Start by marking “The Sweetest Match” as Want to Read:
The Sweetest Match

The Sweetest Match

She hid secret messages in frosting, thinking no one would notice.

Abby Tyler welcomes you to the witty, well-meaning busybodies of Applebottom, Missouri, where the community takes its pies -- and its matchmaking -- very seriously.

When Sandy Miller emerges from her shack on the edge of town after eighteen years, she finds a job making tea cakes for a little shop on Town S
Published March 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Sweetest Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweetest Match

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

She liked to wave her arms to express herself, and her dress had flouncy sleeves that made her look a bit like a flying squirrel.

Gertrude had always been a sourpuss, but in her heart of hearts, she loved this town and everybody in it. That included Betty Johnson and her evil petit fours.

Some of the things these people had said to her eighteen years ago would ring in her ears all her life. It was one thing to forgive, but quite another to completely forget.

“This is MiMi, Lolo, JuJ
Erin Lewis
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Star Review The Sweetest Match by Abby Tyler

Abby Tyler is a new author to me and I have absolutely no idea why that is. I really enjoyed this The Sweetest Match. From Start to finish Ms.Tyler had me hooked as she wove her tale about Applebottom, Missouri (oh how I love the name).

The Sweetest Match ticked quite a few boxes for me. This is a small town contemporary romance about Sandy Miller and Andrew McCallister.

Andrew McCallister never really got over Sandy when she dropped out of high schoo
Lynda Dickson
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Sandy Miller has been leaving cryptic love messages on the cakes she decorates. When the Applebottom town busybodies discover that the object of her affection is Andrew McAllister, her high school crush who has recently returned to Applebottom to teach at that same high school, they set out to work some matchmaking magic. Will these two find their second chance at love? Or will the reappearance of a figure from her past ruin her chances of a future?

The story is told from the points-of-view of Sa
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I fell in love with the town Applebottom. Applebottom is a small town with some meddling residents. Sandy and Andrew went to high school in Applebottom. Sandy ended up pregnant and dropping out a high school. For eighteen year she lived in shack on the edge of town. Her son, Caden, is now off to college so she back in town making cakes at a tea shop. For both Andrew and Sandy they are the ones who got away now with a little help from the townspeople they are thrown together a lot. There is sill ...more
Andrea Guy
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love second chance romances and Sandy and Andrew have a lovely chance of finding love. These two are absolutely adorable and Hallmark movie worthy. The story is sweet and perfect and the small town of Applebottom is a place you want to visit after reading it.

Sandy is a woman with a past. Her son is in college now, but she's still recovering from years of exile from her hometown when she got pregnant as a teenager. The town has proven forgiving as she is now working at the tea shop decorating
Norma
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you need the story equivalent of comfort food, something that warms your heart and restores your faith in humanity. Abby Tyler gives you that and more, as she introduces you to the quirky, funny, nosey, well-meaning matchmakers of Applebottom, Missouri. Can they bring together Sandy, the once-ostracized single mother, and Andrew, a bowtie-wearing history teacher? After discovering the longing messages hidden in the cakes Sandy decorates, they're determined to try. Come along with me to ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
As sweet as the cakes!
Lisa Mandina
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet romance. I was drawn to it since I am a native Missourian, of course I'm from the opposite side of the state from where this is supposed to take place, both far north and west. However it was fun to read about Branson, a favorite vacation spot of mine, and other totally Missouri things. One thing I was a little disappointed in was that the secret words Sandy was writing on the cakes really didn't seem to be anything anyone else really saw. At least not other than one time ...more
ButtonsMom2003
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great start to a new series!

Anyone who follows my reviews knows that I don't read very many "sweet" romances these days. But, when a favorite author comes out with a new pen name, and writes a sweet book, I'm gonna read it. Abby Tyler is the new small-town romance pen name of USA Today bestselling author Deanna Roy / JJ Knight and I love nearly everything she's written – no matter what she calls herself. 😊

The Sweetest Match really is a sweet, but engaging and page turning, romance story. Sandy
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
3.5 Cranky Stars

Quick and easy holiday read. Sandy was subjected to the prejudice of a small town when she was shunned for falling pregnant at 15 to her then boyfriend Jerry. He denied all knowledge of the baby and said that she slept around. Jerry was very popular and wealthy and he was believed so Sandy and her mother moved to a place on the edge of town where Sandy didn't enter the town for 18 years while she was raising her baby Caden.

