and as usual, they all bring something extra to the storyline.

Let's talk about Gillian because sh
Melliane
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I am a total October Daye fan and I look forward to every new novel! Who could have said that after so many volumes the series would be more awesome than ever? Yes, because it is the case and I was delighted to meet all the characters for a new adventure!

Toby finally thought that life was quiet, at least a little bit, so she could get on afte
Sharon L
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another steady installment in the October Daye series, with lots of feel, quite a bit but never nearly enough Luidaeg, some Dianda (too little), Annoying Gillian is being annoying, Toby kept bleeding over herself and Tybalt was a Shakespearian romance as always.

Furthermore we learn a little more about the Merrow and the Undersea, we meet the coolest pirate ever, we see history being made and a wrong being righted.

Also, who is Marcia, when all is said and done in this series will Toby a
Kathy Davie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Thirteenth in the October Daye urban fantasy series and revolving around a changeling knight with her chosen family. The focus is on the Luidaeg and the debt she's calling in on the Selkies and on Toby.

My Take
McGuire provides quite a bit of background on what's happened in the series. But I gotta tell ya, it mostly made me want to re-read the entire series for a better understanding of what's going on and of character interactions. Sure, McGuire uses first person protagonist point-of-view fr/>My
Marzie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-net-galley
How long, how long? How long have we waited, readers, for Antigone of Albany, aka The Luidaeg, to find justice for what was taken from her? At last we are at the close of Act 2 and she has the means by which to restore her beloved children (that would be Toby) only how many goddamn conspiracies and coups and murders may try to prevent things for a while longer. No matter, Toby and her friends are going to fix everything up right as rain. Sure Tobes might bleed a bit in the process, okay, a lot in t ...more
Katie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seanan McGuire is so good at answering questions and advancing the plot while still leaving PLENTY of story left to tell.
Katy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It's the 13th book in the series and I've already been solidly won over by October and her rag tag group of faerie friends, so all I had to do was start reading and fall into their world for a short, sweet time. My only sore point is it went by too quickly! And Seanan added a novella from Raj’s POV at the end of the book so I really I have no right to complain. I appreciated the addition of a non binary character in the novella at the end!
Julie S
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This latest Toby Daye adventure was so good. It featured the Selkies and other aquatic and Undersea fae. It's always fun to have the sea witch around, especially if she is demanding payment of Toby for all of the various favors she has done over the years. There are few series that in book thirteen do have that many surprises and mysteries, and I hope Seanan keeps writing these forever.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
4.5ish, maybe 5 Stars ... Tight, fast-paced, and affective

It was hard putting this book down! My eyes are tired from staying up late. This book was worth it. “The Unkindest Tide” brought out so many emotions. What will Toby’s long-term HEA look like? *bites nails* Thus may be my favorite October Daye book in the series.

Library eloan
keikii Eats Books
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To read more reviews from this author and others, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!

92 points, 4 stars!

Quote:
"Let her," said Liz. "She has a remarkably good track record, all things considered. She almost never comes back with unexpected corpses."

Review:
It is the first Tuesday in September, everyone! Another year and another great addition to the October Daye series. Every year, I look forward to this day. And then I read it all in a few hours and have to wait for the next year for more
Becky
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love everything in this series and this is no exception. However, it's not a stand-out installment to me. I thought, given how long the Luidaeg has been making threats to this end, that this book was going to be wildly painful, and I guess I'm glad it wasn't, but also somehow mildly disappointed? IDK ya'll, feelings are hard.
I love everyone in this book.
Also, the Raj novella was like... literally everything I've ever wanted from a Raj story. Like actually.
Bonnie
Short Summary: The Unkindest Tide, the thirteenth installment, when the Sea Witch decides it’s time for the Selkies to finally fulfill their promise and Toby must be there to help her bring the Roane back.

Thoughts: This installment was the most tedious since this series began and I’m not sure if it was my expectations of awesomeness, the plot, the marshmallow ending, or Toby’s proclamations like “Someone call for a hero? I asked, and punched her in the face, but reading this was like slogging through quicksand.

Verdict: This installmenquicksand.
:back.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Untitled (The Iron Covenant, #2)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • The Sharp Bite of Ritual (Spellcrackers.com, #6)
  • Rise of the Demon  (Kara Gillian, #9)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Kingdom of Shadow and Light (Fever, #11)
  • Pale Blue Flames (The Maker's Song, #6)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and share my hou(Rosemary

October Daye (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
“As my squire, part of Quentin’s job is accompanying me when I do stupid shit; it’s a learning experience. Most of what he’s learning is how to get blood out of his clothes, but hey, at least it’s educational.” 2 likes
“What you mean and what you say should be similar, or you risk people not understanding you.” 1 likes