Then Caden had won a full scholarship to college this ha
Patty
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming and fun romance this Abby Tyler read is sure to get your heart pumping. This is not a dirty read, but a cozy contemporary romance that will make you believe in love.

Sandy is a romantic by heart. She believes that her heart has missed out on the one love she truly wanted. Pregnant and shunned by the town years ago, Sandy lived a lonely life of solitude raising her beautiful son. She missed out on lots of things. Her youth, graduation, college and romance.
So 18 years later she writ
Tina
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
You know those stories that remind you of home? There's nothing earth shattering or huge plot twists but they are just a pleasant happy book. That's The Sweetest Match.

Set in a small town in the Midwest, we meet cake decorator Sandy. Recently emerged from hiding in the outskirts of town since her teenage pregnancy, Sandy is cautious but optimistic about running into all of the people who shunned her years ago. Enter the match making old bitties.

Andrew has had a crush on Sandy since high school
Haddie
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, one of the main reasons I was interested in this book is the fast that I have read Deanna Roy/JJ Knight before. And I loved those books. It was no question I would enjoy The Sweetest Match.
Betty Johnson is a hoot. I really enjoyed her bit. Right off to bat, there's sparks between Andrew and Sandy. They both have mental . . . I wouldn't say struggles, but I would call them difficulties about how each other is faring. Andrew wondering whether Sandy is still going after another guy. S
Pauline
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a new pen name for one of my favorite authors, which promises wholesome heartwarming stories. Pretty much like a hot cocoa on a snowy day. Andrew has been in love with Sandy practically his whole life and is getting ready to make his move when the then 15 year Sandy starts hanging out with one of the "popular" kids. When she falls pregnant, the father says he is not the father and promptly spreads terrible rumors about Sandy that make her retreat with her mother to a cottage in the woods ...more
Charlotte
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sandy Miller, shunned by her community after falling pregnant at fifteen.....Andrew McAllister, history teacher, hotty and in love with Sandy since high school.

Beautiful story, sensitively written and sweet.

Sandy is relatable on many levels, she's down to earth with a loving heart. You can't help but root for her to get the guy and a happy ending.

Andrew is instantly likeable, behaves like a gentleman and is lovely.

This is a classic love story and a perfect starting point for anyone new
Tracey
* I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own *

This is the story of Sandy Miller, who disappeared after dropping out of high school, eighteen years later she decides to get a job in a little shop in town decorating cakes.
Betty Johnson has discovered the secret messages in the cakes left by Sandy and it has become her mission to find the man who these messages are really for, so after inviting a some men to the shop to see Sandy’s reaction she discovers that they we
Within The Pages Book Blog
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sandy was the towns outcast, having a baby at a young age. Now that her son has gone off to college, she reenters the town that caused her to stay away.

When the town busybody elder ladies decide to play matchmaker, they realize Sandy and Andrew have always had feelings for each other. Will Sandy be able to let her guard down after so many years? Can Andrew confess his love after all these years of being quiet and letting get away in high school.

This is a story from an ordinary every day couple.
Jackie Wright
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a new author to me and I have no idea why I haven’t come across Abby Tyler before now.
I love small town romance and I fell in love with Applebottom and it’s meddling residents and if you love quirky, funny, nosey meddling matchmakers this is definitely the book for you.
Sandy was the town outcast when she got pregnant in high school but now she is back in town decorating cakes for the local tea room and once again she crosses paths with Andrew the boy who crushed on her back in their hi
Eva Millien
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Readers that visit the small town of Applebottom, Missouri find reading this second chance romance to be delightfully charming and sinfully sweet. Sandy and Andrew are strong, compelling characters that easily charm readers into their story. The small town setting and the matching making townsfolk add to the ambiance of this romance as Sandy and Andrew try to rekindle their long lost flame and reach for their second chance at that happily ever after. Emotional turmoil regarding the past adds dep ...more
Christina Oswald
Truly a sweet second chance romance. After raising her son and sending him off to college, Sandy comes back into Applebottom to decorate cakes. She has been hurt by the town, but she can't stop thinking and regretting Andrew. She leaves secret words in her cakes for him.
Andrew has always regretted not going after Sandy in high school. Now she's back and the town is pushing them together.
I love Abby Tyler's writting. It's fresh, funny, sweet, and emotionally grabbing. I couldn't put this book do
Lindsay
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the minute I started Sweetest Match, I was hooked. It was a book about opening yourself up to others and taking s leap of faith to show others how you feel. I loved the secret messages on the cakes to the quant small town Applebottom. This is the town that I would love to live in where everyone one knows everyone. I fell in love with the two characters Sandy and Andrew.
Sandy had gotten pregnant and dropped out of high school and Andrew McCallister hasn’t gotten over her ever since she drop
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super sweet - of course it takes place in a bakery! Nice, cute story line with a real heartfelt touch to it as well.

Great characters that you fall in love with and leave you rooting for them to be together. A match-maker story with a happy ending.

A nice romantic, quick read with a chick-lit feel (love). Lots of romantic touches without all the graphic sex - thank you! This shows you that a story can be delightfully romantic without the in-your-face sex. I love these kinds of books so much better
Melissa B
Welcome to Applebottom a small town that's simple and cozy, rumors run like wildfire and the townspeople are nosey as hell but romance..... now that's there specialty! This was a feel good, sweet, funny read that had me smiling and laughing with the antics from the matchmaking elders of this quaint town. Sandy, once the town outcast and now the local cake decorator who's been secretly in love with Andrew the local history teacher since she was fifteen. What happens when the meddling woman discov ...more
Fleur
Shelves: 2019
This is a super sweet read, I thought Sandy was just the sweetest thing not only with her amazing cake skills but with having the guts to come back to town after what occurred 18 years earlier and the messages in her icing were ingenious! Andrew is an absolute gentleman and you can see how much he cares for Sandy not matter what happened years ago. This book will keep you turning the page and hoping Sandy and Andrew can get to get the while also being worried that on the next page something will ...more
Romantic Reviews
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Sweetest Match was a perfect cozy read to curl up around and get comfortable with. I adored the relationship between Sandy and Andrew and their sweet dynamic brought their characters to life. Andrew stole the show, being a history teacher with a heart of gold. Sandy was a heroine with a strong and determined personality that gave both characters the personalities that I look for in my romance novels. All in all, The Sweetest Match is a tasty treat for everyone that loves a happily ever after ...more
Ashley Sledge( UnderCoversBookBlog)
This was a fun, light, quick, no sexy times entertaining read! With an HEA.

Applebottom is a small town with the typical nosey gossiping townspeople.
Sandy is the town outcast who has been in love with Andrew ,the high school history teacher, since they were in high school together.
When Sandy starts working at the local cake shop she is hiding secret messages in the icing, which i thought was hilarious.
The town busy bees come up with a plan to get Sandy and Andrew together.

Its a pretty funny story
Amber Fenger
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

In this book we get to know Sandy and Andrew. The townspeople of Applebottom decide to play matchmakers. They throw together a centennial for the school and put Andrew and Sandy in charge of it. They slowly reconnect but it is hard for Sandy to fully trust people especially with what she has been through. Life for both of them becomes better. I believe the townspeople know how some people just belong together and they come up with creative ways of making that happen.

This is an honest re
Sassy Southern
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a diverse book. It was sweet but sad yet funny and heartwarming. I adored Sandy and Andrew. Sandy went through such a hard time but came out so much stronger for it. And Andrew was just so sweet and I wanted to eat him up. I just wanted more epilogue...lol but that's me just being nitpicky. If you want a good fast sweet read this is definitely the book for you!! I definitely recommend it!! - By Tina
Linda Dossett
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick, light, fun, entertaining read. No steam here, but the story has romance and the requisite HEA most of us expect. The small town of Applebottom, MO (who thinks these names up? Why, Ms. Tyler does.) Is a den of busybodies, who set out to insure this story has the spark to keep it interesting. Put your feet up, grab a glass of your favorite adult beverage and enjoy.
United Indie Book Blog
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEWER: LINDSEY

RATING: 3.5 STARS

As much as I wanted to enjoy this book I could not get into it . I did finish it but felt that it lacked some key elements . This story could have been so much more . Saying this , this would not stop me from reading another book by this author. I just felt that this book could have been more than what it was.
Abby Tyler loves puppy dogs, pie, and small towns (she grew up in one!) Her Applebottom Matchmaker Society books combine the sweet and wholesome style of romance she loves with the funny, sometimes a-little-too-truthful characters she remembers from growing up in a place where everyone knew everybody’s business.